Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
450,421 - 450,440 of 538,382 Comments Last updated 5 min ago

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466738
Jul 28, 2013
 
StarC wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true.... I've been Catholic all my life and was never denied the Bible.
Its not that one can't understand the Bible... Its the interpretation.
This is why there is so many protestant churches, each with its own
interpretations. This board is a perfect example none of you agree.
IMO, those you speak of were not true Catholics, in name only... never went to church never understood the Holy Mass where we have more Scripture readings then any protestant church.
"If the Catholic Church discourages Bible reading, the Pope, the
thousands of Catholic Bishops, and the many millions of Catholic
lay people, are not aware of it. For the Popes have issued
pastoral letters to the whole Church, called encyclicals, on the
edifying effects of Bible reading. The Catholic Bible far
outsells all other Christian Bibles worldwide. In fact, it has
always been thus. The very first Christian Bible was produced by
the Catholic Church compiled by Catholic scholars of the 2nd
and 3rd century and approved for general Christian use by the
Catholic Councils of Hippo (393) and Carthage (397)."
I tend to agree with you on this. From where I sit the RCC doesn't really like people reading the Bible and coming to their own conclusions.

Many Protestant churches have the same flaw.

For mew it's the height of human vanity for any group to claim they know what God wants and what the Bible really means.

That is why I now shun most churches. I like attending them. But my spiritual life is between me and God. No one else.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466739
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
You want to brag about celebrating a lie? Have at it.
Also, Billy Graham preached to over one million in one location in one country. South Korea. Even your pope hasn't preached to over one million in one location. Good luck screwball.
World Youth Day 1995..5 million heard Pope John Paul II preach at Luneta Park, Manila, Philippines. The largest crowd ever gathered for an event according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

This morning, 3 million heard Pope Francis preach the Gospel on the beach in Brazil.

That beats Mr. Graham, in case you're counting.

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466740
Jul 28, 2013
 
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I was taught from the Baltimore Catechism and it was the same, nothing has changed. God is our Creator. No doctrine has been changed, not a one.
Perhaps you can show me where The Church teaches that God is NOT our Creator. Can you do that for me? If not, what you're saying is untrue, Rose, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
Your Baltimore Catechism said THat while souks,were from God are bodies,can come from evolution ...

Wow,

Mine said Adam was,created by God. Directly nit thru any ape,ancestors

This,site from a religious teacher friend ..She says it has the imprimatur..

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-e...

Sounds like they leave a lot if room for science
which which is ever-changing

NO SCIENCE IN MY CATECHISM ...OR MY BIBLE.

Maybe you had a different Baltimore,Catechism ..or they rewrote it now .

IfIf straight A s in religion Regina

No evolution ...nothing but God
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466741
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>the catholic would say, give me a piece of that moldy grain with a couple of shots of wine, which will turn their priest into a filthy drunk, and hopefully he will not colic
Did I ever mention that I thank God I didn't have to learn about Jesus Christ from you or Oldjg?
I don't know who you guys think you represent.
I can not see a trace of Our Lord Jesus Christ in anything you've ever uttered.

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466742
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I was taught from the Baltimore Catechism and it was the same, nothing has changed. God is our Creator. No doctrine has been changed, not a one.
Perhaps you can show me where The Church teaches that God is NOT our Creator. Can you do that for me? If not, what you're saying is untrue, Rose, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to mislead anyone.
Oh they say God created the soul ..they say He created the world..But there is room for evolution as,regards where our bodies come from .

Not in my bible not my old Catechism

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466745
Jul 28, 2013
 
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>...But my spiritual life is between me and God. No one else.
That would get you executed by the church until a few decades ago.

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466747
Jul 28, 2013
 
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you NEED to get your FACTS straight, this is NOT PREACHING the GOSPEL.
Pope shames Brazilian church for Catholic exodus, NOT IS EATING A PIECE OF GRAIN AND DRINKING SOME WINE.
Preaching is TELLING people about Jesus Christ and His Death and His Resurection.
THAT AND THAT ALONE IS WHAT WE CALL PREACHING.
try learning what the Christian Walk is all about, as it stands, you know nothing and please don't insult the intelligence of others on here by claiming to have studied for many years.
It shows that YOU HAVENT LEARNED ANYTHING. BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION THAT YOU HAVE ATENDED A COU[SIN] CHURCH TO THIS MESS THAT YOU ARE NOW PART OF.
Ok from a protestant perspective ..as the Catholics think I don't read well.

