Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683488 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#464111 Jul 20, 2013
Hello Catlicks.....Are you really sure you are drinking blood at mass??? These guys certainly are not....any idea why the difference????

Chaplain Keppy
12-15-2010, 09:33 AM
Actually, if we want to talk about issues relating to driving after having communion wine, the issue isn't with worshippers who have only a sip, or even less than that if they dip the host into the cup.

The issue relates to the priest.

In some churches, we use real wine-- and communion wine is a fortified wine (it has a higher-than-usual alcohol content). That is meant to protect people because we use a common cup.

After all the worshippers have received communion, the priest consumes whatever wine is left in the chalice. You may be able to estimate what you need pretty well on a typical Sunday, but there are sometimes when you can be WAY off, and left with a lot of wine-- for example, if you are doing a wedding or funeral, and have no way to guess how many of those present will want to receive communion. The wine can and is reserved for use at hospitals/sick beds, if it hasn't been poured into a chalice yet, but once it has gone into the chalice it would be difficult to pour it back into a cruet without spilling.

At my church, I don't have to drink it all myself-- I get the chalice-bearers and assisting clergy to help. But I have had services where I was pretty much on my own, or had a chalice-bearer who for some reason was not able to help. If you have to down half a chalice of fortified wine, you DO want to stick around for Coffee Hour before getting behind your wheel.

PS to Stormz-- If you think the communion wine tastes like slop, try putting away a whole chalice of it!

Location hidden

#464112 Jul 20, 2013
Catlicks: Why is this guy worried about drinking wine at Mass???!!!!

Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com > Public Forums > Ask a Cop > Communion then driving?
PDA

Communion then driving?

PirateScoobs
12-13-2010, 06:43 PM
This may sound stupid, but I would like to know. On Sunday's I partake in communion at my church, and as you know you drink alcoholic wine. I drive myself to and from church. I am also underage(17). If I were to be pulled over and the officer smelt alcohol on my breath and I was to take a breathalyzer would anything come up since it is such a minute amount of wine? Legally, what could happen? DUI? Minor consumption?

Location hidden

#464113 Jul 20, 2013
Whadda abouit Clay?????

Aunt refused to answer my question regards the following because he can see the truth it will reveal...how about it...will you also turn tail and run???

Drinking and Praying: Proposal Could Tip Irish Priests Over Legal Limit

Both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland want to lower the legal blood alcohol level for drivers. Priests are afraid it might affect their ability to motor around after Mass.

Bad Blood: Priests in Ireland are concerned that lowering the legal drinking level for drivers might leave them stranded after Mass.

The job description for a Catholic priest doesn't include a lot of perks -- perhaps one reason that their numbers are shrinking rapidly across the Western world. In Ireland, though, the gig might be further complicated by a new proposal to lower the legal blood alcohol limit for drivers. Priests there are speaking out against the proposal because it could render them legally drunk after performing Mass.

Clay why is it that you are drinking the blood of Christ....and the priests in Ireland are not....rather they are drinking wine that could get them arrested for DUI???!!!!!

Location hidden

#464114 Jul 20, 2013
This is a lie:

Adam’s sin is transmitted to his posterity, not by imitation, but by descent.

Here is what God said:
And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life: And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

God said not one word about Adam's posterity...not one.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#464115 Jul 20, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey RoSesz,
The Word teaches eternal security, i was wondering what group teaches it's ok to sin?
And I never heard of anyone teaching that Christians don't sin, is that another group?
I read the comment to mean that saved people do not sin according to those who believe in Eternal Security.

I never heard anything like that ..

Saved people DO SIN ..But NO one says it's OK to sin it's not.

But if a person could be lost IF they sin..Jesus w work was incomplete.

IF WE SIN ..We have the same blood to wash us CLEAN. Don't we???

According to Romans 8 NOTHING can separate US from the love of our Saviuir .

That does not give us free reign to g o against God hopefully we will listen to the SPIRIT within us and repent ....

As the Shepherd with His flock..He wants none to be lost .

If we are given to Him by the Father. We become His ...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#464116 Jul 20, 2013
No, my friend Orthodox myth # 3 is a straw man, created to explain away why the Byzantines backed out of Lyon II and Ferrara-Florence -- both cases in which ALL the Eastern Patriarchs approved of Western orthodoxy.

This idea that "oh, well, the people must approve of it" is IMPERIAL in nature, not Spiritual or Ecclesiastical at all.

FOR GOODNESS SAKE, WHAT DID THE AVERAGE GREEK KNOW ABOUT THE THEOLOGY OF FILIOQUE?!

==========
RESPONSE

Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware Excerpts

In Byzantium there were many educated laymen who took an active interest in theology. The "lay theologian" has always been an accepted figure in Orthodoxy: some of the most learned Byzantine Patriarchs — Photius, for example — were laymen before their appointment to the Patriarchate.

But in the west the only effective education which survived through the Dark Ages was provided by the Church for its clergy.

Theology became the preserve of the priests, since most of the laity could not even read, much less comprehend the technicalities of theological discussion.

Orthodoxy, while assigning to the episcopate a special teaching office, has never known this sharp division between clergy and laity which arose in the western Middle Ages.

Religion entered into every aspect of Byzantine life.

The Byzantine’s holidays were religious festivals; the races which he attended in the Circus began with the singing of hymns; his trade contracts invoked the Trinity and were marked with the sign of the Cross.

Today, in an untheological age, it is all but impossible to realize how burning an interest was felt in religious questions by every part of society, by laity as well as clergy, by the poor and uneducated as well as the Court and the scholars.

Gregory of Nyssa describes the unending theological arguments in Constantinople at the time of the second General Council:

The whole city is full of it, the squares, the market places, the cross-roads, the alleyways; old-clothes men, money changers, food sellers: they are all busy arguing.

If you ask someone to give you change, he philosophizes about the Begotten and the Unbegotten; if you inquire about the price of a loaf, you are told by way of reply that the Father is greater and the Son inferior; if you ask "Is my bath ready?" the attendant answers that the Son was made out of nothing (On the Deity of the Son [P.G. xlvi, 557b]).

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#464117 Jul 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="RoSesz"
I honestly cannot say that..I WAS do not say we cannot sin
They say JESUS died for all sin ..whenever we commit it.
No one could be perfect even after salvation..
They cannot do it..it's impossible.
Salvation makes no one perfect ..in fact we be one targets fir the Evil one..And some saved persons are weak ..for reasons other than outside reasons..
But that blood is still there ..to wash us CLEAN.
I just have never heard that saved people do not sin ..
We are His..he is themSelves who will come for those THE FATHER has given Him.
My favorite part of the bible is
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Nothing can separate US from God's love.
My personal belief is that "Nothing can separate us from God's love." I was responding to someone's post who inferred that all of us teach OSAS.
However, I believe that if one willfully follows a lifestyle of sin, he/she IS NOT believing in Jesus. Jesus said, "Whosoever believes in Me...SHALL BE SAVED."
KayMarie
I think we,ate saying the same thing.
Even ETERNAL SECURITY preachers,will never say we,are,allowed it it's,OK to sin.

If a saved person sins we are still to REPENT..IF we,are on the Wrong rroad we MUST turn back..

If we,are saved the SPIRIT will call us back. Won't it

Can we ignore that call and harden our hearts..I'm sure some have.

But I think it would be the hardest thing in the world a person could do to. Say NO ..when your conscience prices you..

NO to the Saviuir who died for you ..NO to the Father who waits,and watches the road for your return..And NO to the Holy Spirit. Inside you
If nothing can separate US from the Father once we accept HIM .

IS anyone able to keep on saying NO..
marge

Leesburg, GA

#464118 Jul 20, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I read the comment to mean that saved people do not sin according to those who believe in Eternal Security.
I never heard anything like that ..
Saved people DO SIN ..But NO one says it's OK to sin it's not.
But if a person could be lost IF they sin..Jesus w work was incomplete.
IF WE SIN ..We have the same blood to wash us CLEAN. Don't we???
According to Romans 8 NOTHING can separate US from the love of our Saviuir .
That does not give us free reign to g o against God hopefully we will listen to the SPIRIT within us and repent ....
As the Shepherd with His flock..He wants none to be lost .
If we are given to Him by the Father. We become His ...
Yes agree and I don't believe we have any choice but to listen and change, I know personally I suffer and am miserable if I don't, Ltm would tell you the same.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#464119 Jul 20, 2013
who="hojo"
Thanks KayMarie, but I have read it! No matter how many times we, as Catholics, tell you bible only believers, it just seems to go in "one ear and out the other" that the Catholic Church DOES NOT believe or teach in "works only" regarding Salvation...OLDJG conveniently "avoids" the book of James regarding "faith without works is dead, works without faith is dead, which is precisely what we believe........ OldJG said that "people struggle with uncertainty about their Salvation---(as they should). As Paul says in Phil 2:12 that we are to "work out our Salvation with trembling and fear"!! NOWHERE does he ever tell us that Salvation is "once saved always saved"!
Have a good weekend KayMarie and God Bless!![
hojo...I do not teach 'once saved, always saved'. I DO believe that, if I remain faithful to Him, I WILL NOT BE LOST. The OSAS teach that one can sin, but still go in the rapture (not so). We can be forgiven and turn from sin, though, and He will cleanse us.
Paul said to 'work out your Salvation with fear and trembling', but that refers to remaining faithful to Him in all that we say and do. We are to 'fight the good fight of faith'.
To understanding...
KayMarie
Ok now,I'm confused again ..are you saying a Saved person abandons cannot be captured..no one would qualify..

We all sin ..even the saved...But we can repent ..of that sin.

Can we then be raptured??

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#464120 Jul 20, 2013
who="marge"
Do you know who teaches that?
or are we talking about the catholics again?

I think the CC is against OSAS. I'm not sure who teaches it.
I have no doubt that I am secure in Christ...as long as "I" abide in Him.

KayMarie

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#464121 Jul 20, 2013
who="RoSesz"
Ok now,I'm confused again ..are you saying a Saved person abandons cannot be captured..no one would qualify..
We all sin ..even the saved...But we can repent ..of that sin.
Can we then be raptured??

Sorry that I confused you. Yes, we all sin. But we can repent and confess, and He forgives and cleanses us.

KayMarie

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#464122 Jul 20, 2013
Adam wrote:
The jews are the children of the devil.Jesus suffered much by the Jews. Hitler did the right job when he put the jews in the concentrastion camps. The jews and homosexuals are the scum of the earth.
Below here are some verses why the holocaust happened.
Moed Kattan 17a: If a Jew is tempted to do evil he should go to a city where he is not known and do the evil there.
Erubin 21b. Whosoever disobeys the rabbis deserves death and will be punished by being boiled in hot excrement in hell.
Sanhedrin 58b. If a heathen (gentile) hits a Jew, the gentile must be killed.
Sanhedrin 57a . A Jew need not pay a gentile ("Cuthean") the wages owed him for work.
Baba Kamma 37b. "If an ox of an Israelite gores an ox of a Canaanite there is no liability; but if an ox of a Canaanite gores an ox of an Israelite...the payment is to be in full."
Baba Mezia 24a . If a Jew finds an object lost by a gentile ("heathen") it does not have to be returned.(Affirmed also in Baba Kamma 113b). Sanhedrin 76a. God will not spare a Jew who "marries his daughter to an old man or takes a wife for his infant son or returns a lost article to a Cuthean..."
Sanhedrin 57a . When a Jew murders a gentile ("Cuthean"), there will be no death penalty. What a Jew steals from a gentile he may keep.
Baba Kamma 37b. The gentiles are outside the protection of the law and God has "exposed their money to Israel."
Baba Kamma 113a. Jews may use lies ("subterfuges") to circumvent a Gentile.
Yebamoth 98a. All gentile children are animals.
Abodah Zarah 36b. Gentile girls are in a state of niddah (filth) from birth.
Abodah Zarah 22a-22b . Gentiles prefer sex with cows
Whatcha Talken bout Ther Wllis!!!!

Location hidden

#464123 Jul 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
No, my friend Orthodox myth # 3 is a straw man, created to explain away why the Byzantines backed out of Lyon II and Ferrara-Florence -- both cases in which ALL the Eastern Patriarchs approved of Western orthodoxy.
This idea that "oh, well, the people must approve of it" is IMPERIAL in nature, not Spiritual or Ecclesiastical at all.
FOR GOODNESS SAKE, WHAT DID THE AVERAGE GREEK KNOW ABOUT THE THEOLOGY OF FILIOQUE?!
==========
RESPONSE
Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware Excerpts
In Byzantium there were many educated laymen who took an active interest in theology. The "lay theologian" has always been an accepted figure in Orthodoxy: some of the most learned Byzantine Patriarchs — Photius, for example — were laymen before their appointment to the Patriarchate.
But in the west the only effective education which survived through the Dark Ages was provided by the Church for its clergy.
Theology became the preserve of the priests, since most of the laity could not even read, much less comprehend the technicalities of theological discussion.
Orthodoxy, while assigning to the episcopate a special teaching office, has never known this sharp division between clergy and laity which arose in the western Middle Ages.
Religion entered into every aspect of Byzantine life.
The Byzantine’s holidays were religious festivals; the races which he attended in the Circus began with the singing of hymns; his trade contracts invoked the Trinity and were marked with the sign of the Cross.
Today, in an untheological age, it is all but impossible to realize how burning an interest was felt in religious questions by every part of society, by laity as well as clergy, by the poor and uneducated as well as the Court and the scholars.
Gregory of Nyssa describes the unending theological arguments in Constantinople at the time of the second General Council:
The whole city is full of it, the squares, the market places, the cross-roads, the alleyways; old-clothes men, money changers, food sellers: they are all busy arguing.
If you ask someone to give you change, he philosophizes about the Begotten and the Unbegotten; if you inquire about the price of a loaf, you are told by way of reply that the Father is greater and the Son inferior; if you ask "Is my bath ready?" the attendant answers that the Son was made out of nothing (On the Deity of the Son [P.G. xlvi, 557b]).
Hey you! where you at!! lol

Location hidden

#464124 Jul 20, 2013
No disrespect. Sense of humor needed for the following post.

This was a description of the Reformation from a Catholic site:

"It's true we had some bad Popes around that time. But it was not really a reform, but an introduction of novel heresy at the hands of what we today would call a bunch of liberal university professors."

Orthodox probably have sites like this too.This kind of insulting disguise is what turns people away from religion.

Location hidden

#464125 Jul 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>Hey you! where you at!! lol
I be looking at you across the room where you sittin on the couch. I be eatin your meatloaf. delicious!!!!

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#464126 Jul 20, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes agree and I don't believe we have any choice but to listen and change, I know personally I suffer and am miserable if I don't, Ltm would tell you the same.
I was,hoping and praying the misery was,because He wouldn't nit give up on me!!!

If as a new,Christian you think ..well thank God I'm saved

The temptations won't bother me..The evil one had no power.

IMO. Think again ..We can be sitting ducks fir subtle temptations

That dint seem like such ..But you get sucked back into the same things you thought you were done with.

And by the time you realize how,far off the path you are ..it's easy to say ..well I'm go back later.

You keep thinking like that. Beware..And be thankful fir the misery that can come on you like a ton of bricks falling on you ..He can break you.

The worst is when you realize that however your circumstances circimstances. have made you rationalize
Sinning. BAD HOME LIFE
I'M POOR ..I'M SICK

WHATEVER your reason or excuse ..You have grievously wounded Our Lord ...wounded your Father.

You feel you can never go back ..it's too Late..I've fallen ..
I've sinned..

If you are very blessed ..someone will tell you as you ate seeking truth again and forgiveness..

You are here seeking ..are you Not??? You are seeking ..if you were nit His you wouldn't not be searching for answers,or forgiveness.

God puts,such wonderful saints in your path when you need them ..some how ..mine was a,pastor I hardly knew ..who took the time for a virtual stranger..Not even the Church I had been taking classes in .

..I am totally convinced GOD sent me to seek there ..long story but the thing is God knew EHAT I needed before I did...And it was assurance ..as in the prodigal. My father was watching for me..And running towards
ME...

WHO am I that He should care

And you realize how vast is,His mercy ..And you get on your knees and pray to be washed from your transgressions .

And reach out for His hand each time you are sad..low ..afraid..angry .

He is there waiting ..

Woe sorry lol God carried away ..And crying ..How can He live ME do much as to Shed His blood for me???
And reach out for me ..certainly not worthy by any thing On my own regard

Location hidden

#464127 Jul 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>I be looking at you across the room where you sittin on the couch. I be eatin your meatloaf. delicious!!!!
Yikes! Its not meatloaf What are you eating? lol

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#464128 Jul 20, 2013
who="marge"
I think the CC is against OSAS. I'm not sure who teaches it.
I have no doubt that I am secure in Christ...as long as "I" abide in Him.
KayMarie
I think this,is the teaching you mean ..:)

Eternity is God's promise, and He wants His children to be confident about spending their future in heaven.

Eternal Security Matters

1 JOHN 5:10-13

From Christ's atonement on the cross springs our assurance of salvation and eternal life. Many people who claim Jesus as Savior know that they are saved but are uncertain about eternal security, the Lord's guarantee that our deliverance from sin is permanent. Such believers worry that their salvation can be lost through wrong actions. Eternity is God's promise, and He wants His children to be confident about spending their future in heaven.

When a person places trust in the Savior, he receives not only forgiveness of sin but also the life of Christ abiding within him: Jesus' eternal nature becomes his. If we base our security on anything other than Christ's finished work on the cross—such as our good works—then we will be prone to doubts about eternity and the wrong assumption that God's favor and heaven must be earned. In truth, eternal security is an extension of the Lord's grace.

When we were unbelievers, the promise of heaven impacted our understanding of divine pardon. In repenting of our sins, we changed our thinking about wrong behavior and acknowledged helplessness before God. In turn, we received forgiveness, and our intimate relationship with Him began at that moment. For believers, repentance makes right our fellowship with the Lord; forgiveness is already ours.

After receiving Jesus Christ into our life, we may still have some doubts or may even rebel and sin against Him. But our salvation is not lost. scripture is clear on this point: "I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish" (John 10:28).

http://www.intouch.org/magazine/content/topic...

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#464129 Jul 20, 2013
who="marge"
Never heard a osas say that one can sin, ever.
It's probably like every other group; some believe it, some don't.
Some do teach that.
KayMarie
there are those who profess that they can and do sin everyday and still are in the ark of safety.

and the Bible is clear that we shall not continue in sin, that Grace may abound.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#464130 Jul 20, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
catholics DONT believe in OSAS< Marge.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The pope praised him for providing for his pare... 16 hr Laredo 3
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Wed Dhimmi Democrat 33
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Married in 10,571
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Jul 16 True Christian wi... 77
News Editorial: The Vatican's Failure in the Abuse S... Jul 13 seemoregood 1
News In Defense of Free Speech in the United States (May '15) Jul 11 Muslim lives don_... 6
News Pope Francis says 2,000 sex abuse cases backlog... Jul 10 Samoht 7
More from around the web