Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 692142 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#464902 Jul 22, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly I am an individual. I know you and your Church would like to mold me into a Pro-Union Catholic but I have studied and learned the game.It will not work with me or anyone who checks out what is said before they sign on.
We want nothing of the sort. And many of your bishops see that too.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#464903 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets just say, whether you like it or not, many of your leaders firmly believe most Catholic and Orthodox beliefs are the same. You feel threatened by the Catholic Church and need not be. No Catholic leader expects the Orthodox to change your dogma. If you read any of the statements from the joint meetings you would realize that.
Yes, I will continue to post statements from YOUR OWN BISHOPS regarding our shared beliefs. I will not post theological criticisms from Catholic apologists because I would rather the folks here not think its biased.
Threatened by the catholic church? Not hardy....remember the catholic church took a dirt road a long time ago and has water down the faith.The corruption in the catholic church is discusting.

Location hidden

#464904 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Was the John you all are talking about ..the Orthodox poster..was he John from New Jersey .
I think I posted to Him a few times way back before I left topix ..I know it was an Orthodox poster and I think his name was John??
yes Rose that's him.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#464905 Jul 22, 2013
Osas7 wrote:
Eternal Security Is the Promise of the Gospel
The first reason is that the truth of eternal security is the heart of what the gospel promises. Let’s look at a few examples: "He who believes in the Son has everlasting life" (John 3:36). "He who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life" (John 5:24). "He who believes in Me shall never thirst" (John 6:35b). "And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand" (John 10:28).
The Lord Jesus did not promise temporary life to those who believe in Him. He promised eternal life. Those who believe in Him will never come into judgment regarding their eternal destiny. They will never thirst again for the water of life. Nor will they ever hunger again for the bread of life. They will never die spiritually. Nothing can separate believers from the Lord. Eternal life is eternal. Eternal salvation is guaranteed by the One who died and rose again.
http://www.faithalone.org/magazine/y2002/02E1...
lol. man you are still easy. you gave up and now want me to debate a link.

that is what clay wanted a couple of hours ago.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#464906 Jul 22, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Jealous? You post trash all you want if it makes you happy.Friendly...right lol
Not at all. I've been posting with many here for over 5 years. If I preferred "friendship" over defending my faith I would've caved in years ago.

“Free gift means FREE”

Since: Jan 09

Chicagoland

#464907 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>john 11:26 is not proof of OSAS. Jesus is only asking them a question.
john 5;24 is a good verse, however it doesn't take into consideration of a person leaving Jesus, does it?
I asked for a verse that proves positively about OSAS being Biblical correct.
cant you do better than that?
cant you see that it is impossible to prove something that isn't true.lol
Thanks for the good humor, but I have to respectively disagree.
Jesus asked a question, true, but why? Just look at the preceding verse 25:
25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that BELIEVETH in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Martha responds in v.27 (right after Jesus said "never die" in v.26)

27 She saith unto him, YEA, Lord: I BELIEVE that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world.

The condition was "believe".
26 And whosoever liveth and BELIEVETH in me shall never die. BELIEVIST thou this?

Jesus doesn't ask the question about "never die", no, He affirms it with His statement.

It is my contention, that v. 26 IS proof, that Eternal Security is true.

For the record, I uphold both Sovereignty and Freewill(without neglecting the promises of God, and am neither Calvinist nor Arminian in doctrine. I'm more Dispensational(in the classical sense).

As to your question about walking away, I don't hold to the Reformed view, they were never saved to begin with kind of answers. I believe believers can and at times DO walk away, but I still don't believe they forfeit their salvation, but that is another discussion in itself.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#464908 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. now this could fit your brand of doctrine.lol
however there is one little word that is very BIG when it comes to doctrine,
IF
First of all, death does not always = spiritual death, just as salvation does not always refer to eternal life. Death in the Bible, sometimes refers to premature death, a physical death. Agree?

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#464909 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>lol. man you are still easy. you gave up and now want me to debate a link.
that is what clay wanted a couple of hours ago.
Debate a link? Not at all, just sourcing the quote, that's all.

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#464910 Jul 22, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Congrats! And she is blessed to marry a God-fearing man. Blessings to you both.
Thanks Marge!
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#464911 Jul 22, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
"All must begin with spiritual life, with spiritual unity, and it must work from inside outwards. Unification of the Churches can only be a work of the Holy Spirit. But we can prepare this work spiritually in our human part, we can create a favorable spiritual soil. Christian unity must not begin with negotiation of Church governances, but with a spiritual unification of Christians, with forming a Christian friendly association, which is possible while also remaining true to one's own creed." Nikolai Berdyaev
So is this what you are doing,spiritual unity? This is what you are trying to do by your posting individual Bishop opinions?
I believe the Holy Spirit is working in my heart and the hearts of Catholic and Orthodox bishops towards a unity, a unity that will not sacrifice the truth, just as Jesus prayed to the Father. Sadly I see rejection and resistance at even an attempt towards understanding from you two.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#464912 Jul 22, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OBJECTIONS TO THE DOCTRINE OF ETERNAL SECURITY
Basically, three lines of evidence are appealed to in contradiction to the teaching of eternal security for Christians. They are as follows:
1) HUMAN EXPERIENCE
This is the argument that goes: What about So-and-so? He got saved five years ago and now he says he doesn't believe any more. That argument begins with human experience and tries to prove a particular interpretation of God's Word on the basis of it.
But that is starting in the wrong place. God's Word remains true whether it appears to be true in one person's experience or not (Romans 3:4). Our judgment of another person's spiritual condition can be faulty so many times.
2) LOGICAL DIFFICULTIES
This argument goes like this: Tell people they're secure and they'll get careless about their spiritual lives. Human nature being what it is, if you give people freedom, they're going to take advantage of it. But that is not a problem with the doctrine; it's a problem with people. And God says just the opposite. In the biblical view, the gift of salvation and free grace promote godliness, not a defection from the faith.
God says understanding our liberty in Christ will encourage holiness, not carnality. "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men, teaching us that [What? That we can sin as much as we please because we're safe? No!]...teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly in the present age (Titus 2:11-12). Confidence and joy in what God has done for us bring a desire to please Him and live for Him. That is love responding to grace.
3) PROBLEM TEXTS
The third argument against eternal security is people will say, "What about this verse? What about that verse?" Sometimes, the explanation is simple. Sometimes it's not. But that's true of any doctrine. The Bible is a profound book. There will always be difficulties and uncertainties to wrestle with.
Yet we know that God does not contradict Himself. So if it can be shown that the Bible strongly supports the doctrine of eternal security, then we need to consider some other interpretation for the passages that seem to suggest otherwise. In fact, the Bible does teach that Christians can never lose their salvation. The whole doctrine of salvation cries out for that. The whole scope of God's work on our behalf necessitates it.
Sorry to go back to yesterday ...Heb 10:26

