Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Comments (Page 22,398)

Showing posts 447,941 - 447,960 of513,308
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We should let the word of God be true,
There is a reason in bible study groups that several people take completely different meanings from the words. They put into the words what they believe the words mean to them.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

The Use and Misuse of Language edited by S. I. Hayakawa.

General semanticists know it is hard to make the average person realize that he brings meaning to the word, that the word does not contain any meaning.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

who="hojo"
Thanks KayMarie, but I have read it! No matter how many times we, as Catholics, tell you bible only believers, it just seems to go in "one ear and out the other" that the Catholic Church DOES NOT believe or teach in "works only" regarding Salvation...OLDJG conveniently "avoids" the book of James regarding "faith without works is dead, works without faith is dead, which is precisely what we believe........ OldJG said that "people struggle with uncertainty about their Salvation---(as they should). As Paul says in Phil 2:12 that we are to "work out our Salvation with trembling and fear"!! NOWHERE does he ever tell us that Salvation is "once saved always saved"!
Have a good weekend KayMarie and God Bless!![

hojo...I do not teach 'once saved, always saved'. I DO believe that, if I remain faithful to Him, I WILL NOT BE LOST. The OSAS teach that one can sin, but still go in the rapture (not so). We can be forgiven and turn from sin, though, and He will cleanse us.

Paul said to 'work out your Salvation with fear and trembling', but that refers to remaining faithful to Him in all that we say and do. We are to 'fight the good fight of faith'.

To understanding...
KayMarie
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
"I don't accept"..."I check out all"..."I read what the apostles said"..."I HEAR what Jesus..." and of course YOU decide if it agrees with the word or not. You've just made yourself infallible and more powerful than any pope in history.
Tell us Kay why you think you can sit down with a bible and decide one verse means something, but a man who was taught by the apostles had the wrong opinion when he read the same verse?
I can sit down with a Bible, and ask the Holy Spirit to help me understand what I read...and He does. I can do that, because I gave myself to Him when He invited me to do so.
"The natural (carnal) man does not receive the things of the Spirit, nor can he, for they are spiritually discerned."
Of course there are different opinions...in the CC as well as in Protestant churches. This occurs because many do not know HIM. They will do better as they learn the Word.
As there is a spiritual battle (between good and evil), there are those who are demonically influenced, and they work to confuse. There ARE different opinions...some just don't know the truth, but some work to oppose the truth.
KayMarie
"I can sit down with a bible"..."what I read...and He does"..."I can do that, because..." ...."some don't know the truth" BUT I DO!

Your problem which you refuse to address is the fact that many others do the exact same thing you do, make the same Holy Spirit claim you do, say they gave themselves to Him, etc. There is absolutely no way for you to refute their claim.

The only reliable solution is to recognize what the Church fathers said when confronted with people who try to use scripture against the Church:

"But beyond these [Scriptural] sayings, let us look at the very tradition, teaching and faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning, which the Lord gave, the Apostles preached, and the Fathers kept." Athanasius, Four Letters to Serapion of Thmuis, 1:28 (A.D. 360).

"For those are slothful who, having it in their power to provide themselves with proper proofs for the divine Scriptures from the Scriptures themselves, select only what contributes to their own pleasures. And those have a craving for glory who voluntarily evade, by arguments of a diverse sort, the things delivered by the blessed apostles and teachers, which are wedded to inspired words; opposing the divine tradition by human teachings, in order to establish the heresy." Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, 7:16 (post A.D. 202).

"When heretics show us the canonical Scriptures, in which every Christian believes and trusts, they seem to be saying:'Lo, he is in the inner rooms [the word of truth]'(Matt 24.6). But we must not believe them, nor leave the original tradition of the Church, nor believe otherwise than we have been taught by the succession in the Church of God." Origen, Homilies on Matthew, Homily 46, PG 13:1667 (ante A.D. 254).

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

To be honest with my self I had to first admit that I am not a teller of truth, as I don't even know if truth is absolute, or if life is simply an illusion. I am not even able to tell whether early humans were created by some omniscient presence or came whether humans as did other creatures evolved from life in the ocean, or whether there is some other explanation.

I simply don't know. But because I have trust that it will all unfold in its own due time, if I try to be kind, I can no better than my best.

I don't need religious dogmas messing around in my brain. I cleared all the debris, and from that clutter, I am free.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

<quoted text>
If my conclusions are not given from the word of God...you have had the option of taking the word of God an proving me wrong over a period of several years...
To date all you have done is call me a liar..
YOU ARE-- evidently afraid that if you do attempt to prove me in error...
You will have to acknowledge that I have posted the truth...
IF YOU ARE TO LAZY TO PROVE ME WRONG,
THEN BE HONEST AND SAY THAT YOU DON'T KNOW...
BECAUSE IT IS QUITE EVIDENT THAT YOU ARE GROSSLY IGNORANT OF GOD'S
ETERNAL PLAN OF REDEMPTION...
I call you a liar because you are a liar. Your incessant accusations have never been proven. You are completely ignorant of Catholic doctrine, and you do nothing but make accusations which are demonstrably false and are proven to be false on a regular basis. Every time you post a falsehood about Catholic teaching and I or another Catholic respond with a direct quote from the Catechism, you scream that you don't have to acknowledge it. You are a bald-faced liar and a bearer of false witness.
socci

Humansville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
The Vatican stole his history? Is there anything you guys will not touch when it comes to conspiracy crap?
You just stole Saint Patricks history by claiming he was Irish and now Scottish. He was neither.
You know, I just drove by the East Side SDA building (St. Paul, MN) and my heart goes out to those people gathered outside. That cult has got em trapped. You're proof of what that stuff does to someones intellect. No amount of evidence; science, reason, logic, video, anything will get you guys to admit error. You will march forward preaching a conspiracy Christianity and falsely accusing the Catholic Church. Its truly heartbreaking Soc.

The facts are not on your side. The one with no facts is in the 'cult'- You!

Patrick was never Catholic, and according to all the evidence as shown in the film, he observed the 7th-day Sabbath, as did all Nazarene Christians.
socci

Humansville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
I believe that no character named Jesus ever existed,

History record does not agree with your lies. You only lie to yourself.
socci

Humansville, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
I no longer am stuck in the bondage of any religion ... period. I believe I am mortal and such as it is that all of me is here on earth.

Everyone has a religion. Whether Christian or some form of paganism. Your pagan religion is false.

You are just one of many karl marx bots repeating anti 'religion' as you were programmed. The marxist political agenda against religion / culture has no truth; not supported by science or history which support only one religion: the Bible - confirmed repeatedly.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

who="Anthony MN"
"I can sit down with a bible"..."what I read...and He does"..."I can do that, because..." ...."some don't know the truth" BUT I DO!
Your problem which you refuse to address is the fact that many others do the exact same thing you do, make the same Holy Spirit claim you do, say they gave themselves to Him, etc. There is absolutely no way for you to refute their claim.
The only reliable solution is to recognize what the Church fathers said when confronted with people who try to use scripture against the Church:
"But beyond these [Scriptural] sayings, let us look at the very tradition, teaching and faith of the Catholic Church from the beginning, which the Lord gave, the Apostles preached, and the Fathers kept." Athanasius, Four Letters to Serapion of Thmuis, 1:28 (A.D. 360).
"For those are slothful who, having it in their power to provide themselves with proper proofs for the divine Scriptures from the Scriptures themselves, select only what contributes to their own pleasures. And those have a craving for glory who voluntarily evade, by arguments of a diverse sort, the things delivered by the blessed apostles and teachers, which are wedded to inspired words; opposing the divine tradition by human teachings, in order to establish the heresy." Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, 7:16 (post A.D. 202).
"When heretics show us the canonical Scriptures, in which every Christian believes and trusts, they seem to be saying:'Lo, he is in the inner rooms [the word of truth]'(Matt 24.6). But we must not believe them, nor leave the original tradition of the Church, nor believe otherwise than we have been taught by the succession in the Church of God." Origen, Homilies on Matthew, Homily 46, PG 13:1667 (ante A.D. 254).

Many people can claim ownership to a thing, but if one has the title deed, the dispute is ended.

Remember the story of Solomon and the two women/babies? Each claimed that the living baby was her own. Solomon found a way to get to the truth.

Jesus (the Word of God) IS the Truth. Look to Him.

KayMarie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

who="Anthony MN"
I call you a liar because you are a liar. Your incessant accusations have never been proven. You are completely ignorant of Catholic doctrine, and you do nothing but make accusations which are demonstrably false and are proven to be false on a regular basis. Every time you post a falsehood about Catholic teaching and I or another Catholic respond with a direct quote from the Catechism, you scream that you don't have to acknowledge it. You are a bald-faced liar and a bearer of false witness.

I don't believe that you will win any converts with that 'love', will you?

KayMarie
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

<quoted text>
If my conclusions are not given from the word of God...you have had the option of taking the word of God an proving me wrong over a period of several years...
To date all you have done is call me a liar..
YOU ARE-- evidently afraid that if you do attempt to prove me in error...
You will have to acknowledge that I have posted the truth...
IF YOU ARE TO LAZY TO PROVE ME WRONG,
THEN BE HONEST AND SAY THAT YOU DON'T KNOW...
BECAUSE IT IS QUITE EVIDENT THAT YOU ARE GROSSLY IGNORANT OF GOD'S
ETERNAL PLAN OF REDEMPTION...
Yep
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

who="hojo"
Thanks KayMarie, but I have read it! No matter how many times we, as Catholics, tell you bible only believers, it just seems to go in "one ear and out the other" that the Catholic Church DOES NOT believe or teach in "works only" regarding Salvation...OLDJG conveniently "avoids" the book of James regarding "faith without works is dead, works without faith is dead, which is precisely what we believe........ OldJG said that "people struggle with uncertainty about their Salvation---(as they should). As Paul says in Phil 2:12 that we are to "work out our Salvation with trembling and fear"!! NOWHERE does he ever tell us that Salvation is "once saved always saved"!
Have a good weekend KayMarie and God Bless!![
hojo...I do not teach 'once saved, always saved'. I DO believe that, if I remain faithful to Him, I WILL NOT BE LOST. The OSAS teach that one can sin, but still go in the rapture (not so). We can be forgiven and turn from sin, though, and He will cleanse us.
Paul said to 'work out your Salvation with fear and trembling', but that refers to remaining faithful to Him in all that we say and do. We are to 'fight the good fight of faith'.
To understanding...
KayMarie
Never heard a osas say that one can sin, ever.

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, you guys use the telephone game scenario all the time to reject what they wrote. What you don't realize is these writings are no more copies of copies than scripture is. And what does a pope 1400 years later have to do with the writings of the disciples of the apostles anyway Rose? What is your obssession with the Borgias?
St. Clement of Rome's writings exist. He was St. Paul's co-worker in Phillipians and was ordained by St. Peter. St. Ignatius's writings exist. He was taught personally by St. John. St. Irenaeus's writings exist. He was taught by St. Polycarp who was taught by St. John.
It's not a telephone game Rose, these men recorded what they were taught. They told us the meaning of verses that you now change into something else. Do you, like Kay, think these guys were questionable?
It's,nit just the Borgia..it's that whole era entwined with politics,

You have a tree going straight up..But these branches,took a while detour just by becoming entwined with the monarchs..
Thrones..riches..power.

That was NOT the way of the apostles.

Has the CC come back to the original tree..I think Vatican 2 is a huge step connecting with the people ..NOT AS DROPPING OEARLS,FROM ON HIGH.
fungible study..made a,in the vernacular.

And recognizing that the CC is nit the ONLY CHURCH that is a vessel of Christ's,mercy..at least that is what it SAID was a,purpose.

You folks don't even respect that we love Jesus, as much as you do.
And quite,frankly some things that are Saud in these,forums by SOME CATHOLICS. are so far opposite to what the council Sid and John Paul said..it's scary.

What do you guys,call people who reject CHURCH and Papal teachings.

And only my opinion .But that turning back ..away from that branching into politics,..would nit have happened if not for the REFORMERS.

JOHN PAUL'S,apologies,spell it all out ..

And if not fir the,REFORMERS. And the persecution they suffered ..America,would nit have been settled as it was.

Yes you had priests in the Spanish colonies...another thing the,Pope apologized for.their methods.

But except fir Maryland colony. The settlers were born out if the REFORMATION.

who knows what this,country would look like if left to only the CC...

Or when ..And I think that is the main thing.

The growth of this COuntry trusting God as they headed out into the wilderness..building their schools..using bibles as,primers.

I keep trying to get the message across..God used both CATHOKUCS and non Catholics to and Jews,to settle this land with Judeo Christian beliefs..despite what the SECULARISTS say .

And despite the tearing apart that is,now going on by the secularists ..we still spread GODS,word throughout the world and comfort wiTH our
Our various,charities.

And if we had nit become the great country we Were..after the War..we wouldn't nit have been allies to help Israel.

He blesses those who bless the Jews..curses those who curse them

We had best NIT forget that as a,nAtion.

But the pint is GOD DID USE US.. IN HIS TIME..to build us up.

In a nAtion free to worship.

If not for that yearningv..if only the CATHOLUC monarchs had allowed settlement ..we wouldn't never have written freedom of worship into our laws..

You really think GOD made a mistake in that ..allowing the bibles ..the printing press..the Reformers.

I MIST certainly will never believe..That such a huge undertaking in His,name was nit a work of God.

We're all these people on the right branches ..if course nit..But enough to get the work done ..

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

NO ENTRENCHED political organization including the CC of the MIDDLE AGES

Will ever change the status quo with out outside forces,forcing CHANGE ...

ITS,TOO EASY to sit on your laurels

And the CC DID make changes in RESPONSE to the Reformation..

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

who="marge"

It's probably like every other group; some believe it, some don't.
Some do teach that.

KayMarie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
I or another Catholic respond with a direct quote from the Catechism, you scream that you don't have

WHY SHOULD I WANT TO READ AN UNINSPIRED CATECHISM...

IT'S NOT GOD'S INSPIRED WORD....

THE CHALLENGE STILL STANDS ...CALLING ME A LIAR OUT OF YOUR FRUSTRATION, DOES NOTHING BUT PROVE YOUR IGNORANCE...

Take the Bible (GOD'S INSPIRED WORD) and give scripture GIVE BOOK CHAPTER AND VERSE as I have .. prove me wrong...

GIVE A REASON THAT I AM IN ERROR...

IF YOU CANT YOUR POST ARE FRUITLESS/WORTHLESS TO ME .

1Pe_3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
you said, "Luther was given insight from God Himself"
I am sure glad i didn't say that.
Here is the reality: None of you born again evangelical members have anything in common with Luther. He simply gave you the two false doctrines of Sola fide and Sola Scripture. From there, your Christianity has been in an ever revolving tail spin. Each generation interpreting the Bible themselves. Its a chaotic embarrassing doctrinal mess!
God loves you guys. He's still trying to pull you towards the truth every time you pray.
I'm amazed at the amount of forced ignorance it takes to embrace your theology. I can't understand why anyone still clings to this after you been shown how you were led on the false path. This tells me some other Spirit is holding you down; not letting you up. That's no surprise when you look at the mannerisms of the 3 self proclaimed pastors on here ...
Speaking of ignorance...

Why is not Christ sending anyone to purgatory??

A. He forget there is a purgatory?
B. No one ever told Him there is a purgatory?
C. There is not purgatory to send any one to?

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats. And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Purgatory is your ace in the hole...well, guess what...it ain't in the hole!!!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>your talking filthy has nothing to do with doctrine, it has to do with your black heart.
There is no filth in his mouth...there is no filth in his words....the filth is in the acts people, by their choice, choose to do...which, evidently, you approve of!!!!!!

Had he used the same graphic language in telling about a hetero male and a hetero female making love, as God intends, nothing would have been said about filth....because it is not filth..it has God's approval....period...

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Marge

I have heard those preaching Eternal Security.

They do admit Christians sin ...

We are not perfect but forgiven ..IF WE REPENT those sins.
marge

Ames, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2013

Judged:

who="marge"
It's probably like every other group; some believe it, some don't.
Some do teach that.
KayMarie
Do you know who teaches that?

or are we talking about the catholics again?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 447,941 - 447,960 of513,308
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Pope Benedict XVI Forum right now

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Pope stirs Communion debate with call to woman 13 hr Sherlayne 1
Pope John XXIII launched Vatican II and then some 22 hr Gods R Delusions x Mine 1
Why the Pope Doesn't Care What We Think About t... (Apr '12) Wed Sherlayne 42
Cuban government makes Good Friday official hol... Tue open mind 7
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Apr 21 Married in 7,650
Easter No. 3 for a Prisoner of Castro Apr 21 Knight Templar 1
Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter Apr 20 DR WILLAMS 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••