Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 667516 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467395 Jul 30, 2013
Timothy Dillmuth (pastor of SBC-affiliated Valley Christian Church in New Hampshire): Pastor Dillmuth and 2 deacons of the church, Richard Eland and Robert Gagnon, were found guilty of failing to report child sex abuse. It was "deliberately attempted" to keep it within the church, wrote the judge. The prosecutor described it as "a conspiracy" that was "not only unlawful, but shameful."
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467396 Jul 30, 2013
Randy S. Duckett (senior pastor, Second Baptist Church of Odessa, TX): Allowed youth minister indicted on child sex charges to remain in ministry within the church and didn’t even place him on administrative leave.“We have been aware of the situation from the beginning,” said pastor Duckett.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467397 Jul 30, 2013
Wendell Estep (former president of the South Carolina Baptist Convention and senior pastor of FBC-Columbia): Allowed a man into a position of trust as a deacon and youth leader despite his prior child molestation conviction. Then, despite written and verbal complaints from parents about the deacon’s “unnatural interest” and “inappropriate touching” of kids, pastor Estep and other church officials did not remove the man from his position of trust until after he was finally arrested -- reportedly at least 4 years after the first complaints to church officials. Then Estep had the audacity to boast that he was proud of how his church had handled the situation.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467398 Jul 30, 2013
Kevin Ezell (president of the Southern Baptist Convention's North American Mission Board): "Refuse to testify and fail to warn your church's members about a sexual predator in their midst." According to BaptistPlanet, that was Ezell's reaction when he learned that a church volunteer, who had also taught at a school operated by his church, was accused of sex crimes. As reported in the Louisville Courier-Journal:“Ezell said he did not expect the church would announce Maggard’s arrest to the congregation." Read more on "Ezell's failed leadership on sexual abuse."
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467399 Jul 30, 2013
Marion “Bud” Fray (a former area director for the Southern Baptist Convention’s Foreign Mission Board): After a missionary kid told her dormitory housemother about her father’s abuse, a report was made to Fray, who confronted the missionary/preacher/father. The man admitted “to a little fondling” but said “it happened a long time ago.” So Fray did nothing and the man went on to abuse more kids.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467400 Jul 30, 2013
Brian Fuller (pastor of Trinity Baptist Church in Concord, NH): As police were seeking to investigate allegations that a church deacon sexually assaulted a 15-year-old and that the girl was made to apologize before the church when she became pregnant, pastor Fuller reportedly sent an email to congregants "advising parishioners to remain silent." The Associated Press obtained a copy of Fuller's email in which he said "I love you tenderly and am confident you will only talk of these matters to our Lord in prayer." (rev. 7/10)
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467401 Jul 30, 2013
Steve Gaines (senior pastor of the flagship Bellevue Baptist Church in Memphis, TN): He knowingly kept quiet about an admitted child molester on his ministerial staff. He even allowed the child-molesting-minister to serve as a counselor for congregants who said they had been molested in childhood. So, a known child-molesting-minister was able to sit in a church office and feed off asking molested individuals for details about exactly what happened.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467402 Jul 30, 2013
Mitch Gavin (former chair of the SBC Executive Committee’s sub-committee that was purportedly designated for addressing clergy sex abuse): A Southern Baptist clergy abuse survivor wrote to Gavin about the sexual abuse inflicted on him as an adolescent boy, named the Louisiana minister he was accusing, told of another known victim, and said he had previously contacted the SBC only to be rebuffed. This time was no better. Gavin directed him to Ephesians 4:31-32:“Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.”(email correspondence of July 18, 2007)
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467403 Jul 30, 2013
Jack Graham (senior pastor of Dallas megachurch, Prestonwood Baptist, and former 2-term Southern Baptist Convention president): Despite allegations involving the sexual abuse of boys, Prestonwood's former music minister John Langworthy was able to move on to a church in Mississippi. "There are questions about whether Prestonwood church leaders tried to keep the incident under wraps" and "questions of cover-up." And what exactly did Graham mean when, in 2008, he claimed that, in 40 years of ministry, he "never had one moral problem with a staff member"? Does he not think that a minister's sexual abuse of a kid is a "moral problem." Or was it of so little consequence that Graham just forgot about it? More on this story on the New BBC Open Forum.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#467404 Jul 30, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Blah-blah-blah.
You aren't listening to me at all, huh? ALL you seem to do is parrot what you think is factual.
Listen - I will say it once for you.....I've accepted ALL OF JESUS within me.
It is you and all of Christianity that hasn't.
So please recant your post to me, and start again. The next time, don't think you know what my wife's life or my life is, contains, or will contain.
You'll have to first believe in all of what Jesus taught, if you want to not pretend you do, or make judgmental calls upon others.
Wanna try again, and this next time, not admonish others for what you lack?
BTW - if Jesus "died for our sins" - then these 13 men aren't liable for their actions, because Jesus died for their sins too.
Oh wait - it was a one time shot, huh? His death. Which since it occurred in the 1st Century - all sins after this time, began again?
Not according to you.
You really don't know much about the religion you practice. You only parrot and applaud what other men have stated and presented to you for your belief.
I wonder if your child was rapped by 13 men, I'm wondering what kind of life tehy would live?
First you are the one judging Me out of the gene pool

I was respectful to you

If you do accept Jesus as you say ..You knoW HE DIED FOR ALL SIN

TOOK ALL SIN TO THE CROSS.

NO I do not know You or your wife ..But you brought her and her pain up .
I was trying kindly I thought ..to say I know..what she is feeling ..I know a lot more than That.

And the ONLY One who can lessen the burden is Jesus and asking His. Help in carrying our pain.

