Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 690316 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#459699 Jul 7, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Who didn't see them as authentic? Caiaphas?
The official Jewish canon came after the crucifixion. Luthers and your KJV Bibles were decided by the very same men who killed Our Lord.
Read the Dead Sea Scrolls. The Qumran Jews had Tobit and Sirach in their collection, just like the Catholic and Orthodox Churches do.
You guys on not have enough Bible to even be Sola Scripture.
THEY WERE AND ARE HISTORICAL BOOKS,

NOT CONSIDERED TO BE OF ANY VALUE AS RELIGIOUS TEACHINGS.

To the Jewish People and now to the Christians.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#459700 Jul 7, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston:
Do you think it good to pray for them, even if you don't know them personally?
Do you think God would desire for us to pray for them, before they die?(Not just for their good, but also our own?)
Peace to you.
It's obvious you don't have any faith that your supposed god knows what's best for you or others ... or you wouldn't be trying to manipulate the supposed god's will.

Silly people!

One minute you preach that god knows what's best, and the next minute you believe you have to pray so that he does from your opinions what YOU believe is best.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#459701 Jul 7, 2013
Humans seem to believe that they have to run god's affairs for him, as he is not able or willing to show himself for what he is ... or is not.

:)

Wouldn't it be nice ... if only they could agree in "concern" with what god wants them to preach???

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#459702 Jul 7, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
edited for space
The Bible is a Catholic Book. The Protesters want to claim it as their own, but it ain't.edited for space.
==========
I truly don't understand how the Catholics can claim that they "gave the world" the Bible??
In A.D. 363, THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA (Catholic) stated that only the Old Testament (along with the Apocrypha) and the 27 books of the New Testament were to be read in the churches.
==========
BUT
FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT, THE PROCESS OF THE RECOGNITION AND COLLECTION BEGAN IN THE FIRST CENTURIES OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
VERY EARLY ON, SOME OF THE NEW TESTAMENT BOOKS WERE BEING RECOGNIZED.

PRIOR TO A.D. 80 THE DIDACHE was in circulation. In it contains knowledge of Matthew, Luke, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians and I Peter, and possibly Hebrews and Jude

A.D. 95 CLEMENT OF ROME West mentioned at least eight New Testament books
A.D. 108 POLYCARP,East (Smyrna now in Turkey)a disciple of John the apostle, acknowledged 15 books. Polycarp's Letter to the Philippians written prior to A.D. 117, quotes John, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, II Thessalonians, I Timothy, II Timothy, Hebrews, James and I John.

A.D. 115 IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH (East) acknowledged about seven books The letters of Ignatius of Antioch, all written before A.D. 117,(his death) refer to Matthew, John, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians,
Philippians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, and possibly eleven other New Testament books.

100-147. JUSTIN MARTYR,(West)mentions the Gospels as being four in number and quotes from them and some of the epistles of Paul and Revelation. Born in Samaria (the middle portion of Israel, between Galilee and Judea) of pagan Greek parents

A.D. 185 IRENAEUS, East quoted from all New Testament books except Philemon, Jude, James and 3 John.
Irenaeus mentioned 21 books A Greek from Smyrna in Asia Minor,now &#304;zmir, Turkey

160-240. TERTULLIAN, West contemporary of Origen and Clement, mentions all the New Testament books except 2 Peter, James and 2 John. From Carthage in the Roman province of Africa

165-220. CLEMENT, OF ALEXANDRIA, East names all the books of the New Testament except Philemon, James, 2 Peter and 3 John. In addition we are told by Eusebius, who had the works of Clement, that he gave explanations and quotations from all the canonical books.

185-254. ORIGEN East born at Alexandria, names all the books of both the Old and New Testaments.

100 YEARS BEFORE THE COUNCIL OF NIACEA ORIGEN placed the gospels in the order we still have them in today.

325 AD ATHANASIUS, East in the council of Niacea referred to all 27 books of the New Testament calling them the springs of salvation

By 170 AD the whole church from Asia to Africa had in their possession the completed Bible (2 peter was still considered).
All, the early church from the first to second century show they were familiar with twenty one of the twenty seven New Testament books which is demonstrated by their writings and quotations. By this time period the Apocrypha was not part of the Canon
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#459703 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
They did not see them as authentic..I have not read them.But J may..
However I know what I need to about Jesus ..He saved me by His sacrifice .
God gave His Only begotten Son so I may live ...
No, I'm afraid that's not the reason for the rejection of the Septuagint. Where exactly did you hear such a thing? Christ and the Apostles referenced the Septuagint numerous times throughout the NT. That's just a fact, Rose.

Did you know that the proper name for those books which the protestants removed from the Bible is deuterocanonical? Protestants use the incorrect term of apocrypha in the pejorative sense. There are, in fact, apocryphal writings which give valuable information about Christ and His early church, but they were not included in the Canon of Scripture.

You might find this helpful:

5 Myths about 7 Books
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologe...
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#459704 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>

But the books we have teach us what we need to know
YEP! They taught you that if you love that Jew ... he will be "obligated" to in turn love you.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#459705 Jul 7, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
I truly don't understand how the Catholics can claim that they "gave the world" the Bible??
Constantine the emperor gave the Catholics all the power over other religions.

Had the Catholics not approved of what was compiled in the new testament, they would have had the opportunity and the support from the emperor to compile another book ... but they didn't ... because they approved of what was in the new testament.

That is common sense.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#459706 Jul 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
Where does the Bible say Mary is the "Mother of God"?
Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, says "Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" (Lk 1:43) This passage gives us a title for Mary. She is "mother of my Lord." After Jesus was born the Bible says:
"And going into the house they [the Magi] saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him" (Mt 2:11 my emphasis).
The Bible calls her by her name, "Mary," and by her title "mother" while the passage calls Jesus by the title "child," which puts him in relation to her at the very moment the Magi worshipped him. They weren't kneeling because He was a baby, but because He was God. Jesus didn't become divine some time later in life. I think the Bible was trying to teach us who Mary is in relation to Jesus (God). She is his Mother even when he is being worshipped as God, making her "Mother of God."
Catholics think the title "Mother of God" is Biblical. In a special way, she is mother of the incarnate God, who is fully God. He was always God, and Mary gave birth to him as such. Today, Catholics don't have a problem kneeling in Mary's presence either. She is as much with Jesus today as she was on that day when she held him and the Magi kneeled in her presence to worship of him. When we kneel in the presence of Mary it is because she is with her Son, Jesus.
ME;
NOW USING THE THOUGHTS(IF YOU CAN CALL THEM THOUGHTS,LOL) OF THIS FALSE THEOLOGY.
BY SAYING THAT MARY, WHO WAS THE SURROGATE FOR THE BIRTH OF JESUS, mother of god< then since she sated very clearly that Joseph was His father, when she left him behind,
we can safely conclude with their rationale, that joseph is father of god.
that is what happens when a religion turns from the Truth and now becomes Cultlike with its many sexual deviants leading them over the centuries
Oh please not again ..She was His mother .

Bible says so .And makes clear she was nit conceived by Joseph .

Why not just leave it at that

That does not mean we worship her.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#459707 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Marge did you get my post about using Firefox instead of IE.
THE newer IE versions sometimes mess up computers a bit older .
I set my updates to ask me ..I have Windows seven and don t get the new IE ...But then I always usr MOZILLA FIREFOX.
IT updates just fine. And is much better
Like I have an older 3 model of IPhone ..Eli not get the new Ios 6
Firefox also has its share of problems, unfortunately. There's an incompatibility issue with Flash Player that's been going on for at least a year now (they're pushing Chrome). It crashes all the time. I was able to work around it for a while, but no longer. A lot of people left Firefox because of it. You're right about IE, it's awful.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459708 Jul 7, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyway you want to slice it....it does not change the facts:
If I have told you once, I have told you a dozen times. The first, most basic rule, in the art of lying, is not to tell a lie that can be easily proven as such...
You first make a statement about the blood of Christ...you then deny having said such...I show you your own words that proves you said what I say you said...and for that I am an idiot!!!!?????
You're an idiot because when you're proven wrong you twist and gyrate and dance the protestant jig to avoid admitting it.

My statement was " I don't know a single Catholic who has never received the blood of Christ." Which means every Catholic I have ever known has received the precious blood of Christ in the Eucharist.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#459709 Jul 7, 2013
It's common awareness that Catholics used whatever pleased them from other religions to compile the data in the new testament and then added whatever else suited them.

But that was common practice in all religions that plagiarized other authors words to suit their own religious dogmatic "impulses."

