Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 579,109
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#467850 Aug 1, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So why aren't you following HIS commands as should be your will???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>
Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.(Leviticus 20:9)
If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die.(Leviticus 20:10).
If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death.(Leviticus 20:11)
If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death.(Leviticus 20:14)
If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed.(Leviticus 20:15-16).
If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)
Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death.(Leviticus 20:27)
If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake.(Leviticus 21:9)
People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)
Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community.(Leviticus 24:14-16)
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus didn't author the Book of Leviticus. The content is not attributed to Jesus. Maybe that's what he doesn't follow those commands. Just a thought.
June was stating that "you following HIS commands" - was a reference to "God's commands" not Jesus'

Are you saying you will follow Jesus, but not "God"?

You are confused or delibrately trying to confuse others by twisting your way through the posts of others.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#467851 Aug 1, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Glad to know you're interested in obedience, but I'm not talking about you. Your protestant friends say baptism isn't necessary for salvation, it's just an act and gets you wet. My question is more to the protestant audience; if baptism is an act of obedience to Jesus and we don't obey Him regarding baptism, what does that mean in terms of your salvation?
We believe baptism to be necessary.
KayMarie
Show me where He said one thing about being baptized...

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#467852 Aug 1, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Anthony MN wrote:
Disagree.“… for in Christ Jesus, you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ”(Gal 3:26,27).
Faith is what brings one to baptism in which we are baptized "into" and "put on Christ".
New Age responded with:
Incorrect.
For Catholicism, a chiild's "faith" did not bring the child to be baptized, but in fact, it was the faith of the child's parent that brought them to their baptism.
Why are you trying to mislead people.
<quoted text>
"Faith is what brings one to baptism in which we are baptized "into" and "put on Christ". "
A infant/child cannot make it to his/her own Christening - that which he/she is baptized - by his/her own faith, because there is no indication that an infant/child has this capacity to understand what faith is - so this aspect of Anthony's statement is false and misleading, because the infant/child is brought by the parents and "their faith".
Please stop twisting the words around to what you want to interpret them to be. You are starting to sound like the Protestants.
*sighs*
No false at all. Faith is what brings the child to baptism. Water and the Holy Spirit is the cause of being baptized into Christ and the putting on of Christ. St. Paul can't be any more clear. The rest of the child's life is the personal reaffirmation of that faith.

Albuquerque, NM

#467853 Aug 1, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I've already explained many times that if Jesus existed he agreed with his father allowing the devil and hell to exist and flourish ... et cetera.
Do you suppose that while this Jesus character was busy preaching about love that he went along with his father commanding people to kill each other???
If you do, you are loony tunes.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
No, I don't.

IMHO - Jesus didn't preach anything to do with killing other humans. And if he did, like the below teaching, it was a metaphor of the how the Spirit is within us.

(60)

(1) <He saw> a Samaritan who was trying to steal a lamb while he was on his way to Judea.
(2) He said to his disciples: "That (person) is stalking the lamb."
(3) They said to him: "So that he may kill it (and) eat it."
(4) He said to them: "As long as it is alive he will not eat it, but (only) when he has killed it (and) it has become a corpse."
(5) They said to him: "Otherwise he cannot do it."
(6) He said to them: "You, too, look for a place for your repose so that you may not become a corpse (and) get eaten."

(65) He said:

(1)"A [usurer] owned a vineyard. He gave it to some farmers so that they would work it (and) he might receive its fruit from them.
(2) He sent his servant so that the farmers might give him the fruit of the vineyard.
(3) They seized his servant, beat him,(and) almost killed him. The servant went (back and) told his master.
(4) His master said:‘Perhaps <they> did not recognize <him>.’
(5) He sent another servant,(and) the farmers beat that other one as well.
(6) Then the master sent his son (and) said:‘Perhaps they will show respect for my son.’
(7)(But) those farmers, since they knew that he was the heir of the vineyard, seized him (and) killed him.
(8) Whoever has ears should hear."

(70) Jesus says:

(1) "If you bring it into being within you,(then) that which you have will save you.
(2) If you do not have it within you,(then) that which you do not have within you [will] kill you."

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#467854 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No "catlick" would be so presumptuous, Ox.
We leave that to you.
The Bible says about being sons...

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the -->sons<-- of God, even to them that believe on his name:

-->SONS<-- DEFINED IN GREEK AS USED IN JOHN 1:12
G5043
&#964;&#949;&#769; &#954;&#957;&#959; &#957;
teknon
tek'-non
From the base of G5098; a child (as produced):- child, daughter, son.

Joh 1:13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

About being perfect...

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore --> perfect<-- even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

-->PERFECT<-- AS USED IN MATTHEW 5:48
G5046
&#964;&#949;&#769; &#955;&#949;&#953; &#959;&#962;
teleios
tel'-i-os
From G5056; complete (in various applications of labor, growth, mental and moral character, etc.); neuter (as noun, with G3588) completeness:- of full age, man, perfect.