Under the heading THE CATHOLIC POSITION. POSITIONs is it saying

About human evolution

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-e...

Thanks
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466748
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

just choose life wrote:
<quoted text>I did the Liturgy of the hours during Lent, but I can't afford the books. Is it on the internet?
just choose life:

ReginaM just found a site:

http://dariasockey.blogspot.com/2013/07/offic...

And I have been using this site in the past:

http://divineoffice.org/

They are both free. Some of the other ones are not....
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466749
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Your Baltimore Catechism said THat while souks,were from God are bodies,can come from evolution ...
Wow,
Mine said Adam was,created by God. Directly nit thru any ape,ancestors
This,site from a religious teacher friend ..She says it has the imprimatur..
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-e...
Sounds like they leave a lot if room for science
which which is ever-changing
NO SCIENCE IN MY CATECHISM ...OR MY BIBLE.
Maybe you had a different Baltimore,Catechism ..or they rewrote it now .
IfIf straight A s in religion Regina
No evolution ...nothing but God
There is only one Baltimore Catechism, Rose, and it says that God is our Creator. There have been several editions of the Catechism over the many years of The Church's 2,000 year old history starting with the Didache ca. 70 A.D.

The Catechism today, as the Catechism from 55 years ago, states that God is our Creator. There have been no changes in our teachings. Doctrine cannot be changed. You should have learned that first and foremost. This is what we believe today and have always believed:

I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.

I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.

(I've never heard of an internet web site having an Imprimatur, lol. Are you sure you heard right?) Evolution when properly understood within the context of Christian teaching is not at odds with Scripture. All creation comes from God. I've not read anything to the contrary so far.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466750
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you NEED to get your FACTS straight, this is NOT PREACHING the GOSPEL.
Pope shames Brazilian church for Catholic exodus, NOT IS EATING A PIECE OF GRAIN AND DRINKING SOME WINE.
Preaching is TELLING people about Jesus Christ and His Death and His Resurection.
THAT AND THAT ALONE IS WHAT WE CALL PREACHING.
try learning what the Christian Walk is all about, as it stands, you know nothing and please don't insult the intelligence of others on here by claiming to have studied for many years.
It shows that YOU HAVENT LEARNED ANYTHING. BY YOUR OWN ADMISSION THAT YOU HAVE ATENDED A COU[SIN] CHURCH TO THIS MESS THAT YOU ARE NOW PART OF.
Atemcowboy....you have lost your credibility...if you ever had it!!!!

Mah words: Share with us your Salvation testimony....

You wrote: it would be different that anything that you have experienced since you aren't Saved.but lets just face facts.
I don't bounce to your ball, I do what I want when I want

Ah said: No Christian I have ever met has refused to share the most important event of his life...his salvation.....which means claiming to be saved and being saved are horses of a totally different color...You are a fraud....

atemcowboy wrote: if you want to read it, and you don't, go back and look for it. I have posted it numerous times.

Ah said: If that were so, you would be glad to furnish the post numbers and the pages...you can't...because it never happened...

FYI..You cannot share something you do not possess..You follow the footsteps of your father..

You bring the Word of God to life!!!!
Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it...
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466751
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I like the Optionals too. We're very fortunate, very blessed to have such richness and depth as the basis of Catholic theology and spirituality. Those who assume that our doctrines and teachings are based solely or predominately on the thoughts of one Father/Saint/Doctor are seriously mistaken. Our theology is not one-dimensional, although I suppose it suits their agenda to erroneously spread that it is.
As these ancient sermons, homilies, and meditations prove one could take any one of these truths and meditate on it for a lifetime never fully exhausting it or penetrating it's many layers. I'm tempted to get the book but space is becoming a consideration as I have so many books already. I'll probably cave sometime this week and order it.:)
I'm very happy to hear that you're feeling better, Robert, and hope you continue to do so. I know you were seriously struggling for a while, quietly and humbly. Take care.
ReginaM:

One can only scratch the surface concerning the broad writings of the saints....And that may be the most difficult aspect, in narrowing down the choices of reading material.

I have gotten into the habit of trying to read from different ages, times, to give a more dynamic view of things.

