Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589164 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#459471 Jul 6, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul's not my favorite.
But he did exist.
And he did write about half of the texts ascribed to him.
Do your homework, hon.
I don't care who your favorite mythical character is, any more than I care who your favorite theologian that wrote the myth was.

Religion is all myth and myth is all bunk.
socci

Cameron, MO

#459472 Jul 6, 2013

History of the Book of Genesis
http://archive.org/details/WhoWroteTheBookOfG...
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#459473 Jul 6, 2013
Wasn't too long ago people were set on fire just because they disagreed with someoneelses take on God.

Today we still kill people in the name of God, but mostly sling mud at each other instead, ALL because by chance we were born into one particular belief, that teaches we are right and everyone else is not.

Is that the desire of an all loving God?

Terrace, Canada

#459474 Jul 6, 2013
Augustine is one of the favorite Catholic theologians.

But had Augustine not converted to Catholicism from his sect of Manichaeism, he would be unknown to Catholics of today, as he would have been put to death as were the ones put to death by the acceptance OF Augustine.

He turned on his own people for the sake of his new Catholic religion.

There was no supposed love lost or found in that milieu.

Terrace, Canada

#459475 Jul 6, 2013
Michael wrote:
Wasn't too long ago people were set on fire just because they disagreed with someoneelses take on God.
Today we still kill people in the name of God, but mostly sling mud at each other instead, ALL because by chance we were born into one particular belief, that teaches we are right and everyone else is not.
Is that the desire of an all loving God?
Religion never had anything to do with gods. It had everything to do with the people that created the images of the gods.

Terrace, Canada

#459476 Jul 6, 2013
GOD

...a God who could make good children as easily as bad, yet preferred to make bad ones; who could have made every one of them happy, yet never made a single happy one; who made them prize their bitter life, yet stingily cut it short; who gave his angels eternal happiness unearned, yet required his other children to earn it; who gave his angels painless lives, yet cursed his other children with biting miseries and maladies of mind and body; who mouths justice, and invented hell--mouths mercy, and invented hell--mouths Golden Rules and foregiveness multiplied by seventy times seven, and invented hell; who mouths morals to other people, and has none himself; who frowns upon crimes, yet commits them all; who created man without invitation, then tries to shuffle the responsibility for man's acts upon man, instead of honorably placing it where it belongs, upon himself; and finally, with altogether divine obtuseness, invites his poor abused slave to worship him!
- No. 44, The Mysterious Stranger

Mark Twain

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#459477 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care who your favorite mythical character is, any more than I care who your favorite theologian that wrote the myth was.
Religion is all myth and myth is all bunk.
Don't get smart, June; get good.

Ignorance with or without religion is still ignorance.

Terrace, Canada

#459478 Jul 6, 2013
socci wrote:
History of the Book of Genesis
http://archive.org/details/WhoWroteTheBookOfG...
Theologians wrote all the books concerning religion ... period.

And if you don't trust other theologians, I suggest you are playing favorites to trust your own theologians.

And you do so for that one reason alone ... the promise of your favorite theologians that you will be rewarded with salvation.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#459479 Jul 6, 2013
socci wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul met and was converted by the resurrected Jesus.
The books of the NT were written before the close of the 1st century by the apostles, then preserved in their original language among the Greeks until coming West to Europe after the fall of the eastern empire to Islam. True, the Latin text was corrupt, but the english Bible used today does not come from the Latin.
KJV NT origins
http://conservapedia.com/Geneva_Bible#The_Fir...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byzantine_text-t...
KJV OT origins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masoretic_Text
ms history
http://www.biblebelievers.com/JEcob1.html
(chart)
http://bibles4free.com/sitebuildercontent/sit...
Who wrote the NT books and when?
http://carm.org/wasnt-new-testament-written-h...
http://www.datingthenewtestament.com/Fathers....
Bible History
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =V8C-Dl7VpRQXX
The Forbidden Book
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Battle of the Bibles
Changing the Word
Just because someone wrote something 2,000 years ago doesn't make it true. Just because by chance you were born a christian its true to you only because you were born to believe its true.

.... I am sure what Jews claim to be written and true in your views is not true. I am sure what Muslims claim about Allah being true you would denounce that, not because you know the facts but because it doesn't fit YOUR agenda of what you were born into believing.

Its all born by chance indoctrination........by the most part

Terrace, Canada

#459480 Jul 6, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't get smart, June; get good.
Ignorance with or without religion is still ignorance.
I admit that I am ignorant concerning mysteries.

Now it's your turn to admit the same.

I'll be waiting for your confession, but please don't be too long, as I'm getting older and might not last until you make your decision to confess.

:)

Terrace, Canada

#459481 Jul 6, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because someone wrote something 2,000 years ago doesn't make it true. Just because by chance you were born a christian its true to you only because you were born to believe its true.
.... I am sure what Jews claim to be written and true in your views is not true. I am sure what Muslims claim about Allah being true you would denounce that, not because you know the facts but because it doesn't fit YOUR agenda of what you were born into believing.
Its all born by chance indoctrination........by the most part
And of course some leave their religion to join another ... being certain that the new ones are by far superior.

Humans are gluttons for such folly.

Terrace, Canada

#459482 Jul 6, 2013
I knew one woman who bounced around from one Christian sect to another.

For a "spell" she would be wearing a Mennonite head-dress, and then she would be in another sect wearing earrings and makeup et cetera.

