Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Jul 10, 2007 Read more: CBC News 583,158
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#457181 Jun 28, 2013
Trappings of Religions

And in the morning, It will be foul weather today: for the sky is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
Faith in Jesus Christ as Saviour transforms us from a shallow meaningless person into one filled with the Spirit of God. If we are born again and the Spirit resides within us, our religion ought to be as full of meaning as our lives are full of the Spirit. How terrible to see many religions in which there is absolute meaninglessness because of spiritual ritualism. Jesus encountered this very same thing in His day as well.
The Pharisees were always guilty of practicing an empty religion. This is why John the Baptist called them a "generation of vipers" (Matthew 3:7). The Pharisees were constantly interested in keeping the ceremonial law, but they had the wrong heart attitude toward God. When Jesus called Matthew to discipleship, the Pharisees were right there to question the Lord's disciples, "Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?" (Matthew 9:11). When He cast a demon out of a man who was dumb, the Pharisees accused Jesus of casting out devils through the power of the prince of the devils (Matthew 9:34).
Always the Pharisees were seeking a sign from Jesus that He was the Messiah. Time and again He refused to give them such a sign saying that the sign of Jonah was all they would need. His resurrection after a death of three days would be the great sign to them that He was indeed the Messiah. If they would not believe that sign, neither would they believe any other.
At Magdala Jesus again encountered the Pharisees, this time in league with the Sadducees and Herodians, who again asked Him for a sign. As before, Jesus refused to give them such a sign but at the same time He taught them something about the emptiness and blindness of their spiritual ritualism. Jesus noted that the Pharisees and Sadducees could read the weather signs in the heavens. He said, "When it is evening you say, it will be fair weather for the sky is red." This is comparable to our axiom, "Red sky at night, sailor's delight." But Jesus continued, "And in the morning it will be foul weather today: for the sky is red and lowring" (Matthew 16:3). Or, as we would say, "Red sky in morning, sailors take warning."
Jesus then concluded with the assessment, "O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times?" These religious leaders could read the skies with the best astronomers and mariners, but could not recognize that Jesus was the Messiah. This was where their expertise should have been, but because they had been involved so long with empty formalism instead of meaningful activity in carrying God's love to the world, they did not have the eyes of faith with which to see Jesus as their Saviour.
An item from a church bulletin clearly points out the inconsistency of pious religion which does not follow through in meeting the needs of people. It is a satirical rephrasing of Matthew 25: "I was famished and you formed a humanitarian club to discuss my hunger...I was imprisoned and you crept off quietly to your church to pray for my release. I was naked and you debated the morality of my unseemly appearance. I was sick and you knew it, yet did nothing but thank God for your own health. I was homeless and you preached to me of the spiritual shelter of the love of God. I was lonely and you left me by myself while you went and prayed for me. You seemed so holy, so close to God; but I am still very hungry, desolate, and cold!"
.cont
LTM

Chelmsford, Canada

#457182 Jun 28, 2013
cont
While the Pharisees had all the trappings of religion, all the robes, all the religious paraphernalia, they had none of the heart, none of what true religion is all about. Yet today as well there are many churches and denominations that have all the trap-pings of religion but none of the heart of the Lord Jesus. It is up to each of us to make sure that we attend faithfully those churches which show the heart of the Lord Jesus and not the heart of the Pharisee. Is your church following Jesus or following the Pharisees? Is your religion practical? Make it a point to pray for your church today.
MORNING HYMN
All Thy works with joy surround Thee,
Earth and Heav'n reflect Thy rays,
Stars and angels sing around Thee,
Center of unbroken praise
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457183 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic governments in catholic countries will protect their catholic church. What you miss is the moral and ethical dimensions.
If there was no abuse why is this even an issue.
The government sent me to school against my will. Am I entitled to compensation?
In this matter, it certainly appears that the government is indeed compensating those sent to a place against their will.

Again, the actual report cites that at the laundries the Orders ran, there was no sexual abuse, no beatings, the workplaces passed inspection in accord with contemporary factory standards and that the laundries did not reap profits from operations. It was cited that the work was hard and that the nuns were strict and ran the places that way.

You mentioned "abuse", not I. I'm just asking why you demand money from the Orders in compensation.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#457184 Jun 28, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
You received the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ in the Eucharist nonetheless.

No way. Why does the CC deny the wine/blood to ANYONE?

