Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 545,100
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#460296 Jul 9, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless you know of a dimension below the 1st, there is no possibility of it existing...except in the mind of the one who would perceive it...and that would be an "abstract" rather than a reality for the individual, and even less so for the majority.
Actuality sucks ...doesn't it?
Black Thunder 42

I can agree with you to a certain degree. But find your use of the word "abstract" a bit hard to deal with. But your statement is a seed for various reconsiderations, reflection and exegesis.

I suppose one could easily trace "universals" back to Plato and Aristotle, but it becomes more apparent where one stands and views the spectrum of illumination and abstraction.

It would seem to me, your post is a bit Thomistic and Platonic so I tend to believe both illumination and abstraction are possible, without denying "actuality".
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#460297 Jul 9, 2013
Did the Church declare that St. Christopher is a myth?

First of all, it's not true. The Church never issued any kind of decree saying that Christopher never existed. Furthermore, competent hagiographers, including Protestant ones, tell us that there was a Christopher, but we just don't know as much about him as some of the legends that grew up around him would suggest.

The confusion over Christopher's status comes from the 1969 reform of the Roman Calendar. This reform had been mandated by Vatican II in Sacrosanctum Concilium, its constitution on the liturgy. Because the Roman Calendar was getting crowded, especially with saints with local rather than universal followings, the Council declared: "Lest the feasts of the saints take precedence over the feasts commemorating the very mysteries of salvation, many of them should be left to be celebrated by a particular Church or nation or religious family; those only should be extended to the universal Church that commemorate saints of truly universal significance" (SC 111).
http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/did-th...

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

#460298 Jul 9, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
NO THAT IS NOT TRUE..
WHEN JESUS SAID "IT IS FINISHED" BOWED HIS HEAD AND DIED...
Catholics "approved" of all that nonsense in the new testament or it would not exist.

Catholics controlled Christianity until the 16th century when Luther and his band of thugs broke the Catholic strong-hold over the Christian religion. Whatever was in that bible was ordained not by a god, but by the popes in power.

When Jerome translated the bible into Vulgate Latin, it was at the "approval" of pope Damasus. Make no mistake about that issue. Jerome was commissioned by Damasus to translate the bible, and Damasus hovered over Jerome's every word to make sure he approved OF the words.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#460299 Jul 9, 2013
who="Black Thunder 42"
You folks needs ta jist quit worry'n 'bout my goddam underwears, an when I might take the notion ta wash 'em!
You flatlanders ain't got no clue about the wherewithall 'bout any such undertak'ns at tall!
Why the hell don't ya jist mind yer own goddam business!
Ever damn time ya starts ta talk'n any such nonsense, is cuz ya think it's high time us hill folks needs a bath...Does you got some kind o' "special" sort o' smell what god give ya?

Your language gives you away as quickly as the smell of your underwear. A REAL old-time West Virginian speaks ENGLISH...a bit strangely, perhaps, but without the 'cussin'.

You musta come from New Yawk...

KayMarie

Smithers, Canada

#460300 Jul 9, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
With a "ridiculous statement" such as this your intelligence, wisdom and rationale has reached the depths of "new lows"!......... The Catholic Church doesn't teach this nor does any Catholic believe this and "YOU know it"!!!
If the popes didn't believe that Catholics were the only ones to be saved, why would they have forced others to become Catholic???

You really don't question their motives ... do you? They wanted to rule the people of the world and they used their religion as a supposed "reason."
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Athanasian Creed
1. Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith

Human Being

Sunset, LA

#460301 Jul 9, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? I don't think that is accurate at all.
I have been in error several times in the last 30 + years in my research. I have accepted it it and regrouped my thinking and continued on.
I do not believe that "religionists" are capable of that attribute.
Black Thunder 42

Thinking people resolve errors. Unthinking people continue in error for the sake of self-justification. And that in essence is blind faith, or faith without reason.

Religionists must have faith and reason in order to function. If they don't, then they fail to resolve living in the world. But one does not have to be a religionist, people apparently would rather be led, than stand up for what is right(at this time in history). Whether their leaders, or mob-democracies are right or wrong.

Smithers, Canada

#460302 Jul 9, 2013
Pope Benedict Arnold wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you for this. It also does not say that the name pope will be compared to Jesus.
Popes compared their selves to Jehovah ... the Jewish Master ... the one and only god that favored the Jews.

Silly stuff in deed!

:)

Smithers, Canada

#460303 Jul 9, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I like Teutonic and Celtic mythology.
I also like the Mythology of Genesis and the Sumerian Myths they came from.
I do not like Christian Mythology but do like the Gospels of Mark and Thomas.
The ancient Jewish rituals, esp. Yom Kippur, I find fascinating from a psycho-social perspective.
Thanks for your response.

Do you base any mythology on the idea that it was or is true in the sense of absolute truth?