I recant nothing of my faith in my Saviour and yours .

Peace
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467405 Jul 30, 2013
Rick Grant (pastor of First Baptist Church of Benton, Arkansas): Even after a child-molesting music minister “didn’t deny” allegations of child sex abuse, and even after he provided Grant with a list of 12 boys with whom he had “inappropriate contact,” Grant sat back. He accepted the perpetrator’s explanation that “the dalliances with boys” were confined to “an isolated period in the past.” Not until he learned of a 13th victim did Grant finally decide that he had “no recourse” but to fire the minister, and he minimized it to the congregation as being due to “moral failures.” When a case arose that was still within the statute of limitations, it became known that 3 adult men had told Grant about the minister’s abuse of them as teens. Finally, it came to light that the minister had been able “to sexually victimize scores of boys at the First Baptist Church of Benton over the past 20 years or more.”
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467406 Jul 30, 2013
Will Hall (SBC public spokesperson and an SBC vice-president): Wrongly said that, for Baptists, there had been a “low number” of clergy sex abuse cases and suggested there had been only “40 incidents in 15 years.” EthicsDaily called on him to issue a correction, but of course, that never happened.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467407 Jul 30, 2013
Bryan Herrington (senior pastor of First Baptist Church of Port St. Lucie, FL): After the church’s youth minister pled “no contest” to child abuse (and after he was originally charged with sexual battery), and even though the charges involved a girl he was counseling at the church, pastor Herrington testified on the minister’s behalf and said he was “an exemplary church employee.”
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467408 Jul 30, 2013
Anthony Jordan (executive director of the Baptist General Convention of Oklahoma): Kept a letter in a file cabinet in which a Southern Baptist pastor admitted to sexual abuse of a young boy.(He also kept a second letter in which the pastor purported to retract his admission.) Meanwhile, the man continued to pastor an independent church, and then he even got a part-time job driving a school bus. At that point, the earlier victim pleaded with Jordan to do something, telling him “You have the evidence – use it!” Finally, after over a year of effort, the victim was able to obtain a copy of the letters, which the victim himself then delivered to the school superintendent.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467409 Jul 30, 2013
Del Kirkpatrick (deacon of First Baptist Church of Romeoville, Illinois): Was one of the deacons who hired a convicted child molester as pastor. Kirkpatrick justified the decision by saying,“In our church, we believe in forgiveness.”
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467410 Jul 30, 2013
Greg Kirksey (former president of the Arkansas Baptist State Convention and a current pastor of the Church at Rock Creek in Little Rock): Wrote a letter to the judge, asking for leniency and urging no prison time, for a minister who was convicted on child sex crimes and whom authorities said had been abusing boys in the church for at least two decades.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#467411 Jul 30, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
Jack Graham (senior pastor of Dallas megachurch, Prestonwood Baptist, and former 2-term Southern Baptist Convention president): Despite allegations involving the sexual abuse of boys, Prestonwood's former music minister John Langworthy was able to move on to a church in Mississippi. "There are questions about whether Prestonwood church leaders tried to keep the incident under wraps" and "questions of cover-up." And what exactly did Graham mean when, in 2008, he claimed that, in 40 years of ministry, he "never had one moral problem with a staff member"? Does he not think that a minister's sexual abuse of a kid is a "moral problem." Or was it of so little consequence that Graham just forgot about it? More on this story on the New BBC Open Forum.
Oh please and how many teachers,..coaches and other perverts belong in jail. including the Catholic priests ..who instead of just putting them away in a monastery to repent..we're sent to other parishes to teach children..

They all belong in jail ..
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467412 Jul 30, 2013
Richard Land (president of the SBC's Ethics & Religious Liberty Commission): Wagged his finger at Catholics and bragged that Southern Baptists had only a couple of high-profile child-sex-abuse scandals...in the late '80s, and that they had focused on the problem after that." Of course, there had already been way more than "a couple" cases when Land said this, and by now, there have been many, many more. Yet, Land seems utterly blind to the extent of clergy sex abuse within Southern Baptist ranks. And what has he actually done to implement effective action for routing out Baptist clergy predators?
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467413 Jul 30, 2013
"There are just too many guys who have covered up too much, even if they aren't perpetrators themselves, and they are running around scared of being exposed." -- Dee Miller
Dwayne Mercer (former president of Florida Baptist Convention and senior pastor of FBC-Oviedo): Told the press there had been “no complaints” about minister Tommy Gilmore when he was at First Baptist of Oviedo, but this was directly contradicted by a church secretary who told the press about her own complaint concerning Gilmore. Reportedly, Mercer also kept quiet about an abuse complaint involving another minister at FBC-Oviedo and essentially put the woman who reported it on trial and told her not to repeat the accusation.
Dust Storm

Minneapolis, MN

#467414 Jul 30, 2013
“Messengers” to the 2008 Southern Baptist Convention: Applauded when Executive Committee president Morris Chapman announced that the Southern Baptist Convention would NOT create a denominational database “to help churches identify predators or establish an office to field abuse claims.” Why didn’t these denominational delegates hold their leaders’ feet to the fire and insist on action? Despite the fact that there was never even a budget for the study that the 2007 messengers voted for, the 2008 messengers passively accepted their leaders’ do-nothingness and never even asked “Where’s the study?”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 8 hr Rose_NoHo 193
News Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Sat Serah 14,364
News 7 reasons why Friday the 13th is considered an ... Jan 14 True Christian wi... 3
News Women should breastfeed in church, Pope Francis... Jan 11 Jeremy 3
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory (Jul '15) Dec 30 Dogen 508
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 20 Married in 10,385
News Preview: The Pope's Choir Dec 20 KenJr26 1
More from around the web