KM
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#457185 Jun 28, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
None of the early writings show Jesus doing any miracles at all. Not until the "universal church" do we find any injection of him performing "miracles".
That is "elaboration"(fabric ation) at it's best.
Black Thunder 42

I am not sure of what you mean by early writings.

Most think the Book of Mark,(written by him as a kind of recorder of Peter), makes Peter being an eyewitness. And the Book of Mark records miracles.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457186 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Catholic governments in catholic countries will protect their catholic church. What you miss is the moral and ethical dimensions.
If there was no abuse why is this even an issue.
The government sent me to school against my will. Am I entitled to compensation?
....and Kenny's not exactly on the Vatican's Christmas Card list.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457187 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
Communion means "the act or an instance of sharing" or as above "participation". If your bread and grape juice is just bread and grape juice you're communing or "participating" with bread and grape juice. If it's Christ's body and blood (it's not in protestantism) you're communing or "participating" in Christ's body and blood. If it's just a symbol, all you're getting is a symbol, it's not the real thing.
Protestants are 'communing' with each other in REMEMBRANCE OF HIM. His Body is being 'connected'. The bread and juice remind us of what He has done for us, and Who it is that MAKES US ONE.
We stay in touch with Him AND each other. Beautiful moments.
KayMarie
Aren't you all "communing with each other in remembrance of Him" once you walk in the door to the service?

Calling the mid-service consumption of bread and juice "communion" is redundant, is it not? You might as well have a bowl of cereal, so the Cap'n Crunch and milk can remind you of Him.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457188 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
In this matter, it certainly appears that the government is indeed compensating those sent to a place against their will.
Again, the actual report cites that at the laundries the Orders ran, there was no sexual abuse, no beatings, the workplaces passed inspection in accord with contemporary factory standards and that the laundries did not reap profits from operations. It was cited that the work was hard and that the nuns were strict and ran the places that way.
You mentioned "abuse", not I. I'm just asking why you demand money from the Orders in compensation.
Are all the people who claim they were abused in the Magdalene laundries liars?

Scale of abuse in Magdalene laundries ‘will never be known unless State inquiry is extended’

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457189 Jun 28, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
You received the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ in the Eucharist nonetheless.
KM
Non-Catholics are denied the Eucharist as they don't believe in it. It's a sin to profane the Eucharist and for one to receive it unworthily.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#457190 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why your imaginary god allows a hell in his supposed all-powerful kingdom?
I believe that you are basically a kind person Robert F ... who in turn needs to believe that a god loves you.
I don't have that need in me.
If something doesn't make sense to me, I won't be satisfied by lame promises from silly old theologians that had their own reasons for their "divide and conquer" teachings.
June:

I consider you a kind person as well.

But you get your dander up a lot.

And your need to make people think is part of your kindness.
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457191 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
With all respect due the nuns, they don't make the call (unless they do indeed at your parish).
I'm quite sure that these same nuns would have told you 40 years ago that "guitar masses" were here to stay.
Thanks be to the Almighty and Merciful that we're not subject to that cacophony any longer.
Yes, thank the Lord. Both were retired, visiting from out east. It got me to thinking about the apostolic visitation and how timely it is.
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457192 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
"All" a favor??? Do you mean to imply that every reader on the forum agrees that you are indeed a favorite of the one and only god???
You fool!
Every person in every religion on earth that adores the teachings of their own cult, believes THEY are favorites of gods.
That mental blight is nothing NEW in religion.
I guess not "all"...maybe jethro will give you his email address.
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457193 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....and Kenny's not exactly on the Vatican's Christmas Card list.
He must still pander to the catholics in Ireland because they hold the key to is political career,but the way the catholic church have abused the people of Ireland they must be getting pretty sick of it by now,especially now they've got to pick up the bill for the rape of their children by catholic institutes.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457194 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Are all the people who claim they were abused in the Magdalene laundries liars?
Scale of abuse in Magdalene laundries ‘will never be known unless State inquiry is extended’
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-...
The article you cite here (and apparently failed to actually read) says:

"In a research paper published yesterday, Amnesty International said a State inquiry into historical institutional abuse in Northern Ireland ignores people who were “molested in churches, church halls, private homes and other locations outside children’s institutions"

The victims interviewed for the government report didn't claim sexual abuse at the laundries, so no one's lying since no one's claimed it.

The government report, dealing specifically with the laundries, did not incorporate claims of molestation made OUTSIDE the laundries. AI affirms, oddly here, that this is indeed the case; that the report on the laundries actually deals only with the laundries.

So, no one seems to be lying, but AI seems to want the report on the laundries to somehow cover matters that didn't occur at the laundries.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457195 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
He must still pander to the catholics in Ireland because they hold the key to is political career,but the way the catholic church have abused the people of Ireland they must be getting pretty sick of it by now,especially now they've got to pick up the bill for the rape of their children by catholic institutes.
A lie remains a lie, no matter how often its repeated.

The government report cites no sexual abuse on part of the Orders respective to the Magdalene laundries.

I cited it for you and it's available for all to read.
Man

Saint-denis, France

#457196 Jun 28, 2013
1/the result precedes the cause:
genesis:
[3] And God said: Let there be light! And there was light.[4] And God saw that the light was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.[5] God called the light Day, and the darkness he called night. And there was evening and there was morning were the first day.
==========
[16] And God made two great lights, the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to rule the night: he made &#8203;&#8203;the stars also.[17] And God set them in the firmament of heaven to give light upon the earth,[18] to rule the day and the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. God saw that it was good.[19] Thus there was evening and there was morning were the fourth day
==========

qst: how it is that the result (day / night ==> 1 day) precedes the cause (sun ===> 4th day)?
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457197 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The article you cite here (and apparently failed to actually read) says:
"In a research paper published yesterday, Amnesty International said a State inquiry into historical institutional abuse in Northern Ireland ignores people who were “molested in churches, church halls, private homes and other locations outside children’s institutions"
The victims interviewed for the government report didn't claim sexual abuse at the laundries, so no one's lying since no one's claimed it.
The government report, dealing specifically with the laundries, did not incorporate claims of molestation made OUTSIDE the laundries. AI affirms, oddly here, that this is indeed the case; that the report on the laundries actually deals only with the laundries.
So, no one seems to be lying, but AI seems to want the report on the laundries to somehow cover matters that didn't occur at the laundries.
Hundreds of victims of clerical and Magdalene laundry abuse in Northern Ireland have been left out of a new public inquiry designed to probe past wrongdoing, campaigners said.

Some women had their babies taken off them, were forced to scrub floors or locked in their rooms for hours in institutions for women.

What part of this do you not recognize as abuse?
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457198 Jun 28, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
Communion means "the act or an instance of sharing" or as above "participation". If your bread and grape juice is just bread and grape juice you're communing or "participating" with bread and grape juice. If it's Christ's body and blood (it's not in protestantism) you're communing or "participating" in Christ's body and blood. If it's just a symbol, all you're getting is a symbol, it's not the real thing.
Protestants are 'communing' with each other in REMEMBRANCE OF HIM. His Body is being 'connected'. The bread and juice remind us of what He has done for us, and Who it is that MAKES US ONE.
We stay in touch with Him AND each other. Beautiful moments.
KayMarie
So it's just special "beautiful moments" bread and grape juice, not, as Jesus said, His body and blood. I think I already knew that.
Anthony MN

Hopkins, MN

#457199 Jun 28, 2013
who="Anthony MN"
KM
We don't.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#457200 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Leviticus 17:11, "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement fore your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life."
When the Romans don't get the wine at their
re-crucifying of Jesus, their expressioin is "mass", they get NOTHING! The LIFE is in the blood.
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
You're just like your buddy Confrint. You scour the Bible looking for scripture verses to apply them wherever you see fit.
Lev 17:11 does not undo Jesus Christs own words: "THIS IS MY BODY".
Read the Scrpiture. Jesus held up BREAD and said THIS IS MY BODY. Was Jesus declaring His body was made of bread? Or, the other side of the coin would be Jesus was lying to the disciples because He did not hold up His body, He held up a piece of bread, and declared it to be His LITERAL body? Which is it? It cannot be both.

Matthew 26:26, "Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; THIS IS MY BODY."

Mark 14:11, "And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, "Take; THIS IS MY BODY."

Luke 22:19, "And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "THIS IS MY BODY, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me."

I Corinthians 11:23-24, 23 "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "THIS IS MY BODY which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 30 min barry 84,043
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Cultastic 9,179
News A most reluctant crusader 4 hr Polaris 11
News Armenian Genocide: Turkey To Convert Hagia Sofi... 13 hr SpaceBlues 6
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... Sat Erkek Turk 19
News Turkish Leaders Invoke Crusades, Inquisition in... Apr 18 Chuck 22
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Apr 16 ELIAS IBARRA 51
More from around the web