Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 548,468
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#456593 Jun 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Oxbow" 21994
I am in total agreement with the following...Christ was/is not God. Whom will be the first Cathloic to debunk this truth....
And indeed it was wholly fitting that so wonderful a mother should be ever resplendent with the glory of most sublime holiness and so completely free from all taint of original sin that she would triumph utterly over the ancient serpent. To her did the Father will to give his only-begotten Son -- the Son whom, equal to the Father and begotten by him, the Father loves from his heart -- and to give this Son in such a way that he would be the one and the same common Son of God the Father and of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was she whom the Son himself chose to make his Mother and it was from her that the Holy Spirit willed and brought it about that he should be conceived and born from whom he himself proceeds....
Note:
To her did the Father will to give his only-begotten Son
the Son whom, equal to the Father and begotten by him
and to give this Son
the Son himself
And where did you get the following:
It was she whom the Son himself chose to make his Mother and it was from her that the Holy Spirit willed and brought it about that he should be conceived and born from whom he himself proceeds....
KayMarie
The reason Catholics are not debunking this info, is they used their search engines and know it came from: www.ewtn.com

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#456594 Jun 26, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just throw a dart...there is none or you would have run to present it.
One of these religions could give quite a thrill to their believers.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

Tibetan Religions

According to an ancient tradition, the White Light gave birth to an egg, from which emerged the primordial Man.

The lamas are masters of the atmosphere exactly like the shamans; they fly in the air, etc.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456595 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I get that. You don't need to explain it again and again that you believe you will be saved by a Jew, and others will go to hell.
It's a small frame of mind in which you choose to dwell Oh self-perceived holy one!
June:

Lol.

Accusing me of having a small mind?

I never said, nor do I assume, or assert that others will go to hell, nor have I said I will go to heaven. That part of your "statement" is incorrect.

However, I do believe a specific person, Jesus, who was part Jew,(also having part of his lineage being non-Jew), is my Savior.

Straw-Man(Woman)!

Your argument is onus probandi. In other words you need to prove your point, that I believe such as you state.
(And I know you can't.)

:)

Terrace, Canada

#456596 Jun 26, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
<quoted text>My computer is freezing up for some reason.
It must be one of your pet demons haunting you and taunting you. Maybe an exorcism is in ORDER.

:)

Location hidden

#456597 Jun 26, 2013
Part 1

What did Christ mean when He spoke of eating His body and drinking His blood??? We have two very interesting Old Testament references which help us to understand what Jesus is talking about. The first is in Psalm 27:2 where David is talking about the wicked who are coming against him. "When the wicked came against me to eat up my flesh, my enemies and foes, they stumbled and fell." We have to ask ourselves, does David literally mean that these are cannibalistic enemies or is he using picture language? He is talking here about the wicked who want to profit from his death. They want to kill David because they want to obtain some kind of benefit from his death. This example from the Old Testament gives us an insight into what Jesus means by eating his flesh—it means to benefit from His death on the cross.

Location hidden

#456598 Jun 26, 2013
Part 2
Interestingly enough, there is an occasion in David’s life where he also uses the image of drinking blood. When he was on the run from Saul he gathered a group of mighty men around him. At one point he was fighting the Philistines who had taken the town of Bethlehem and he remarked how much he would love a drink from the well of Bethlehem. Three of his mighty men heard this and took him seriously. They fought their way through the Philistine line, got water from Bethlehem and brought it back to David. In 1 Chronicles 11:19 David says, "Far be it from me, O my God, that I should do this! Shall I drink the blood of these men who have put their lives in jeopardy? For at the risk of their lives they brought it." He says that to drink this water would be like drinking the blood of these men, not literally their blood, but it would be like profiting from their near death, since they risked their lives for him. You could say, enjoying the benefits which came at the expense of their lives.

That phrase really sums up what Jesus is talking about here. When He refers to eating His flesh and drinking His blood, He is talking about enjoying the benefits which come from His death.

Terrace, Canada

#456599 Jun 26, 2013
That Buddha-myth also leaves much to be desired.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

History of Religious Ideas, by Mircea Eliade.

Tibetan Religions

The most terrifying meditation, known as gcod (to cut), consists in offering one’s own flesh to be devoured by demons.“The power of meditation gives rise to a goddess with saber aloft; she leaps at the head of the one who presents the sacrifice, she decapitates and dismembers him; then the demons and the wild beasts rush forward into the quivering debris, devouring his flesh and drinking his blood. The words pronounced allude to certain jatakas, which tell how the Buddha, in the course of former incarnations, offered his own flesh to famished animals and anthropophagous demons.”

