Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 690647 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#457419 Jun 29, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Chess Jurist"

Try reading Mark instead of the intellectual know-it-alls.
Mar 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
Mar 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.
Mar 16:19 So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Mar 16:20 And they (THE APOSTLES) went forth, and preached every where, THE LORD WORKING WITH THEM, AND CONFIRMING THE WORD with signs following. Amen.
Well, actually, those were my thoughts.

But you realize you are quoting from material that was added to Mark to make up for it's abrupt or missing ending, right?

The two oldest, most reliable copies of Mark end at the discovery of Jesus’ empty tomb in Mark 16:8.

Let's see what the "intellectual know-it-alls" think about your quote.

Robert Miller says the verses you quoted clearly represent a later addition that was designed to “smooth out the abruptness of [verse] 16:8 and to harmonize Mark with the ending of the other gospels.”*

In the words of Bruce Metzger:
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>The vocabulary and style of verses 9-20 are non-Markan [examples omitted]. The connection between ver. 8 and verses 9-20 is so awkward that it is difficult to believe that the evangelist [Mark] intended the section to be a continuation of the Gospel. Thus, the subject of ver. 8 is the women, whereas Jesus is the presumed subject in ver. 9; in ver. 9 Mary Magdalene is identified even though she has been mentioned only a few lines before (15.47 and 16.1); the other women of verses 1-8 are now forgotten; the use [and the position of certain Greek words] are appropriate at the beginning of a comprehensive narrative, but they are ill-suited in a continuation of verses 1-8. In short, all these features indicate that the section was added by someone who knew a form of Mark that ended abruptly with verse 8 and who wished to supply a more appropriate conclusion. In view of the inconcinnities between verses 1-8 and 9-20, it is … likely that the section was excerpted from another document, dating perhaps from the first half of the second century.**
Sorry for your loss, son.

*Miller, Robert J., The Complete Gospels: Annotated Scholars Version (Polebridge Press, 1994), p 454.

**Bruce Metzger, A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament (Stuttgart, 2005), p. 104-5.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#457420 Jun 29, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic church says Peter was in Rome for 25 years(41-66 AD)...the bible totally contradicts that.
I did not know they claimed that.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#457421 Jun 29, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad you found them interesting. Father Barron is excellent!
He puts the "religion" naysayers in their proper place. Only those who have no understanding decry it. Christianity is not, nor ever was, Jesus, the Bible, and me. Never.
"Christianity is not, nor ever was, Jesus, the Bible. and me. Never."

Excellent post Regina.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#457422 Jun 29, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
That answers not my question: When I were a Catholic...the congregation only got the "body"...why were they not also given the "blood"????
Because either way, you're receiving the Lord.

Consider the passage of the two men on the road to Emmaus.(Luke 24). They didn't recognize Him nor the Scriptures until Jesus sat down, pulled out some bread, blessed it and gave it to them.
On this occasion, Christ didn't use wine and the partaking was no less profound.

"They ran to the eleven and told how Christ was revealed to them in the breaking of the bread"
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#457423 Jun 29, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean 2 Peter, right?
Of course, that was forged in the 2nd century.
But you probably want to believe that spurious letter, huh?
Agreed, there is evidence 2Peter was not written by Peter, but that doesn't make it a forgery in the eyes of the Church. Same with the Book of Hebrews. There is evidence it wasn't penned by the Apostle Paul, instead by one of His Disciples. Perhaps Clement of Rome?
Its important to understand what the word of God is. If 2Peter and Hebrews were not composed by Peter and Paul, it doesn't make it less the word of God in the eyes of the Catholic Church. To Protestants, it would be yet another blow.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#457424 Jun 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
"Christianity is not, nor ever was, Jesus, the Bible. and me. Never."
Excellent post Regina.
It is Jesus and each one of us. He speaks to each heart ..

The Spirit moved us to listen to HIS call.
He can put people in our path..or
use any earthly thing to make us more receptive to that still small voice that calls us.
It's not that He was not there all a ling but more like we wake to His presence.

Then we use the bible and church to learn.more about Him.

A person sitting at home can hear a tv minister. Or MOTHER Angelica

And have a saving experience in their own h one.

Or go to church with a friend

Or read a book that opens the way.

But it us all God's doing.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#457425 Jun 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, there is evidence 2Peter was not written by Peter, but that doesn't make it a forgery in the eyes of the Church. Same with the Book of Hebrews. There is evidence it wasn't penned by the Apostle Paul, instead by one of His Disciples. Perhaps Clement of Rome?
Its important to understand what the word of God is. If 2Peter and Hebrews were not composed by Peter and Paul, it doesn't make it less the word of God in the eyes of the Catholic Church. To Protestants, it would be yet another blow.
Not being either, I am unsure why a Catholic or a protestant should view a pseudograph differently. It is a forgery, a text falsely written in the name of another. It is a lie. And if your canon is based on lies, so is your faith.
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#457426 Jun 29, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Not being either, I am unsure why a Catholic or a protestant should view a pseudograph differently. It is a forgery, a text falsely written in the name of another. It is a lie. And if your canon is based on lies, so is your faith.
well first of all, there is no hardcore proof the authors were not the Apostles themselves. So don't teach that as fact. There is some evidence but no proof.
However, if Hebrews was written by one of Paul's Disciples on behalf of Paul; within the fold of the Church, then it wouldn't be a forgery.
Same with 2Peter. Peter could have instructed his Disciple to pen a letter. To us, the texts are still the inspired word of God.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#457427 Jun 29, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>I fish an catch you continuously lying, you have no historical proof, if you had it you would post it, you do not have a true apostolic church, you have nothing! but perversion and corruption.
Believe what you want Jethro8! Makes no difference to me!!...I'll continue as always,(as millions adn millions of other Catholics also do) to stick with over 2000 years of the Proven, authenticated and verifiable TRUTH of TRUE CHURCH HISTORY and the TRUE INTERPRETATION of the Bible by the Early Church Fathers (who gave you Protestants) the bible that so editoralize, and mis-interpret to your own "destruction"!.... Rather than waste my time discussing or debating ridiculous "bible only (self opinionated) Protestant" nonsense---my time is much "better spent" at Daily Mass, reading and studying the scriptures, receiving Christs TRUE Body and Blood (daily) in the Eucharist, receiving the Sacraments and in the Eucharistic Adoration Prayer Chapel (each night) praying for the TRUE CONVERSION and SALVATION IN JESUS CHRIST---- of bible only (catholic bashing) Protestants, atheists and agnostics,
Clay

Saint Paul, MN

#457428 Jun 29, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
It is Jesus and each one of us. He speaks to each heart ..
The Spirit moved us to listen to HIS call.
He can put people in our path..or
use any earthly thing to make us more receptive to that still small voice that calls us.
It's not that He was not there all a ling but more like we wake to His presence.
Then we use the bible and church to learn.more about Him.
A person sitting at home can hear a tv minister. Or MOTHER Angelica
And have a saving experience in their own h one.
Or go to church with a friend
Or read a book that opens the way.
But it us all God's doing.
There is a fine line between a person 'having a saving experience' and a person picking up a Bible to determine their own Christianity.
No one doubts your encounters with Christ thru prayer and scripture study, Rose.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#457429 Jun 29, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
here's your true church HOJO:A senior Catholic cleric has been arrested on suspicion of fraud and corruption in connection with a sweeping probe of the scandal-plagued Vatican bank, Italian media reported Friday.
Contrary to earlier media reports, the arrested cleric Nunzio Scarano is not a bishop but a priest from Salerno in southern Italy who is called "monsignor" in recognition of his seniority at the Holy See, Vatican senior media advisor Greg Burke said.
Scarano was arrested after an investigation into the Institute for Works of Religion (IOR), as the bank is known, unearthed a suspected international fraud scheme, reports said.
The senior cleric was suspended from his position as a member of the administration that manages the Vatican's assets (the APSA) "about a month ago, after his superiors learnt about an investigation into his activities," Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi said.
Scarano was arrested along with a former member of the Italian secret services and a financier, reports said.
Police declined to confirm the arrests, saying a press conference would be held later on Friday.
ANSA news agency said the three arrested men were suspected of plotting to illegally move 20 million euros ($26 million) from Switzerland to Italy.
The money allegedly belonged to friends of Scarano and was brought into Italy on board a private jet belonging to Italian former secret service agent Giovanni Maria Zito, the reports said.Zito purportedly received 400,000 euros for the service.
According to the daily La Repubblica, Scarano is also under investigation by the Salerno prosecutor on suspicion of money laundering.
"They called him Monsignor 500... because of the great number of 500 euro notes he had at his disposition," which he allegedly used to launder money for friends in southern Italy, the daily said.
It added that it was an initial investigation into Scarano's bank account at the IOR which led to the discovery of the suspected racket.
MO JETHRO!!!!!! That is "your own" distorted "personal opinion" of the Catholic Church......... As usual----you continue to have "no idea" as to what you are talking about---which is "no surprise" to ANY of us Catholics on this forum--or to ANY of the 1.168 Billion Catholics around the world!!!!
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457430 Jun 29, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Since I have nit been a Catholic for decades..
I just know I feel closer to Jesus than I ever did as Catholic ..
I can really talk to Him as in fellowship..even about little things and know He is listening..I c an say regulatory pray e r such as t he Lord's prayer ..nut this is different.
Well, you can't get closer to Jesus than eating His body and drinking His blood. Sounds like you did a lot of things by rote but had little faith. I'm reading more and more on these threads how people are mistaking fellowship for faith and love of God. They want to be entertained when they go to church, they're there to get, not to give. Too much "I", not enough God.
I know it's 'religiously correct' these days to say how wonderful it is that you finally found God when you left the Church, but the truth is you were the one who failed to recognize Him. His Church brought Him to you, and you to Him, but apparently you weren't interested. It's a shame.

Thanks for your response.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#457431 Jun 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Since Peter was a fisherman by trade and received the basic education before His bar mitzvah...isn't it more l I kept that a lot if his letters were dictated to another disciple ..such as John Mark..

Would still be from him..But dome are called as scribes..some are not
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457432 Jun 29, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Judges?? You mean those stupid emoticons..?
T here are a few people. One especially who live to Use themm..
I agree, they are stupid. Yeah,'someone' does seem to love using them. You won't see them all day, then all of a sudden they show up on certain Catholic posts. There's a definite pattern. Another childish idea from topix. Oh, and in spite of what he/she said, I don't know how to change them. I read about it a while back on some other threads, and noticed what was going on here. No big deal.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#457433 Jun 29, 2013
marge wrote:
June! Watch the clip and watch the movie with me when it comes out.
One fellow (in order to fit a god into the equation) stated that evolution was "part" of god's plan.

Humans have a need to feel that they can solve all mysteries, and in so doing end up appearing as right-fighting idiots.

:)

I don't know the answers, so I don't frustrate my self and others by claiming that I DO know.

As do others, I have opinions of what makes sense to me, but I realize that my concept of sense might actually be nothing more than nonsense.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457434 Jun 29, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a fine line between a person 'having a saving experience' and a person picking up a Bible to determine their own Christianity.
No one doubts your encounters with Christ thru prayer and scripture study, Rose.
Funny how these buzz phrases came into being. Evangelical fundamentalism came on the scene a few dozen years ago and all of a sudden Christianity was reduced to warm fuzzies and casseroles. The saints who are alive in heaven beholding the face of God never once spoke of a "saving experience" or "personal relationship". They did just fine with their faith in and love of Him, and lived on His presence in the Holy Eucharist. Some had profound conversions, but never indulged themselves as these folks do. They believed and obeyed and prayed the Our Father, and had a more intense "experience" with the Lord than these people could ever dream of. I just shake my head at these folks anymore. Not much else one can do.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#457435 Jun 29, 2013
If there just happens to be an all-powerful creator, and I am still aware after my physical body dies ... I will want an answer to why the all-knowing creator created a realm where it was necessary for all forms of life to go through such horrible suffering.

I won't expect any rewards for my questions ... but I WILL expect answers.

When little children are punished for unacceptable behavior, adults with any heart at all explain to the children WHY they are being punished.

If a creator exists, there is no excuse for such wretched behavior.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#457436 Jun 29, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you can't get closer to Jesus than eating His body and drinking His blood. Sounds like you did a lot of things by rote but had little faith. I'm reading more and more on these threads how people are mistaking fellowship for faith and love of God. They want to be entertained when they go to church, they're there to get, not to give. Too much "I", not enough God.
I know it's 'religiously correct' these days to say how wonderful it is that you finally found God when you left the Church, but the truth is you were the one who failed to recognize Him. His Church brought Him to you, and you to Him, but apparently you weren't interested. It's a shame.
Thanks for your response.
First Regina..I made it quite clear that I Left. I did everything I was supposed to by rote but had not the heartfelt saving grace..

However when I finally turned to Him ..it was nit by a feel good church .

It is a personal relationship eith my Lord and Saviour..And only GOD knows, who and who does not nit have that saving grace.

Not your church and respectfully NOT YOU.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

#457437 Jun 29, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, they are stupid. Yeah,'someone' does seem to love using them. You won't see them all day, then all of a sudden they show up on certain Catholic posts. There's a definite pattern. Another childish idea from topix. Oh, and in spite of what he/she said, I don't know how to change them. I read about it a while back on some other threads, and noticed what was going on here. No big deal.
As I said I know if one poster who plasters them on anything she sees non Catholic..But lol who cares enough to change them.!!!
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#457438 Jun 29, 2013
When a son shot himself to death right in front of his mother, after the shock of it all subsided a bit ... her comment was "What the f*ck did I ever DO to deserve this?"

That one act probably scarred her for the rest of her life.

If a creator exists, the creator knew ahead of time that drama would unfold, and THAT is cruel behavior!

If you want to worship such a supposed creator, you go for it. It's not on MY agenda.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 13 hr Married in 10,663
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov 12 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov 8 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov 2 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct 30 The Bible Student 1
News Pope Francis Denounces Gender Confirmation Surg... Oct '17 TerriB1 1
News Paul Is No Inventor of Christianity, Says Pope (Sep '08) Oct '17 The Bible Student 81
More from around the web