Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
448,561 - 448,580 of 532,639 Comments Last updated 11 min ago
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Hello Rose...When I became Greek Orthodox I asked my priest that question because I also wanted to know where my little girl was in the churches belief.As you know my little girl died from cancer at age 6 and was not baptized.I was going to protestant church back then.My Orthodox priest told me that my baby was in the hands of Jesus and and not to worry.Thats enough for me....God Bless!
I can't imagine losing a child I am so sorry Seri. And of course she is with Jesus. Blessings
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Osas7 wrote:
Anthony and Atemcowboy, been a loooooong time.:)
Are you married? Got a girlfreind?

:)
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ask them not me ..that's what THEY posted..
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/religio...
However there seems to be some study about them being martyrs now.
Of course this says NITHING about miscarriages
Stop it Rose. Stop the mischaracterization and innuendo. This link CLEARLY talks about miscarriage. And this is the Church's teaching on unbaptized babies who die:

"The Catholic Church entrusts all children (from the moment of conception) who die without baptism to God’s mercy in hope of their salvation. There is no distinction between children already born and those still in the womb. "Indeed, the great mercy of God who desires that all men should be saved, and Jesus’ tenderness toward children which caused him to say:‘Let the children come to me, do not hinder them,’ allow us to hope that there is a way of salvation for children who have died without Baptism" (CCC 1261).

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Osas7 wrote:
welcome back, but change your nick, most if not all of us(Christians) have decided not to discuss OSAS any more as it leads to arguments. Agreed?.

Sera and hermi are new on here and don't know you. they are Orthodox and are great people.

in fact, sera is such a great cook, that the other day, hermi thought the dog food was meatloaf and it put it in the microwave and warmed it up and ate it, and loved it.lol

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see it as a tit-for-tat. I'm posting positive and ecumenical statements from respected and orthodox clergy and theologians like Bishop Ware WITHIN the Orthodox communion, you post negative and critical statements from dissidents and heretics that have separated themselves from the Catholic Church.
You're doing the exact opposite of what I'm doing. I'm being in inclusive, you're being divisive.
Your being a lieing vindictive person...you are posting the same to us....so it is Tit-for Tat

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Get out of town!....well Anthony, not all Orthodox are like your friend.Your hidden insults do not go unnoticed...John and I at one time had our own conversation when I first posted on this forum.And his advice to me was not to rock the boat with the catholics here even tho he agreed with me...Stop using John as a shield. May His Memory Be Eternal..
you are right and Dom is now back and he can tell you that Anthony wasn't a friend of Johns.

Anthony took dust storms side against John more than once

“Free gift means FREE”

Since: Jan 09

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Atemcowboy, thanks for the welcoming, however, I would NEVER change that nick, for others, as it represents my convictions on theological matters. I "may" change it, but it might say something like Eternal Security 7, or as the such.
Are you folks debating other issues here? And if so, what would that be?

Marge, I am married now. God bless
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Judged:

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Get out of town!....well Anthony, not all Orthodox are like your friend.Your hidden insults do not go unnoticed...John and I at one time had our own conversation when I first posted on this forum.And his advice to me was not to rock the boat with the catholics here even tho he agreed with me...Stop using John as a shield. May His Memory Be Eternal..
John and I (and other Catholics) went toe-to-toe countless times against those who would misrepresent the teachings of our Churches. It was almost always the result of sacrilege against the sacraments, or an insult directed at the Church fathers. We agreed early on that we would focus on the faith we share which is nearly the same and avoid the disagreements which were few. He found great support from us who will defend the sanctity of the Orthodox sacraments as we do our own. Sadly, I believe your personal grudge against us is too much for you to overcome.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Osas7 wrote:
Hey, how you doin'?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

John from NJ

Since: May 08

Belle Mead, NJ

Reply »

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2008

PAD wrote:

JOHN from New Jersey: Just as the believers in Jesus Christ cause the Jews to be jealous(the Apostle Paul said), I believe we are a thorn in the flesh to people like you who are rooted in a man made organization. OH by the way John, I thought that you were not a Roman Catholic,you said"I view it as my church"the same one Paul WV views as the holy Roman Catholic Church?So basically John you are both Orthodox and Roman Catholic, politically of course you are Orthodox "Catholic" as you put it.But in your heart you are Roman Catholic to the core, as it does fit your Historical and traditional beliefs.Do you attend both churches on a regular basis?Or do you get together with the Orthodox and proudly assert you are the First, but yet go to the Roman Church as well to enjoy their universality? John the first "church" of the Apostles was in Jerusalem, a Jewish replica of the Synagogue,minus the worship of the creation rather than the CREATOR!
I tried to remember the last time I was even in a Roman Catholic Church. I know I was in Paris in the early 1980's and probably went to Notre Dame Cathedral there.

And no, why would you think that the Roman Catholic Church would fit my historical or traditional beliefs? The Church at Rome was part of the Church, so there are some aspects of a shared history, shared traditional beliefs but the word "some" tells you that we don't share all of the same beliefs nor the same history. This is in contrast with, for example, the Church at Alexandria and the Church at Antioch who did share some history has the very same traditional beliefs.

I said early on that I will frustrate Protestants since I am not as "anti-Roman Catholic" as they are and will frustrate Roman Catholics since I don't agree with some of their new and/or changes to the Faith once given.

As for remembering the history and origin of the Church, think of that the next time you hear the organ or piano or more at your church.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't imagine losing a child I am so sorry Seri. And of course she is with Jesus. Blessings
Thank you Marge..she was a beautiful girl and well known in the city where we lived at the time. Many churches of different faiths knew about her and visited her.She loved jewelry,pretty dresses and dolls.She was an angel on earth and now an angel in Heaven...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you are right and Dom is now back and he can tell you that Anthony wasn't a friend of Johns.
Whos Dom?
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Take it up with your priest....
He likes the Orthodox too. Yeah, I'll keep posting friendly and ecumenical statements from respected Orthodox and defend our sacraments, you two can keep posting criticisms from dissident ex-Catholics and ignore the sacrilege . At least the protestants will still like you.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>you are right and Dom is now back and he can tell you that Anthony wasn't a friend of Johns.
True, however, Anthony attempted a balancing line between being friends with both of them, and only naturally, would Anthony agree with Dust Storm, because they had the same convictions.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, how you doin'?
Doing quite well, and thanks for asking Anthony. Married now, and manage roughly 80 properties. Still pressing deep on theological issues, Church history, etc. Same ol' same ol' as they say :) How are you? How is your business and family,etc?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

OBJECTIONS TO THE DOCTRINE OF ETERNAL SECURITY
Basically, three lines of evidence are appealed to in contradiction to the teaching of eternal security for Christians. They are as follows:

1) HUMAN EXPERIENCE
This is the argument that goes: What about So-and-so? He got saved five years ago and now he says he doesn't believe any more. That argument begins with human experience and tries to prove a particular interpretation of God's Word on the basis of it.

But that is starting in the wrong place. God's Word remains true whether it appears to be true in one person's experience or not (Romans 3:4). Our judgment of another person's spiritual condition can be faulty so many times.

2) LOGICAL DIFFICULTIES
This argument goes like this: Tell people they're secure and they'll get careless about their spiritual lives. Human nature being what it is, if you give people freedom, they're going to take advantage of it. But that is not a problem with the doctrine; it's a problem with people. And God says just the opposite. In the biblical view, the gift of salvation and free grace promote godliness, not a defection from the faith.

God says understanding our liberty in Christ will encourage holiness, not carnality. "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that [What? That we can sin as much as we please because we're safe? No!]...teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age (Titus 2:11-12). Confidence and joy in what God has done for us bring a desire to please Him and live for Him. That is love responding to grace.

3) PROBLEM TEXTS
The third argument against eternal security is people will say, "What about this verse? What about that verse?" Sometimes, the explanation is simple. Sometimes it's not. But that's true of any doctrine. The Bible is a profound book. There will always be difficulties and uncertainties to wrestle with.

Yet we know that God does not contradict Himself. So if it can be shown that the Bible strongly supports the doctrine of eternal security, then we need to consider some other interpretation for the passages that seem to suggest otherwise. In fact, the Bible does teach that Christians can never lose their salvation. The whole doctrine of salvation cries out for that. The whole scope of God's work on our behalf necessitates it.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Your being a lieing vindictive person...you are posting the same to us....so it is Tit-for Tat
No, I'm being positive sharing the brotherly statements of your bishops towards Catholics. You're pasting negative and hateful comments from dissident and critical ex-Catholics. Not the same at all.
Guest55

Sikeston, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, so you and Confrint are on the same page. But Oldg, Chuck and 4gvn are not. And depending what day it is. One of you two will have LTM and Mar? And we all agree that Ox is off in the corner playing in the sand box.
I still say this is a serious issue. If I'm new to religion and I seek Christ. I can go into OldJG's church and his Pastor will tell me to come to the alter and I will be saved. Once saved, always saved.
Then if I go into your church you'll tell me to come to the alter to get saved, BUT I now need to cooperate with this grace and endure til my death. For I could fall back into sin and lose my salvation. Right?
I say one of you two groups are in trouble for not preaching the will of God. One of you two obviously does not have the Holy Spirit bringing you to Biblical truth.
Well…Clay, you are correct it is a serious issue. Once saved, always saved depends on the conviction of the Holy Spirit as to whether you believe in eternal security without conditions to be met. Too many believe that all that you have to do is go to the altar of some church make a confession and presto you are told you are saved as long as you do this and don’t do that. In that respect you are correct about the need to cooperate with grace and endure till death, because the blood just isn’t sufficient enough and needs the “believers” help to seal the deal so to speak. The problem with that it is work based and gives grounds to boast of your own salvation. As far as osas or eternal security is concerned very few believe it because they believe in a merit based salvation and you can tell by the open hostility you will receive for even mentioning it. I find it interesting that Preston and GIF will come so close to admitting it in some of their post but they just can’t quite do it yet and just want it to go away. I always thought that was strange for a born again Christian to deny.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Whos Dom?
That would be me :)
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
John told me differently when I spoke to him on the phone before he died. I did stuck with DS when John was critical of the papacy, and I told DS to cool it when he was being rude to John.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 22 min Married in 8,127
More 23 hr True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... 23 hr Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes 23 hr ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••