Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603478 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464225 Jul 21, 2013
You don't have to look far for words written by Catholic theologians that insinuate Jesus and his flock were leaders of the Catholic religion.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Saints

St. Peter

At the pleas of his Christian followers, the Apostle agreed to flee the city

New Hazelton, Canada

#464226 Jul 21, 2013
This is what the Catholic theologians WROTE happened to those who were not of the Catholic faith.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

The World Beyond.

Hell, or Limbo, is portrayed in Renaissance painting as a cavelike place, crowed with those who await His coming. When its gates are shown, they are being trampled beneath Christ’s feet.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464227 Jul 21, 2013
crowned

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#464228 Jul 21, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
The Parable of Lazarus and Dives and Longer Mark
(from another thread)
This parable appears only in the gospel attributed to Luke.
While often called the parable of Lazarus and Dives, the rich man, Dives, is never named, though Lazarus is, which ........ his brothers of what awaits them.
Abraham’s response is that, if the rich man’s brothers did not follow the law, they would not change their ways “even if someone rises from the dead.”
Luke does not give us an account of the actual raising of Lazarus, only John does that, but the parallels in the two stories are striking, if a little confusing.
For example, one evangelical writer wonders, given the possible confusion of the parable’s Lazarus with the "real" Lazarus, why Jesus used that name in this parable, especially since this is the only parable in the canonical gospels in which Jesus names anyone. The writer’s conclusion is that the parable must have an element of truth in it.
Well, it doesn't.
But backtrack to Longer Mark, also known as the Secret Gospel of Mark. If Morton Smith indeed found evidence for a longer version of Mark, and I believe he did, Longer Mark had an early version of the well-known Lazarus story in it that now is only contained in John:
Longer Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him,'Son of David, have mercy on me.' But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near, Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightaway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb, they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do, and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan.
The above quote comes from a letter from Clement of Alexandria known as the Mar Saba Clementine Fragment. But more about Clement later.
I have always viewed Luke as a polemic against Longer Mark.
It seems to me likely Luke's author was attempting to work the rich young man’s subplot from Secret Mark (canonical Mark 10, 14, and 16) into a parable imparting much the same teachings as Secret Mark but, perhaps, without some of the sexual connotations the original story contained.
Luke’s author separated Lazarus from his miracle and converted the miracle into the raising of the widow’s son in Nain in the pericope at 7:11-18.
But note the change in an important message that removing or modifying the pieces of Secret Mark from the New Testament gospels sends. The Lazarus parable and the Rich Youth’s story together, without Secret Mark, seem to make wealth a virtual guarantee of damnation and seem to require that the wealthy shed their possessions to enter the kingdom of God.
Yet the full story of the rich young man we get from Secret Mark is not so harsh and seems only to require a change in one’s focus; one simply needs to love God over material things rather than to the exclusion of them.
Enter Clement of Alexandria and "Who is the Rich Man That Shall Be Saved?" Clement, in whose letter Morton Smith ostensibly found evidence for Longer Mark, wrote an essay containing much the same wisdom as Longer Mark.
Odd that, huh?
GROSS GOSSIP.

IMO secret Mark. SHOUKD have remained on the desk of the person who wrote it..along with. some of those other SRCRET gospels..the ones,having unmarried to the Magdalene..
It's gossip.And IMO blasphemous ..tryin to paint Jesus,either way..

New Hazelton, Canada

#464229 Jul 21, 2013
If the damned are being cast down to hell, that means that the god again overrode the supposed free will of the souls. An all powerful god that sends his helpless victims to burn in hell ain't a god that deserves anything but a boot in the ass to the imaginary curb.

