Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 692112 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#462730 Jul 16, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="New Age Spiritual Leader"
I didn't say this.
The Bible should be free. Why pay for "God's word", if it truly was "God's word".
Did "God" charge Moses? Throughout history, did "God" charge anyone to receive "His word"?
- no "He" didn't. Only men have.
Let me suggest that YOU print Bibles and build churches for free. NO ??? Suddenly you realize that it costs someone something.
Perhaps you can get General Motors or Toyota to provide you an automobile for free.
KayMarie
I've done my work with charities. Building/construction has not been one of them.

FYI - General Motors or Toyota don't make products that reflect Jesus or "God".

Unless you have a GM or Toyota "Popemobile". Do you?
- As of yet, no American car company has produced a protective car for the Pope.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popemobile

Your argument has failed.

BTW - why are you supporting companies to profit off of Jesus and "God"? Are you one of those companies?

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#462731 Jul 16, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Every bible-reader believes he/she reads those words from the viewpoint of "god."
You are simply as deluded as are the others ... but it makes you feel very powerful to believe that you can preach truth and others that disagree with you are "sadly" misguided. Others commit the same folly from their own points of view of how "god" is guiding them.
And so it goes. It's all based on human arrogance ... "I see "god's" truth ... and when you disagree with ME ... YOU are all liars."
Religion is silly stuff in deed!
So what you're saying is that you'd like for all of us that believes to just hush huh about religion period? Be gone thy spirit of Jezebel.

Albuquerque, NM

#462732 Jul 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
It costs money to publish and print bibles..many Don a 're some to the poor ..overseas..or people buy them to offset the cost of printing and publishing. The book..And sine who but them make them available fir free in Churches or in missions ...
The bible is all over..someone has to pay fir the actual book ...YES.
SO F A R we still live in a buy and sell world ..though it seems fir some reason you think everything should be free.
If no one paid for them...there would be no mire publishing and printing..why don't you get that
I see and understand. You encourage companies to profit off of Jesus and "God".

Most "Christians" are probably with you on this, so I can see how you would promote such deals.

Are you one of those companies?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#462733 Jul 16, 2013
Methodology

The study was based on surveys completed by 97% of the Catholic dioceses in the United States. The surveys provided information from diocesan fil on each priest accused of sexual abuse and on each of the priest's victims. That information was filtered, so that the research team did not have access to the names of the accused priests or the dioceses where they worked. The dioceses were encouraged to issue reports of their own based on the surveys that they had completed

Does noone but me see a problem with this study's methodology?
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#462734 Jul 16, 2013
From Sabbath to Sunday

Her priests do violence to my law and profane my holy things; they do not distinguish between the holy and the common; they teach that there is no difference between the unclean and the clean; and they shut their eyes to the keeping of my Sabbaths, so that I am profaned among them.
– Ezekiel 22:26

Most Christians believe that Sunday is the Lord’s Day. They believe that Jesus transferred the sacredness of the seventh day Sabbath to Sunday, the first day of the week, at the time of His resurrection.

If Jesus made such a change, there should be sufficient evidence in the Bible to support this claim.

Bible Review
Eight texts in the New Testament mention the first day of the week.

Biblical support for the sacredness of Sunday, if it exists, has to come from these verses. Here are the texts:

Matthew 28:1
Mark 16:2
Mark 16:9
Luke 24:1
John 20:1
John 20:19
Acts 20:7
1 Corinthians 16:2

Six of these texts refer to Jesus being resurrected on the first day of the week – a well-known fact.

However, none of these texts indicate anything about Sunday sacredness.

In fact, Luke 23:56 points out that a group of women delayed preparation of Christ’s body for burial on Friday evening because of the nearness of the Sabbath.

They rested on the Sabbath “according to the [fourth] commandment.” Therefore, it would be fair to say that the women had no prior knowledge that the fourth commandment was voided that Friday afternoon.

Since the first six texts simply date the resurrection of Jesus on the first day of the week and say nothing about Sunday being sacred, we will investigate the remaining two verses.

Acts 20:7
Some people use Acts 20 as evidence to support that Sunday worship was practiced by the apostles.“On the first day of the week we came together to break bread.

Paul spoke to the people and, because he intended to leave the next day, kept on talking until midnight.”( Acts 20:7)

Let us consider the details surrounding this verse.

