Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 637681 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462881 Jul 17, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>see my post re Catholic Priest who did that. The point it would not be a Catholic church. Neither would the ex defrocked Ortho Priest's church be an Ortho Church. An Orthodox priest cannot just start his own Orthodox Church. That is absurd.
He can under a different bishop from a different Orthodox tradition according to the writer.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462882 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>Just like Storm quotes 1 Ortho Bishop? I really dont need to post some comments against the Cath Church by Cath writers.
You will find very few Catholic writers who are in good standing with the Church who will say the things about the heirarchy that this Orthodox said about his heirarchy.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462883 Jul 17, 2013
The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines purgatory as a "purification, so as to achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven,"
-A catholic lie from the pit of Hell.

Hebrews 9:11 But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) 12 he entered once for all into the holy places, not by means of the blood of goats and calves but by means of his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.

**Catholics don't believe Christ's sacrifice and the shedding of His blood at the cross was enough for our for us to enter Heaven.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462884 Jul 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You better hope God views you as a honorary authority to make that call. From what it looks like, you're just reading the Bible in your own mindset.
You're simply snatching the Bible from the Church that installed it. Then you're putting a false label on it; removing the Church; and using the Books to undo the authority of the Church.(that sounds like a coup orchestrated by Satan)
Purgatory is Biblical. If you demand it be spelled out in detail for the average Chuck to comprehend, could you provide book, chapter and verse where Jesus Christ teaches that His Ministry is spelled out in word for word detail and the Books of 5 of His Apostles are the only authority He wishes for Christianity??
lol. Have a pleasant day Chuck. I look forward to your diversion.
Clay...you forgot the 42,000 denominations and I'm no authority on scripture in your post....lol. You're a clown
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462885 Jul 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You better hope God views you as a honorary authority to make that call. From what it looks like, you're just reading the Bible in your own mindset.
Yeah Clay..real tough to know what this means. Even a clown like you probably can figure it out:

Isaiah 53 5 But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#462886 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Dioceses do not cross "lines". One bishop is in charge of each diocese. A priest can't start a new "Catholic" Church in a diocese outside of where his bishop is without the consent from the bishop and the bishop who's diocese he's going to. From what I understand, Orthodox bishops have jurisdictions crossing lines all the time. This would explain a rogue priest being ok'd to start up with another bishop from a different Orthodox Church without knowing about previous abuse problems.
This is plainly not true.An Ortho Bishop cannot intervene in another Bishop's territory.If there is such an issue, it would have to go higher. I have to be honest. I am tired of educating you. Read how in the Ortho Church the local Church is the whole church. Bishops cannot cross lines.And I cannot spend my time here teaching what it took me years to learn.Read.It used to be that the theology said the local Cath bishop got his authority from the Pope.The Cath Church recently changed its theology re the local church. It is not somewhat closer to Orthodoxy.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#462887 Jul 17, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
Because you don't accept the existence of Satan, you think I am ignorant....(lol)(Try not to believe for me. I am doing fine.)
At one time you believed that all religion was bunk ... and now you are back favoring Catholicism, and you think you "are doing fine."

:)
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462888 Jul 17, 2013
Indulgences are offered by the Catholic Church as a way to reduce the amount of time believers spend in purgatory

*Vatican says the prayers of sinners can reduce the amount of time a believer spends in purgatory

*and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ cannot keep a believer from going to purgatory

lol...only in the catholic church

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#462889 Jul 17, 2013
Bishop (Eastern Orthodox Church)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

A Bishop in the Orthodox Christian Church is the highest spiritual office within the Universal Church. Unlike in some other Christian denominations, an Orthodox bishop cannot interfere with other dioceses that are not under his own jurisdiction.

Sanctuary of the Holy Transfiguration Cathedral, Valaam Monastery, Russia: the Antimension is open on the Holy Table (altar) for the bishop's visit; at the rear is the Kathedra (bishop's throne)

Contents
[hide] 1 Episcopal ministry
2 Male monastics only
3 Holy orders
4 Ruling bishop
5 Rankings of bishops 5.1 Patriarchs
5.2 Archbishops and Metropolitans
5.3 Non-ruling bishops
5.4 Patriarchal vicars
5.5 Auxiliary bishops
5.6 Titular bishops
5.7 Special forms

6 Hierarchical vestments
7 Liturgical items

Episcopal ministry[edit]

A bishop is the successor to the Apostles in the service and government of the Church. The bishop thus serves &#949;&#953;&#962; &#964;&#972;&#960; &#959;&#957; &#954;&#945;&#953; &#964;&#973;&#960; &#959;&#957; &#935;&#961;&#953; &#963;&#964;&#959; &#973; (in place and as a type of Christ) in the Church. No bishop in Orthodoxy is considered infallible, even the Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople who is considered to be 'First-among-equals'. None has any authority over or apart from his priests, deacons, and people or the other bishops. A bishop holds the responsibility of maintaining the unity of the Church throughout the world by ensuring the truth and unity of the faith and practice of their diocese. The bishop represent his particular diocese to the other churches or dioceses, and represents the Universal Church to his own particular priests, deacons, and people.

According to Church Law, bishops of an area must meet in councils. When doing so, the metropolitan or patriarch presides administratively..

Male monastics only[edit]

In the Orthodox Church, from about the sixth century, it has been the rule that bishops are single men or widowers. Bishops are also usually in at least the first degree of monastic orders.

Holy orders[edit]

It is the belief of Orthodoxy that Christ is the only priest, pastor, and teacher of the Christian Church. He alone forgives sins and offers communion with God, his Father. Christ alone guides and rules his people. Christ remains with his Church as its living and unique Head. Christ remains present and active in the Church through his Holy Spirit.

Through the sacrament of holy orders bishops bring order to the Church. Bishops guarantee the continuity and unity of the Church from age to age and from place to place, that is, from the time of Christ and the Apostles until the establishment of God's Kingdom in eternity. Bishops receive the gift of the Holy Spirit to manifest Christ in the Holy Spirit to men and women everywhere. Bishops are neither vicars, substitutes, nor representatives of Christ. It is Christ, through his chosen ministers, who acts as teacher, good shepherd, forgiver, and healer. It is Christ remitting sins, and curing the physical, mental, and spiritual ills of humanity. This is a mystery of the Church and although firmly believed, there is reluctance to try to explain it in Orthodoxy.

Ruling bishop[edit]

Prince George, Canada

#462890 Jul 17, 2013
Chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
You just couldn't keep your cake hole shut could you.
Now show me where I have ever said : god will love you and believe you are even more worthy of heaven if you call women who have abortions "murderers".
Well, you refer to women who have abortions as murderers, so you must think that god loves you for that attitude.

If you didn't, you wouldn't HAVE that attitude ... WOULD you?

Location hidden

#462891 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You will find very few Catholic writers who are in good standing with the Church who will say the things about the heirarchy that this Orthodox said about his heirarchy.
Cmon give me a break.
Vatical 2 invited a horde of Catholic theologians whose harsh criticisms against the Cath Church led the Cath Bishops to take the ath hurh even further away from the Original Church.

Location hidden

#462892 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You will find very few Catholic writers who are in good standing with the Church who will say the things about the hierarchy that this Orthodox said about his hierarchy.
Are you serious? If they are in "good standing" it is because they agree with the Cath Church. If they disagree with the Cath Church they are "not in good standing".Therefore you will not find writers in "good standing" that disagree with the Church except for trivial issues.Why am I even having this conversation?

Location hidden

#462893 Jul 17, 2013
physical, mental, and spiritual ills of humanity. This is a mystery of the Church and although firmly believed, there is reluctance to try to explain it in Orthodoxy.

Ruling bishop[edit]

A ruling bishop or diocesan bishop is responsible for and the head of all the parishes located in his a particular geographical territory, called a diocese or archdiocese. All authority of the lower orders of clergy is derived from the bishop. No divine services may be celebrated in any Orthodox building without the authorization of the appropriate bishop. Saint Ignatius the God-bearer of Antioch went so far as to state that "he who acts without the bishop's knowledge is in the devil's service."

A ruling bishop may have the title of Bishop, Archbishop, Metropolitan, Metropolitan Archbishop or Patriarch.

Rankings of bishops[edit]

Sacramentally, all bishops are equal, but there are distinctions of administrative rank.

Patriarchs[edit]

Main Article: Patriarch

The title patriarch is reserved for the primate of certain of the autocephalous Orthodox churches. The first hierarch of the other autocephalous churches are styled metropolitan or archbishop.

The title patriarch was first applied to the original three major sees of Rome, Alexandria, and Antioch, and shortly after extended to include Constantinople and Jerusalem (cf. Pentarchy).

Much later the term was granted to the heads of other most significant churches. Significance for some churches now may be more historical than actual.

Archbishops and Metropolitans[edit]

The title of archbishop or metropolitan may be granted to a senior bishop, usually one who is in charge of a large ecclesiastical jurisdiction. He may, or may not, have provincial oversight of suffragan bishops and may possibly have auxiliary bishops assisting him.

In the Slavonic and Antiochian traditions, a metropolitan outranks an archbishop, whereas the reverse is the situation in the Greek tradition. The Antiochian tradition also uses the style 'metropolitan archbishop' to differentiate from metropolitan bishops in the Greek tradition.

The change in the Greek tradition came about in later Greek history, because the diocesan bishops of ancient sees (which in the Greek diaspora include most) came to be styled metropolitans, short for "metropolitan bishops."

The Slavonic and Antiochian churches continue to follow the older tradition, where an archbishop is a senior bishop in charge of a major see, and a metropolitan is a bishop in charge of a province which may include a number of minor and/or major sees.

In the Greek tradition, all diocesan bishops of autocephalous churches such as the Church of Greece (the Bishop of Patras being Metropolitan) are now metropolitans, and an archbishop holds his title as an indication of greater importance for whatever reason. The Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America is the notable exception as all diocesan bishops carry the title of metropolitan. In other churches under the jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate such as the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Australia the ruling bishop is the archbishop while the other bishops are auxiliary bishops with titles of the ancient sees

Location hidden

#462894 Jul 17, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_ (Eastern_Orthodox_Church)
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#462895 Jul 17, 2013
<quoted text>This is plainly not true.An Ortho Bishop cannot intervene in another Bishop's territory.If there is such an issue, it would have to go higher. I have to be honest. I am tired of educating you. Read how in the Ortho Church the local Church is the whole church. Bishops cannot cross lines.And I cannot spend my time here teaching what it took me years to learn.Read.It used to be that the theology said the local Cath bishop got his authority from the Pope.The Cath Church recently changed its theology re the local church. It is not somewhat closer to Orthodoxy.
Why would there be Greek, Serbian, Russian and Ukranian Orthodox Churches all in the same city? Is one bishop in charge of them all or do they have different bishops?

Prince George, Canada

#462896 Jul 17, 2013
It's common sense that all people in all religions are certain they speak exactly for what the supposed creator believes.

If there is a reward for arrogance, those in religion are certain to be rewarded.

Location hidden

#462897 Jul 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
He can under a different bishop from a different Orthodox tradition according to the writer.
If is a "different tradition",it is not the Orthodox Church tradition.If a Bishop is going to go against the Ortho Church and authorize a defrocked Ortho priest to have a Church isnt it obvious that the Ortho Church would give him the boot as well? I am very close to considering this particular line of dialogue as insincere and not worthy of response.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#462898 Jul 17, 2013
who="Clay "
You're simply snatching the Bible from the Church that installed it. Then you're putting a false label on it; removing the Church; and using the Books to undo the authority of the Church.(that sounds like a coup orchestrated by Satan)
Purgatory is Biblical. If you demand it be spelled out in detail for the average Chuck to comprehend, could you provide book, chapter and verse where Jesus Christ teaches that His Ministry is spelled out in word for word detail and the Books of 5 of His Apostles are the only authority He wishes for Christianity??
lol. Have a pleasant day Chuck. I look forward to your diversion.

If there is a purgatory:

Why didn't Jesus, when telling about the rich man in hell (not purgatory), say to him:'Just be patient till someone prays you out of there? You'll have to wait until you are purified.'

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#462899 Jul 17, 2013
I would like to know what the very first person on taught concerning what the gods believed.

My guess is, it would have been quite the sermon.
Chuck

Dublin, OH

#462900 Jul 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you refer to women who have abortions as murderers, so you must think that god loves you for that attitude.
If you didn't, you wouldn't HAVE that attitude ... WOULD you?
Well, you refer to women who have abortions as murderers - never did...show me or shut your cake hole.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... (Feb '15) 6 hr nanoanomaly 1,965
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 13 hr Mr Sir 10,082
News Biden to see Pope Francis, discuss cancer cures... Apr 29 serfs up 6
News Archbishop of Cologne Blasts Germany's Anti-Isl... Apr 29 Marie-Luise_J 6
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Apr 19 Tough Guy 6
News Pope Rescues 12 Muslims To Demonstrate How Euro... Apr 18 The_Prophet_Had_LICE 5
News Pope's Refugee Airlift Was Last-Minute 'Inspira... Apr 18 Jim 1
More from around the web