Religion is BUNK!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

The Last Judgment

Often other angels hover near Christ, bearing the instruments of His passion. At His right hand, the elect are rising to their reward in Heaven; and at His left hand, the damned are being cast down to Hell.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#464230 Jul 21, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
The Parable of Lazarus and Dives and Longer Mark
(from another thread)
This parable appears only in the gospel attributed to Luke.
While often called the parable of Lazarus and Dives, the rich man, Dives, is never named, though Lazarus is, which ........ his brothers of what awaits them.
Abraham’s response is that, if the rich man’s brothers did not follow the law, they would not change their ways “even if someone rises from the dead.”
Luke does not give us an account of the actual raising of Lazarus, only John does that, but the parallels in the two stories are striking, if a little confusing.
For example, one evangelical writer wonders, given the possible confusion of the parable’s Lazarus with the "real" Lazarus, why Jesus used that name in this parable, especially since this is the only parable in the canonical gospels in which Jesus names anyone. The writer’s conclusion is that the parable must have an element of truth in it.
Well, it doesn't.
But backtrack to Longer Mark, also known as the Secret Gospel of Mark. If Morton Smith indeed found evidence for a longer version of Mark, and I believe he did, Longer Mark had an early version of the well-known Lazarus story in it that now is only contained in John:
Longer Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him,'Son of David, have mercy on me.' But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near, Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightaway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb, they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do, and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan.
The above quote comes from a letter from Clement of Alexandria known as the Mar Saba Clementine perhaps, without some of the sexual connotations the original story contained.
Luke’s author separated Lazarus from his miracle and converted the miracle into the raising of the widow’s son in Nain in the pericope at 7:11-18.
But note the change in an important message that removing or modifying the pieces of Secret Mark from the New Testament gospels sends. The Lazarus parable and the Rich Youth’s story together, without Secret Mark, seem to make wealth a virtual guarantee of damnation and seem to require that the wealthy shed their possessions to enter the kingdom of God.
Yet the full story of the rich young man we get from Secret Mark is not so harsh and seems only to require a change in one’s focus; one simply needs to love God over material things rather than to the exclusion of them.
Enter Clement of Alexandria and "Who is the Rich Man That Shall Be Saved?" Clement, in whose letter Morton Smith ostensibly found evidence for Longer Mark, wrote an essay containing much the same wisdom as Longer Mark.
Odd that, huh?
GROSS GOSSIP.

naked men ..!!!!!""" "&&$$$

IMO secret Mark. Should have remained on the desk of the person who wrote it..along with. some of those other SECRET gospels..the ones,having Him marridd to the Magdalene..

But hey sell it to Dan Brown ..right up his alley

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#464231 Jul 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to stay in your Catholic cult, that is your choice, but I suggest you don't pretend that you are fond of religion as a whole, because THAT would be a blatant lie. You are only fond of protecting your own religion while vilifying the religious beliefs of others.
Boy you really don't read do you!!!!

Still day t you SHOUKD go to that site get ordained as an atheist minister..household be good at it ..seriously

New Hazelton, Canada

#464232 Jul 21, 2013
Christians threaten me with hell for not believing in Christianity ... but they don't want to believe in Buddhist hells, and that religion was taught long before the Christian religion.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.

Naraka (nar a ka). In Hindu mythology and Buddhism, the place of torture for departed evil-doers. It consist of many kinds of hells, hot and cold.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464233 Jul 21, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
GROSS GOSSIP.
To those who don't believe in the myths, they are all based on gossip.

You just idolize your own gossip as truth and vilify other gossip as lies.

It's called "playing favorites" ... and playing favorites to the gossip in your own religious cult ... is not even close to being fair.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464234 Jul 21, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy you really don't read do you!!!!
Still day t you SHOUKD go to that site get ordained as an atheist minister..household be good at it ..seriously
Cranky Catholic ... aren't you???

Catholic theologians were liars ... big time.

Faithful Jews don't leave Judaism ... unless forced by the pens of Catholic theologians.

Were Jesus and his flock of Jews alive today they would tell a totally different story of how they all died being faithful to Judaism.

However, from my perception, all religion is mythological BUNK from the get-go.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464236 Jul 21, 2013
Catholics would be HIGHLY indignant if anyone suggested that a pope CHOSE to leave the Catholic religion to start a Protestant religion.

Yet that is exactly what Catholic theologians suggested occurred in the lives of Jesus, his mother, and all the apostles except Judas. They stated in no uncertain terms that those Jews chose to become unfaithful to Judaism in preference to start the new religion of Catholicism.

If you people don't wake up of your own accord, no one can do it for you. You will keep lying to yourselves and your children in order to believe that Catholics are now the only special ones to a Jewish god.

Ridiculous!
Chess

Columbus, OH

#464237 Jul 21, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
GROSS GOSSIP.
naked men ..!!!!!""" "&&$$$
IMO secret Mark. Should have remained on the desk of the person who wrote it..along with. some of those other SECRET gospels..the ones,having Him marridd to the Magdalene..
But hey sell it to Dan Brown ..right up his alley
Hon, none had him married to the Magdalene, though one gnostic gospel had him kissing her on her [lips?]. Which raises the question, "Which lips?"

