Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 675907 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#464819 Jul 22, 2013
How many years does the Dead Sea Scrolls predate the Masoretic text?

Answer:

The earliest Dead Sea scrolls have been dated to 2160 years ago.
The Masoretic text has always existed, since the giving of the Torah and the prophets. What the Massoretes were doing when they were active (1250 to 1050 years ago) was to ascertain the exact Tanakh text as it had been in ancient times; i.e. the original (to ferret out any copyists' errors that might have crept into individual scrolls). This labor was concluded 1060 years ago, when Aaron Ben Asher of Teveryah (Tiberias) completed the two centuries of that research. His handwritten Tanakh, called the Keter Aram Tzova, was kept for centuries in Aleppo, is still extant today, and was declared perfectly accurate by the Rambam (Maimonides), who himself had come across a Torah scroll from well over a thousand years before his time.

want to know the answers about Judaism, ask the jewish people.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464820 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes because on an abortion forum none of the Catholics ..here too.
Seem to think aborted babies are with Jesus..in fact they put up a link
Which seemed to say abortion is a creation of the evil one ( I agreed)
With the purpose of having the souls of these unborn children baptized thus dying guilty of original sin.
Your explanation makes much more sense ..IMO
We do inherit disposition to sin and DEATH from Adam
I cannot believe. OUR DEAR LORD would let the evil one triumph over the souls of babies killed in the womb.
Not miscarried baby's ..nor infants And young children who die
without baptism.
Imo
I forgot death. Yes we inherit death. Thank you.Your description of the Cath post on abortion was informative as well. Be well.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#464821 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>snipped because I only wish to address this question of yours. even tho I have spoken of this many times, maybe you never read it.
not long after I got Saved, Cathies dad was in the hospital and the Lord woke me up and told me to call her at the Hospital. and when I did, she told me that her dad was in bad shape. when I started to walk out of home, the Lord spoke to me and told me to take my Bible(KJV,of course) and when I walked into the ICU, her dad was having a difficult time. I knelt down and began to pray, and God told me to put one hand on my Bible and the other on him. and then Power like electricity flowed thru me into him. and when I finished Praying, I said these words, "Lord I commend his soul into your hands".
Immediately he began to breath better. and one woman then called me over and told me how he had kept them awake all night. and asked me to pray for her.
thru this Spiritual Experience, I found out the answer that you are seeking. I wouldn't use any other version but that good old KJV that has helped millions get Saved.
Really Preston? The Lord woke you up and told you to call the Hospital, and when you went to your car, The Lord stopped you and said,'grab your KJV Bible'.

You've gotta be kidding. Are you trying to be a smart a$$ or something?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#464822 Jul 22, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim to be saved and so does chuck who also says Catholics aren't saved (I assume you do too). My question to you both is what have you done for this salvation that a Catholic cant also claim?
It is clear....you have no answer to "Which brings up the question: What has any faithful Catholic done to be saved????"

Its a safe bet...if you do not know how to be saved...you ain't!!!!!

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#464823 Jul 22, 2013
observer wrote:
<quoted text> Its a very handy book? Well a sears catalog is a handy book too hangin in the shithouse.If the authors are unknown then its worthless pal.
The ultimate "authors" of the new testament were the Catholics in power who passed it off as absolute truth. Nothing went in that book without Catholic approval.

Location hidden

#464824 Jul 22, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxford, what is wrong with you it could have been a typing mistake.
Sometimes I don't hit the keys hard enough I have spelled God with a small (g) myself a few times.
A lot of new Christians don't know that God should be spelled with a capital (G).
God knows what's in this girls heart, why are you being so judgmental.
Are you so perfect your intolerant of this young girls spelling mistake.
Whom has never made a mistake???? No one. I learned early in life, never to judge a man by the mistakes he makes, but, instead, how long after he makes a mistake does he correct it...if ever....

I find it an insult to God to refer to Him as god.....

"A lot of new Christians don't know that God should be spelled with a capital (G)."....then I question their claim to be so....anyone whom has ever studied His Word knows He has never ever been referred to as god in the Bible.....

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#464825 Jul 22, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes because on an abortion forum none of the Catholics ..here too.
Seem to think aborted babies are with Jesus..in fact they put up a link
Which seemed to say abortion is a creation of the evil one ( I agreed)
With the purpose of having the souls of these unborn children baptized thus dying guilty of original sin.
Your explanation makes much more sense ..IMO
We do inherit disposition to sin and DEATH from Adam
I cannot believe. OUR DEAR LORD would let the evil one triumph over the souls of babies killed in the womb.
Not miscarried baby's ..nor infants And young children who die
without baptism.
Imo
I so agree with you!!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#464826 Jul 22, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll have to post the citation or support that shows Catholicism teaches what you say.
You do have this information, or has it just been told to you, and you haven't had the chance to research it yet?
What say you?
Hey ask them not me ..that's what THEY posted..
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/religio...

However there seems to be some study about them being martyrs now.

Of course this says NITHING about miscarriages

Location hidden

#464827 Jul 22, 2013
Well....man called of God...will you share or not??

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>thanks your opinion is much different than that of Oxbore

Share with us your Salvation testimony....
Clay

Garden City, MI

#464828 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
How many years does the Dead Sea Scrolls predate the Masoretic text?
Answer:
The earliest Dead Sea scrolls have been dated to 2160 years ago.
The Masoretic text has always existed, since the giving of the Torah and the prophets. What the Massoretes were doing when they were active (1250 to 1050 years ago) was to ascertain the exact Tanakh text as it had been in ancient times; i.e. the original (to ferret out any copyists' errors that might have crept into individual scrolls). This labor was concluded 1060 years ago, when Aaron Ben Asher of Teveryah (Tiberias) completed the two centuries of that research. His handwritten Tanakh, called the Keter Aram Tzova, was kept for centuries in Aleppo, is still extant today, and was declared perfectly accurate by the Rambam (Maimonides), who himself had come across a Torah scroll from well over a thousand years before his time.
want to know the answers about Judaism, ask the jewish people.
How come the Sadducees, Pharisees and Essenes all had different agreements on Scripture around the time of Christ, and Jesus (knowing this) never established which Books were 'the Bible'?

Also, the writing patterns of the authors of the Dead Sea Scrolls are similar to the Apostles. Obviously this is because the Apostles were Jewish too and lived in the same region as them and in the same time period. This helps Bible scholars in understanding (for example) what Paul was talking about in Romans and Galatians about 'works of the Law'. This is highlighted in a letter from the Essenes to the Pharisees that was among the manuscripts found.

I look forward to learning more about this. My source is Dr. John Bergsma - a former Evangelical Pastor who was led to the CC through his knowledge of Biblical history, including the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Location hidden

#464829 Jul 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Really Preston? The Lord woke you up and told you to call the Hospital, and when you went to your car, The Lord stopped you and said,'grab your KJV Bible'.
You've gotta be kidding. Are you trying to be a smart a$$ or something?
never got to the car, clay. it was before I got to the door.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#464830 Jul 22, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Hello Rose...When I became Greek Orthodox I asked my priest that question because I also wanted to know where my little girl was in the churches belief.As you know my little girl died from cancer at age 6 and was not baptized.I was going to protestant church back then.My Orthodox priest told me that my baby was in the hands of Jesus and and not to worry.Thats enough for me....God Bless!
That's very sad, I didn't know that you lost a young child. I think I would go into an insane asylum if I had to deal with that.
I would agree, your daughter is undoubtedly with the Lord.
I saw a friend of mine get struck and killed by a car when she was only 15. I'll never forget her Mothers pain. And her Dad went off the deep end at the funeral too..
I bet you think about your daughter everyday.

Location hidden

#464831 Jul 22, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Well....man called of God...will you share or not??
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>thanks your opinion is much different than that of Oxbore
Share with us your Salvation testimony....
it would be different that anything that you have experienced since you aren't Saved.

but lets just face facts.

I don't bounce to your ball, I do what I want when I want

Location hidden

#464832 Jul 22, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
How come the Sadducees, Pharisees and Essenes all had different agreements on Scripture around the time of Christ, and Jesus (knowing this) never established which Books were 'the Bible'?
Also, the writing patterns of the authors of the Dead Sea Scrolls are similar to the Apostles. Obviously this is because the Apostles were Jewish too and lived in the same region as them and in the same time period. This helps Bible scholars in understanding (for example) what Paul was talking about in Romans and Galatians about 'works of the Law'. This is highlighted in a letter from the Essenes to the Pharisees that was among the manuscripts found.
I look forward to learning more about this. My source is Dr. John Bergsma - a former Evangelical Pastor who was led to the CC through his knowledge of Biblical history, including the Dead Sea Scrolls.
then you should invite "your source" onto this forum.lol

Location hidden

#464833 Jul 22, 2013
Atemcowboy said"

my granddaughters testimony on facebook.

A month ago i re-entered church and asked god to be apart of my life,Not because he had given up on me but because i had given up living my life for him. I thought this experience would be a breeze but its been one of the roughest rides ive been on. This past week has been filled with nothing but heart break,And it threw me off in the beginning but its opened my eyes to many things. I see how this life is short and im completely done with thinking were guaranteed tomorrow.I have a wonderful life and some pretty special people in it and its time to start appreciating it more!— feeling blessed.

If that is a testimony of one's Salvation...I will eat it!!!

And....the lies that "well she was texting on her phone and it does have the feature to capitalize words" is bunk so the term god was used..

Words capitalize in this "testimony":

Not I This And
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#464834 Jul 22, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
Tit for Tat as long as you post your misleading quotes re Orthodoxy:
Anthony
Matthew Fox (born 1940) is an American priest and theologian.[1] Formerly a member of the Dominican Order within the Roman Catholic Church, he is now a member of the Episcopal Church.
In 1983, Catholic Church leadership began officially reviewing Fox’s teachings and theological divergences. Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger – then Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, a Vatican administrative body charged with teaching and defending church doctrine – ordered a panel of Dominican priests and theologians to perform a two-year review of Fox’s writings.
When the initial findings found in Fox’s favor, Cardinal Ratzinger, later to become Pope Benedict XVI, rejected them and ordered a second review which was never undertaken. SOME SCHOLARS SAY THESE TRADITIONS ARE CLOSE TO THOSE THAT WERE FIRST LAID OUT BY JESUS.
AMONG FOX’S MOST CONTROVERSIAL TEACHINGS WAS A BELIEF IN "ORIGINAL BLESSING", WHICH BECAME THE TITLE OF ONE OF HIS MOST POPULAR BOOKS. THE CONCEPT WAS IN DIRECT CONTRAVENTION OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC DOCTRINE THAT PEOPLE ARE BORN INTO "ORIGINAL SIN".
In 1988, Fox wrote a public letter to Cardinal Ratzinger entitled "IS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH TODAY A DYSFUNCTIONAL FAMILY?", which was subsequently widely disseminated by the National Catholic
Reporter. Soon after, Cardinal Ratzinger issued an order forbidding Fox to teach or lecture for a year.
In 1993, Fox’s conflicts with Catholic authorities climaxed with his expulsion from the Dominican order for "disobedience", effectively ending his professional relationship with the church and his teaching at its universities.
Cardinal Ratzinger ordered the expulsion after Fox refused to respond to a summons to discuss his writings with his superiors in the Roman Catholic Church.
I don't see it as a tit-for-tat. I'm posting positive and ecumenical statements from respected and orthodox clergy and theologians like Bishop Ware WITHIN the Orthodox communion, you post negative and critical statements from dissidents and heretics that have separated themselves from the Catholic Church.

You're doing the exact opposite of what I'm doing. I'm being in inclusive, you're being divisive.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#464835 Jul 22, 2013
chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about my parents.
I haven't done anything that a catholic has done for salvation.
A non-response to my question. What have you done biblically that a Catholic hasn't done for your salvation?

Location hidden

#464836 Jul 22, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Atemcowboy said"
my granddaughters testimony on facebook.
A month ago i re-entered church and asked god to be apart of my life,Not because he had given up on me but because i had given up living my life for him. I thought this experience would be a breeze but its been one of the roughest rides ive been on. This past week has been filled with nothing but heart break,And it threw me off in the beginning but its opened my eyes to many things. I see how this life is short and im completely done with thinking were guaranteed tomorrow.I have a wonderful life and some pretty special people in it and its time to start appreciating it more!— feeling blessed.
If that is a testimony of one's Salvation...I will eat it!!!
And....the lies that "well she was texting on her phone and it does have the feature to capitalize words" is bunk so the term god was used..
Words capitalize in this "testimony":
Not I This And
you are a idiot.lol

God looks at the heart not the outside, I think that I remember reading that once.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#464837 Jul 22, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>then you should invite "your source" onto this forum.lol
www.youtube.com/watch...

jonhbergsma.com/documents/outlines/deadseascr...

salvationhistory.com/blog/john_bergsma_on_the...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#464838 Jul 22, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Your true intend is to have the Protestants on this thread turn against us. It has nothing to do with the fact that the Orthodox church and the Catholic church do share things in common.The difference here Tony is that Nick and I RESPECT the Protestants here and you Catholic Don't.The fact remains that the catholics on this forum are nothing more than bullies and have an agenda that is far from Christian.
Not my intentions at all. My true intention if you must know is to hopefully encourage you to be more like my dear friend John from NJ who was a true and faithful Orthodox Christian who recognized the differences between our Churches, but had the moral fortitude to stand up for our common beliefs and historical union, and defend against the desecration of the sacraments by the fundamentalists on this board. You'd rather have a coffee klatch....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope Francis meets knights of ancient order in ... Thu namredipsobla 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Wed Married in 10,520
News Pope Francis meets 4 Imams to open a Christian-... Apr 21 Joe 30
News Pope opens free laundromat for the poor Pope Fr... Apr 12 True Christian wi... 1
News Role of women in the modern Catholic Church 'un... Apr 9 South Knox Hombre 1
News What Pope Francis and Obama may talk about (Sep '15) Apr 7 Teana Trump 53
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Mar 31 whirlingmerc 9
More from around the web