Following is but one example, concerning Thomas Aquinas.
>>>>>>> >>

Philosophy and Theology

Many contemporary philosophers are unsure how to read Thomas. He was in his primary and official profession a theologian. Nonetheless, we find among his writings works anyone would recognize as philosophical and the dozen commentaries on Aristotle increasingly enjoy the respect and interest of Aristotelian scholars. Even within theological works as such there are extended discussions that are easily read as possessing a philosophical character. So his best known work, the Summa theologiae, is often cited by philosophers when Thomas's position on this or that issue is sought. How can a theological work provide grist for philosophical mills? How did Thomas distinguish between philosophy and theology?

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aquinas/#Th...
marge

Leesburg, GA

#459710 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Marge did you get my post about using Firefox instead of IE.
THE newer IE versions sometimes mess up computers a bit older .
I set my updates to ask me ..I have Windows seven and don t get the new IE ...But then I always usr MOZILLA FIREFOX.
IT updates just fine. And is much better
Like I have an older 3 model of IPhone ..Eli not get the new Ios 6
Thanks Rosesz, I shouldn't complain we have only had to buy 4 computers in our lifetime, the first one was used and the other three still work fine. The men here are all computer tech savy so they can fix anything.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459711 Jul 7, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
Where does the Bible say Mary is the "Mother of God"?
Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist, says "Who am I that the mother of my Lord should come to me?" (Lk 1:43) This passage gives us a title for Mary. She is "mother of my Lord." After Jesus was born the Bible says:
"And going into the house they [the Magi] saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him" (Mt 2:11 my emphasis).
The Bible calls her by her name, "Mary," and by her title "mother" while the passage calls Jesus by the title "child," which puts him in relation to her at the very moment the Magi worshipped him. They weren't kneeling because He was a baby, but because He was God. Jesus didn't become divine some time later in life. I think the Bible was trying to teach us who Mary is in relation to Jesus (God). She is his Mother even when he is being worshipped as God, making her "Mother of God."
Catholics think the title "Mother of God" is Biblical. In a special way, she is mother of the incarnate God, who is fully God. He was always God, and Mary gave birth to him as such. Today, Catholics don't have a problem kneeling in Mary's presence either. She is as much with Jesus today as she was on that day when she held him and the Magi kneeled in her presence to worship of him. When we kneel in the presence of Mary it is because she is with her Son, Jesus.
ME;
NOW USING THE THOUGHTS(IF YOU CAN CALL THEM THOUGHTS,LOL) OF THIS FALSE THEOLOGY.
BY SAYING THAT MARY, WHO WAS THE SURROGATE FOR THE BIRTH OF JESUS, mother of god< then since she sated very clearly that Joseph was His father, when she left him behind,
we can safely conclude with their rationale, that joseph is father of god.
that is what happens when a religion turns from the Truth and now becomes Cultlike with its many sexual deviants leading them over the centuries
Biblical truth;

- Elizabeth calls Mary "mother of my Lord".
- Mary is Jesus's mother
- Jesus is God

What kind of corner store "bible" cult would deny this ?
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#459712 Jul 7, 2013
Theology IS philosophy!

Theologians were and ARE self-idolizing "grand" masters of philosophy!

They never had to prove that even one statement they uttered or wrote was based on truth.

How CONvenient!
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#459713 Jul 7, 2013
Religion amounts to "I adore and idolize my OWN theology, and I detest and deplore your theology."

