Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 683635 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#462931 Jul 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

The Pope is not infallible.
This would have flagged the article as incorrect and inaccurate.
But you continued to post it.
Hmmmm....why do you think the Pope is infallible?
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Pope is not infallible."
But you are?
Ah yes, the ol' tactic of repeating what the poster said, not supplying a response, but instead diverting and asking another question that has no relevance to the discussion.

I'll state my post to you again, and ask my question again.

Honesty Anthony, that is all I am looking for, and you couldn't even apply it to such a simple question.

*sighs*
socci

Plattsburg, MO

#462932 Jul 17, 2013

Catholics do not believe in a literal Second Coming. According to this Catholic evangelist the Catholic Church teaches Jesus will only rule the world spiritually through their Church - no second Coming, no resurrection.

audio of this Catholic evangelist who explains their position on the Second Coming.

down the page a bit find link to "Catholic eschatology" for the radio program..
http://nicklasarthur.wordpress.com/radio-prog...
direct audio link (MP3)
http://wwfar.com/mp3s/CrossTheBorder/CTB.0306...

Albuquerque, NM

#462933 Jul 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
"Modern men?"
They charge under the premise that they are taking the money to give to the poor, because as we are fully aware "god" doesn't look after the poor.
What a joke.
That is one perception.

Thanks for responding.
Human Being

Chatham, LA

#462934 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Nicely said!! LOL!
If there was an ulterior motive by NG, IMO - it would be related to giving the world what Christianity failed to do, reveal a part of Jesus that was rejected by men.
This is a good thing.
New Age Spiritual Leader:

Sure you can have your opinion.(smiles)

I suspect there were different motives for those involved in investigating the Nag-Hammadi Scriptures, not the least of which was curiosity....
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462935 Jul 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
Purgatory proclaimed a dogma by Council of Florence "If they have died repentant for their sins and having love of God, but have not made satisfaction for things they have done or omitted by fruits worthy of penance, then their souls, after death, are cleansed by the punishment of Purgatory; also ... the suffrages of the faithful still living are efficacious in bringing them relief from such punishment, namely the Sacrifice of the Mass, prayers and almsgiving and other works of piety which, in accordance with the designation of the Church, are customarily offered by the faithful for each other." Council of Florence (1438-1443)
*Notice: faithful still living are efficacious in bringing them relief from such punishment.
-so sinners here can pray for relief of punishment but the sacrifice of Jesus Christ cannot keep a person out of purgatory.
-if this isn't a doctrine from Satan himself, I'll buy you a watch.
You keep saying we don't see Christ's sacrifice as "enough" and call it a doctrine from the pits of hell, but you can't explain to me what "enough" is. Let's try it this way; If Christ's sacrifice covered all sins past, present and future, then why isn't every human being saved the moment they're born?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#462936 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
In John 6 Jesus clearly and unambiguously states we are to eat His body and drink His blood to have eternal life. He clearly and unambiguously states in the Last Supper narratives that the bread is His body, the wine His blood.
The Eucharist is ALSO a spiritual meal, it is not an either/or. Additionally, saying something is spiritual does not mean it's symbolic. Spiritual is not the same as symbolic. Protestants teach that their communion is symbolic.
Then you are not a Christian...You ignore the Word of God..

That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.

Wherefore say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Ye eat with the blood, and lift up your eyes toward your idols, and shed blood: and shall ye possess the land?

Plus your erroneous beliefs show the Word of God to be contradicting...which males the Bible fallible...which al, Christians no that is impossible....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#462937 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to get upset Hermi, I'm just going by what this writer said. The "tradition" I'm referring to is Greek vs. Russian, etc.
I am not upset. I am skeptical of your continuing to try to prove something when I have offered many posts to clarify.Greek v Russian?
the writer? ok Take care.
Human Being

Chatham, LA

#462938 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I'll disagree it is difficult.
'If one dwells in love, one will become what one dwells in. If one dwells in evil [many different types and names], on will become what one dwells in.'
It really all depends upon honesty, Self, and and out change toward others. We all have it within us to ward off 'demons'[faults, misgivings, failures], and one can achieve success, if will power is put to the task. Again we speak of Self and the mind.
- If Dave Nelson is reading this, no thinking by the 'heart' is involved. Boo-YAH!!:o)
One just needs to take responsibility for their actions.
No religion required, and for sure, the RCC can't do a darn thing about it either. But low and behold, they think they can.
OOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOO!!!
*shakes his hands, as if at the "boogeyman"*
:o)
New Age Spiritual Leader:

Osmosis? One becomes the environment in which they dwell?

