Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 567,678
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#464209 Jul 21, 2013
That Aussie kid 123456789 wrote:
What ever you say every church is equal
okie dokie...lol

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

Since: Aug 08

New Year

#464210 Jul 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So my religion is that I don't believe a creator exists???
That's quite the religion.
Let's you and I have a fight over who is loved most by the creator that doesn't exist.
:)
You Can Be Minister June..
http://firstchurchofatheism.com/

Have your very own church even

How about that

Or are you already ..is that what you are doing here?? Looking fir converts,to your church.

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

New Year

#464211 Jul 21, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>No....please tell me...
LOL

GM Sera

Here is a church
http://moriel.org/MorielArchive/index.php/dis...

And from another thread we had a visit from this,Church

http://www.fourwinds10.net/siterun_static/gen...

Seems like lots,of them out there including Tony,s
Shepherds Chapel

As,prophesied

Since: Sep 09

New Hazelton, Canada

#464212 Jul 21, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
well we Know, maybe your on the wrong thread.
You know what you have been indoctrinated to believe. That's ALL you know.

Every person in religion knows what they believe.

Claiming to know truth is a religious habit.

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

New Year

#464214 Jul 21, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what you have been indoctrinated to believe. That's ALL you know.
Every person in religion knows what they believe.
Claiming to know truth is a religious habit.

Celebrating your ordination

Then you can preach anywhere including at this church

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/22/chur...

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#464215 Jul 21, 2013
The Parable of Lazarus and Dives and Longer Mark
(from another thread)

This parable appears only in the gospel attributed to Luke.

While often called the parable of Lazarus and Dives, the rich man, Dives, is never named, though Lazarus is, which is unusual in itself, since it is the only parable in the NT to name anyone.

In Luke’s parable, a beggar named Lazarus is rewarded in the afterlife while a rich man he knew in this life finds himself in torment.

The rich man asks Abraham whether Lazarus can return to Earth to warn his brothers of what awaits them.

Abraham’s response is that, if the rich man’s brothers did not follow the law, they would not change their ways “even if someone rises from the dead.”

Luke does not give us an account of the actual raising of Lazarus, only John does that, but the parallels in the two stories are striking, if a little confusing.

For example, one evangelical writer wonders, given the possible confusion of the parable’s Lazarus with the "real" Lazarus, why Jesus used that name in this parable, especially since this is the only parable in the canonical gospels in which Jesus names anyone. The writer’s conclusion is that the parable must have an element of truth in it.

Well, it doesn't.

But backtrack to Longer Mark, also known as the Secret Gospel of Mark. If Morton Smith indeed found evidence for a longer version of Mark, and I believe he did, Longer Mark had an early version of the well-known Lazarus story in it that now is only contained in John:

Longer Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him,'Son of David, have mercy on me.' But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near, Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightaway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb, they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do, and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan.

The above quote comes from a letter from Clement of Alexandria known as the Mar Saba Clementine Fragment. But more about Clement later.

I have always viewed Luke as a polemic against Longer Mark.

It seems to me likely Luke's author was attempting to work the rich young man’s subplot from Secret Mark (canonical Mark 10, 14, and 16) into a parable imparting much the same teachings as Secret Mark but, perhaps, without some of the sexual connotations the original story contained.

Luke’s author separated Lazarus from his miracle and converted the miracle into the raising of the widow’s son in Nain in the pericope at 7:11-18.

But note the change in an important message that removing or modifying the pieces of Secret Mark from the New Testament gospels sends. The Lazarus parable and the Rich Youth’s story together, without Secret Mark, seem to make wealth a virtual guarantee of damnation and seem to require that the wealthy shed their possessions to enter the kingdom of God.

Yet the full story of the rich young man we get from Secret Mark is not so harsh and seems only to require a change in one’s focus; one simply needs to love God over material things rather than to the exclusion of them.

Enter Clement of Alexandria and "Who is the Rich Man That Shall Be Saved?" Clement, in whose letter Morton Smith ostensibly found evidence for Longer Mark, wrote an essay containing much the same wisdom as Longer Mark.

Odd that, huh?

New Hazelton, Canada

#464216 Jul 21, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. I know. So did I quite some time back. I researched all the world areas, and it seems they were all doing just fine in their histories with no break because of a "great flood" at the time. The Noah flood story is just that-a story...and an ignorant one at that.
What do you make of this data?
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

From the book “Weather Lore,” Reader’s Digest, Published 2007, comes the following…

Floods

Almost 5000 years ago, some scientists believe, a large asteroid or comet crashed into the Indian Ocean, producing a tsunami about 13 times as big as the one that inundated Southeast Asia in December 2004. That almost every culture throughout history has had a flood myth, of which Noah and the Ark is the most famous in the Western world, demonstrates the fear and awe that floods inspire in human consciousness.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464217 Jul 21, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Celebrating your ordination
Then you can preach anywhere including at this church
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/06/22/chur...
I don't join up with groups. Some Atheists are as radical as so many are in their preferential religions.