Location hidden

#456600 Jun 26, 2013
And....

"Eucharist" is an invention of Catholics......

Recalling these words of Jesus, the Catholic Church professes that, in the celebration of the Eucharist, bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit and the instrumentality of the priest.

The truth is:
The Lord's Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456601 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Passover is a Jewish ceremony, totally foreign to the rituals of the Catholic Eucharist.
At any rate, if Catholics follow a faithful Jew, they should be celebrating Passover ... period ... and be following all the Jewish rituals and beliefs.
That would be THE path to follow.
Instead Catholic theologians lead the flock AWAY from Judaism.
And THAT is the truth of THAT "MATTER."
June:

So what is the Jewish Passover "ceremony"? In short the sacrifice of a lamb, to save individuals from death.

So what is the central part of the Catholic Mass/Eucharist?
Everyone says three times, "Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world..." As the perfect Sacrifice, since it came from God.

And that's the Truth.

Terrace, Canada

#456602 Jun 26, 2013
More words from Robert F ... same page and same forum as above.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

In my wildest nightmares, I could not imagine anything worse than a personal god that allows a devil to run earth ... and that gives free will, only to command that we follow "his" dictates, or burn in this devil's hell.

Ridiculous claptrap!

Location hidden

#456603 Jun 26, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The "all have sinned" argument doesn't work because not all have sinned.
Only a Catholic would argue that "all" includes Christ in defense that "Mary was sinless"....which she was not....she was thankful for her Savior...sinless people do not need a Savior!!!!

Terrace, Canada

#456604 Jun 26, 2013
Raw Recruit

They said to me:“Thou shalt not kill,”
And well I understood
Thy brother’s blood thou shalt not spill,”
They spake, and it was good.
And then I could not understand,
Yet had to do their will:
Cold steel they put into my hand,
Saying:“Go forth and kill.

“Go forth with rage of race and slay:
Pile up the corpses for
What’s murder called in Peace—always
Is hallowed in a War.
The Church has blest your bloody blade,
The which in peace it cursed;
So go forth, son, all unafraid,
And do your bloody worst.”

What’s wrong in Peace in War is right,
So I will do their will,
And bear me bravely in the fight,
And kill, and kill, and kill.
Yet as I brave the battle test,
With dripping sword in hand,
Proving me equal with the best…
Christ help me understand!

Robert Service.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#456605 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
A short while ago, you wanted evidence of a deity.
Now, you are asking for something else (while accusing ME of constructing a straw man). You're asking for empirical evidence of certain beliefs about God, not about the existence of God.
You are dancing around the bush here.
In any court, empirical evidence of the accused at a scene, or evidence there(such as fingerprints or DNA) tying the defendant to that evidence proves that the accused was actually present physically. The accused was not apprehended in the act, however, if enough verifiable evidence is acquired to witness that he was there, it is sufficient as factual evidence. That, in itself, gives veracity to the existence and placement as proof that the individual was present at the posited time and place.
Because no one can show any of this, it comes down to the point that lack of evidence of a proposition of existence or placement at any event, is sufficient proof that the entity was not there, and in reality, the probability of it's existence is highly questionable or non existent....It can only be assumed that it is nothing more than fabricated fantasy...which is worthless as "evidence" supporting the posit of the entity's existence....therefore, the posit is rejected.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456606 Jun 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not start with a presupposition that God was not omniscient at all.
I'm simply saying that if God is omniscient, then the future is predestined, and free will is impossible.
<quoted text>
Again, my question does not presuppose whether God is omniscient or not. In fact, it very clearly offers the possibility that God is omniscient, and what the consequences of that would be.
As for God being beyond our ability to reason about, well, as soon as you go there, you might as well toss the Bible in the trash, because you've just made that book false and even demeaning to God.
Supposedly humans are created in the image of God, and in fact Genesis implies that this likeness applies to our ability to reason as God does. If God is not held to the same logic and reason we are, then where does God's reason come from?
In any case, the whole "god is beyond our understanding" is just an attempt to sidestep what I think is a pretty fundamental aspect of Judeo-Christian ideology. I'd think the question would be a very important one for you; don't you care about the answer?
wilderide:

Your question is important. But to be brief it makes no logical sense.

I don't want to hurt your feelings, and in being brief, I am trying not to diminish the question, or you.

More or less, it has a lot of ambiguity, but the most basic flaw is that it affirms a consequent(and dysjunct), while at the same time stating a vacuous truth.

The vacuous truth is that to know everything means there is no free-will.

The affirmation of a consequent(fallacy) is that in your "complex" statement, " I'm simply saying that if God is omniscient, then the future is predestined, and free will is impossible."

It is hard for me to go much farther and keep is brief and simple. If you care, I can dissect it with you? It may be enlightening for both of us....

Terrace, Canada

#456607 Jun 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
So what is the Jewish Passover "ceremony"? In short the sacrifice of a lamb, to save individuals from death.
So what is the central part of the Catholic Mass/Eucharist?
Everyone says three times, "Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world..." As the perfect Sacrifice, since it came from God.
And that's the Truth.
Dogma-theft is your Catholic truth!!!

Passover would have been performed by Jesus (had he lived).

If Passover was good enough for that Jew
It also should be good enough for you

Right ... Robert F ... the ex-Atheist.

Clay

Chicago, IL

#456608 Jun 26, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that the two churches were once ONE...But in 1054 when the now known catholic church split from the now know Orthodox Church ,the now known catholic church took with them the word Catholic and form what is now known as the catholic church.And the now known Orthodox Church took the name Orthodox.....This is the Truth and the Light.Every Protestant here needs to know this and to understand....Just because your church has the word catholic does not mean that it is the church that Christ founded....The catholic church took the name catholic but the Orthodox Church took the Faith!!
You seem to get angry when Catholics say we're the true Church. Yet, you claim the Orthodox are the true ones. That's called a hypocrite.
I could care less if you believe the Orthodox are the true faith. I would expect nothing less. Why belong to a faith if you're not 100% convinced its the truth?

I don't think the Orthodox's argument against the Papacy holds any weight. Its clear Christ set His Church up with one leader. So it stands to reason the next generation would have one too.

Terrace, Canada

#456609 Jun 26, 2013
Passover Seder

The Passover Seder (Hebrew: &#1505;&#1461;&#14 91;&#1462;&#1512;& #8206; [&#712;sede&#641;], "order, arrangement"; Yiddish: Seyder) is a Jewish ritual feast that marks the beginning of the Jewish holiday of Passover. It is conducted on the evenings of the 14th day of Nisan in the Hebrew calendar, and on the 15th by traditionally observant Jews living outside Israel. This corresponds to late March or April in the Gregorian calendar.

The Seder is a ritual performed by a community or by multiple generations of a family, involving a retelling of the story of the liberation of the Israelites from slavery in ancient Egypt. This story is in the Book of Exodus (Shemot) in the Hebrew Bible. The Seder itself is based on the Biblical verse commanding Jews to retell the story of the Exodus from Egypt:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passover_Seder

Terrace, Canada

#456610 Jun 26, 2013
Eucharist

Eucharist may refer to either the actual elements of the biblical Last Supper, or the modern Christian ritual which commemorates it. The word itself comes from the Greek word for "thanksgiving." Catholics and some Protestant denominations use "Eucharist" interchangeably with "Mass" to describe their Sunday morning Communion services. Other Protestant denominations may describe the Eucharist ceremony as "The Lord's Supper," "The Great Thanksgiving," or "Holy Communion."

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-the-eucharist...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#456611 Jun 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How effective is God?
Ask any amputee who has prayed for their limbs to be restored.
God must hate amputees...such a prejudiced deity...
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456612 Jun 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Human Being"
June:
In a sense you are true.
But in Christianity, there is an axiom which works...,
When and where Christianity increases, superstition decreases(And the reverse is true, when and where Christianity decreases, superstition increases.)
As a modern for instance, in the U.S., there has been a decline of Christianity, and an increase in paranormal, Wicca, paganism, spiritualism, tarot cards, séances, "eastern meditation", yoga, etc...) All these latter things are superstition oriented
A famous man said on TV this morning (he has written a book about it)'When America was at her peak as a Christian nation, the world was less violent."
KM
"confront"
KM

Interesting thought.

I kind of feel God deals with nations based on Christ, and Justice. So within our own nation the more Christians there were, the more Justice was served and this preserved the peace(especially within our nation), but it spilled out into the rest of the world as well, as the Gospel was preached in the rest of the world, and Christianity spread.

It is more like the Spirit moves to where it desires, which are in/with those "hearing" the message, and accepting Jesus. And that is where the peace of Christ exists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 54 min Married in 8,512
Pope Francis leaves the beatification ceremony ... 7 hr Belle Sexton 11
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sat ELIAS IBARRA 6
Catholic bishops take first step toward accepta... Oct 16 Mychihuahuawillbite 2
Pope Francis shows strong, unique leadership fo... Oct 15 Gremlin 2
Gradualism and Holiness Oct 15 RevKen 1
The Pope's Criticism Of Capitalism Has One Weal... (Jan '14) Oct 10 QUITTNER Oct 10 2014 8

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE