Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 542,874
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456441 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Precisely. We have "concepts" of truth, which could be way OFF the mark of truth ... if such a thing as absolute truth even exists, which is anybody's guess, or concept.
It's all about ifs, and ifs are not necessarily facts.
June:

Its wider ranging than what you state.

Its all about our pre-conceptions, and our ability to reason them logically to make up a valid concept.

This valid concept may or may not be true within the framework of another world-view.

So in just giving opinions with evidence is not a convincing argument. Evidence is not proof. Opinions are not evidence....
Clay

Brooklyn, NY

#456442 Jun 26, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
It's great that theses popes have visited Israel
The non Catholic Christians have been in Israel with missions and money for refugees relocation for a long time..this land belongs to the Jews..And we have acknowledged and supported that for decades.
And your own John Paul acknowledged the Christian martyrs who were not Catholic..
Again Again you all think you have cornered the market on spreading the truth that matters...And GOD
Snipped for space..
you said, "You all think you have cornered the market on spreading the truth"
There is no 'market' on truth. Its either truth or not. When you tell people the Eucharist is nothing; Baptism doesn't need water; faith is all you need; sscripture is all you need, you're not spreading the will of God. You're not spreading truth.
you said "Catholics believe it is only through them which we are saved"
No we don't. You guys say we say that. Read the Catechism.
You guys should get a pat on the back for the charity work you do; introducing people to Jesus Christ; working to bring peace and harmony to the world; feeding the poor etc.
Not one of your ministers are an authority on sacred scripture. The Holy Spirit does not reveal Biblical truths to them.
You pray, commit your life to Christ and the Lord blesses you with graces.
JP II acknowledged that truth. Its a wonderful truth that shows allot of positive results and we can work together on that. There is no way Blessed John Paul was giving credence to Protestant doctrines because they are not what the Apostles taught. The Holy Spirit works in some way with all peoples who's intent is to love thy neighbor and do good works. Sorry Rose, that doesn't mean you're guided to the full teachings of Jesus Christ.
marge

Ames, IA

#456443 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
You just confirmed oral tradition.
Thanks for the assist.
Oral tradition means,'hearing His voice', so yes I agree that is a must.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#456444 Jun 26, 2013
JESUS SAID Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

~~~

AFTER YOU HAVE BELIEVED UPON THE LORD JESUS..

YOU ARE BORN AGAIN

A SON OF GOD...

A NEW CREATURE IN CHRIST JESUS...

Eph_2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;

THE WORKS ARE

Rom 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye

1. present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Rom 12:2 And

2.be not conformed to this world: but

3.be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind,

that ye may prove what is that good, and

acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#456445 Jun 26, 2013
Once again I will flaunt my self in front of this supposed all-powerful creator.

If he/she/it exists, I ask that I be struck dead at this moment in time.

Now, if this creator wants people to know that it is real ... surely it will strike me dead to prove to all of you that you must follow the words of the theologians.

But as you can see ... I'm still writing.

You are held in bondage by the words of ancient, cunning theologians ... period!!!

Terrace, Canada

#456446 Jun 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
JESUS SAID Mat 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Mat 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Mat 11:30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
~~~
AFTER YOU HAVE BELIEVED UPON THE LORD JESUS..
YOU ARE BORN AGAIN
A SON OF GOD...
:)

Even if Jesus was real, you'd have to be born-again as a faithful follower of Judaism!

Silly fool!
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456447 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't HAVE to. You CHOSE to.
People created god-myths long before the Christian myth ever came on the scene ... and they were also certain that they were favorites of their gods.
Religion is nothing new. It is just repetitive.
June:

Just a moment. I wish to access and critique....

I find it very easy to talk with you, but very difficult to communicate.
Your opinions are like a wall that is both offensive and defensive, but have no foundation, so they are easily gone under or over.

It seems your opinions shield you from pain, but they also harbor demons that gnaw around you in the clutter of memories.

You don't have to agree or disagree. Its just something I have been thinking on, and may or may not be true.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456448 Jun 26, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Oral tradition means,'hearing His voice', so yes I agree that is a must.
Do you find this to be contrary to "bible-alone" theology?

It does present an additional means to reveal the teachings of Christ.

