Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 695316 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#457133 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that the catholic church should have exemption from paying compensation to its countless abuse victims?
I don't know how this stuff works in Ireland.

What I mean is I didn't see where a civil judgment due to a lawsuit or a civil trial was held, so I didn't see where damages were ordered (to anyone-government OR Diocese).

What I've reviewed (and cited) appears to place primary liability with the Irish government, who administered (not ran; the orders ran them, the government administered them and sent the inmates to them) the asylums.
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457134 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
GOD LAID ALL OUR SINS UPON JESUS..READ WHAT TOOK PLACE AT CALVARY' CROSS
Isa 53:3 He/JESUS is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isa 53:4 Surely he/JESUS hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him/JESUS stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he/JESUS was wounded for our transgressions,
he/JESUS was bruised for our iniquities:
the chastisement of our peace was upon him/jESIS; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and
THE LORD HATH LAID UPON HIM/JESUS THE INIQUITY OF US ALL.
Isa 53:7 He/JESUS was oppressed, and he/JESUS was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he/JESUS is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
Isa 53:8 He/JESUS was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he/JESUS was cut off out of the land of the living:
for the transgression of my people was he/JS\ESUS stricken.
Isa 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him/JESUS; he hath put him to grief:
when thou shalt make his/JESUS soul an offering for sin,
he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and
the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Isa 53:11
He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
Isa 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors
Luke 22:19; 1 Cor. 11:24-25 - the translation of Jesus' words of consecration is "touto poieite tan eman anamnasin." Jesus literally said "offer this as my memorial sacrifice." The word “poiein”(do) refers to offering a sacrifice (see, e.g., Exodus 29:38-39, where God uses the same word – poieseis – regarding the sacrifice of the lambs on the altar). The word “anamnesis”(remembrance) also refers to a sacrifice which is really or actually made present in time by the power of God, as it reminds God of the actual event (see, e.g., Heb. 10:3; Num. 10:10). It is not just a memorial of a past event, but a past event made present in time.

In other words, the “sacrifice” is the “memorial” or “reminder.” If the Eucharist weren’t a sacrifice, Luke would have used the word “mnemosunon”(which is the word used to describe a nonsacrificial memorial. See, for example, Matt. 26:13; Mark 14:9; and especially Acts 10:4). So there are two memorials, one sacrificial (which Jesus instituted), and one non-sacrificial.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457135 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think the catholic church is also liable? they were the ones that were doing the abusing.
Did the inquest report declare them liable as it did the State?
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457136 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
And you, apparently you are nothing more than a cannibal eating the flesh of another human being. Good job! LOL LOL LOL
What happens to the "beloved eucharist" when you poop? When it looks back at you from the stool is it still Jesus? LOL LOL
Jesus is Glorified, He's not a human being like me and you(?).
Atheist Silurist

Manchester, UK

#457137 Jun 28, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the article you cite here reports that the paper "understands from sources that both the Sisters of Mercy and the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity of Refuge told the Government in advance of the Quirke Report being published on Wednesday, they would not be contributing money to the compensation fund."
....and then continues two paragraphs down:
"None of the orders made any comment on whether or not they would contribute to the scheme."
So, that issue is yet to be determined, per your cited source.
They should have no choice on whether they can choose to pay compensation or not,they should be made to contribute.
If they decide not to pay up for their crimes they should be closed down and have their assets striped. These institution get away with murder,any other institute would be on a list of ban organizations but because we have to respect superstitious bullshit called religion they seem to get a free pass. Child abuse is child abuse,even when it's done by depraved religious institutions.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457138 Jun 28, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
When I went to CC in the 50 and 60
There was,NO WINE except for the priest..only the wafer..
But Jesus is really and truly present, wholly and substantially in every particle and every drop, so you did receive all of Him.

I've always wondered how people who leave the faith feel about leaving Christ in the Eucharist. I just don't understand how one could do that. Don't you miss Him? Or did you never believe in the Real Presence to begin with? If you don't wish to answer, that's fine.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#457139 Jun 28, 2013
Leviticus 17:11, "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life."

When the Romans don't get the wine at their
re-crucifying of Jesus, their expressioin is "mass", they get NOTHING! The LIFE is in the blood.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457140 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe you are on the verge of a mental breakdown, and that a god will help you out, then a religious forum is not the place for you to be discussing religion.
You need to keep your belief in the supposed god "simple," and being on a forum discussing religion complicates your problem. It keeps on confusing you.
If you want "simple" ... I suggest you go for walks in nature ... imagine butterflies being free, and stay away from religious forums.
June:

Nervous exhaustion is a nice euphemism for mental breakdown. But if I suffered from nervous exhaustion by questioning myself, to recognize my motives, and foundations. And I demand of myself to understand answers. Then for me, I have become a better person because of it. Also, I can see it in others, and share it with them.

Some people, have few thoughts in their head, and go about in a haze, without a sense of responsibility. You can push them here or there, and they could care less, and complain much, as long as they are not held responsible or accountable.