Smithers, Canada

#460304 Jul 9, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
There 'is One God', is what the Bible teaches Ox, of course we no longer worship HIM in the flesh but in the Spirit.
In mythology isn't that the SAME god that worshipped ONLY the Jews?

God-theft is NOT polite. It made the Jews jealous that you Christians could not or would not find a god all their own to worship.

I don't blame them.

Tongue in cheek

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#460305 Jul 9, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
AMEN
YOU WROTE...
What do we do to CALL PEOPLE TO JESUS TODAY...
~~~
OUR WORK IS THE SAME TODAY AS IT WAS WHEN JESUS SPOKE IT FORTH
Mat 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
He said..when ask...
Joh 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
Joh 6:29 Jesus answered and said unto them..
-->This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
I agree ..I just get sad..And I'm guilty too.
When on some of these forums forums and this one is tame .
We just bicker over whose Church is right
I get sad
When people USe Jesus

To put down others.

What does it say to

Non believers or people the Spirit may be calling who
Might actually be searching

We we Christians hurt others with our words

What does it say about Jesus and His mercy.

I edit a lot on another forum. Personal insults going both ways

But I feel we shoukd do better...

I prayed really hard on this the other nite when I forced hurt and angry on personal insults

Bringing unprovoked past..Taunting others ..

It's nit what Christians shoukd be doing IMO .

AND on this thread with RELIGIUIS,content

We should be calling people to HIM by our words and actions

Not to any Church ...But Him alone

I am not jealous if In plant a seed and it is harvested elsewhere.

We shoukd be planting seeds IMO.

Not fighting on who lives Jesus more. Again my opinion ..

Some mysteries we will not know the facts of until we are told when we are with Him.

Including but not limited to The EUCHARIST

FAITH ..Grace ..Salvation..lead us to our own personal relationship.
With Jedi s.

Fir what it's worth I was reading here this morning

And felt led to post this..

Smithers, Canada

#460306 Jul 9, 2013
4GVN wrote:
<quoted text>So The Father is God, the Son is God and the Holy Spirit is God.
That's all Christian dogma. Rumor has it that the god of the Jews doesn't recognize anything Christian, as it's not on his radar screen TO recognize.

Smithers, Canada

#460307 Jul 9, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes three Gods.
A deity giving birth to itself then killing itself to become a magic ghost is ridiculous.
The mythological Worm Ouroboros makes infinitely more sense.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#460308 Jul 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe your Catholic theologians were experts at giving advise about human behavior according to the god created and worshipped FIRST by the Jews???
June:

Always such very, very, loaded questions....I sometimes wonder if you know you are asking them?

As always you force me to break them down. And when I do, they turn into nonsense.

Jews did not create God. Nor did they create God first. Nor did they worship God first.

I suppose it is for each of us to see how "expertly" the Catholic theologians(you need to be a bit more specific on who "they" are) expounded their teachings, in order to determine for onerself the correctness of the teachings.

For instance, I disagree with Acquinas and agree with Scotus on various religious matters.

“Let the Children”

Since: Aug 08

Come To Me

#460309 Jul 9, 2013
...relationship with JESUS.

MY KINDLE makes up words ..not easy to type on .

SORRY

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#460310 Jul 9, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Black Thunder 42
Thinking people resolve errors. Unthinking people continue in error for the sake of self-justification. And that in essence is blind faith, or faith without reason.
Religionists must have faith and reason in order to function. If they don't, then they fail to resolve living in the world. But one does not have to be a religionist, people apparently would rather be led, than stand up for what is right(at this time in history). Whether their leaders, or mob-democracies are right or wrong.
~~~

YOU WROTE

Religionists must have faith and reason in order to function.

IN MY OPINION ....THE BEST DEFINITION OF FAITH IN THE BIBLE

Is about Abraham the father of faith...

The Apostle Paul put it this way...

Rom 4:20 ---> He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

Rom 4:21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.<---

Rom 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

NOTE====>

Rom 4:23 ====> Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;

Rom 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Rom 4:25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification. <====

Smithers, Canada

#460311 Jul 9, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
"It is a source of great frustration and annoyance to me to hear people inaccurately say (often in reference to Saint Christopher) "After Vatican II they got rid of a whole bunch of saints that were just myths!" or "They decanonized Saints Christopher & Philomena!"
A lot of people "knowingly" repeat this disinformation, having heard it or been taught it in a vaiety of places.(The pastor at my Catholic grade school explained Saint Chrisopher was "just a legend" to us as school children. I suspect he will be VERY suprised one day.)
I suggest your information is misinformation
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

The Making of a Saint

Note

In 1969 the Vatican cast a critical eye on more than 40 saints and dropped them from the official catalog, or liturgical calendar. Removed were such well-known saints as Saint Christopher (the patron saint of travelers), Saint Barbara, and Saint Valentine. Some of the saints were dropped because doubts had been raised in the last few centuries that they ever existed at all.

Smithers, Canada

#460313 Jul 9, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Jews did not create God.
Of course they created their own god, as did all myth-makers create their own gods and goddesses through the eons of time concerning religion.

Some certain Jews thought they were special and so they needed one god all their own. Previously Jews were polytheistic and believed in multiple gods.

You really need to be more objective concerning religion and as long as you stay PUT in Catholicism, you will subject your self only to what suits your Catholic lusts.

Smithers, Canada

#460314 Jul 9, 2013
The Incredible Book of Vatican Facts and Papal Curiosities … A treasury of Trivia, by Nino Lo Bello~ Published 1998.

The Making of a Saint

The action caused problems for many believers, especially in the Latin countries where devotion to saints is particularly intense. Among the saints removed from the list (along with their usually celebrated feast days) were Saint Paul the Hermit (January 15), Saint Maurus January 15) Saint Prisca (January 18). Saint Martin (January 30) Saint Domitilla (May 12), Saint Boniface of Tarsus (May 14), Saint Venatius (May 18), Saint Pudentiana (May 19), Saints Modestus and Crescentia (June 15), Saints John and Paul (june 26), Saint Alexis (July 17), Saint Symphorosa and her sons (July 18), Saint Margaret of Antioch (July 20), Saint Praxedes (July 21), Saint Christopher (July 25), Saint Susanna (August 11), Saint Eusubius (August 14), Saint Hippolytus (August 22), Saint Sabina (August 29), the Twelve bothers (September 1), Saints Lucia and Geminianus (Sept 16), Saint Eutache and his fellow martyrs (Sept 20),Saint Thecla (September 23), Saints Cyprian and Justina (September 26), Saint Placid and his fellow martyrs (October 5), Saints Tryphus, Bacchus, and Apuleius (October 08),Saint Ursula and her fellow martyrs (October 21), Saints Respicius and Nympha (November 10),Saint Felix of Valois (November 20), Saint Chrysogomus (November 24), Saint Catharine of Alexandria (November 25), Saint Bibiana (December 2), Saint Barbara (December 4), and Saint Anastasia (December 25).
4GVN

Jackson, MO

#460315 Jul 9, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
There is "nothing legitimate" about ANYTHING you ask 4GVN!.....Never has and never will be! Your "bible only question and answer" (3 ring circus game),since the Reformation has been a self editorialized "joke" ----and the "joke" continues to be on YOU, Jack Chick and the rest of you bible only Protestants..... You Sola Scriptura "popes" live in constant confusion and choas,as each of you just keep "spinning around in circles" with one "relative truth" opinion after another--unable to even agree with your other 42,000 "fundie clowns"!! That's why you keep asking "opinionated Protestant "loaded questions" with "made up" personal opinionate answers. Again--read the Catholic Catechism if you want the "AUTHENTICATED TRUTH" of what the TRUE INTERPRETATION of the Bible TRUTHFULLY IS!---I/we as Catholics "all know" that you won't do that, because you would rather live in your contradicting "private disoriented" Protestant world, where your "personal opinion" is the final authority!!
Excuse me, but in the time you have wasted with the parroting you could have answered my question. If you could. Go away HOHO. You are wasting MY time. lol
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#460316 Jul 9, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I suggest your information is misinformation
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>
The Making of a Saint
Note
In 1969 the Vatican cast a critical eye on more than 40 saints and dropped them from the official catalog, or liturgical calendar. Removed were such well-known saints as Saint Christopher (the patron saint of travelers), Saint Barbara, and Saint Valentine. Some of the saints were dropped because doubts had been raised in the last few centuries that they ever existed at all.
If you continued to read you would have found that they were dropped from the *Universal Calendar*, but not local calendars and NONE were "un-canonized" or declared to have never existed. There's a lot of misinformation floating around out there addressed directly to you and people like you just ready to gobble it up and throw it up.

Was St. Christopher real?

I’m glad you asked this question, because even many priests and religious educators don’t know the correct answer. St. Christopher is still a saint. What happened in the 1960s was that the Church revised its universal calendar, the schedule of celebrations that are observed by the worldwide Church. Some saints’ days were removed, others added. This did not mean that those removed were no longer saints—only that the Church no longer celebrated their feast days everywhere. Individual communities and Catholics are still free to honor these saints and choose them as patrons. In fact, only a tiny percentage of canonized or recognized saints appear in the universal calendar. Many saints of religious orders are honored only within that order, for example.

You can be proud to have a powerful patron, intercessor, and namesake in St. Christopher. We know little about him historically—only that he died about A.D. 251—but that is also true of many early martyrs.
http://www.catholic.com/quickquestions/was-st...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 48 min Married in 8,331
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... 12 hr TheRealOzzy 14
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) 14 hr Delilahblue 171
Catholic Church the only body 'effectively acti... 16 hr Nulli Secundus 1
Vatican exorcism conference warns the Devil is ... Mon Sherlayne 21
Catholics react to pope remarks on gays, abortion (Sep '13) Mon Gapin Garrika 12
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Sep 26 KidlatNgayon 88

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE