Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658421 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“Unadulterated Grace - Rom 11:6”

Since: Jul 13

Chicagoland

#466603 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Because, in order for the Word of God to be kept safe through the last 2,000 yrs, you need an Earthly authority to safeguard it. There is no other way.
Yes, the Orthodox have succession too. That's why the Orthodox share 95% of our faith. The Word of God is still protected. Sure, they don't believe in the Immaculate Conception, but they STILL believe Mary was sinless. Regardless of HOW she was sinless doesn't change the fact the she was sinless. That's the Word of God from the Apostles- protected by the Holy Spirit for 2,000 yrs.
You would have to ask the Orthodox why they eliminated the universal authority of the Bishop of Rome- opting instead to recognize the authority of their own Bishop(s). The common ground is that there is a Bishop. There NEEDS to be a Bishop via Apostolic succession to ensure the Word of God is protected.
HOW is the Word of God being protected, when BOTH of you claim sucession, yet have DIFFERENT doctrinal points? Are you saying your differences are of minor importance? Still waiting for the "source".
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#466604 Jul 28, 2013
The Mystery of Psalm 46

April 23, 2007 By The good Catholic Fr. Dwight Longenecker

St George’s Day is also the anniversary of the death of William Shakespeare.

Do you know the mystery of Psalm 46? It goes like this: William Shakespeare was 46 years old the year the King James Version of the Bible was published.

Get out your KJV (you good Catholics who don’t own one will have to borrow one from your Prot neighbors) Find Psalm 46.

Count 46 words from the beginning. The word is ‘shake’.

Count 46 words from the end (not counting the word ‘selah’ which is a sort of Hebrew rubric).

Hey presto! The word is ‘spear.’

So go figure….

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#466605 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Because, in order for the Word of God to be kept safe through the last 2,000 yrs, you need an Earthly authority to safeguard it. There is no other way.
Yes, the Orthodox have succession too. That's why the Orthodox share 95% of our faith. The Word of God is still protected. Sure, they don't believe in the Immaculate Conception, but they STILL believe Mary was sinless. Regardless of HOW she was sinless doesn't change the fact the she was sinless. That's the Word of God from the Apostles- protected by the Holy Spirit for 2,000 yrs.
You would have to ask the Orthodox why they eliminated the universal authority of the Bishop of Rome- opting instead to recognize the authority of their own Bishop(s). The common ground is that there is a Bishop. There NEEDS to be a Bishop via Apostolic succession to ensure the Word of God is protected.
This forum is not about the Orthodox church Clay.It is about your catholic church bragging that CHURCH. Now the Orthodox church does not share 95% of faith as your church.So that's a lie.You have been told a million times the Orthodox view on your Pope.Try to remember....THIS FORUM IS NOT ABOUT THE ORTHODOX CHURCH.IT IS ABOUT YOUR CHURCH CLAIMING TO BE THE TRUE CHURCH.(stop chiming in...lol )

Chicagoland

#466606 Jul 28, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay your earthly authority. Changes,it's,teaching ..within decades,to go along with EARTHLY SCIENCE which seems to change weekly .
What was TRUTH is STILL TRUTH ..WE have a SOURCE ..THE BIBLE .
IF s scripture can be changeable its not inerrant.
And some Protestants also go along with the CHanges
Sorry I believe the BIBle ..
Surprised. Surprised The CHURCH seems,not to..
http://biblehub.com/hebrews/13-8.htm

Location hidden

#466607 Jul 28, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Well the catholic church keeps winding him up and setting him loose on here, they should change the voice box every once and awhile though. they have wore out the record. It repeats it self over and over and over.
Well Ltm...its the catholic way of brain washing people...

Chicagoland

#466608 Jul 28, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay your earthly authority. Changes,it's,teaching ..within decades,to go along with EARTHLY SCIENCE which seems to change weekly .
What was TRUTH is STILL TRUTH ..WE have a SOURCE ..THE BIBLE .
IF s scripture can be changeable its not inerrant.
And some Protestants also go along with the CHanges
Sorry I believe the BIBle ..
Surprised. Surprised The CHURCH seems,not to..
http://biblehub.com/romans/1-25.htm

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#466609 Jul 28, 2013
Orthodox Church and Catholic Church Differences

1. Jesus Christ, as Son of God is divine by nature, as born of the Virgin Mary, True Man by nature, alone is the head of the Church. No hierarch, no bishop, no matter how exalted, is the earthly head of the Church, since Jesus Christ’s headship is enough.