I am not to sure that this is an "absolute". Most people choose to change the environment for their comfort....

Dave Nelson? Ricky's brother? Ozzie and Harriet?
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462939 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Ah yes, the ol' tactic of repeating what the poster said, not supplying a response, but instead diverting and asking another question that has no relevance to the discussion.
I'll state my post to you again, and ask my question again.
Honesty Anthony, that is all I am looking for, and you couldn't even apply it to such a simple question.
*sighs*
Because I believe Jesus when He commissioned St. Peter. Because I believe Jesus when He founded the Church. Because I believe Jesus when He said He would be with us til the end of the age. Understand these things He said and you will understand why I believe the pope cannot teach error.

Your turn. You say the pope is not infallible. Is that an infallible statement? Or might it be just your opinion?
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462940 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying we don't see Christ's sacrifice as "enough" and call it a doctrine from the pits of hell, but you can't explain to me what "enough" is. Let's try it this way; If Christ's sacrifice covered all sins past, present and future, then why isn't every human being saved the moment they're born?
You're veering off course Tony. We aren't talking about past, present, future of sins...nice try Spin Brother. We are talking about Satan's doctrine of purgatory. thanks

and I guess if catholics thought Christ's sacrifice was enough to cover our sins, then your church would not believe in purgatory now would they.

Location hidden

#462941 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me explain. A Greek Orthodox Church can be located on the same block as a Russian Orthodox Church. My understanding is that the priests and faithful have a Russian Orthodox bishop in charge of things and the Greek have a Greek bishop. Correct me if I'm mistaken.
Anthony please give it up. There is the Orthodox hurh Outside Russia, There is the Russian Orthodox Church (inside Russia) There is the Orthodox Church of America. You have to know which one you are speaking of. Ok I am done. You were my last hold out as far as Catholics I believed were sincere in this forum. You keep going despie what I present you.From now on you get Tipote from me. From you knowledge of Greek Orthodoxy youll know what this means- nothing. Sad
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462942 Jul 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you are not a Christian...You ignore the Word of God..
That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
Wherefore say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Ye eat with the blood, and lift up your eyes toward your idols, and shed blood: and shall ye possess the land?
Plus your erroneous beliefs show the Word of God to be contradicting...which males the Bible fallible...which al, Christians no that is impossible....
The Word of God (Jesus) said the bread is His body, the wine His blood and that we must eat it to have eternal life. The written Word says the same thing. Neither Jesus nor the bible say it is just a symbol.

Now who's really ignoring the bible?

Location hidden

#462944 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you please explain where Metropolitan Philip is lying? I sincerely want to understand.
Sincerely???? LOLOL

Location hidden

#462945 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
"A ruling bishop or diocesan bishop is responsible for and the head of all the parishes located in his a particular geographical territory, called a diocese or archdiocese. All authority of the lower orders of clergy is derived from the bishop. No divine services may be celebrated in any Orthodox building without the authorization of the appropriate bishop. Saint Ignatius the God-bearer of Antioch went so far as to state that "he who acts without the bishop's knowledge is in the devil's service."
This is how the Catholic Church operates as well.
The question I have is related to the ethenically differing Churches and whether a Russian bishop is in charge of a Greek bishop if the Churches are located in the same geograhpic area.
answered 400 times
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462946 Jul 17, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not upset. I am skeptical of your continuing to try to prove something when I have offered many posts to clarify.Greek v Russian?
the writer? ok Take care.
Nick, I know you think you clarified, but I never really got an answer. Does a Greek Orthodox Church have a different bishop than a Russian Orthodox Church if they're on the same city block? Is it possible that an Orthodox priest from one ethnic tradition/bishop could start a new Church under a different ethnic tradition/bishop?

Albuquerque, NM

#462947 Jul 17, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
If there is a purgatory:
Why didn't Jesus, when telling about the rich man in hell (not purgatory), say to him:'Just be patient till someone prays you out of there? You'll have to wait until you are purified.'
KayMarie
If you want to express interest in knowing what Jesus taught, read his teachings. Just don't keep on continuing to question their validity.

"All scripture is God breathed" except for the ones we didn't include in the Bible.
- this would be the first error that has caused problems with how you believe. OOPS!! That is what you get when you beleive men over Jesus.
Clay

Garden City, MI

#462948 Jul 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah Clay..real tough to know what this means. Even a clown like you probably can figure it out:
Isaiah 53 5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed.
this is the same old cycle on this forum. You guys start out attacking Purgatory. Then you move to the Papacy. Then Mary, the Eucharist, etc etc.
You base all your arguments on the fact that the 66 Books of the KJV don't explicitly spell out these above teachings in word for word detail.
So I say, you need to prove where Christ or any of His Apostles installed the KJV as the only source of authority on the Ministry of Jesus Christ. Just show where anyone taught sola scripture before the 16th century! You guys read the Bible in a way that is reckless and irresponsible.
Purgatory is indeed Biblical. All Catholic teachings are Biblical. We're sorry if you crowned yourself an authority and claim that Christianity was started AFTER the Books became the Bible, and Christians ran about interpreting it word for word by themselves.
Christ set up a teaching Magisterium to teach without error. That's how we Christians know what truth is. The word of God- both written and oral- is divinely protected by the authority of the Church. That's how Christ clearly set up His Church.
All arguments need to start with sola scripture.

Location hidden

#462949 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Sera, I'd just like to know if more than one bishop oversees the same territory. According to Metropolitan Philip and this writer they do. You and Nick say that's not so. How is that prideful?
Read Read Read Read You are more then arrogant. Under the guise of being sincere you are implying we are liars.I am not responsible for your reading 1 thing and thinking you are debunking us. have article after article re Orthodox conciliarity. I took the time and read them. You take the time and become educated before you try to debate something.Or go back to your Catechisms and leave me alone, This questioning has gone on to ridiculous lengths. Leave me alone.

Albuquerque, NM

#462950 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:

You will find very few Catholic writers who are in good standing with the Church who will say the things about the hierarchy that this Orthodox said about his hierarchy.
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Are you serious? If they are in "good standing" it is because they agree with the Cath Church. If they disagree with the Cath Church they are "not in good standing".Therefore you will not find writers in "good standing" that disagree with the Church except for trivial issues.Why am I even having this conversation?
...and you are just now realizing how Catholics double-talk and spin their way around their religious beliefs?

It is what they do. Don't you think they enjoy being comforted by the "patting of oneself's back"?
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#462951 Jul 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
So with your new found insight ..how do you think God feels about your Parents keeping Sunday holy ...
They have both passed away now. Dad would have been 98 years old.
He knew the truth about God's Sabbath as he read "Plain Truth" magazine by the Worldwide Church of God.
I talked with him about it but as he had administrational position in the Presbyterian church, he didn't want to change.
I know he will not be condemned for his decision. So many good Christians keep Sunday as the Sabbath.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The pope praised him for providing for his pare... Wed Laredo 3
News Boston cardinal, Jewish leaders have Holocaust ... (Feb '09) Jul 19 Dhimmi Democrat 33
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jul 18 Married in 10,571
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Jul 16 True Christian wi... 77
News Editorial: The Vatican's Failure in the Abuse S... Jul 13 seemoregood 1
News In Defense of Free Speech in the United States (May '15) Jul 11 Muslim lives don_... 6
News Pope Francis says 2,000 sex abuse cases backlog... Jul 10 Samoht 7
More from around the web