There is a place for balance, and believe me, I spend a lot of time in smelling the roses. It took me most of my life, to learn how to pace myself.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#457141 Jun 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We're being blessed with very faithful bishops and priests nowadays. How do you feel about EMHCs? I'd be happy to do away with them.
Butting in here, but I'd also happily be rid of EMHCs.

I have no problem waiting a extra few minutes to receive from a priest.
Clay

Union, NJ

#457142 Jun 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
SOME WHERE I HEARD, OR SAW IT WRITTEN ...
.that the Apostle Peter
was supposed to be the first Pope
of the Roman Catholic Church,,
I POSTED HIS INSTRUCTIONS FROM WHAT HE WROTE..
AND YOU ASK ME WHY ....
NOW IF THE APOSTLE PETER IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE FIRST POPE...
WHY IS IT A SIN TO REMIND YOU WHAT HE SAID?
I REALLY EXPECTED MORE SENSE FROM YOU THAN WHAT YOU HAVE POSTED..
I totally agree with what he said. But he didn't write it to me. 2Peter is directed at you. He wrote it to criticize false teachers who distort the authentic Apostolic tradition, and predicts judgement upon them.. That's you not me.
Still, it had nothing to do with what I posted earlier.

You can't just fire scripture verses at whomever you wish.
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457143 Jun 28, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
We're being blessed with very faithful bishops and priests nowadays. How do you feel about EMHCs? I'd be happy to do away with them.
Agreed, on both counts. I can understand the need for them as far as the sick and elderly go, but they're over-utilized, at least in my diocese. But, as you said, things are changing and some of these practices will eventually fade away. And *practices* they are. Not dogma.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457144 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way ... Catholicism IS religion.
June:

It depends on your viewpoint. If you are inside looking out, then it is not religion. If on the outside looking in, it is religion.

Since: Jun 13

Newtown, CT

#457145 Jun 28, 2013
Elizabeth wrote:
As someone who is catholic and was raised in the faith, I find this truly offensive that the Pope would make a statement like this. It is making me seriously consider leaving the church. As long as popele believe in God and the holy trinity, why does it matter whether they believe as catholics, methodists, lutherans, etc? I think Benedict has gone too far with this statement and I do believe it is going to hurt the catholic church in the long run.
dead ass, anyone true in the faith knows that any palce of worship that recognizes jesus chirst as the savior is a church getting the faith out there. saying the catholic church is the only true church is seriously vain, seriously seriously vain. And im confirmed catholic
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#457146 Jun 28, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
It depends on your viewpoint. If you are inside looking out, then it is not religion. If on the outside looking in, it is religion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Anthony MN

Saint Paul, MN

#457147 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Leviticus 17:11, "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement for your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life."
re-crucifying of Jesus, their expressioin is "mass", they get NOTHING! The LIFE is in the blood.
We don't re-crucify Jesus.
Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#457148 Jun 28, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Should Muslims keep practicing THEIR religion?
June:

From the outside we like to say "No".

But if they are finding Truth through THEIR religion, then I say "Yes".

Looking at extremists, and hypocrites in a religion, such as Islam, or Christianity, or any religion, and call that religion incorrect, is not the answer.

I think because of cultural biases, we are quick to judge, and dims our understanding.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#457149 Jun 28, 2013
Atheist Silurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be hell indeed if an afterlife would be spent in the presence of the same religious bigots that reside in the here and now.
It's a place I would want to go.
Clay

Union, NJ

#457150 Jun 28, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Leviticus 17:11, "For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it for you on the altar to make atonement fore your souls, for it is the blood that makes atonement by the life."
You're just like your buddy Confrint. You scour the Bible looking for scripture verses to apply them wherever you see fit.
Lev 17:11 does not undo Jesus Christs own words: "THIS IS MY BODY".

Since: Jun 13

Newtown, CT

#457151 Jun 28, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
But Jesus is really and truly present, wholly and substantially in every particle and every drop, so you did receive all of Him.
I've always wondered how people who leave the faith feel about leaving Christ in the Eucharist. I just don't understand how one could do that. Don't you miss Him? Or did you never believe in the Real Presence to begin with? If you don't wish to answer, that's fine.
to believe u leave christ wen u stop participating in the eucharist is crazy, if you believe in god and jesus christ he will always be with u.. in ur prayers, in ur heart, in ur motives, in your kindness, and in ur thoughts. Recieiving the eucharist is to demonstrate that physically with others in a tradition past down since the first breaking of bread
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#457152 Jun 28, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
From the outside we like to say "No".
But if they are finding Truth through THEIR religion, then I say "Yes".
But your Christianity teaches that Muslims will burn in Christian hell.

Do you believe your own religion to be based on truth or a lie?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Feb 15 Eyes on Christ 10,730
News Pope 'loves China', Vatican official says on tr... (Aug '17) Feb 11 C Kersey 3
News Vatican mulls putting end to limbo (Apr '07) Feb 6 Leary 43
News Vatican nixes former Irish president from Women... Feb 2 Mullah Pres Elect... 1
News Pope accepts resignation of auxiliary bishop of... Feb 2 Pope MS USA News 6
News Faith Matters: Top local faith stories for 2017 Jan 21 question 2
News Love in the air: Pope marries couple on papal p... Jan 19 Pardon Pard 1
More from around the web