CHRISTIAN MATURITY COMES WITH SPIRITUAL GROWTH

AND SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURE WITH THE DESIRE TO OBEY THEM,,

SOME... HERE IN THIS FORUM SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES TO SEE HOW THEY CAN

MUCH THEY CAN DISAGREE WITH THEM..

I APPROACH THE SCRIPTURES WITH CHILD LIKE FAITH....

EXPECTING THE HEAVENLY FATHER TO KEEP HIS WORD/PROMISES..

.AND HE DOES...

2Co 1:20 For all the promises of God in him

are yea, and in him Amen,

unto the glory of God

by us.

Mar_10:15 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.

Luk_18:17 Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter therein.

Albuquerque, NM

#467855 Aug 1, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
When someone is beginning the spiritual life, he should not study a lot, but instead watch himself and guard his thoughts. A strong person is the one who chews well, not the one who eats a lot.
Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain
The ability and power to look within ourselves is available to everyone.

It will be those individuals who take this step, without allowing the dismay of what they find to cause them to stop, who will become the All.

(2) Jesus says:

(1) "The one who seeks should not cease seeking until he finds.
(2) And when he finds, he will be dismayed.
(3) And when he is dismayed, he will be astonished.
(4) And he will be king over the All."
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467856 Aug 1, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So why aren't you following HIS commands as should be your will???
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>
Any person who curseth his mother or father, must be killed.(Leviticus 20:9)
If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die.(Leviticus 20:10).
If a man sleeps with his father's wife... both him and his father's wife is to be put to death.(Leviticus 20:11)
If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death.(Leviticus 20:14)
If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed.(Leviticus 20:15-16).
If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be "cut off from their people" (Leviticus 20:18)
Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death.(Leviticus 20:27)
If a priest's daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake.(Leviticus 21:9)
People who have flat noses, or is blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God (Leviticus 21:17-18)
Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, should be stoned to death by the community.(Leviticus 24:14-16)
<quoted text>
June was stating that "you following HIS commands" - was a reference to "God's commands" not Jesus'
Are you saying you will follow Jesus, but not "God"?
You are confused or delibrately trying to confuse others by twisting your way through the posts of others.
I'm not confused.

I'm not of the belief that the admonitions in the Book of Leviticus serve as a transcription of God's direct commands.

Albuquerque, NM

#467857 Aug 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak to your experience, but St. Paul is saying that we are baptized "into" Christ and "put on" Christ through baptism.
Still false.

An infant doesn't understand the "putting on Christ".

You presume to much, without addressing and accepting the facts surrounding your premise.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467858 Aug 1, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me where He said one thing about being baptized...
Here's one.

Matthew 28:19

19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#467859 Aug 1, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
You copied a guideline on How to become a Christian and presented it as your testimony on your "salvation"...you did not copy and paste all of it....
testimony: A public declaration regarding a religious experience.
You would have been better going to this web site and fabricated a testimony...
Sample Testimony
When it comes to sharing your testimony, focus on a few key points:
What your life was like before Christ
How you came to know Him
Include the gospel. Share that Christ alone, not works, has saved you.
How your life is different today because of Him
Share a passage of scripture from which God has spoken to you.
Here's a good example of how your testimony might go:
I grew up in a Christian family, so I was surrounded by God and the church from the very beginning. I was raised in a Christian home, but just followed through the motions of doing “Christian things” that I thought you were supposed to do. I didn’t know Him, I just knew about Him.
I found myself searching for purpose and meaning in people and also in myself. Whether that was my friends or in relationships, I poured my whole heart into them. I also became very fixated on myself and my image. I became very consumed with what people thought of me and was living for the acceptance of the world.
At my lowest point when I was alone and afraid, God drew me to Himself. From growing up in a Christian home, I knew what to do. I knew that He could save me if I just let Him. I confessed that I am a sinner and that I was trying to find life in other people and myself. I acknowledged that He sent Jesus to die on the cross so that I can be saved from my sin and have eternal life. I committed to living for God instead of others.
Since knowing Him, God showed me that being a “Christian” isn’t about just doing good works. He made it clear that I do not have to earn my salvation or His love (Eph. 2:8-9). He has given me fulfillment and purpose and joy. I am not perfect and I still mess up, but God loves me despite my flaws and imperfections. And when the things I was pursuing before continually let me down, God has never once left me. He has shown Himself to me in His Word, the Bible, in (verse of scripture). God loved me even at my lowest point and He rescued me from myself and eternal separation from Him.
I didn't present it as my testimony at all, I prefaced it with the statement "I've done evertything the SBC says I should do. Here's what the SBC says:"

Better to just admit you misread it than to continue to look like a fool. I'd hoped you learned from the last few times...

Albuquerque, NM

#467860 Aug 1, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Orthodox Teaching re Authority
Orthodox faithful, then, should not seek "refuge" in the simplistic belief that supreme authority lies in the hands of a patriarch, or in ecumenical councils, or in certain local synods, or perhaps in the local bishop.
Such notions are not entirely erroneous, but they are surely limited, threatening to objectify and institutionalize the Church. Synods and Bishops are sources of authority which operate primarily in cases of conflict and necessity, that is in abnormal situations such as the condemnation of heresy or the establishment of disciplinary order and pastoral care.
Authority in the Church is in the final analysis undefinable, never limited to an order or council or to any one individual or group of individuals.
Ecclesial authority is the experience of the mystery of God in Christ through the Spirit who guides the Church.
This reality is incarnate and exercised as a mutual subordination of love deriving from the sharing in common of the saving mysterious life of the Church.
This is the all-transcending and binding authority, the dimension of the Church beyond any kind of structure and institution and organization
Good explanations of the Spirit and how it is - the Self.

Thanks!

It all begins and ends with you.

Albuquerque, NM

#467861 Aug 1, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
I can't speak to your experience, but St. Paul is saying that we are baptized "into" Christ and "put on" Christ through baptism.
Do you understand that 'putting on Christ' is not just a matter of mentally/verbally agreeing with some church or person about their teachings?
I 'put on Christ' when I responded to His invitation to me. I followed Him in baptism when I had opportunity. I didn't shake a preachers hand, nor sign a conversion card. I met Him.
KayMarie
....only in your mind.

Please stop stating that mental thoughts are physical happenings.

Self.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#467862 Aug 1, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
Do you understand that 'putting on Christ' is not just a matter of mentally/verbally agreeing with some church or person about their teachings?
I 'put on Christ' when I responded to His invitation to me. I followed Him in baptism when I had opportunity. I didn't shake a preachers hand, nor sign a conversion card. I met Him.
KayMarie
St. Paul is saying that we are baptized "into" Christ and "put on" Christ through baptism. As adults we respond to Jesus's invitation, but the actual "into Christ" and "putting on" occurs in baptism.

Albuquerque, NM

#467863 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No one mentioned the infant approaching for Baptism on their own but you. Twice now, it's only been you.
Anthony didn't, that's for sure.
Yep, just as I suspected - you didn't let me down.

Let me say this slowly......

Infants and children don't get baptized because of their faith. Infants and children have not learned faith yet, except that they probably have "faith" that their parents will feed them when they are hungry or need help with a personal task.

Infants and children learn what "faith" is through experience and guidance from others, and the continuous repeating of what they are to believe by their parents and those whom the parents have allowed to teach about faith.

They are baptized because of their parent's faith, not of their own.

You do understand this point, yes?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#467864 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Still false.
You presume to much, without addressing and accepting the facts surrounding your premise.
He doesn't have to personally understand it. None of us, even as adults fully understand it, except maybe you newagers....lol.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#467865 Aug 1, 2013
<quoted text>
Still false.
He's paraphrasing St. Paul.

What is he presuming?

Albuquerque, NM

#467866 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
June attributed the teachings in Leviticus to Jesus.
They aren't attributable to Jesus.
It's ancient Mosaic law.
Please post where June stated this.

If you are correct, I will apologize accordingly.

If you are incorrect, I will expect the same from you.
marge

Ames, IA

#467867 Aug 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Paul is saying that we are baptized "into" Christ and "put on" Christ through baptism. As adults we respond to Jesus's invitation, but the actual "into Christ" and "putting on" occurs in baptism.
no, it occurs during Holy Spirit Baptism done by Jesus when one believes.

Albuquerque, NM

#467868 Aug 1, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No false at all. Faith is what brings the child to baptism. Water and the Holy Spirit is the cause of being baptized into Christ and the putting on of Christ. St. Paul can't be any more clear. The rest of the child's life is the personal reaffirmation of that faith.
Tell me Anthony, when did the child acquire this "Faith" that brought them to baptism?

Please be specific and include all of the possibilities that "brings a child to baptism because of faith".

And please don't twist the word "child" to mean anything other than an infant or a young child. Because when one defines the word "child" in other ways, it implies as an adult", but we already know the majority of Catholic baptisms happen during the infancy stage of life.

In regards to a "child" in the Protestant world, a "child of God" can be any age, but usually an age that in the least, allows the individual - no matter what age - to "accept Jesus as my Saviour".

So - whatcha got that "brings a child to baptism"?
marge

Ames, IA

#467869 Aug 1, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
?
"'putting on Christ' is not just a matter of mentally/verbally agreeing with some church or person about their teachings?"
.....unless it's you doing so, mentally agreeing to Christ's invitation.(??)
That's what you've said above.
Anthony said the Baptism is "putting on Christ". That isn't a matter of mental/verbal agreement. It's an act of faith.
Water baptism is a picture of 'putting on Christ'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Mr Sir 9,036
News Obamas to host Pope Francis at White House Sept... 13 hr barefoot2626 35
News Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Sat YaWay 173
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Mar 25 swedenforever 32
News Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark Mar 22 ELIAS IBARRA 4
News Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... Mar 17 barefoot2626 2,030
News Francis expects short papacy Mar 16 ELIAS IBARRA 2
More from around the web