I think the age we live in offers such a narrow view of things, that it carries over into beliefs, such as you mention, the view of the RCC as being "one-dimensional". Little do people know....
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466752
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I ever mention that I thank God I didn't have to learn about Jesus Christ from you or Oldjg?
I don't know who you guys think you represent.
I can not see a trace of Our Lord Jesus Christ in anything you've ever uttered.
Right? And what a horrible thing to say about one the most deeply held beliefs of his dear friends! I hate to say it but he's the one who sounds like he's drunk. Can you imagine such talk? They've got bigger worries than evolution.

Much bigger.

IMO.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466753
Jul 28, 2013
 
ReginaM wrote:
Lol..., ditto that....

“Greater Love Than This”

Since: Aug 08

Has No Man

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466755
Jul 28, 2013
 
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
There is only one Baltimore Catechism, Rose, and it says that God is our Creator. There have been several editions of the Catechism over the many years of The Church's 2,000 year old history starting with the Didache ca. 70 A.D.
The Catechism today, as the Catechism from 55 years ago, states that God is our Creator. There have been no changes in our teachings. Doctrine cannot be changed. You should have learned that first and foremost. This is what we believe today and have always believed:
I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.
I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
and the life of the world to come. Amen.
(I've never heard of an internet web site having an Imprimatur, lol. Are you sure you heard right?) Evolution when properly understood within the context of Christian teaching is not at odds with Scripture. All creation comes from God. I've not read anything to the contrary so far.
Th s t site leaves room THST mans body developed from other biological forms ..it has a CC stamp.of approval

I did not learn that in school and neither did you .

Gen 1. GOD CREATED MAN I N HIS IMAGE.

We did not descend from.Ape ancestors ...
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466756
Jul 28, 2013
 
just choose life wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks!
You're very welcome. Enjoy!

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466757
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I ever mention that I thank God I didn't have to learn about Jesus Christ from you or Oldjg?
I don't know who you guys think you represent.
I can not see a trace of Our Lord Jesus Christ in anything you've ever uttered.
that is because when the Truth was spoke to you, you didn't accept it so you get what you give.

REMEMBER YOUR SMART ALEC REMARKS ABOUT AN ALTAR CALL? BACK AT U.LOL
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466758
Jul 28, 2013
 
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Th s t site leaves room THST mans body developed from other biological forms ..it has a CC stamp.of approval
I did not learn that in school and neither did you .
Gen 1. GOD CREATED MAN I N HIS IMAGE.
We did not descend from.Ape ancestors ...
What "stamp of approval"?? lol

We are still taught that God created man in His image and likeness:

THE DIGNITY OF THE HUMAN PERSON

ARTICLE 1
MAN: THE IMAGE OF GOD

1701 "Christ,... in the very revelation of the mystery of the Father and of his love, makes man fully manifest to himself and brings to light his exalted vocation."2 It is in Christ, "the image of the invisible God,"3 that man has been created "in the image and likeness" of the Creator. It is in Christ, Redeemer and Savior, that the divine image, disfigured in man by the first sin, has been restored to its original beauty and ennobled by the grace of God.4

1702 The divine image is present in every man. It shines forth in the communion of persons, in the likeness of the unity of the divine persons among themselves
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...

Do you know what is meant by the "image and likeness of God"? Do you think we look like God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466759
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Right? And what a horrible thing to say about one the most deeply held beliefs of his dear friends! I hate to say it but he's the one who sounds like he's drunk. Can you imagine such talk? They've got bigger worries than evolution.
Much bigger.
IMO.
you probably laughed when he rambled on about going to an altar call, didn't you?

and FYI, an altar call is when a person comes to the Saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

A VERY SACRED TIME, WHILE THINKING THAT SOME PEDOPHILE PRIEST CAN CHANGE A PIECE OF GRAIN INTO JESUS CHRIST IS CERTAINLY NOT A SACRED TIME OR EVENT.

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466760
Jul 28, 2013
 
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
Compound sentences again June....
With God all things are possible.
Especially that promise of heaven for you if you are Catholic and hell for others who are not Catholic.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#466761
Jul 28, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Right? And what a horrible thing to say about one the most deeply held beliefs of his dear friends! I hate to say it but he's the one who sounds like he's drunk. Can you imagine such talk? They've got bigger worries than evolution.
Much bigger.
IMO.
hey reg, someone disagreed with you, go ahead and change those icons.lol

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••