Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Jul 10, 2007 Read more: CBC News 579,653
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

#460449 Jul 9, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
Your view of Christianity is distorted
Now don't lie! You know that Christians believe in a heaven and a hell, and you KNOW you believe that YOU will go to heaven.

THAT is Christianity from the get-go, so I suggest you don't try to make it over in YOUR image.

It's not nice to contradict your popes.

Smithers, Canada

#460450 Jul 9, 2013
So now this begs the question, who will be going to hell?

Religion gets sillier all the time.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >

Heaven for atheists? Pope sparks debate

“I gather from this statement that his view of the world's religious and philosophical diversity is expanding,” Speckhardt said.“While humanists have been saying for years that one can be good without a god, hearing this from the leader of the Catholic Church is quite heartening."

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/05/23/heav...

Since: Nov 08

usa

#460451 Jul 9, 2013
dr drue wrote:
<quoted text>You're correct Miss Clever.Life after death was invented by the egyptians.They would put food and guards in the grave with the dead for the after life.Ya see June we were created by an alien race to mine minerals in the mines in africa.They have found mines sixty thousand years old in africa thet were mined back then for gold.The first human that was created was a neanderthal but they were too stupid to figure out complex problems that would occur so they tweeked their DNA and bingo bango modern man was born.No God floating around for seven days like the flawed bible say just alien nohow.The ancient sumerians wrote about it thousands of years before the bible.Most of the storys in the bible are rehashed storys from the sumerians.FYI.I hope that helps miss Clever.
I'll bet you watch the history channel-2 don't you? I watch it myself and I saw the shows that stated the very same thing you just did, and the best part about what you said can be corroborated with actual artifacts and multiple sources of information to prove it to be factual.

Smithers, Canada

#460452 Jul 9, 2013
Religion become more and more a joke when the popes keep telling different stories about what should stem from the same religion.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

Pope: Hell Is a Real Place Where Sinners Burn in Everlasting Fire

Addressing a parish gathering in a northern suburb of Rome, Pope Benedict XVI said that in the modern world many people, including some believers, had forgotten that if they failed to "admit blame and promise to sin no more," they risked "eternal damnation — the Inferno."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/03/28/pope-...

usa

#460453 Jul 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't make "friends" on a forum. That way I don't feel beholden to personalities and am free to write what feels comfortable at all times to my own conscience.
you mean I'm not your friend :( sniffle sniffle) just because we are friends doesn't mean that you have to hold back on your thoughts or worry about offending me, what I would find offensive is lying to me about your true thoughts.

Smithers, Canada

#460454 Jul 9, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree given the choice between the two, religion should be outlawed world wide,
To out-law religion makes devout believers want it all that much more.

People won't leave religion unless they believe it has nothing more to offer them. That is what happened in my case. When it made no more sense to me, I left it behind and carried on without it.

Smithers, Canada

#460455 Jul 9, 2013
My guess is, there is nothing so thrilling to a Christian as to go into a country where their religion is illegal and preach under-cover. It's that sense of martyrdom and being needed by a god to preach a gospel that turns emotions on HIGH.

It's just too bad that these nitwits take their children into such situations, as the children didn't do anything to deserve torture and death at the hands of other irate radical religionists.

Smithers, Canada

#460456 Jul 9, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>you mean I'm not your friend :( sniffle sniffle) just because we are friends doesn't mean that you have to hold back on your thoughts or worry about offending me, what I would find offensive is lying to me about your true thoughts.
You won't ever catch me lying about my true thoughts, but still you might catch me lying. When I repeat what I believe is truth from others, I could be lying and not even know I am lying.

Smithers, Canada

#460457 Jul 9, 2013
OH OH!
>>>>>>

Not so fast: Vatican says Pope Francis got it wrong, atheists do go to hell

After the Vatican issued its “explanatory note,” noted British scientist and atheist Richard Dawkins wrote on Twitter:“Atheists go to heaven? Nope. Sorry world, infallible pope got it wrong. Vatican steps in with alacrity.”

And author Neal Donald Walsch, who wrote “Conversations With God,” said to UPI that “it was regrettable that the hidden hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church chose to officially retract the recent statement on eternal damnation bravely made by its new leader, Pope Francis.”

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter

Smithers, Canada

#460458 Jul 9, 2013
Years ago if one of the followers contradicted a pope, that unfortunate one would find his self burning at a stake or thrown into a dungeon.

Smithers, Canada

#460459 Jul 9, 2013
If members of the hierarchy keep contradicting the statements of pope Francis, people are going to wonder who really IS in charge of speaking for a god.

Maybe some will wake up and see that they never did speak on behalf of a god, and that would be a good thing.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#460460 Jul 9, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>Excuse me, but in the time you have wasted with the parroting you could have answered my question. If you could. Go away HOHO. You are wasting MY time. lol
Go and ask your other 42,000+ contradicting bible only Protestants to give you THEIR OWN "opinion" in answer to your question!...,.. Each one of them have become experts in concocting and (making up) their own "relative inconsistent truths" about what each bible verse means to them!! I/we as Catholics will continue (as we have for over 2000 years) to adhere to, believe and follow the AUTHENTICATED and PROVEN TRUTH of the TRUE interpretation from the bible from the Early Church Fathers (397 AD)who gave us the Bible, in and through OUR LORDS One True Apostolic Catholic Church!! Read the Catholic Catechism, 4GVN and you'll find ALL OF THE ANSWERS to your questions as they parallel the Sacred Scriptures.

usa

#460461 Jul 9, 2013
lapsteel wrote:
Everyone has an opinion. But what is truth on this subject? Truth is that no one is perfect, we all fall short and need Christ in our lives. No matter if you're catholic, prostestant, jew, hindu, muslim, or pagan.
why do we need him, he doesn't do anything.

usa

#460462 Jul 9, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction: No one but YOU June, is saying that "Catholics are the only creatures in the universe worth saying"! I never said it, never implied it or even believe it!!.....This is just more of your "same old hostile and beligerent attitude" that has infected your heart, mind and soul against the Catholic Church as well as other religious groups......I/we as Catholics believe that we are ALL ecumentical "brothers and sisters in Christ", however, your ongoing response (ever since you have been on this forum)---in your own Prodigal son world of defiance and rebelliousness---- is to call 2000 years of the Historical and biblical TRUTH of the Catholic Church and the TRUE faith "arrogance"!...Again , I ask you: Why are you on this forum, if atheistic discussion is a waste of time---other than to "vent your anger and vengeance" against the Catholic Church.......I/we as Catholics have put our faith, trust, hope and salvation in Jesus Christ, in and through HIS One True Catholic Church!....It is the Spirit of God in Jesus Christ that has led us as Catholics to the TRUTH. No one is forcing you or anyone else to accept our faith...... So then, why don't you go and live your own beliefs (or better yet unbeliefs) on your own "isolated atheistic island"! And let us live our Catholic Faith without your beligerent attacks--(which we all know that you can't or won't)..----- because of your own unstable, erratic, deviating and frustrated life of inconsistent behavior and confusion!!..Only God (Our creator) in His Son Jesus, can lift the bondage of hostility, hate and vengeance against the Catholic Church which is the TRUE Faith in Christ Jesus!!
same reply as usual, where is all this knowledge you have about religion, you said you spent numerous hours of researching, yet you say the same crap over and over again, and there never is any historical facts in your replies, did you lie hojo? it's ok the pagan/Christian church allows lying, just go and tell them, say a few hail Mary's drop a buck in the plate and your destined for heaven.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#460463 Jul 9, 2013
who="jethro8"I agree given the choice between the two, religion should be outlawed world wide, I see more harm than good coming from it,lets take the train wreck in Canada the break was tampered with, why didn't god intervene and stop the person who tampered with the train? and why didn't he stop the plane in san Francisco from crashing? all these type things happen on a daily basis around the world, and we're suppose to believe we have a loving god watching over us, for what? to see what new stupidity we can get ourselves into on a daily basis? obviously he does nothing to help, and this joke about the saint hood for the two popes we are suppose to believe they committed miracles to gain saint hood and yet god sits in his chair an does nothing? what's wrong with this picture.

What is wrong with this picture?
Easy: Your attempt to JUDGE GOD by your faulty human logic.

If God held the hand of every criminal who tampers with brakes on a train, or operates an airplane carelessly, He would have no means of stopping such evil...those He stopped would just go on killing and maiming all they could touch.

As it is God can honestly and fairly judge and prosecute AND REMOVE the destructive forces...and HE WILL DO SO.

KayMarie

usa

#460464 Jul 9, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Go and read the Catholic Catechism that parallels and compliments the bible, and figure it out for yourself..... I am not going to waste my time with your bible only Protestant "question and answer game" that you "fundies" keep playing with other each other and other Catholics on this forum--which is a (total waste of time)....My time is better spend at Daily Mass, receiving Jesus Christs TRUE body and blood, in the Eucharist, hearing Gods Word in the Scriptures, receiving the other Sacraments and in prayer in the Adoration Chapel before the blessed Sacrament.....Go argue, discuss and debate your "merry-go-round" contradicting, and conflicting bible only (relative truth) beliefs with your other 42,000 inconsistent Protestants.....I'll continue to remain with the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and HIS (historically and biblically PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church......You can do what you want!!!....It makes no difference to me!!!
rotflmao, you are so funny the catechism compliments the bible HYSTERICLE!!!

usa

#460465 Jul 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
So a Catholic goes to members of the hierarchy with a story of praying to a certain saint to intervene at a tragedy, and a loved-one's life was saved by the intervention.
What if it wasn't the supposed god's will that the person live?
If a god knows all and knows what each individual needs, then supposed saints should not be meddling with god's will ... should THEY???
All these middle men and women must confuse the many gods and goddesses in the sky.
Silly nonsensical blather.
never thought about it that way, god has a plan for us, so how can he carry out his plan if all these so called saints are butting in? wish someone can tell me what his plan is, except to be born live work till your 65 then get old and die, things haven't changed since before man starting walking upright.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#460466 Jul 9, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the article below will help clear up some misconceptions you seem to have. I encourage you to read it all. Blind trust and respect and honor shown are two entirely different things. I can make the very same argument that many Protestants blindly follow ministers, because they do. If its on the internet then it must be true right? Jack Chick comic books (oh the irony) for example has been condemned and exposed for a plethora of lies by Protestant groups, yet other treat him as a god. Billy Graham, Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart, Melissa, Peter Popov, Ellen White, the Apostle Preston and on. There is a system of checks and balances and an order. A Pope needs a good rebuke on occassion as well which does and has been done. Nothing new is it? The bible is full of the fallings of man. All the Apostles had failings. Peters are brought forth, Moses and King Davids weakness was brought forth. It did not mean they were now worthless because of it.
http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a31.htm
Dust Storm:

I read the article....I didn't go deep into it, but for the most part I accept what it states.

My "problem", is that I observe a lot of cradle RCs don't accept what it states. They have a misinformed, or uninformed teaching on the issue of the office and person of the priesthoods(both).

And I agree that non-RCCs have the same problem with their relationships with their ministers.

Respecting the office, differs from respecting the person in the office. I suspect that is why I could not be monk(smiles), and it is very much ingrained in my character to question the leader's decisions(not his authority). Its the American's prerogative to criticize the leader(though that appears to be changing).

I know many priests who are critical of their bishops, yet yield to their authority. For the most part they silently accept "orders", without protest, as a part of their accepting Holy Orders.

So one leans on authority, rather than Authority. And that causes contention, in the whole Church, and confusion enters through the back door.

The ultimate end is of course follow the lead of the Spirit. And that does not mean to sit quietly on the side, holding one's tongue. It is not a human military organization to blindly follow orders. It is the Church Militant, under the orders of the Holy Spirit.

The only reason I might know more, is because I have made the same and more mistakes.

It is a question of knowing where one's loyalty lays and respect earned in trust. One can be a patriot without being loyal, and loyal without being a patriot. It is better when they are aligned and parallel.

I hope you can see my point?
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#460467 Jul 9, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Very nice blend of the practical and the spiritual. And all from one scripture passage, too. Nice one, Robert!
ReginaM

I can't take credit. I defer to St. Bonaventure. He addressed the issue of a "new flesh" in Mary, and how wrong it was. I merely updated it with "DNA".

I think as Christians we know the Messiah(Jesus) is the one being talked about in Isaiah 11:1, but give less thought of the deeper meaning in the context....

I confess, as a Protestant, intuitively I accepted by faith, Jesus as Savior, but as time went on, I put Jesus higher and higher, until he became out of reach. And I think this is a common problem. It was not until, I re-found the humanity of Christ in Mary, and she led me to the RCC that I had a closer relationship with Jesus.

I do not think this is strictly a "Protestant" problem, rather an awareness of sin begins a struggle in the conscience, in a separation process, which needs reconciliation.(And of course the RCC is a help in the reconciliation process with the sacrament between man and God.)

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#460468 Jul 9, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Oxbow:
Cherry-picking scriptures is YOUR basic Bible study method....
We all share this flaw, as it is in the nature of man to see what we want to see. Thus, came the I-Ching, Runes, and Tarot Cards....
Jumping through the alphabet, A to Z(Genesis to Revelation), in the hopes of making something acceptable to reason, is not reasonable. It is like you are trying to get confirmation from a group of words, jumbled together at random, and believing you know some dark secret hidden away for all ages.
Your method is more akin to using the I-Ching, or throwing Runes, even Tarot cards, than the Bible.
Man-up and admit it.
Your words are saying you don't even own a Bible...much less know a single thing about studying God's Word..

Mt 1:1 ¶ The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.
Ge 12:3; 22:18; Ps 132:11; Isa 11:1; Jer 23:5; Mt 22:24,42; Lu 3:23; Joh 7:42; Ac 2:30; 13:23; Ro 1:3; Ga 3:16

The message in Mt 1:1 is supported by Ge 12:3; 22:18; Ps 132:11; Isa 11:1; Jer 23:5; Mt 22:24,42; Lu 3:23; Joh 7:42; Ac 2:30; 13:23; Ro 1:3; Ga 3:16 (From Ge in the OT to Ga in the NT)

You calling this cherry picking.... which clearly shows you are ignorant from the top of your head to the end of your toes..regards Scripture..

If someone tells you something that sounds intelligent to most people, and you want to repeat it to me...I am willing to listen...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) 2 hr nami timmy 663
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 3 hr wants an explanation 9,049
News Church leaders plan TV debates to resolve doctr... 3 hr Just the Truth 4
News Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... 4 hr positronium 2,033
News Obamas to host Pope Francis at White House Sept... 16 hr kuda 53
News Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Tue Songs 174
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Mon dollarsbill 83,961
More from around the web