Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 636822 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“Free gift means FREE”

Since: Jan 09

Chicagoland

#465194 Jul 23, 2013
All we need to disprove the Lordship Salvation view of "assurance" (I put assurance in quotes since their view is not assurance at all) is one biblical example of someone who had assurance solely on the basis of God's promise. There are many. The apostles knew with 100% certainty (Luke 10:20; John 13:10). so did Timothy (1 Tim 1:2; 2 Tim 1:5), Titus (Titus 1:4), Martha (John 11:25-27), the Philippian jailor (Acts 16:30-34), Cornelius (Acts 10:43-48), and at least 120 people on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 1:15; 2:1-21; 11: 15). All of these had 100% certainty of their salvation. The promises of the Word of God were enough for them.
http://www.faithalone.org/magazine/y1993/93ju...

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#465195 Jul 23, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
...taught UN BAPTIZED babies go to Limbo
Can the teaching be supported?

No? Then it isn't valid.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#465196 Jul 23, 2013
The Orthodox are not robots. The Orthodox have soul.This is the fate of anyone, ANYONE, who betrays the True Faith.

In a number of specific confessions of the Fathers, there exists the saying, "Bad Obedience and Holy Disobedience". We are simply reminded of the indicative opinion of the great fighter of Orthodoxy, Great Athanasius against the Arian heresies.

He writes that in situations where the bishop or presbyter, the eyes of the Church, behave badly and causes the people to become scandalized, they must be expelled, even if it risks for the faithful to be without a shepherd.

It is better and advantageous to meet in the churches without bishops and priests, rather than the faithful be cast in hell together with the bishops and priests.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#465197 Jul 23, 2013
Osas7 wrote:
Difficulties Which Arise from
Failing to Recognize this Distinction
A. Distorting the Gospel Message
If passages like 1 Cor 9:24-27 and Phil 3:11-14 refer to obtaining eternal salvation, then believers must work to obtain it:
"Run in such a way that you may obtain it."
1 Cor 9:24
"I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."
1 Cor 9:27
"I press toward the goal of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
Phil 3:14
However, we know from many NT passages that this is not the case. Eternal salvation is absolutely free to the recipient (John 4:10; Rom 3:24; 4: 3-8; Eph 2:9; Rev 22:17). Jesus paid the whole price. We pay nothing. We are saved the moment we believe Jesus’ promise to give eternal life to all who trust Him for it (John 5:24; 6:47).
Unlike eternal salvation, eternal rewards are not free. They are earned by work done. Paul said in 2 Cor 5:10 that "all [believers] must appear before the Judgment Seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad." Similarly, the Lord Jesus said the He will "reward each according to his works" (Matt 16:27, emphasis added). Eternal salvation is not "according to what [one] has done" and is not "according to [one’s] works."
In some places eternal salvation and eternal rewards are contrasted in the same paragraph. For example, in 1 Cor 3:14-15 Paul said: "If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire." The unproductive believer is saved even though his works are burned up. However, if a believer’s works endure the test of fire, then in addition he will be rewarded. Compare also Rom 14:8-12; 2 Tim 2:11-13; Rev 22:14-17.
Since eternal rewards are not the same as eternal salvation, there is no contradiction of the Gospel in passages conditioning eternal rewards on perseverance in good works.
To understand passages like 1 Cor 9:24-27 and Phil 3:11-14 as being Gospel passages is to distort the Gospel by suggesting that ongoing good works are a requirement for obtaining eternal salvation.
More here:
http://www.faithalone.org/journal/1996i/Wilki...
Self.

You'll promote it, yet you refute it in the same post.

Why?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#465198 Jul 23, 2013
The head of the Orthodox Church is Christ, not a Patriarch, a Bishop, etc. If a Patriarch violates Christ's teachings, the self corrective mechanism of the Church, the agreement of the people, will issue the corrective.

“The road to Hell is paved with the bones of priests and monks, and the skulls of bishops are the lamp posts that light the path.John Chysostom
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#465199 Jul 23, 2013
Ten Roman Catholic False Doctrines.
Must see...

Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#465200 Jul 23, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
There was no gentile/heathen Roman Catholic church at that time either...
was there?
No there wasn't. There was the Catholic Church at Rome. St. Paul mentions us in his letter to us. Thanks for asking though.

And thanks so much for not screaming in capital letters.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#465201 Jul 23, 2013
Here it is folks, in plain and simple language! The Roman Catholic Gospel is a false Gospel and every true Christian believer needs to be aware of that truth!
Why?

Because we are living in a day where people such as Paul Crouch and the Trinity Broadcasting Network actually sell Roman Catholic materials on their website.

Not only that, but they have a Roman Catholic Priest that has his own program on that same network.

That is why I make videos such as this, to warn the believers who are being seduced by doctrines of devils! I am speaking as a FORMER Roman Catholic, one whom my precious LORD, set free from that deceptive system.

My sweet Jesus poured out HIS PRECIOUS BLOOD for my wretched soul, and it is my spiritual duty as a born again believer to warn others.

So here I am speaking the TRUTH in love to you, so that you do not fall into that same deception. Do not be FOOLED by the BIG NAME evangelists such as Billy Graham who do not have a problem in working with Rome, but believe God's Word, which will ultimately judge YOU in the last day!

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; (1 Timothy 4:1)

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; (2 Timothy 4:1-3)

Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.(Jude 1:3)

Human Being

Iowa, LA

#465202 Jul 23, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>EXCUSE ME, BUT I BELIEVE IN ETERNAL SECURITY, however that starts at the time of our death.
in this life that we now live in, it is TEMPORAL( enduring for a time only ), NOT ETERNAL.
neither gif/kay or myself would ever insist that Jesus has not the Power to keep us. our problem as humans is to "abide(to endure without yielding ) in Him".
notice that word, "yielding", which indicates that a person can give in to sin and lose their Soul in the process as the husband and wife did by lying to the Holy Ghost.
the "yielded" to the greed and the fact that they didn't wish to actually give their ALL to God and when that happens we falter and stumble, and lose our soul.
NO ONE CAN PLUCK US FROM JESUS EXCEPT OUR SELF
NOW SEE HOW EASY THAT IS TO FIGURE OUT.
Preston:

In your understanding, is there a difference between loyalty and faithfulness?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#465203 Jul 23, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But I do believe Gods word. I believe it and will die defending it.
I completely disagree with your opinion on Gods word. But that's ok, so do the previous 1900 yrs of Christianity.
Popcorn!!!!

Your cult ignores "And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery" because to acknowledge it would kill the cash cow Annulment".
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#465204 Jul 23, 2013
who=" Anthony MN"
Um, yeah. The apostles thought that Jesus's return was imminent, well within their lifetimes. And no, the was no "press corp" in Palestine.
Tell me what you know about the dating of the books in the NT.
I know that the supposed 'intellectuals' and the 'know-it-alls' teach that little of the Bible was written for many years after the fact.
I'm not persuaded, because I read Paul's letter to Timothy in which he said:
2Ti 4:13 The cloke that I left at Troas with Carpus, when thou comest, bring with thee, and the books, but especially the parchments.
(1) When you come (to see me)...(hadn't happened yet...)
(2) Bring my cloak and books (that I left there)
Paul would be a strange fellow to write such stuff from his grave!
The Bible characters were not 'cave men'. One O.T. writer speaks of a writing pen of iron with a diamond point.
KayMarie
No intellectuals or know-it-alls teach the "bible" was written many years after the fact. The OT was written long before, which is what St. Paul is referring to, he's not referring to the NT.

I understand pentecostals tend to fall into the anti-intellectual camp, but no serious bible scholar thinks the bible with the NT dropped out of the sky after Jesus's Ascension.

