Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 678643 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#456547 Jun 26, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Once again I will flaunt my self in front of this supposed all-powerful creator.
If he/she/it exists, I ask that I be struck dead at this moment in time.
Now, if this creator wants people to know that it is real ... surely it will strike me dead to prove to all of you that you must follow the words of the theologians.
But as you can see ... I'm still writing.
You are held in bondage by the words of ancient, cunning theologians ... period!!!
Are you still there?

:o)

Albuquerque, NM

#456548 Jun 26, 2013
marge wrote:
Scotus just ruled, against the children. Woe to us.
In retort - SCOTUS - well done.

Humans deserve equality, I'm sorry you don't feel this way.

Time to get over it and move on!!

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#456549 Jun 26, 2013
who="Dan"
Yes, I'm Catholic.
We believe she had a large role in Christ's coming.
We believe she was conceived without sin and was the ark of Christ's New Covenant.
The Church venerates her for her role.
That's the EXTREMELY short form.

All that stuff was added by the CC. She played a wonderful role in the arrival of Jesus. But if she were conceived without sin, His coming AND SUFFERING was unnecessary. He could have had us all conceived without sin, and saved the world without sin and suffering.

KayMarie

#456550 Jun 26, 2013
who="wilderide"
Mary was also sinless? Is that Biblically sourced?
Moreover, if Mary was sinless, why couldn't she have been the savior herself?
Also, I guess specifically what I don't get is the prayers to saints and intermediaries instead of directly to God. Catholics pray to Mary to intercede for people, right? Why not just pray directly to Jesus?

That is exactly what I've been asking them.
KM

Albuquerque, NM

#456551 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
It was an ecclesial council.
Not a political convention.
Sorry, but that's what history tells us it was.
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Dan, but your argument presupposes that there are no politics in church organizations, which is demonstrably false. There are politics in any human organization.
To admit that it was political goes against what he has been told to believe, which could cause disbelief in the decisions that were made and then presented.

So-called "Christians" can't comprehend the dismay, as they "feel" [Self] it will destroy their chances of a supposed salvation.

Avoiding the facts gives them the ability to uphold the fallacies.

It's been this way since the onset of Christianity.

Albuquerque, NM

#456552 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
What empirical evidence do you want?
If I said "open your window and look around", you would then say "God had no part of the natural world", yes?
One that is verifiable through facts and not opinion.

Whatcha got?

#456553 Jun 26, 2013
who="wilderide"
Is there medical proof that you were physically incapable of having children, and that therefore the birth of each of your children was a verifiable miracle? Seems much more likely that the doctor which told you that you could not have children was simply mistaken.
There have actually been many scientific studies on the efficacy of prayer, using double-blinded studies and control groups. None of them showed any effect beyond a placebo effect (and some even showed a very slightly negative effect).
Have you tried praying for the same thing to different gods to see which ones answer?

There is ONE living God...the others are man-made inventions. If those others 'gods' really existed, they would be fighting for control, and there would be no 'order' in the universe.

The doctor who gave me that information was the same doctor that cared for me all my life. The same doctor that did not allow me to take physical education in school, because I fainted during simple morning exercises. The same one, who had that day, examined me.

350 doctors, from around the world, met in Mexico a few days ago,and considered this very thing. One of them had raised a man to life by prayer after 40 minutes of 'medical treatment' had failed.

You don't have all of the information you need. The media of the world doesn't report, because, like the rest of the world, they are ashamed of Him. They don't want to be thought to be 'dumb'.

KayMarie

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#456554 Jun 26, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="wilderide"
Also, I guess specifically what I don't get is the prayers to saints and intermediaries instead of directly to God. Catholics pray to Mary to intercede for people, right? Why not just pray directly to Jesus?
That is exactly what I've been asking them.
KM
Oh, I thought you were Catholic for some reason. Well, maybe we will soon both find out!

San Francisco

#456555 Jun 26, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Dan wrote:
It was an ecclesial council.
Not a political convention.
Sorry, but that's what history tells us it was.
<quoted text>
To admit that it was political goes against what he has been told to believe, which could cause disbelief in the decisions that were made and then presented.
So-called "Christians" can't comprehend the dismay, as they "feel" [Self] it will destroy their chances of a supposed salvation.
Avoiding the facts gives them the ability to uphold the fallacies.
It's been this way since the onset of Christianity.
Exactly. Of course politics entered into the determination of which texts were included or excluded form the canon. Just as politics resulted in Martin Luther editing 7 books out of the Bible 1,500 years later.

Albuquerque, NM

#456556 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though God already knows what our free choices will be in the future, our choices are still ours and are still free.
How is it that you also know what "God" can or cannot do?

Maybe you should discuss your conclusions with Oxbow, Clay, and KM - as they all know what "God" can or cannot do.

Oh wait, some of those individuals are Protestant

Hmmmm....does that cause you concern on what you thought you knew?

I shouldn't, huh?

San Francisco

#456557 Jun 26, 2013
who="Dan"
Yes, I'm Catholic.
We believe she had a large role in Christ's coming.
We believe she was conceived without sin and was the ark of Christ's New Covenant.
The Church venerates her for her role.
That's the EXTREMELY short form.
All that stuff was added by the CC. She played a wonderful role in the arrival of Jesus. But if she were conceived without sin, His coming AND SUFFERING was unnecessary. He could have had us all conceived without sin, and saved the world without sin and suffering.
KayMarie
I'd like to know where in the Bible it ever said Mary was sinless. Like I asked Dan, if Mary was sinless, then make her the messiah. And for that matter, was Anne sinless too? How far back does this perfection go?
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456558 Jun 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How effective is God?
Again, you're changing the question.

The efficacy of prayer isn't the same as the efficacy of God.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456559 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
How is it that you also know what "God" can or cannot do?
Maybe you should discuss your conclusions with Oxbow, Clay, and KM - as they all know what "God" can or cannot do.
Oh wait, some of those individuals are Protestant
Hmmmm....does that cause you concern on what you thought you knew?
I shouldn't, huh?
I was responding to a question asking for reconciliation of the notion of an omniscient God with free will.

That's all.

When I lead off with "God knows this" or "God knows that", then you can hit me up for presuming God's will or nature.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456560 Jun 26, 2013
<quoted text>
One that is verifiable through facts and not opinion.
Whatcha got?
The natural world is verifiable.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456561 Jun 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to know where in the Bible it ever said Mary was sinless. Like I asked Dan, if Mary was sinless, then make her the messiah. And for that matter, was Anne sinless too? How far back does this perfection go?
You're late to the party-we went over all this a week ago.

#456562 Jun 26, 2013
who="wilderide"

It doesn't say that Mary was sinless. She was a good woman, and had to meet God's approval for the task. But scripture says that "ALL have sinned and come short of (being) the glory of God."

Their argument is sort of like asking, "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" Simple: The chicken, because God created it. The egg could not have come first because it HAD to be fertilized by another chicken, and fed and nourished by the first one.

Anne and Mary were birthed naturally.

KayMarie
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456563 Jun 26, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
It's biblically sourced.

She was fully human, not divine, thus couldn't stand in for Jesus.

We do both. We believe that we are all one community on Earth and in Heaven, thus intercessory prayer.

San Francisco

#456564 Jun 26, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you're changing the question.
The efficacy of prayer isn't the same as the efficacy of God.
Isn't God the one answering the prayer?

I find it very revealing that, for example, as our knowledge of medicine has increased, medical miracles have decreased. Don't you find it odd that miracles become smaller and smaller and more infrequent as time goes on? When was the last time God parted a sea?

Who doesn't God regrow the severed limbs of Christian amputees? Despite the faith of the amputee, and the number of people praying for them? That would be a miracle, would it not? Yet God never favors amputees for some reason.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#456565 Jun 26, 2013
who="June VanDerMark"
Christianity is NOT a race. Jesus was born a Jew (of the tribe of Judah)...not a Judaist.
Christianity is a religion and Judaism is a religion.

Are you now claiming that Jesus converted to Protestantism because THAT is YOUR religion???

What NEXT???

That Jesus-myth has been grabbed by every Christian preacher as his own, and YOU are no different. You are a typical Jesus-grabber.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#456566 Jun 26, 2013
[QUOTE who="New Age Spiritual LeaderI believe in a spiritual world,[/QUOTE]

Do you believe a creator created your "spirit?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News President Trump to meet with Pope Francis 1 hr AZPat 1
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 4 hr rogmasturbate 84,647
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sun Married in 10,540
News Muslim Americans Have Some Advice For Trump On ... Sun Jay Em 7
News Pope Francis says 2,000 sex abuse cases backlog... May 17 hamlet 6
News Pope to canonize 2 Fatima children a century af... May 14 South Knox Hombre 9
News Pope Francis meets knights of ancient order in ... May 13 albospiderman 4
More from around the web