Seems to say keep sinning ..But also seems to say yy oh can t go back if you do..like saved folks who leave fir years and then repent ??

I asked yesterday about Heb 6

Location hidden

#464913 Jul 22, 2013
Osas7 wrote:
Jesus promises everlasting life to all who simply believe in Him for it (John 3:16; 4:13-14; 5:24; 6:47; 11:25-27). He doesn’t promise provisional life. As Dr. Ryrie likes to say,“If everlasting life could be lost, it has the wrong name.”
what about those who believe and then walk away like Demas, never ever can you people dispute Demas when you ry and shove a lie down our throats with OSAS.

and people do walk away, you know or else they live in sin, without repercussions, they think, but the Bible is clear that sin brings forth death, for the soul that sinneth, shall surely die.

ananias and sapphira were both Believers yet they lied and lost their soul. look it up in Acts chapter 4.

there goes OSAS>LOL.

see what I told you . osas will only cause trouble, our convictions are not necessarily Doctrine, especially when it comes from the unlearned.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#464914 Jul 22, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Threatened by the catholic church? Not hardy....remember the catholic church took a dirt road a long time ago and has water down the faith.The corruption in the catholic church is discusting.
Watered down faith. "discusting" corruption.
How long have you been Orthodox?

Location hidden

#464915 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Not at all. I've been posting with many here for over 5 years. If I preferred "friendship" over defending my faith I would've caved in years ago.
Yikes 5 years and your still at it....that's a sin in itself...think about it...what have you accomplished in those 5 years here? Not a thing. Did you convert anyone? Did you convince them that the Catholic church is the TRue Church? What a waste of time.

Location hidden

#464916 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Was the John you all are talking about ..the Orthodox poster..was he John from New Jersey .
I think I posted to Him a few times way back before I left topix ..I know it was an Orthodox poster and I think his name was John??
same one as when you were on here way back when

“Free gift means FREE”

Chicagoland

#464917 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to go back to yesterday ...Heb 10:26
Seems to say keep sinning ..But also seems to say yy oh can t go back if you do..like saved folks who leave fir years and then repent ??
I asked yesterday about Heb 6
Here are some helpful notes on this verse:

http://gracelife.org/resources/gracenotes.asp...

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#464918 Jul 22, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>yes Rose that's him.
I was wondering but then people leave all the time.

I was off here for over 3 years ...

Well may he rest in peace then .

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464919 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know full well about Greeks and their grudges. Lol.
No, I'll remain positive. I'll not attack you, I'll not attack your faith or the Orthodox faith. I'll simply continue, like our bishops do and make efforts towards an understanding and mutual respect and work towards reunification. You can continue to be negative and spiteful if thats what you prefer.
You are taking the thoughts of individuals and twisting this to make it seem that the Orthodox Church is pro-reuniting. This is untrue and malicious.I will post the poll that was taken showing a clear unwillingness of the people of the Orthodox Church to unite with the Catholics. I posted it before. You saw it. But we are far enough away from it to remake history again, aren't we? So post your individual Bishops.

Location hidden

#464920 Jul 22, 2013
OSAS REFUTED BY PRESTON USING THE BILE NOT SOME MANS OPINION.

And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together;

[[[and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost,]]]]]]
THIS IS A CHRISTIAN.

and they spake the word of God with boldness.

NOW CHAPTER 5.

But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.

3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

A UNBELEIVER WAS NOT LYING TO THE HOLY GHOST, NOR WOULD A NONBELEIVER BE BRINGING MONEY TO PETER.

you cant prove a lie but the truth will stand on its own without asking for another mans opinion or having to resort to it

32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

33 And with great power gave the apostles witness of the resurrection of the Lord Jesus: and great grace was upon them all.

34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,

Location hidden

#464921 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the Holy Spirit is working in my heart and the hearts of Catholic and Orthodox bishops towards a unity, a unity that will not sacrifice the truth, just as Jesus prayed to the Father. Sadly I see rejection and resistance at even an attempt towards understanding from you two.
Not everyone loves the catholic church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Dec 12 Frindly 4
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web