I'm sorry Kay, but no bible expert believes a single letter of the NT was written until at least 10 after Pentecost.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#465205 Jul 23, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
No intellectuals or know-it-alls teach the "bible" was written many years after the fact. The OT was written long before, which is what St. Paul is referring to, he's not referring to the NT.
I understand pentecostals tend to fall into the anti-intellectual camp, but no serious bible scholar thinks the bible with the NT dropped out of the sky after Jesus's Ascension.
I'm sorry Kay, but no bible expert believes a single letter of the NT was written until at least 10 after Pentecost.

Read a little more slowly. The point was not that Paul was asking for the Old Testament.

The point is that Paul's letter to Timothy was DURING THE 'PRESENT' TIME. Nothing of Paul's cloak was in the O.T. Paul was writing from prison WHILE he was there...not years later.

There is only ONE BIBLE EXPERT...the Holy Spirit.

KayMarie

Location hidden

#465206 Jul 23, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But I do believe Gods word. I believe it and will die defending it.
I completely disagree with your opinion on Gods word. But that's ok, so do the previous 1900 yrs of Christianity.
Fiddle faddle...

Your cult ignores "Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:" because to acknowledge it means the Immaculate Conniption is out the window and so is Mary ever virgin...
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#465207 Jul 23, 2013
Osas7 wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony, not just St Luke writings.
The Bible makes it clear that God, from the very beginning, desired that His normative revelations be written down and preserved for succeeding generations. "Moses then wrote down all the words of the Lord" (Exod. 24:4), and his book was preserved in the Ark (Deut. 31:26). Furthermore, "Joshua made a covenant with the people that day and made statutes and ordinances for them... which he recorded in the book of the law of God" (Josh. 24:25-26) along with Moses'(cf. Josh. 1:7). Likewise, "Samuel next explained to the people the law of royalty and wrote it in a book, which he placed in the presence of the Lord" (1 Sam. 10:25). Isaiah was commanded by the Lord to "take a large cylinder-seal, and inscribe on it in ordinary letters" (Isa. 8:1) and to "inscribe it in a record; that it may be in future days an eternal witness" (30:8). Daniel had a collection of "the books" of Moses and the prophets right down to his contemporary Jeremiah (Dan. 9:2). equip.org
You asked about ...how was the truth transmitted. Answer: Orally(first) and then written(second), which they were identical, one and in the same. Everything that was oral, was also written and verifiable, making the truth trustworthy, because it is recorded and safeguarded.
"how was the truth transmitted. Answer: Orally(first)"

I agree. You might want to discuss this with Kay, she doesn't agree.

"and then written(second).

Not only written says St. Paul.

"Everything that was oral, was also written and verifiable"

Jesus, the apostles and St. Paul never say this nor is it found anywhere in the bible.

Location hidden

#465208 Jul 23, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
Francis displayed that humility in greeting President Dilma Rousseff, saying he understood that to really know Brazilians, one must pass through their heart.
"So let me knock gently at this door," Francis said in Portuguese at the official welcome ceremony. "I have neither silver nor gold, but I bring with me the most precious thing given to me: Jesus Christ."
Pope Francis in Rio today
Nothing like a good raw chunk of Christ for the hungry, washed down with His blood!!!!!!Praze da pope!!!!!
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#465209 Jul 23, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Cowboy
When this came up a few,days ago..both Marge and I also were questioning the posts concerning Hebrews about there being no sacrifice left
BUT I am sure both of us..I KNOW I DID ..specify that we were talking About a falling away or sinning THAT WAS SINCERELY REPENTED OF.
That the Spirit calls one to REPENT when you stray.
This This was before Dom came back
I believe I also could not understand any believer who could continually ignore the Spirit as He can be very persistent
And unyielding if He calls..one to repent
RoSesz:

Generally speaking, you are talking about OBEDIENCE.

It is a learned habit, for humanity, generally by the carrot and stick, or in more spiritual terms, consolation and disconsolation.

One is basically repentant only once, and then correction through obedience then takes place....

To think one is repeatedly repentant implies that one must get repeatedly "saved" or born-again....It is our effort to be obedient, that is to endure, in which we are most often tested.

“Free gift means FREE”

Since: Jan 09

Chicagoland

#465210 Jul 23, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"how was the truth transmitted. Answer: Orally(first)"
I agree. You might want to discuss this with Kay, she doesn't agree.
"and then written(second).
Not only written says St. Paul.
"Everything that was oral, was also written and verifiable"
Jesus, the apostles and St. Paul never say this nor is it found anywhere in the bible.
I can only defend what I believe is true, as Kay, and others including yourself, therefore, there is nothing to take up with her, unless challenged by her.

However, I believe the point is made well here from equip.org

The Bible makes it clear that God, from the very beginning, desired that His normative revelations be written down and preserved for succeeding generations. "Moses then wrote down all the words of the Lord" (Exod. 24:4), and his book was preserved in the Ark (Deut. 31:26). Furthermore, "Joshua made a covenant with the people that day and made statutes and ordinances for them... which he recorded in the book of the law of God" (Josh. 24:25-26) along with Moses'(cf. Josh. 1:7). Likewise, "Samuel next explained to the people the law of royalty and wrote it in a book, which he placed in the presence of the Lord" (1 Sam. 10:25). Isaiah was commanded by the Lord to "take a large cylinder-seal, and inscribe on it in ordinary letters" (Isa. 8:1) and to "inscribe it in a record; that it may be in future days an eternal witness" (30:8). Daniel had a collection of "the books" of Moses and the prophets right down to his contemporary Jeremiah (Dan. 9:2). equip.org
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#465211 Jul 23, 2013
who=" Anthony MN"
Did gif take a vacation? I think you should first worry about your husband's approach, it would do wonders for the discourse here.
See what I mean? Do you think that your smart crack will excuse your unkindness?
I am not my husband's master...nor yours. That was an appeal to ALL of you to follow JESUS.
KayMarie
I think gif's last post to me was the first one in years where he wasn't screaming and yelling in capital letters condemning me and my "pagan infidel" church to the fiery pits of hell.

I'd love nothing more than to have civil discourse. I'll go first, and if y'all don't follow, what then?

Location hidden

#465212 Jul 23, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares..She is a child typing on a phone!!!!!
AND SHARING A GREAT TESTIMONY with other KIDS.
the words and sentiment are MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than spelling
What I saw on this forum was not a testimony of the which I have heard many.

Christians in general use the term "testify" or "to give one's testimony" to mean "the story of how one became a Christian.

Christians often give their testimony at their own baptism or at evangelistic events. In the current age of the Internet, many Christians have also placed their testimonies on the internet.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#465213 Jul 23, 2013
who=" Anthony MN"
Did you read what the official teaching of the Church says????
Rose, what does the bible say???
IMO you are the one instigating.
I don't think that the Bible specifically speaks of aborted babies, but it does say that GOD HATES THE SHEDDING OF INNOCENT BLOOD.
I don't recall a specific note about their destination...but it's not hard to see, for when David's son died, he said, "He cannot come to me, BUT I CAN GO TO HIM."
KayMarie
Point is Kay that you folks are the ones who adhere to sola scriptura, you admit the bible doesn't say FOR SURE where they go, yet you are certain they are in heaven. We Catholics, who aren't sola scriptura, say we don't know because the bible doesn't say, but do say we place our trust in God's mercy that they are in heaven. And then you mock us for our theory on limbo. Go figure.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Archbishop of Cologne Blasts Germany's Anti-Isl... 8 hr The Proclaimer 5
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 16 hr Im Just Saying 10,081
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Apr 19 Tough Guy 6
News Pope Rescues 12 Muslims To Demonstrate How Euro... Apr 18 The_Prophet_Had_LICE 5
News Pope's Refugee Airlift Was Last-Minute 'Inspira... Apr 18 Jim 1
News Pope Francis urges greater acceptance of homose... Apr 18 Sansamore 31
News Ecumenical Patriarch and Pope visit migrants in... Apr 17 Emmeline 9
More from around the web