The event recorded in Acts 20:7 took place about 30 years after Jesus ascended.

During this 30-year interval, there is not one text in the Bible that describes how Sunday had become the day of worship or that the disciples worshiped on Sunday.

Surely, if Jesus’ death on the cross had made such a profound change concerning the day of worship, this would have been a very controversial issue.

All of the disciples, including Paul, were Jews and as such, were Sabbath keepers!

Paul’s writings leave no doubt that the question of what was nailed to the cross was a matter of intense discussion for early believers.

I find it interesting that nothing is written in Acts or the New Testament about the sudden sacredness of Sunday or the sudden obsolescence of the Ten Commandments.

The Apostle Paul stayed in Athens some length of time preaching the gospel.( Acts 17)

When Paul finally left Athens, he went to Corinth. There he lived with Jewish believers, Aquila and Priscilla, who had been evicted from Rome by Claudius because they were Jews.( Acts 18)

Actually, Aquila and Priscilla were converts to Christ, but Emperor Claudius could not distinguish between a Christian and the “repugnant” Jews, so the Romans evicted all Christians and Jews from Rome at this time.

For a period of 18 months, Paul sustained himself in Corinth by making tents and he preached in the synagogue “every Sabbath” attempting to make believers of Jews and Gentiles alike.(See Acts18.)

If the seventh day Sabbath had been nailed to the cross, and if Sunday was God’s holy day, why is there no record of Paul teaching this new doctrine?

Paul wrote 14 of the 27 books in the New Testament and he says nothing about the sacredness of Sunday!(Luke wrote the book of Acts.)

“YESHUA IS LORD”

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#462735 Jul 16, 2013
who="Tony17" Christ was NOT crucified on a friday. He was crucified on a Wednesday and He rose sometimes that Saturday evening/night going into our Sunday morning before daybreak.
Now do I really need to destroy your theory of friday crucifixion? It's really easy to do.
Close, but not quite:
Mar 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week...
Travel was extremely limited on the Sabbath. The women and the disciples would not have walked any distance to appear at the tomb before the Sabbath was complete.
KayMarie
Your statement demonstrate that you are as most Christians are confused about when the Sabbath begins and ends ( AS ESTABLISHED BY GOD NOT BY MAN). The true Sabbath begins at sundown friday and ends sundown on Saturday. Sunday is NOT the sabbath. Sunday is the first day of the week. It is NOT the sabbath day.

Albuquerque, NM

#462736 Jul 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>

If no one paid for them...there would be no mire publishing and printing..why don't you get that
FYI - I've been part of the manufacturing world for well over 25 years now, I know the ins and outs of making a product and selling it.

What I don't get is if "God" never charged for his word to be spread to others, why do modern men charge.

We know the companies associated to Christianity aren't doing it "just to give the information out", because they charge for the publications - and most make lots of money doing it.

Now please tell me, why do people profit off of a religion that is supposed to be "free for the giving"?

If you support bible and cross manufacturers, then just be honest about it, and say that you do.

If you have ever bought a cross and/or a bible, then you have to admit that you've supported this "profit off of Jesus" type of business. You must, because you probably believe the "Bible is the all-time best selling book".

Unfortunately, with it being so, and you don't get to receive any money in supporting this cause - because you received "grace" (and we won't go there yet)- you must be honest enough to admit that you support "profiting off of Jesus and "God"".

Are you?

“YESHUA IS LORD”

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#462737 Jul 16, 2013
who="Tony17" Christ was NOT crucified on a friday. He was crucified on a Wednesday and He rose sometimes that Saturday evening/night going into our Sunday morning before daybreak.
Now do I really need to destroy your theory of friday crucifixion? It's really easy to do.
Close, but not quite:
Mar 16:9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week...
Travel was extremely limited on the Sabbath. The women and the disciples would not have walked any distance to appear at the tomb before the Sabbath was complete.
KayMarie
And since the Sabbath had ended at sundown that saturday,Christ rose sometime during the night before daybreak on what we call sunday. However Sunday is NOT the sabbath but merely the first day of the week which is not the sabbath.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#462738 Jul 16, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
And since the Sabbath had ended at sundown that saturday, Christ rose sometime during the night before daybreak on what we call Sunday. However Sunday is NOT the Sabbath but merely the first day of the week which is not the Sabbath.
While I was a child, my parents tried to keep Sunday holy by going to church. We were not allowed to play games out on the front lawn or attend sports. We never bought anything from a dairy or shop and seldom went in the car. Dad never did business. He was a builder and draughted house plans and built the homes.

My parents' tradition was to keep Sunday thinking it was the Sabbath but probably being ignorant of the Bible truth about Sabbath keeping and what the Sabbath is. They knew it's origin was in the Ten Commandments but that was all.

I find it incredible that most Christians do honour a day of worship but some say they worship God EVERY day.

That is not keeping the fourth commandment. If they abstain from work (as detailed in Exodus 20) EVERY day then the are just plain LAZY.

It is a common, but not a substantiated argument that the Ten Commandments were nailed to the cross.

However, if this is true, then whatever happens to the fourth commandment also happens to the other nine!

“For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said,‘Do not commit adultery,’ also said,‘Do not murder.’ If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.”(James 2:10, 11)

If we do away with the fourth commandment that declares the seventh day to be a holy day, then the seventh commandment that says adultery is wrong must be void as well.

Paul wrote,“What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said,‘Do not covet.’”(Romans 7:7)

Baptism absolutely does not make the fourth commandment null and void.

Jesus was baptized at the beginning of His ministry and He faithfully observed the Sabbath afterwards!( Luke 4:16; Mark 2:27,28)

If it is your TRADITION to keep Sunday, you are not honouring God.

(1 John 2:3-6 NIV) We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.

The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what He commands is a LIAR and the truth is NOT in him.

But if anyone obeys His word, God's love is truly made complete in him.

This is how we know we are in Him: Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#462739 Jul 16, 2013
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-20

"If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#462740 Jul 16, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
There is nothing untruthful about it at all. It is facts reported by credible sources.
Notwithstanding the media hysteria over sex abuse in the Catholic Church, priests abuse at a rate far lower than that of other males. While even one case of abuse is too many, approximately only 4% of all active priests between 1950 and 2002 were even ACCUSED of abuse – a rate far lower than that of other males in the general population.
Newsweek magazine, April 7, 2010:
"[B]ased on the surveys and studies conducted by different denominations over the past 30 years, experts who study child abuse say they see little reason to conclude that sexual abuse is mostly a Catholic issue.'We don't see the Catholic Church as a hotbed of this or a place that has a bigger problem than anyone else,' said Ernie Allen, president of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children …
"Experts disagree on the rate of sexual abuse among the general American male population, but Allen says a conservative estimate is one in 10. Margaret Leland Smith, a researcher at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, says her review of the numbers indicates it’s closer to one in 5 …
"Since the mid-1980s, insurance companies have offered sexual misconduct coverage as a rider on liability insurance, and their own studies indicate that Catholic churches are not higher risk than other congregations … It's been that way for decades."
USA Today, June 6, 2010:
"If anyone believes that priests offend at a higher rate than teachers or non-celibate clergy, then they should produce the evidence on which they are basing that conclusion. I know of none. Saying 'everybody knows' does not constitute scientific methodology."
– Dr. Philip Jenkins, Pennsylvania State University. Protestant
Hey dust ..I have nothing but good to say on the clergy ..mostly nuns in my life.

The reason it is worse. Fir any supposed Christian..has nothing to do with numbers.

Unbelievers,see it as a reflection on our Saviour ..You should see other forums ..they mock the Church and our God.

I never will understand why back then...they did n it just send these guys to monasteries instead if to another parish ..That was the dumb part ..imo. treat them..fine but sequester them !!!

All of them..no matter what religion..should be in jail ..

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#462741 Jul 16, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
While I was a child, my parents tried to keep Sunday holy by going to church. We were not allowed to play games out on the front lawn or attend sports. We never bought anything from a dairy or shop and seldom went in the car. Dad never did business. He was a builder and draughted house plans and built the homes.
My parents' tradition was to keep Sunday thinking it was the Sabbath but probably being ignorant of the Bible truth about Sabbath keeping and what the Sabbath is. They knew it's origin was in the Ten Commandments but that was all.
I find it incredible that most Christians do honour a day of worship but some say they worship God EVERY day.
That is not keeping the fourth commandment. If they abstain from work (as detailed in Exodus 20) EVERY day then the are just plain LAZY.
It is a common, but not a substantiated argument that the Ten Commandments were nailed to the cross.
However, if this is true, then whatever happens to the fourth commandment also happens to the other nine!
“For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said,‘Do not commit adultery,’ also said,‘Do not murder.’ If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.”(James 2:10, 11)
If we do away with the fourth commandment that declares the seventh day to be a holy day, then the seventh commandment that says adultery is wrong must be void as well.
Paul wrote,“What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said,‘Do not covet.’”(Romans 7:7)
Jesus was baptized at the beginning of His ministry and He faithfully observed the Sabbath afterwards!( Luke 4:16; Mark 2:27,28)
(1 John 2:3-6 NIV) We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commands.
The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what He commands is a LIAR and the truth is NOT in him.
This is how we know we are in Him: Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did.
So with your new found insight ..how do you think God feels about your
Parents keeping Sunday holy ...

Since: Jun 13

Bangkok, Thailand

#462742 Jul 16, 2013
all of this said what are YOU gonna do about it talk on forums hahaha great work everyone

“YESHUA IS LORD”

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#462743 Jul 16, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the blood ordinance part of the law as far as the sacrificing of animals etc, etc. Those ceremonial ordinances and what have you were part of the law as well so according to your understanding if you do not observe even one part of the law then you might as well not observe any part of the law.

So how do you go about performing the blood ordinances for sacrifice in your house. You do observe all the law right? You see where I'm going with this my friend?
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#462744 Jul 16, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
YOU SPEND YOUR LIFE TIME REVERING EVERY THING THAT YOU CAN PHYSICALLY FIND THAT YOU BELIEVE REMOTELY PERTAINS TO CHRISTIANITY...
I spend my time and my Christian life at Daily Mass, receiving Jesus Christ each and every day in the Eucharist (His TRUE body and Blood), as well as listen to, receiving and studying God Word, the Sacraments, and in nightly 1 AM prayer and adoration while you, Confrinting, do nothing but list "a bunch of bible verse" while attacking the faith and salvation of other Christians especially Catholics........ You do not speak for God and never will, until you come to TRUE Salvation in Jesus Christ!!!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#462745 Jul 16, 2013
ONE DOES NOT DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS,,,,
Still playing your bible only "distorted" editorialized opinion games Confrinting!!!
Jesus said (in John 6:47-59) For unless you eat my body (which is real food) and DRINK MY BLOOD (which is real drink) you CANNOT have eternal life!! You are deceiving "no one" but yourself!!!

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#462746 Jul 16, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>What about the blood ordinance part of the law as far as the sacrificing of animals etc, etc. Those ceremonial ordinances and what have you were part of the law as well so according to your understanding if you do not observe even one part of the law then you might as well not observe any part of the law.
So how do you go about performing the blood ordinances for sacrifice in your house. You do observe all the law right? You see where I'm going with this my friend?
Personally, I just go to the Kroger meat department.

Whenever I overcook whatever I pick up, then I just pretend its a burnt offering.

Pfft.

Columbus, OH

#462747 Jul 16, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So with your new found insight ..how do you think God feels about your
Parents keeping Sunday holy ...
He doesn't exist, hon. So he really doesn't feel one way or another about that.

Columbus, OH

#462748 Jul 16, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17-20
"If ye love me, keep my commandments." John 14:15
Did he really speak in archaic English?

What was he thinking?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#462749 Jul 16, 2013
who="Oxbow"
A Christian would answer these questions in less than a nano second...evidently you can't:
Does this verse teach Christ is God: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Do you agree with the following teaching, that is supported by Scripture???
SBC:
Christ is the eternal Son of God. In His incarnation as Jesus Christ He was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. Jesus perfectly revealed and did the will of God, taking upon Himself human nature with its demands and necessities and identifying Himself completely with mankind yet without sin...
And: The Catholics:
Jesus Christ, the incarnate Son of God...redeemer of the human Race..
I'm getting concerned for you. This 'thought' is in no way related to my post.
KayMarie
Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

Ah await your response...does this verse say that Jesus Christ is God??????!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Dec 12 Frindly 4
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web