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#459714 Jul 7, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm afraid that's not the reason for the rejection of the Septuagint. Where exactly did you hear such a thing? Christ and the Apostles referenced the Septuagint numerous times throughout the NT. That's just a fact, Rose.
Did you know that the proper name for those books which the protestants removed from the Bible is deuterocanonical? Protestants use the incorrect term of apocrypha in the pejorative sense. There are, in fact, apocryphal writings which give valuable information about Christ and His early church, but they were not included in the Canon of Scripture.
You might find this helpful:
5 Myths about 7 Books
http://catholiceducation.org/articles/apologe...
How is it that "Jesus and the apostles" referenced a book(writing) that was not translated into Greek as "Septuagint"?... the time of Augustine of Hippo (354430 CE)...
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#459715 Jul 7, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>==========
In A.D. 363, THE COUNCIL OF LAODICEA (Catholic) stated that only the Old Testament (along with the Apocrypha) and the 27 books of the New Testament were to be read in the churches.
==========
BUT
FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT, THE PROCESS OF THE RECOGNITION AND COLLECTION BEGAN IN THE FIRST CENTURIES OF THE CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
VERY EARLY ON, SOME OF THE NEW TESTAMENT BOOKS WERE BEING RECOGNIZED.
PRIOR TO A.D. 80 THE DIDACHE was in circulation. In it contains knowledge of Matthew, Luke, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians and I Peter, and possibly Hebrews and Jude
A.D. 95 CLEMENT OF ROME West mentioned at least eight New Testament books
A.D. 108 POLYCARP,East (Smyrna now in Turkey)a disciple of John the apostle, acknowledged 15 books. Polycarp's Letter to the Philippians written prior to A.D. 117, quotes John, Acts, Romans, I Corinthians, II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, II Thessalonians, I Timothy, II Timothy, Hebrews, James and I John.
A.D. 115 IGNATIUS OF ANTIOCH (East) acknowledged about seven books The letters of Ignatius of Antioch, all written before A.D. 117,(his death) refer to Matthew, John, Romans, Galatians, Ephesians,
Philippians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, Titus, and possibly eleven other New Testament books.
100-147. JUSTIN MARTYR,(West)mentions the Gospels as being four in number and quotes from them and some of the epistles of Paul and Revelation. Born in Samaria (the middle portion of Israel, between Galilee and Judea) of pagan Greek parents
A.D. 185 IRENAEUS, East quoted from all New Testament books except Philemon, Jude, James and 3 John.
Irenaeus mentioned 21 books A Greek from Smyrna in Asia Minor,now &#304;zmir, Turkey
160-240. TERTULLIAN, West contemporary of Origen and Clement, mentions all the New Testament books except 2 Peter, James and 2 John. From Carthage in the Roman province of Africa
165-220. CLEMENT, OF ALEXANDRIA, East names all the books of the New Testament except Philemon, James, 2 Peter and 3 John. In addition we are told by Eusebius, who had the works of Clement, that he gave explanations and quotations from all the canonical books.
185-254. ORIGEN East born at Alexandria, names all the books of both the Old and New Testaments.
100 YEARS BEFORE THE COUNCIL OF NIACEA ORIGEN placed the gospels in the order we still have them in today.
325 AD ATHANASIUS, East in the council of Niacea referred to all 27 books of the New Testament calling them the springs of salvation
By 170 AD the whole church from Asia to Africa had in their possession the completed Bible (2 peter was still considered).
All, the early church from the first to second century show they were familiar with twenty one of the twenty seven New Testament books which is demonstrated by their writings and quotations. By this time period the Apocrypha was not part of the Canon
Hermi, I truly don't understand why you would post a protestant website which uses the term "apocrypha" and denies the canonicity of the Septuagint in direct contradiction to Orthodox teaching.

Location hidden

#459716 Jul 7, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Biblical truth;
- Elizabeth calls Mary "mother of my Lord".
- Mary is Jesus's mother
- Jesus is God
What kind of corner store "bible" cult would deny this ?
and Mary called Joseph , His father.

so now we have a never ending cycle.

except for one thing.

Jesus said before Abraham was, I am.

thereby indicating that he had no mother.

mary was a surrogate mother in that fashion ONLY.

Jesus was still God, even in the womb.

mary was never His mother in the strictest sense, just as joseph was never His father either.

I understand that easily, catholics are blind and cant see anything, or else they wouldn't be a catholic.

Location hidden

#459717 Jul 7, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please not again ..She was His mother .
Bible says so .And makes clear she was nit conceived by Joseph .
Why not just leave it at that
That does not mean we worship her.
READ MY LIPS!!!!

SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!

I will post what I wish, whenever I want.

if you dont like it, feel free to leave at any time.

you were never given an invitation to visit us, you don't need an invitation to Leave.
Human Being

Kinder, LA

#459718 Jul 7, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obvious you don't have any faith that your supposed god knows what's best for you or others ... or you wouldn't be trying to manipulate the supposed god's will.
Silly people!
One minute you preach that god knows what's best, and the next minute you believe you have to pray so that he does from your opinions what YOU believe is best.
June:

If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, you shall ask what you will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
(John 15:7,8)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 15 hr Married in 10,654
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov 12 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov 8 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov 2 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct 30 The Bible Student 1
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct '17 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct '17 The Bible Student 81
More from around the web