I prefer to make my own choices of what to believe. I did that when I was in religion, and I do the same now that I am not in religion.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464218 Jul 21, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
You Can Be Minister June..
Have your very own church even
How about that
Or are you already ..is that what you are doing here?? Looking fir converts,to your church.
If you want to stay in your Catholic cult, that is your choice, but I suggest you don't pretend that you are fond of religion as a whole, because THAT would be a blatant lie. You are only fond of protecting your own religion while vilifying the religious beliefs of others.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464219 Jul 21, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>God giveth and God taketh....
That must mean that this god interferes and overrides the will of humans, leaving them NO free will whatsoever.

For instance, when a baby dies of crib death, it's because the god didn't care that the will of the parents to have their baby keep on living was at all important. The god tooketh away the soul of the baby and left the parents with broken hearts. He overrode their human wills with his own superior will.

Ridiculous beliefs!
Human Being

Iowa, LA

#464220 Jul 21, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
No, my friend Orthodox myth # 3 is a straw man, created to explain away why the Byzantines backed out of Lyon II and Ferrara-Florence -- both cases in which ALL the Eastern Patriarchs approved of Western orthodoxy.
This idea that "oh, well, the people must approve of it" is IMPERIAL in nature, not Spiritual or Ecclesiastical at all.
FOR GOODNESS SAKE, WHAT DID THE AVERAGE GREEK KNOW ABOUT THE THEOLOGY OF FILIOQUE?!
==========
RESPONSE
Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware Excerpts
In Byzantium there were many educated laymen who took an active interest in theology. The "lay theologian" has always been an accepted figure in Orthodoxy: some of the most learned Byzantine Patriarchs — Photius, for example — were laymen before their appointment to the Patriarchate.
But in the west the only effective education which survived through the Dark Ages was provided by the Church for its clergy.
Theology became the preserve of the priests, since most of the laity could not even read, much less comprehend the technicalities of theological discussion.
Orthodoxy, while assigning to the episcopate a special teaching office, has never known this sharp division between clergy and laity which arose in the western Middle Ages.
Religion entered into every aspect of Byzantine life.
The Byzantine’s holidays were religious festivals; the races which he attended in the Circus began with the singing of hymns; his trade contracts invoked the Trinity and were marked with the sign of the Cross.
Today, in an untheological age, it is all but impossible to realize how burning an interest was felt in religious questions by every part of society, by laity as well as clergy, by the poor and uneducated as well as the Court and the scholars.
Gregory of Nyssa describes the unending theological arguments in Constantinople at the time of the second General Council:
The whole city is full of it, the squares, the market places, the cross-roads, the alleyways; old-clothes men, money changers, food sellers: they are all busy arguing.
If you ask someone to give you change, he philosophizes about the Begotten and the Unbegotten; if you inquire about the price of a loaf, you are told by way of reply that the Father is greater and the Son inferior; if you ask "Is my bath ready?" the attendant answers that the Son was made out of nothing (On the Deity of the Son [P.G. xlvi, 557b]).
Herme:

I consider Gregory of Nyssa my patron saint. I find his teachings extraordinary and soothing....

New Hazelton, Canada

#464221 Jul 21, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I have heard of this story, and it's probably correct, what he saw an interpreted as a god was alien ship/s would love too see this happen today, people would panick, and should we? or be receptive?
It's quite possible that alien ships only existed in imaginations as did the supposed countless gods and goddesses.

Humans claim to have seen Jesus in toast and on a pizza and on a tree and here there and everywhere.

There is a saying that idle hands are the work of the devil. Well I don't believe in either a devil that serves Christians, or one that serves Muslims, or any other group of myth-makers. However I do believe that over-active imaginations has caused horrific problems among humans ... that of which non-human animals don't suffer.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464222 Jul 21, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Herme:
I consider Gregory of Nyssa my patron saint. I find his teachings extraordinary and soothing....
Can't ya just picture your self in heaven as a saint being pampered forever more by Jesus the Jew ... while others who are dirt under god's invisible feet will spend eternity in hell with the devil that lives to punish Christian offenders.

How flattering to your ego!!!

New Hazelton, Canada

#464223 Jul 21, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>You are aware that Judas repented and was saved right?
Within the myth-making theology Judas would have been the only one that stayed faithful to Judaism.

Jesus and his other apostles and his mother Mary (who later became a Catholic saint) all flocked off in spirit to support the new religion that was to become known as Christianity.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464224 Jul 21, 2013
You might find the following of interest. It's from the book The Expected One by Kathleen McGowan. Although it's a novel ... I took the following from a page in the book that was not included in the novel.

This gives a different slant on HOW the ex-Jew-Catholics manipulated the myths to serve their own agendas.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

All these years later and it is no easier to write of Judas Iscariot than it was in the dark days. Not because I hold any judgment against him, but rather because I do not.