#456449 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You think you are all-powerful and can put a curse on me simply because you hold a bible and I don't.
You fool!
~~~

REMEMBER THIS

YOU MAY PROSPER FOR A TIME...

Pro_8:36 But he that sinneth against me wrongeth his own soul: all they that hate me love death.

Pro_19:2 Also, that the soul be without knowledge, it is not good; and he that hasteth with his feet sinneth.

Eze_18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Eze_18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456450 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Once again I will flaunt my self in front of this supposed all-powerful creator.
If he/she/it exists, I ask that I be struck dead at this moment in time.
Now, if this creator wants people to know that it is real ... surely it will strike me dead to prove to all of you that you must follow the words of the theologians.
But as you can see ... I'm still writing.
You are held in bondage by the words of ancient, cunning theologians ... period!!!
Actually, all your post "proves", if anything, is that the "all-powerful creator" doesn't do your bidding.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456451 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If Jesus had lived and followed Judaism, he would have celebrated Passover ... not Catholic Eucharist.
They are NOT the same.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >
The Passover Seder and Sacrifice
The Jewish holiday of Passover commemorates the Exodus from Egypt. The roots of the festival are found in Exodus 12, in which God instructs the Israelites to sacrifice a lamb at twilight on the 14th day of the Jewish month of Nisan, before the sun sets (Exodus 12:18). That night the Israelites are to eat the lamb with unleavened bread and bitter herbs. The lamb’s blood should be swabbed on their doorposts as a sign. God, seeing the sign, will then “pass over” the houses of the Israelites (Exodus 12:13), while smiting the Egyptians with the tenth plague, the killing of the first-born sons.
http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/peop...
June

Jesus did practice the Passover. The last one he attended, is called The Last Supper(which began to be known as the Eucharist).

The practice of the Mass is in part the Passover. Most non-Catholics find the thought of connecting O.T. observances into Christianity difficult because a rejection of tradition, but all Christians accept them as being transformed, or meeting their ultimate climax in Jesus Christ.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456452 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So if you agree that things in Catholicism need correcting ... what parts do you believe are true???
Would it by chance be the part about you being saved and rewarded with eternal bliss and others going to spend eternity in hell???
June:

For me, Christianity is true, its the people within it that need correcting.(Christianity encompasses those who are RCs and non-RCs.) And this is often a result of the times and places and cultures in which it is found.

The outward history of Christianity is more attempt to discredit it, but the internal history is an attempt at justifying it. Yet Christianity keeps going in spite of, or perhaps because of these contradictions, imho.

#456453 Jun 26, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok ... how?
Is it the Eucharist, Baptism, Confession and Marian theology? Or the funny robes they wear?
At what point did 'Roman' Catholicism become corrupted. Was it Constantine, or when Protestants gave us the Roman title in the 17th century?
You guys need to start being challenged on your scenarios of this supposed corruption. You do not provide any evidence to back up your accusations against the Church. Try foregoing deception te prove your claims Confrint. Your religion should be able to stand on its own merit. I see it immediately falling apart from ignorance.
~~~~

the The Bible describes your condition...

I do not expect those such as yourselves that are infidels and suffering from a reprobate mind to comprehend what I write..

You measure yourself by your self and the sordid history of your religious society...

2Co_10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.

2Co_10:13 But we will not boast of things without our measure, but according to the measure of the rule which God hath distributed to us, a measure to reach even unto you.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456454 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Religion is based on superstition. Some of it is weird, and some of it is just plain corny.
A god will take wonderful ME to heaven, and shove you down the chute to eternal torment.
It's one thing for little children to believe such nonsense ... but adults that cling to such stupidity really need to wake up and smell the coffee.
June:

In a sense you are true.

But in Christianity, there is an axiom which works...,

When and where Christianity increases, superstition decreases(And the reverse is true, when and where Christianity decreases, superstition increases.)

As a modern for instance, in the U.S., there has been a decline of Christianity, and an increase in paranormal, Wicca, paganism, spiritualism, tarot cards, séances, "eastern meditation", yoga, etc...) All these latter things are superstition oriented

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#456455 Jun 26, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The early Church was called BOTH "Orthodox" and "Catholic." St. Ignatius of Antioch, a disciple of the Apostles, calls the Church by both these names as early as A.D. 107. The word “Orthodox” in Greek is “orthódoxos” meaning “right in religion“, or “straight teaching”; and the word “Catholic” is “katholikós” meaning “general” and/or “kathól(ou)” meaning “universally”. >>>>>
Also, the word “katholikos” literally means “the whole in every part.” It is commonly translated “universal.”
Here is what Ignatius says:
"You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles. Reverence the deacons as you would the command of God. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church
without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop, or by one whom he appoints. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is THE CATHOLIC CHURCH." (he didn't say Orthodox Church)(Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans)
Ignatius’ point is that the TRUE Church (the CATHOLIC Church –the Church as it is known in all parts of the world) is found locally with the bishop, as opposed to Gnostic cults and other false sects which claimed to be the true Church. Ergo, here as early as A.D. 107, the Church was already known as “the Catholic Church.” It would have been known by that name (Catholic) while the Apostle John was still alive, since he died only about 7 years earlier than the time when Ignatius is writing. Also, as I said, the term “the Way” was only used by Jewish Christians when speaking to other Jews.
http://www.orthodoxresearchins titute.org/articles/church_his tory/michael_theschism.htm

Terrace, Canada

#456456 Jun 26, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Its wider ranging than what you state.
Its all about our pre-conceptions, and our ability to reason them logically to make up a valid concept.
And YOUR pre-conception ... that apparently from your point of view, is a conception that occurs before a conception, is that a Jew will come to save your Christian "soul" from spending eternity in hell with the rest of human refuse.

Your supposed "pre"-conception is no different than your conception.

Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456457 Jun 26, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Catholics teach all born are guilty of the original sin of Adam and Eve.. This was God's reaction to same: Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life...
Where does He say: And from this day forth, all newborn will have their soul stained with the original sin of Adam/Eve....or words to that affect...
Oxbow:

In simplist terms Acquinas explain it:

""An individual can be considered either as an individual or as part of a whole, a member of a society .... Considered in the second way an act can be his although he has not done it himself, nor has it been done by his free will but by the rest of the society or by its head, the nation being considered as doing what the prince does. For a society is considered as a single man of whom the individuals are the different members (St. Paul, 1 Corinthians 12). Thus the multitude of men who receive their human nature from Adam is to be considered as a single community or rather as a single body .... If the man, whose privation of original justice is due to Adam, is considered as a private person, this privation is not his 'fault', for a fault is essentially voluntary. If, however, we consider him as a member of the family of Adam, as if all men were only one man, then his privation partakes of the nature of sin on account of its voluntary origin, which is the actual sin of Adam" (De Malo, iv, 1)."

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#456458 Jun 26, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
The early Church was called BOTH "Orthodox" and "Catholic." St. Ignatius of Antioch, a disciple of the Apostles, calls the Church by both these names as early as A.D. 107. The word “Orthodox” in Greek is “orthódoxos” meaning “right in religion“, or “straight teaching”; and the word “Catholic” is “katholikós” meaning “general” and/or “kathól(ou)” meaning “universally”. >>>>>
Also, the word “katholikos” literally means “the whole in every part.” It is commonly translated “universal.”
Here is what Ignatius says:
"You must all follow the bishop as Jesus Christ follows the Father, and the presbytery as you would the Apostles. Reverence the deacons as you would the command of God. Let no one do anything of concern to the Church
without the bishop. Let that be considered a valid Eucharist which is celebrated by the bishop, or by one whom he appoints. Wherever the bishop appears, let the people be there; just as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is THE CATHOLIC CHURCH." (he didn't say Orthodox Church)(Ignatius of Antioch to the Smyrnaeans)
Ignatius’ point is that the TRUE Church (the CATHOLIC Church –the Church as it is known in all parts of the world) is found locally with the bishop, as opposed to Gnostic cults and other false sects which claimed to be the true Church. Ergo, here as early as A.D. 107, the Church was already known as “the Catholic Church.” It would have been known by that name (Catholic) while the Apostle John was still alive, since he died only about 7 years earlier than the time when Ignatius is writing. Also, as I said, the term “the Way” was only used by Jewish Christians when speaking to other Jews.
I agree that the two churches were once ONE...But in 1054 when the now known catholic church split from the now know Orthodox Church ,the now known catholic church took with them the word Catholic and form what is now known as the catholic church.And the now known Orthodox Church took the name Orthodox.....This is the Truth and the Light.Every Protestant here needs to know this and to understand....Just because your church has the word catholic does not mean that it is the church that Christ founded....The catholic church took the name catholic but the Orthodox Church took the Faith!!

Terrace, Canada

#456459 Jun 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~
the The Bible describes your condition...
I do not expect those such as yourselves that are infidels
As you point outward you USE the scripture as though it is other people who are the infidels.

What if YOU are the infidel?

What THEN???

Maybe you should be preaching at your self?

#456460 Jun 26, 2013
who="Oxbow" Catholics teach all born are guilty of the original sin of Adam and Eve.. This was God's reaction to same: Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life...
Where does He say: And from this day forth, all newborn will have their soul stained with the original sin of Adam/Eve....or words to that affect...

1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Rom 5:14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
Rom 5:15 But not as the offense, so also is the free gift. For if through the offense of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.
Rom 5:16 And not as it was by one that sinned, so is the gift: for the judgment was by one to condemnation, but the free gift is of many offenses unto justification.
Rom 5:17 For if by one man's offense death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)
Rom 5:18 Therefore as by the offense of one judgment came upon all men to condemnation; even so by the righteousness of one the free gift came upon all men unto justification of life.

KayMarie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) 11 hr Dan Dougherty 3
Pope's visit will change Philippines, Cardinal ... Thu Iglesia_Ni_Dinuguan 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Thu pazuzu 85
Edmonton's Coptic Christian community welcomes ... Thu PAUL SHYKORA arts 1
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Wed Married in 8,299
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sep 10 ELIAS IBARRA 5
Pope Francis pursues a thaw in relations with m... Sep 9 Andrez Lopez 2
•••

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••