Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 542,087
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464749 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
In the words of Timothy Ware (known as Greek Orthodox Bishop Kallistos) in The Orthodox Church,(1993 edition, Penguin Press, pages 259-260) he states:
"The Orthodox Church calls Mary all-holy, immaculate, free from actual sin. The Orthodox Church has never made any formal and definitive pronouncement on the matter of the Immaculate Conception. In the past, individual Orthodox theologians have made statements that, if not definitively affirming the Doctrine of Immaculate Conception, at any rate closely approach it. But since 1854, the great majority of Orthodox reject it as necessary; as implying a false understanding of original sin; as suspecting the doctrine because it seems to separate Mary from the rest of the descendants of Adam and Eve, putting her in a different class. However, if an individual Orthodox today felt impelled to believe it, he could not be termed a heretic for doing so."
Gee thanx. I would have never known that. Orthodox= Ancestral Sin Cath= Original Sin from Augustine.

"Closely approach it" We have not "definitively affirmed it"
It is not our belief.Like I said.Can you please just stand on your own beliefs without drawing the Ortho Church into it.You need our approval?

Location hidden

#464750 Jul 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I was making fun of you guys. I actually regret it. I never 'danced around while the Christian rock band was jammin'. That's what I see you guys do.
I really don't like to mock peoples worship practices. I'm trying to work on not doing that.
The Greek Orthodox are not allowed to dance in church because they start breaking plates
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#464751 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
and the KJV agrees with the Masoretic Text, while the Septuagint doesn't.
The masoretic text was copied a thousand years later than the Septuagint. The Septuagint agrees with the Dead Sea scrolls whenever the masoretic text disagrees with the Septuagint. Why would you prefer an OT that was copied by Jews 700-900 years after Christ and who were anti-Christian?
youtube

AOL

#464752 Jul 22, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_____

Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#464753 Jul 22, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer people posting some data from a link along with the link. Then if I want to read more about the subject, I will.
I'm not at your beck and call.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#464754 Jul 22, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Which brings up the question: What has any faithful Catholic done to be saved????
You claim to be saved and so does chuck who also says Catholics aren't saved (I assume you do too). My question to you both is what have you done for this salvation that a Catholic cant also claim?
LTM

Sault Sainte Marie, Canada

#464755 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And for heaven sake the child was on a cell phone pouring out her heart.
when the OT was written and the NT they didn't even h ave t he English language. Or Facebook or cell phones
Thank you RoSesz, I didn't know that!! that is a good point.
chuck

Sunbury, OH

#464756 Jul 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I know the Lord and He knows me. I'm grateful my salvation doesn't hinge on what some guy with a yellow highlighted KJV says about Christianity.
I actually remember the first time a born again fanatic scared me into thinking I ain't saved. He was an ex hippie drug addict. I ran home and told my parents I was going to Hell for being Catholic. My Father went down the street to have a word with him. The guy was already in a wheel chair so my Dad didn't kick his #%*.
He never bothered me and my siblings again though. That was the 80's and the evangelical movement was really getting popular. lol
Well...I guess when you leave earth and come face to face with God, He'll say why didn't you leave the the religious system catholic church you were in? I sent you a born again ex hippie drug addict to warn you.

Great story Clay. Gave me chills.....
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#464757 Jul 22, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Gee thanx. I would have never known that. Orthodox= Ancestral Sin Cath= Original Sin from Augustine.
It is not our belief.Like I said.Can you please just stand on your own beliefs without drawing the Ortho Church into it.You need our approval?
This post wasnt directed to you. Why are you bothering to reply?

I'm posting information directly from Orthodox scholars so as to avoid the appearance of Catholic bias. This way the non-Orthodox observers can make their own minds up regarding the substantial similarities between the two. I'm also not interested in exchanges pleasantries with protestants who blaspheme our sacraments or holy mysteries just so we can massage each others egos.

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#464758 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>The Greek Orthodox are not allowed to dance in church because they start breaking plates
OPA

lol
chuck

Sunbury, OH

#464759 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"Get saved and we'll talk..."
What have you done to "get saved" that any faithful Catholic hasn't done?
Why Tony? We've been through this 100 times and the answer is always the same. Your parents have nothing to do with your salvation. There you...again.
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#464760 Jul 22, 2013
<quoted text>Gee thanx. I would have never known that. Orthodox= Ancestral Sin Cath= Original Sin from Augustine.
" In the past, individual Orthodox theologians have made statements that, if not definitively affirming the Doctrine of Immaculate Conception, at any rate closely approach it."

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#464761 Jul 22, 2013
who="Clay "
I was making fun of you guys. I actually regret it. I never 'danced around while the Christian rock band was jammin'. That's what I see you guys do.
I really don't like to mock peoples worship practices. I'm trying to work on not doing that.

Thank you...good move.

KM

Location hidden

#464762 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
"In summary, Orthodoxy does not reject Roman primacy as such, but simply a particular way of understanding that primacy. Within a reintegrated Christendom the bishop of Rome will be considered primus inter pares serving the unity of God's Church in love. He cannot be accepted as set up over the Church as a ruler whose diakonia is conceived through legalistic categories of power of jurisdiction. His authority must be understood, not according to standards of earthly authority and domination, but according to terms of loving ministry and humble service (Matt. 20:25&#8209;27).[44]
Before the schism, in times of ecclesiastical discord and theological controversies, appeals for peaceful resolutions and mediation were made to the pope from all parts of the Christian world. For instance, in the course of the iconoclast controversy, St Theodore the Studite (759&#8209;829) urged the emperor to consult the pope: "If there is anything in the patriarch's reply about which you feel doubt or disbelief... you may ask the chief elder in Rome for clarification, as has been the practice from the beginning according to inherited tradition."[45] From an Orthodox perspective, however, it is important to emphasize that these appeals to the bishop of Rome are not to be understood in juridical terms. The case was not closed when Rome had spoken, and the Byzantines felt free on occasion to reject a Roman ruling.[46]
In a reintegrated Christendom, when the pope takes his place once more as primus inter pares within the Orthodox Catholic communion, the bishop of Rome will have the initiative to summon a synod of the whole Church. The bishop of Rome will, of course, preside over such a synod and his office may coordinate the life and the witness of the Orthodox Catholic church and in times of need be its spokesman. The role of acting as the voice of the Church is not, however, to be restricted to any hierarchical order within the Church, still less to a single see. In principle, any bishop, priest or layman may be called by the Holy Spirit to proclaim the true faith."
http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith8523
For those of you watching this, this is the game Anthonmy and others play.

First, they try to do a slight twist on Ortho dogma or their dogma to say "We really believe the same thing" " WE just word it different" etc

Then they find a quote from some ortho priest , bishop, etc who says we should reunite, there really was a pope, etc.

#1 There are priests, even Patriarchs (who do not have the authority in the Ortho Church, just an "authority of union with the people in the faith)that will say we should reunite, or yes there always was a Pope. How weak is this.Find someone and then post it like it represents the whole organization.

So if the Orthos and Caths are not that different- then why not reunite??? Because of the Faith. We will not water down the faith like the Caths to up our numbers. Caths took Barbarians into the Church and let them have their own gods as well for years

The "Ecumenists that want to reunite with the Cath Church are viewed as enemies and traitors by many in the Church.I posted a poll showing that the priests and people do not want to reunite. The Patriarchs are just doing smart politics.The Emperor himself sent Ortho heads to a Council. The Representatives agreed to a compromise with the Caths.The priests and people refused to follow it A Patriarch abdicated over this. e refused to go with the Caths. The Emperor forced it for a while but it died on the vine.

Anthony stay out of the Ortho Church. If you want to represent us study and join. Otherwise dont speak for a Church you dont belong to with your looking for a priest that does not represent the Ortho position.

You are deliberately trying to provoke.Im not angry. Ill just keep teaching you.Vle.

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#464763 Jul 22, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you RoSesz, I didn't know that!! that is a good point.
That's what cowboy said..But actually. Who cares..it's,a typo!!!!

The young lady was making a statement about her walk with the Lord.

Have no idea what the poster was going on about ..

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#464764 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm posting information directly from Orthodox scholars so as to avoid the appearance of Catholic bias. This way the non-Orthodox observers can make their own minds up regarding the substantial similarities between the two. I'm also not interested in exchanges pleasantries with protestants who blaspheme our sacraments or holy mysteries just so we can massage each others egos.
http://www.antiochianarch.org. au/orthodox-view-on-Immaculate -Conception.aspx
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#464765 Jul 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...I guess when you leave earth and come face to face with God, He'll say why didn't you leave the the religious system catholic church you were in? I sent you a born again ex hippie drug addict to warn you.
Great story Clay. Gave me chills.....
What have you done...biblically...for your salvation that Catholics have not done?
chuck

Sunbury, OH

#464766 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
My post "get saved and we'll talk" wasn't directed to you. Why are you bothering to reply?

Location hidden

#464767 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Super!

Location hidden

#464768 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim to be saved and so does chuck who also says Catholics aren't saved (I assume you do too). My question to you both is what have you done for this salvation that a Catholic cant also claim?
http://theorthodoxchurch.info/ blog/news/2012/12/an-orthodox- christian-understanding-of-the -immaculate-conception/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 16 min Eyes on Christ 8,295
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... 2 hr KidlatNgayon 72
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sep 10 ELIAS IBARRA 5
Pope Francis pursues a thaw in relations with m... Sep 9 Andrez Lopez 2
Francis' letter to Cubans: Imitate Mary's joy, ... Sep 8 Crusader 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Sep 5 ELIAS IBARRA 49
Pope Francis' one-day trip expected to give Alb... Sep 4 Barbarian 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••