2. All bishops are equal in their power and jurisdiction. Precedence between bishops is a matter of canonical and therefore of human, not divine law.“Primacies” of honor or even jurisdiction of one bishop over many is a matter of ecclesiastical law, and dependent bishops need to give their consent to such subordination in synod assembled.

3. The Church is a communion of churches conciliar in nature; it is not a “perfect society” arranged as a pyramid with a single monarchical hierarch on top.

As such, the Orthodox Church gives priority to the first Seven Ecumenical Councils as having precedent in defining the nature of Christian belief, the nature and structure of the Church, and the relationship between the Church and secular government, as well as the continuation of synodal government throughout their churches to this day.

4. Orthodox Christians do not define “authority” in quite the same way the Catholic Church would define it in terms of powers, jurisdictions, prerogatives and their interrelationships .

Orthodox Christian would say that “authority” is inimical to Love and in this sense, only agape is the one firm criterion to delimit rights and responsibilities within the Church.

Under this scheme, not even God himself is to be considered an “authority”(obedience through relationship and love) even though, if there was a need of one, it would be that of God in Christ.

Location hidden

#466610 Jul 28, 2013

5. The Orthodox Church holds an anthropology different from that of the Catholic Church.

This is because the Orthodox Church does not hold a forensic view of Original Sin, that is, they hold that the sin of Adam did not transmit an intrinsic,“guilt” to his descendants.“Ancestral

Sin,” as they would call it, transmitted what may be termed as a “genetic predisposition” to sin, but not a juridical declaration from God that such-a-one is “born in sin.”

Hyper-Augustiniani sm, Catholic, Lutheran, and Reformed, is impossible in Orthodox anthropology because according to the Orthodox, man is still essentially good, despite his propensity to sin. By the way, even what Catholics would consider a “healthy Augustinianism” would be looked at with suspicion by most Orthodox authorities.

Many trace “the fall” of the Latin Church to the adoption of St. Augustine as the West’s foremost theological authority for 1,000 years prior to St. Thomas Aquinas.

The best evaluations of St. Augustine in the Orthodox Church see him as holy, well-meaning, but “heterodox” in many important details, starting with his anthropology.

6. Since no “forensic guilt” is transmitted genetically through “Original Sin,” the dogma of the Immaculate Conception of our Blessed Mother is considered superfluous.

She had no need for such an exception because there was nothing to exempt her from in the first place. Of course, Mary isTheotokos (“God-bearer”), Panagia (“All-Holy”) and proclaimed in every Liturgy as “more honorable than the Cherubim, and beyond compare more glorious than the Seraphim,” but her sanctification is spoken about more in terms of a special, unique, total, and gratuitous bestowing and subsequent indwelling of the Spirit in her, without the need of “applying the merits of the atonement” of Christ to her at the moment of conception, in order to remove a non-existent forensic guilt from her soul, as the Catholic dogma of the Immaculate Conception would have it.

If pressed, Orthodox authorities would point at the Annunciation as the “moment” in which this utter experience of redemption and sanctification took place in the life of the Blessed Theotokos.

Although the Orthodox believe in her Assumption, they deny that any individual hierarch has any power to singly and unilaterally define it as a dogma binding on the whole Church, and that only Councils would have such power if and when they were to proclaim it and its proclamations received as such by the entire Church.

Location hidden

#466611 Jul 28, 2013

7. Although Orthodox Christians have at their disposal various institutions of learning such as schools, universities, and seminaries, and do hold “Sunday Schools,” at least in the USA, it is fair to say that the main catechetical vehicle for all Orthodox peoples is the Divine Liturgy.

All the liturgical prayers are self-contained: they enshrine the history, the story, the meaning, and the practical application of what is celebrated every Sunday, major feast, and commemoration of angels, saints, and prophets.

If one pays attention – and “Be attentive” is a common invitation made throughout the Divine Liturgy – the worshipper catches all that he or she needs to know and live the Orthodox faith without need for further specialized education.

For Orthodox church architecture exists to serve the Liturgy: you will not find in the East “modernistic” temples resembling auditoriums. Same thing applies to music which is either plain chant, or is organically derived from the tones found in plain chant.

This allows for “national expressions” of church music that nevertheless do not stray too far away from the set conventions.

Organ music exists but is rare; forget guitars or any other instrument for that matter. Choral arrangements are common in Russia – except in the Old Calendarist churches – the Orthodox counterparts to Catholic “traditionalists.”

8. The purpose of man in this life and the next is similar between the Orthodox and the Catholics but I believe the Orthodox “sing it in a higher key.”

While Catholics would say that the “end of man is to serve God in this life to be reasonably happy in this life and completely happy in the next,” a rather succinct explanation of what being “holy” entails, the Orthodox Church would say that the purpose of man is “deification.”

They will say that God became man so that man may become “god”( relationship/union with God)in the order of grace, not of nature of course.

Men – in the Greek the word for “man” still includes “womankind”– are called to partake fully of the divine nature.

There is no “taxonomy” of grace in the Orthodox Church, no “quantification” between “Sanctifying Grace” and actual grace, enabling grace, etc. Every grace is “Sanctifying Grace,” who – in this Catholic and Orthodox agree – is a Person, rather than a created power or effect geared to our sanctification.

Grace is a continuum, rather than a set of discreet episodes interspersed through a Christian’s life; for an Orthodox Christian, every Grace is Uncreated.

The consequences of such a view are rich, unfathomable, and rarely studied by Catholic Christians.

THERE ARE MORE

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#466612 Jul 28, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
And do not be carried away by strange teachings

http://bibleencyclopedia.com/goodsalt/Hebrews...

But het some BIBKE stories don't have to be believed..right???

Location hidden

#466613 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. wow and wow. You really are a liar.
Were you attempting to pass this non-story off as news? " Vatican Child prostitution ring"? Reported by some guy on the internet who does a poor Wolf Blitzer impersonation??
You're a nerd. You're stooping really low with this one. I'm thinkin these fanaticals have rubbed off on ya. Perhaps you've seen how effective their propaganda can be and you wanted to try a little yourself. Anything to smear the Catholic Church by spreading rumors.
ok
my friend...as Al Paccino would say in Carlito's Way " Here comes the Pain"

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#466614 Jul 28, 2013
Free Grace 7 wrote:
Even better ..Thanks .

CHURCH= created thing

Bible= inerrant inspired Word of God

MAN = Created BODY AND SOUL by God..not through any evolution ..as it says in the BIBLE

Location hidden

#466615 Jul 28, 2013

Location hidden

#466616 Jul 28, 2013

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#466617 Jul 28, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church doesn't say Evolution created us. I told you that. I don't know why you keep saying it.
Something is very wrong if 'Bible only' causes you to believe the Earth is 6,000 yrs old. Any 5th grade science student will refute that. So I think I would change my approach to the Word of God if I was you. You're not really embracing the Bible if you're forcing yourself to be ignorant..

.it says,on that site ..the body may have evolved but bot the soul.

In direct differences to the bible account of Adams,creation .

You all say. YOU put the bible together..that its,yours..Now you change your teaching on it .

Got that site from a,BIBLE AND RELIGION TEACHER.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-e...

Location hidden

#466618 Jul 28, 2013
From the mouth of your own Pope Clay...is CNN reputable enough for you!

Location hidden

#466619 Jul 28, 2013
I will be much more picky on my sources from now on Clay....sorry...I will only post from REPUTABLE sources...maybe that will turn a light on for you even f it a night light.lol

Location hidden

#466620 Jul 28, 2013
No surprise here.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#466621 Jul 28, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>ok
my friend...as Al Paccino would say in Carlito's Way " Here comes the Pain"
There will be no pain inflicted on me. This matter is between you and God. You attempted to pass off slander and deception as fact in order to smear the Catholic Church.
Please don't think you're able to personally hurt me with that. It only hurt yourself.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#466622 Jul 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe that Protestants will be saved by this miracle worker of a Jew named Jesus ... why did you become a Catholic?
And by the way Robert, do you believe that Jesus cared so little for other humans who were not Christian that he supported his father's will to deny them salvation?
You people are so ignorant of thought that you ARE the living dead!
June

I was led by the Spirit, as a grace by God, and by my free-will decision in my journey here on earth, being a Christian. I do not consider being either a Protestant or Catholic is a better/best situation. Rather, being a Christian is the best situation for my soul....

You can deny God's power for salvation. I don't. So your supposition that it is not in the Father's Will to offer salvation even to those who do not know Christ, through the Gospel message, is mere speculation on your part.

Jesus Christ cares more for you, than your speculation about His Will, Judgment, and Mercy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The untold story of Queen Elizabeth I and Islam 18 hr Full Muslim stupid 13
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 18 hr Mr Sir 10,239
News Cardinal tipped to be the next Pope warns of an... Sep 20 Looking down our ... 25
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) Sep 11 Jeremy 158
News The Latest: Walesa misses papal Mass, blames la... Sep 10 Ste 1
News Mother Teresa declared saint by Pope Francis Sep 8 South Knox Hombre 6
News 'Unlikely that Pope Francis will go to Pristina' Sep 8 CCCC 1
More from around the web