Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 574,513
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#456147 Jun 25, 2013
If a god allows a devil to tempt, then the god is part of that "evil" plan.

Silly stuff indeed!

Terrace, Canada

#456148 Jun 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent and informative.
And I notice how very early on those letters were CIRCULATED among the CHURCHES. And recognized as belonging to the Canon..
In other words there was agreement way before an official bible was put together ..
Did all those many mortal Catholic men receive messages straight from Jehovah on how to start a new religion???

Silly fool!
Human Being

Welsh, LA

#456149 Jun 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Well stated.
I don't relate to that word "evil," as it implies a devil is tempting one to commit evil.
I believe selfishness is a more fitting word, as we then take responsibility for our own choices, and it leaves religion OUT of the equation.
June:

You are the closet preacher, aren't you?(smiles)

You believe so much!
Dan

Omaha, NE

#456150 Jun 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
And I notice how very early on those letters were CIRCULATED among the CHURCHES. And recognized as belonging to the Canon..
In other words there was agreement way before an official bible was put together ..
What was actually made note of in the article was that the works were being circulated among the churches to be "read".
truth

Perth, Australia

#456151 Jun 25, 2013
why you have symbol on cross letter f and old ex ax or what cekic ci kec =1=lo=10=rt ser
ser sarsersirsorsur=$arerirorur last ur ural or urugvaj or simular whereeeeeeee
o velikabepelikane veli lika o liko niko siko bcdfghjklmnpqrstvw
lika
libalicalidalifaligalihalijali kalilalimalinalipaliqaliralisa litalivaliwaliyaliza=seeeeeeee ee $ee eegg
hair h air=see id hair

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#456152 Jun 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="wilderide"
Nowhere in there did it say that Adam would have had to eat from the tree "continually", but regardless, it does reinforce what I said, namely that Adam wasn't immortal to begin with. Adam was going to die, and he did. Fruit or no fruit.
It's also interesting that God refers to himself in the plural.
You still aren't reading! The Bible says plainly that God drove Adam from the Garden of Eden SO THAT HE COULD NOT EAT OF THE TREE OF LIFE.(That was not the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.)
Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, LEST HE PUT FORTH HIS HAND, AND TAKE ALSO OF THE TREE OF LIFE, AND EAT, AND LIVE FOREVER:
Gen 3:23 Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
KayMarie
Am I missing something?

-Adam was kicked out of the garden before he could eat from the Tree of Life and become immortal.
-Therefore Adam was not immortal to begin with.
-Therefore, Adam would have died regardless of eating from the other tree (of knowledge).

So again, God was either mistaken or lied when he told Adam he would die if he ate from either tree, and the snake told the truth.
Clay

Brooklyn, NY

#456153 Jun 25, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
The Book of Revelation was not circulated amongst the first Christians. The epistle of Clement was.
And no, they didn't recognize any official canon until 400 AD.

Terrace, Canada

#456154 Jun 25, 2013
Jehovah must have been very busy giving messages to all those Catholics over such a span of time, in how to create a new religion that is by the way totally foreign to Judaism.

Ridiculous!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

From the book “Smith’s Bible Dictionary.

Bible

There are at least thirty six different authors, who wrote in three continents, in many countries, in three languages, and from every possible human standpoint. Among these authors were kings, farmers, mechanics, scientific men, lawyers, generals, fishermen, ministers and priests, a tax-collector, a doctor, some rich, some poor, some city bred, some country born—thus touching all the experiences of men—extending over 1500 years.

Terrace, Canada

#456155 Jun 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
You are the closet preacher, aren't you?(smiles)
No, I am not a closet "preacher." I am an out of the closet ex-religious believer.

This is a forum Robert F ... not your Catholic church.

San Francisco

#456156 Jun 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
THE LORD REBUKE YOU.
YOUR RELIGIOUS SOCIETY WILL REAP THE HARVEST OF THE TREACHERY, LIES AND DECEPTION
WHICH IT HAS PROPAGATED.
Christianity has splintered into thousands of squabbling sects now, each one saying exactly what you have said about all the others. Each sect believes that the Bible is crystal clear in what it says, and yet look at all the differences in interpretation. One cannot say that God is a very good communicator, to say the least. Nor can one say God appears to care very much, considering no corrective action is ever taken.
Clay

Brooklyn, NY

#456157 Jun 25, 2013
marge wrote:
Clay,
The criteria the church used for recognizing and collecting the Word of God are as follows:
1) Was the book written by a prophet of God?
2) Was the writer authenticated by miracles to confirm his message?
3) Does the book tell the truth about God, with no falsehood or contradiction?
4) Does the book evince a divine capacity to transform lives?
5) Was the book accepted as God's Word by the people to whom it was first delivered?
Read more: http://www.gotquestions.org/canonicity-script...
Mar, who's list is that? That doesn't make sense because you're supposed to be 'sola scripture'. You can't listen to anyone BUT scripture to determine your scripture..

Furthermore, there is evidence (which the Catholic Church does not dispute) that some NT Books were not written by the Apostles. It was written by their Disciples.
I believe 2Peter is one and a couple of Pauls letters as well. Its worth looking into. I don't believe anyone in Protestantland would dare acknowledge that.

San Francisco

#456158 Jun 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Disciple, like all Catholics, will deny that truth, because they have a higher authority...the Pope...what say...Peter...him got the keys...Christ just thinks He hasum'
Right Clay?????
A perfect example of internecine Christian bickering.

I have an idea: how about we just go right to God and ask!

"Hey God! Can you please clarify yourself on these matters for us, since this is purportedly so important to you?"

*silence*

Hmmmmm. Must be on a lunch break.
truth

Perth, Australia

#456159 Jun 25, 2013
canon
see a b c=?=non noon=afternoon
good day
good afternoon
why?=time
truth

Perth, Australia

#456160 Jun 25, 2013
ca ajde chak 12=non
who c hak hakers ha ker$=dog=g od ad ed 'id' od ud

San Francisco

#456161 Jun 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
wilderide:
What I think you are setting is a course in logic here with the X/Y argument, with some classical laws of thought, and that may be a means of linguistically approaching your point, but I have been describing the behavior as means of approaching the issue of free-will/choice.(If behavior is "always" logical, we would be robots. And your logic would apply. But I beg to differ.)
So in a sequence here, you have not established that my free-will is affected, because my behavior is affected, because God knows what my choices are. More or less you just set out a posit that free-will excludes omniscience.
I will show you why this posit is incorrect.
God has set some pre-conditions that may affect my behavior, which I concede. For instance, the ability to learn, affects behavior(for most people). I put my hand in the fire, and get burned, I learn not to do so again. But my free-will may override my learning, and I may put my hand in the fire by choice.
(This is similar in the case of free-will related to choice, regarding sin and righteousness. Although with sin, one's choice begins to obscure(blinds) If one continues to destroy the nerves in one's hand as a result of putting it in the fire, soon the pain will vanish, and the ability to learn.
I was trying to make the point as clear as I could by reducing it to a sort of equation. But if you think doing that changes the discussion, we can keep it the form you have been using.

If you burn yourself on a hot stove, then you learn not to do it again. That doesn't mean it's impossible for you to do so again, but you are unlikely too. Nevertheless, aside from all that, if God knows you are going to burn your hand on the stove tomorrow at 8am, can you do otherwise? If yes, then God was wrong and not omniscient. If no, then you have no free will.
truth

Perth, Australia

#456162 Jun 25, 2013
see
canon ca non
nano=technology
non afternoon

good day
good afternoon

San Francisco

#456163 Jun 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
If a god allows a devil to tempt, then the god is part of that "evil" plan.
Silly stuff indeed!
Exactly so.

As Epicurus said:

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

You can't have an omnipotent God which is only semi-responsible. If God created everything, and has power over everything, then that necessarily includes sin and evil.

And when you ask a member of the Abrahamic religions about such an obvious flaw in their ideology, the response you get is something along the lines of "you lack 'spiritual understanding'" or "God is mysterious" or some other mumbling obfuscation like that.

“HAVE A BLESSED ”

Since: Aug 08

New Year

#456164 Jun 25, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Am I missing something?
-Adam was kicked out of the garden before he could eat from the Tree of Life and become immortal.
-Therefore Adam was not immortal to begin with.
-Therefore, Adam would have died regardless of eating from the other tree (of knowledge).
So again, God was either mistaken or lied when he told Adam he would die if he ate from either tree, and the snake told the truth.
No he was kicked out so coukd Not continue to eat if the tee of life.
Why do you think He and his descendants lived fir so many years.

They in the Garden ate all the fruit until they ate the forbidden fruit.
disciple

Temecula, CA

#456165 Jun 25, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>why don't you get you a notebook and write down who is a catholic.
DISCIPLE I NOT A CAtholic
No worries I've been called worse than that.
truth

Perth, Australia

#456166 Jun 25, 2013
time
3x kotac=wheele
cikacakacekacokacuka=cuka=dog
cika=eg=parabola
cake=kolac c oka=eye
z=zeye
posto tvoje zeje zeye z-eye if you push over neye
be good

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Scales Off 8,915
Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) 15 hr david 31
The Persecution No One Dares Name (Aug '13) 23 hr Islam Forbids 5
Pope's role in Cuba deal fractures Cuban-Americ... Wed swedenforever 11
Most Americans see combating climate change as ... Mar 3 Ed_Reid 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Mar 2 Jaimie 83,958
Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... Mar 1 Lawrence Wolf 2,021
More from around the web