I will tell the story of Judas and hope to do so with justice. He was a man uncompromising in his principles, and those who follow us must know this: he did not betray those—or us—for a bag of silver. The truth is that Judas was the most loyal of the twelve. I have had so many reasons for grief years past, and yet I think there is but One whom I mourn more than Judas.

There are many who would have me write harshly of Judas—to condemn him as a betrayer, as a traitor, as one who was blind to the truth. But I can write none of those things for they would be lies before my pen touched the page. Enough lies will be written about our time, God has shown me that. I will not write more.

For what is my purpose, if not to tell the whole truth of what occurred then?

The Arques Gospel of Mary Magdalene,
The Book of disciples.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464225 Jul 21, 2013
You don't have to look far for words written by Catholic theologians that insinuate Jesus and his flock were leaders of the Catholic religion.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Saints

St. Peter

At the pleas of his Christian followers, the Apostle agreed to flee the city

New Hazelton, Canada

#464226 Jul 21, 2013
This is what the Catholic theologians WROTE happened to those who were not of the Catholic faith.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

The World Beyond.

Hell, or Limbo, is portrayed in Renaissance painting as a cavelike place, crowed with those who await His coming. When its gates are shown, they are being trampled beneath Christ’s feet.

New Hazelton, Canada

#464227 Jul 21, 2013
crowned

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

New Year

#464228 Jul 21, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
The Parable of Lazarus and Dives and Longer Mark
(from another thread)
This parable appears only in the gospel attributed to Luke.
While often called the parable of Lazarus and Dives, the rich man, Dives, is never named, though Lazarus is, which ........ his brothers of what awaits them.
Abraham’s response is that, if the rich man’s brothers did not follow the law, they would not change their ways “even if someone rises from the dead.”
Luke does not give us an account of the actual raising of Lazarus, only John does that, but the parallels in the two stories are striking, if a little confusing.
For example, one evangelical writer wonders, given the possible confusion of the parable’s Lazarus with the "real" Lazarus, why Jesus used that name in this parable, especially since this is the only parable in the canonical gospels in which Jesus names anyone. The writer’s conclusion is that the parable must have an element of truth in it.
Well, it doesn't.
But backtrack to Longer Mark, also known as the Secret Gospel of Mark. If Morton Smith indeed found evidence for a longer version of Mark, and I believe he did, Longer Mark had an early version of the well-known Lazarus story in it that now is only contained in John:
Longer Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him,'Son of David, have mercy on me.' But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near, Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightaway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb, they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do, and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the Kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan.
The above quote comes from a letter from Clement of Alexandria known as the Mar Saba Clementine Fragment. But more about Clement later.
I have always viewed Luke as a polemic against Longer Mark.
It seems to me likely Luke's author was attempting to work the rich young man’s subplot from Secret Mark (canonical Mark 10, 14, and 16) into a parable imparting much the same teachings as Secret Mark but, perhaps, without some of the sexual connotations the original story contained.
Luke’s author separated Lazarus from his miracle and converted the miracle into the raising of the widow’s son in Nain in the pericope at 7:11-18.
But note the change in an important message that removing or modifying the pieces of Secret Mark from the New Testament gospels sends. The Lazarus parable and the Rich Youth’s story together, without Secret Mark, seem to make wealth a virtual guarantee of damnation and seem to require that the wealthy shed their possessions to enter the kingdom of God.
Yet the full story of the rich young man we get from Secret Mark is not so harsh and seems only to require a change in one’s focus; one simply needs to love God over material things rather than to the exclusion of them.
Enter Clement of Alexandria and "Who is the Rich Man That Shall Be Saved?" Clement, in whose letter Morton Smith ostensibly found evidence for Longer Mark, wrote an essay containing much the same wisdom as Longer Mark.
Odd that, huh?
GROSS GOSSIP.

IMO secret Mark. SHOUKD have remained on the desk of the person who wrote it..along with. some of those other SRCRET gospels..the ones,having unmarried to the Magdalene..
It's gossip.And IMO blasphemous ..tryin to paint Jesus,either way..

New Hazelton, Canada

#464229 Jul 21, 2013
If the damned are being cast down to hell, that means that the god again overrode the supposed free will of the souls. An all powerful god that sends his helpless victims to burn in hell ain't a god that deserves anything but a boot in the ass to the imaginary curb.

Religion is BUNK!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

The Last Judgment

Often other angels hover near Christ, bearing the instruments of His passion. At His right hand, the elect are rising to their reward in Heaven; and at His left hand, the damned are being cast down to Hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr im free 8,875
Pope's visit to stoke climate fight 20 hr SpaceBlues 1
Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Jan 21 theidiotsareunited 3
More Jan 20 George 3
Filipino Catholics hails new saints (Apr '14) Jan 20 KidlatNgayon 80
Pope: Don't Breed Like Rabbits. Or Use Birth Co... Jan 20 Weird or What 1
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Jan 19 MS_Singapore 42
More from around the web