The theologians were casting different spells on her as she went along her roads of confusion to supposed certain salvation at the end of her journey.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#459483 Jul 6, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
FireFox rules
I've seen people's comps mess up with new so called improved IE .
I won't get THe New one as I never use it ..
Ya. I don't even use windows. It was a constant nightmare.
I have all the bells and whistles one could want in an OS with no hassles, no malware, and it is free.
It all started with "windows" black screening my "W7" legal OS(because of their errant update system), and wanting me to pay $149 to get it up and running again... I told them where to shove their products, and never looked back. It pays to be a hacker and know computer tech too. I feel sorry for those that are unskilled and unaware of their options..so they just keep paying and fighting the viruses and malware.

Terrace, Canada

#459484 Jul 6, 2013
I wonder if this dog was dreaming of burning in hell ... or whether it simply had a bad dream of being chased by a pit bull?

Tongue in cheek

Terrace, Canada

#459485 Jul 6, 2013
Dreaming does not mean that we are getting messages from a god. It's a natural phenomenon.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Animals have complex dreams, MIT researcher proves

While any pet owner knows that animals seem to dream, and studies show that animals' brains follow the same series of sleeping states as ours do, this is the first time that researchers know what animals are dreaming about.

They monitored the animals' brain activity during the task and while they were asleep. While the animal ran, its brain created a distinctive pattern of neurons firing in the hippocampus, a brain area known to be involved in memory.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2001/dreaming.h...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#459486 Jul 6, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Yawn...Do you rub your feet on the carpet to get the static going? I provided facts and you provided nothing. If being a joke is proving that you are an idiot then great!
You didn't answer a single thing. You just babbled and licked your wounds with another Catholic hater.
Show us Proof that abuse is primarily a Catholic issue. Show us that is a bigger problem than anywhere else. Again Secular, religious, insurance companies, independent investigations with credibility say you are a joke and a rabid bigot spewing out nonsense with nothing to support it. Licking your wounds with a so called Christian who believes in God possibly, which you don't is not proof. I have said it was lower in the church to begin with than the general public. I backed that up. The church has since made massive reforms and independent investigations. I stated the vast majority of cases are from decades ago and they are. The validity of putting some even dead men on trial is questionable. Eliminating statutes of limiation for one organization is also highly questionable if the true motive was to resolve the issue everywhere. Putting a priest who has been accused not proven or convicted of anything on an offendor list as has been done in some places just rhrows out the whole premise of innocent until proven guilty. And of course all allegations are always true. NOT!
The Church publishes its figures out in the open. Who else does that? Did the Atheist Brotherhood? Feel free to show the facts not conjecture, not innuendo, not opinion. Show me the independent investigations, record keeping done by other organizations. I dont want to see individual cases. I want side by side comparison with the criteria. I want to see the policies, procedure and plan of action in all organizations that demonstrate they have acknowledged a problem and wish to work it out. The reality is many have not. If you are going to use blanket statements against the church then prove it. No Catholic on this thread is justifying any abuse. It was not brought up by Catholics. But if you want to randomly slander all priests or the church based on nothing but innuendo then you are nothing but hot air and the joke is truly you.
We arent minimizing or dimishing anything. All Catholics want them gone. We arent saying our church never had nor will have any or excusing it. However those who wish to claim it does not exist in their ranks or it is solely a Catholic issue or far worse in the church than anywhere else. Please do provide the proof, but the facts don't accomodate that rhetoric.
We see how the church has tried to relocate millions of dollars into private bank accounts and got caught at it.
Honest? Hardly. That is "evasion".

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#459487 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I admit that I am ignorant concerning mysteries.
Now it's your turn to admit the same.
I'll be waiting for your confession, but please don't be too long, as I'm getting older and might not last until you make your decision to confess.
:)
Sorry. I know my stuff.

But you are as ignorant as the Christians you bash.

And that's never a good thing.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#459488 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you get sick to your stomach when you look in the mirror at your own "vessel?"
The theologians really did a number on your brain.
I don't believe my body or my brain is contaminated, and no amount of your drivel will convince me it is so.
Children should be taught that they are whole just as they are.
Your religion is what is repulsive!
~~~
Children should be taught that they are whole just as they are.

JUST AS IT WAS FOR ADAM AND EVE IN EDEN...Children have no

accountability for their sins, until they have matured

to where they know right from wrong...

WHATEVER AGE THAT HAPPENS..

You know right from wrong..fut you have made a choice to attack God...

You are old enough to know better...

Yet you blame the works of your enemy satan ...on God and

opt to spew continual hatred toward Him...

You lie You Fry...

continually

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#459489 Jul 6, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I knew one woman who bounced around from one Christian sect to another.
For a "spell" she would be wearing a Mennonite head-dress, and then she would be in another sect wearing earrings and makeup et cetera.
The theologians were casting different spells on her as she went along her roads of confusion to supposed certain salvation at the end of her journey.
~~~

You confusion of face is not with out

good and bad examples Right ?

YET YOU SEEM TO REFUSE TO LEARN BY THEM...

Terrace, Canada

#459490 Jul 6, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry. I know my stuff.
But you are as ignorant as the Christians you bash.
And that's never a good thing.
To believe you know is not the same as knowing.

I bash ALL religion.

You, on the other hand only bash religions that are not of your own exact "flavor."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) 3 hr pazuzu 57
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 8 hr IveGotFamilyInHOP 9,371
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) 9 hr ELIAS IBARRA 9
News Francis expects short papacy 11 hr ELIAS IBARRA 12
News Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark 12 hr ELIAS IBARRA 10
News After a visit from the pope, Mr. Castro has muc... 23 hr L I G E R 2
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Wed barry 84,264
More from around the web