New Hazelton, Canada

#464238 Jul 21, 2013
Insane theology

To believe that a Jew's mother became a Catholic saint ... would be as credible as believing a Catholic pope's mother became a Protestant saint.

Picture it, if you will.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464239 Jul 21, 2013
Why people indicate that I am an Atheist minister of religion, is simply their lame claim of insisting that Atheists are in a religion.

I was under the spell of religion before I became an Atheist. Now I don't have faith in ANY religion including my own previously preferred religious theology.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

re·li·gion

Noun

1.The belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods.

http://www.google.ca/#gs_rn=21&gs_ri=psy-...

Chess

Columbus, OH

#464240 Jul 21, 2013
Speaking of Jesus and sex:

The most sexually blunt Gnostic gospel comes to us only through a short quote in a text from Epiphanius, a fourth century orthodox Christian.

According to Epiphanius, a group of Gnostics Christian he identifies as Phibionites possessed a gospel called the Greater Questions of Mary.

Epiphanius is a vitriolic and often unreliable source, so one must approach his quote from this otherwise unknown Gnostic text with some caution.

But if his account is accurate, this gospel depicted Jesus eating his own semen while Mary Magdalene looks on:
Epiphanius wrote:
For in the so-called Greater Questions of Mary – they have forged “Lesser” ones too – they suggest that [Jesus] revealed it to her after taking her aside on the mountain, praying, producing a woman from his side, beginning to have intercourse with her, and then partaking of his emission, if you please, to show that “Thus we must do, that we may live.” And when Mary was alarmed and fell to the ground, he raised her up and said to her,“O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?'“*
Orthodox Christians.

Go figure.

*Ehrman's translation

New Hazelton, Canada

#464241 Jul 21, 2013
Preachers of most all religions are filled with pride!

"Follow the words in my holy book the way 'I' follow them and you are sure to have eternal bliss in a hereafter. But if don't follow my lead, which is parallel to the lead of the one (ones) on high ... bad things will occur for you, as the god (gods) are always on my side ... supporting me and the words I choose from my holy book."

YUCK!

New Hazelton, Canada

#464242 Jul 21, 2013
Chess wrote:
Speaking of Jesus and sex:
The most sexually blunt Gnostic gospel comes to us only through a short quote in a text from Epiphanius, a fourth century orthodox Christian.
According to Epiphanius, a group of Gnostics Christian he identifies as Phibionites possessed a gospel called the Greater Questions of Mary.
Epiphanius is a vitriolic and often unreliable source, so one must approach his quote from this otherwise unknown Gnostic text with some caution.
But if his account is accurate, this gospel depicted Jesus eating his own semen while Mary Magdalene looks on:
<quoted text>
Orthodox Christians.
Go figure.
*Ehrman's translation
Theologians had nothing "better" to do than write silly stuff.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

The church father Epiphanius records that the Borborites[6] and other libertine Gnostic sects[7] consumed semen as the Body of Christ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallus

New Hazelton, Canada

#464243 Jul 21, 2013
More silly stuff written by theologians.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Holy Prepuce

At various points in history, a number of churches in Europe have claimed to possess Jesus' foreskin, sometimes at the same time. Various miraculous powers have been ascribed to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Prepuce
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#464244 Jul 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Religion is BUNK!
Correction: Self-appointed (bible only) preachers and self-interpreting "editorializing religions) are BUNK!

New Hazelton, Canada

#464245 Jul 21, 2013
Insane theology

Had mother Mary obeyed the Israelite law, she would not in any lifetime have willingly become a Catholic saint. She would forever be faithful to Judaism.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

From the book Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Purification

Mary, the mother of Christ , being of the Israelite faith, obeyed the law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope eases church rule on abortion forgiveness 1 hr Redeemed 15
News Pope: Priests in Holy Year can absolve - sin of... 6 hr Redeemed 3
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 12 hr Mr_SKY 84,422
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Mon 3Way4me 9,681
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory Aug 30 Paul Porter1 421
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 26 Belle Sexton 3
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 25 Abrahamanic Relig... 1
More from around the web