Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 701412 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#456370 Jun 25, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
But how do you know either of those things are true?
<quoted text>
Well, if God knows the outcome, can you do otherwise? That's exactly what I'm asking.
In other words, for example, does God know before you were born how your life will go, and whether you will be sent to Heaven or Hell upon your death? And if God knows these things, aren't they your fate? If you truly had free will, then God would not know the outcome until you freely decided it.
wilderide:

We know things are true by beginning with presuppositions, and then reasoning them out. So I had to start with the presupposition that God is omniscient, and you did not. Its as simple as that.

You are just restating the posit you made, and it doesn't get past your presupposition that God's omniscience doesn't exist if free will exists.( Its in your last statement in the post here.) I pointed out in the last post that God is not definable, or beyond our ability to define. So what you need to do is present an argument to me that God is definable, and not beyond our ability to define. And that is going to be tough for you, since a definable God is necessarily finite, and it is accepted God in eternal/infinite. So the onus is on you to show how God's omniscience is contrary to free-will.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#456371 Jun 25, 2013
Catholics teach all born are guilty of the original sin of Adam and Eve.. This was God's reaction to same: Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return. And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever: Therefore the LORD God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken. So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life... Where does He say: And from this day forth, all newborn will have their soul stained with the original sin of Adam/Eve....or words to that affect...
youtube

AOL

#456372 Jun 25, 2013

ANTICHRIST ..on world stage

Human Being

Ville Platte, LA

#456373 Jun 25, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Anthony MN"
They tried for 250 years, but the blood of the martyrs in Catholic Church at Rome and elsewhere was seed for the faithful. Jesus founded the Catholic Church Kay. 2000 years later, whether you like it or not, the gates of hell have not prevailed.
It isn't a matter of what I like, Anthony. I've known some good Catholics who love the Lord...but there is still much with the CC that needs to be corrected.
And yes, we've got a lot of good Protestants who love the Lord, but on both sides there are those who consider themselves 'better' than others...and some Protestant 'dogma' needs to be corrected.
All of both need to honor God, and their fellow Christians more. And all who profess to be Christian should be more Christlike.
It is shameful to read this forum, and read the shameful, hurtful things that are said about people.
Most Christians don't consider themselves 'sinners'...but most will wound the heart of their own 'loved'(?) ones over some disagreement. This wounds the heart of God...and it is SIN.
An old time hymn says of the gospel, that "it makes me love EVERYBODY". It's time that we believe the gospel.
KayMarie
confrinting-KayMarie

Very well said.

Amen. Amen.

Location hidden

#456374 Jun 25, 2013
893 Whadda bout it Dan...willing to learn...talk to me!!!! Thanks...

I found those listed....What I posted, evidently was sort of a recap of what is later gone into detail... But...I am having a difficulty with the first paragraph under that heading... Theologians distinguish a twofold necessity, which they call a necessity of means (medii) and a necessity of precept (pręcepti). The first (medii) indicates a thing to be so necessary that, if lacking (though inculpably), salvation can not be attained. I can see, by their thinking, where Joh 3:5, and Mt 28:18-19, supports it. The second (pręcepti) is had when a thing is indeed so necessary that it may not be omitted voluntarily without sin; yet, ignorance of the precept or inability to fulfill it, excuses one from its observance.

What Scripture teaches: ignorance of the precept or inability to fulfill it, excuses one from its observance.
truth

Perth, Australia

#456375 Jun 25, 2013
do you liked gun ..asked your nurse..
truth

Perth, Australia

#456376 Jun 25, 2013
Cannibal=did you find that..no why should be..someone need be mad..whats diploma people pride will do if honest people disappear?

Location hidden

#456377 Jun 25, 2013
21990 Dan....if you responded I missed it...or forgot.. Dan wrote: Luke 1:28 is the passage. Romans 3:23 deals with personal sin. Jesus Christ was without personal sin, I hope you'd admit. Mary was conceived without sin as to be a stainless vessel for the New Covenant.--------

Why are you refusing to answer my question?? Quote: What does this mean to you: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....

Location hidden

#456378 Jun 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
53 Then the Jews fell to disputing with one another, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 54 Whereupon Jesus said to them, Believe me when I tell you this; you can have no life in yourselves, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man, and drink his blood. 55 The man who eats my flesh and drinks my blood enjoys eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 56 My flesh is real food, my blood is real drink. 57 He who eats my flesh, and drinks my blood, lives continually in me, and I in him. 58 As I live because of the Father, the living Father who has sent me, so he who eats me will live, in his turn, because of me. 59 Such is the bread which has come down from heaven; it is not as it was with your fathers, who ate manna and died none the less; the man who eats this bread will live eternally.
Thanks for proving my words 100% correct..

The natural man cannot understand Scripture that was authored by the Holy Spirit for the Spirit of man... That is why you believe Christ taught that we are to literally eat His flesh and drink His blood!!!! Which are acts of cannibals!!!!

Location hidden

#456379 Jun 25, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what the metaphor is and so does the pope. You, being hopelessly clueless, try to play words games in order avoid appearing the idiot you are, but it's too late. Not sure how you did it, but even the fundies think so too.
You look great with egg all over your face...stop trying to wipe it off!!!
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#456380 Jun 25, 2013
OldJG wrote: OldJG wrote: There seems to be much confusion on this forum. Are the Roman Catholics stating the church catholic (universal)is the same animal as the Roman Catholic church of today? If so, who moved the center of Christianity from Jerusalem to Rome? Why the change? Why all the focus on Rome? Did Jesus tell the apostles to build the vatican? Did Peter wear one of those funny little hats the popes wear? How about the capes? Do the popes wear the capes because they believe they are the Superman of Christianity? Has anyone seen them fly? Cly said, quote, "Then what happened to the small c Christian Church?" End quote. Cly, it is the small "c" catholic church. The small "c" catholic "universal" church was resurrected in the Reformation. Cayl said, quote, "How come Catholicism is remarkably similar before the Roman Empire legalized the faith, and after?" End quote. It is not. Carl said, quote, "If you believe Christ commanded the Bible be the sole authoRity on his Ministry, could you kindly state book, chapter and verse where he says it?" End quote. Why was the Bible written? Did God write it for exercise? Why didn't God ever mention Roman Catholic in His Bible? What other authority would there be for God if not the very inspired Word of God? Is it Rome? LOL LOL LOL LOL The popes? LOL LOL LOL LOL Maybe you Cly? You might tell us is was the margarine but I believe it might have been the butter? What do you think Cyal? LOL LOL LOL LOL Aylc said, quote, "Do you think the title 'Roman' Catholic has something to do with the 'Roman Empire'? If so, could you explain why." End quote. Roman Catholic.....Roman Empire.....hand and glove. The state and the church were run by the same people. Pretty simple. Cly said, quote, "How come your interpretations of scripture are not the same as the first Christians and the Catholic Church's interpretations are? looks like you're going to need to play stupid to sidestep these facts." End quote. We Christians leave the "stupid sidestep" to you Roman Catholics. Our interpretations of the Bible are exactly the same as the first Christians. You Roman Catholics are the corrupters!
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Couple lies in your post old fella. You are a Deacon of Jesus Christ so I would think you'd be concerned about spreading untruths(he he)
'Roman' Catholic are not called so because of any 'hand and glove' connection to the Roman Empire. In fact the Roman Empire was long gone before Protestants (Anglicans) decided to label the Catholic Church 'Roman'. This was done around the 17th century. And they didn't apply it because of any affiliation to the Roman Empire either. They did it because they thought they were another branch of the Catholic Church, so they wanted to separate us with a title. In fact, it was a bit of a slur along with 'Papist' Cathlics, Romanish Catholics...
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_ (term)
For the Catholic Church, the title 'Roman' isn't an official title. In all the 16 documents of Vatican II,'Roman' is never used. Now I heard a Priest explain to me, that the title has to do with the 'Roman' rite, but it doesn't sound like that is entirely accurate either. I heard others say it was because of the Roman Curia that we have that name. That isn't accurate either. The bottom line is that the title 'Roman' grew rapidly and the Church didn't really care what the world labeled them. Today, they use it as the a reference to the Diocese of Rome, where the headquarters are.
www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/churb3.htm
So you keep telling your Bible students that Constantine put that title there...ok?
Lies? No lies. Are you going to tell us the Roman Empire had nothing to do with the Roman Catholic church and vice versa? The true capital of Christianity is Jerusalem. Why have your popes NEVER sat in Jerusalem? Also, how many popes have visited Israel since 1948?
truth

Perth, Australia

#456381 Jun 25, 2013
pro-brasno is gone
truth

Perth, Australia

#456382 Jun 25, 2013
is that bread pro tein ten inee
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo

sin coming in within
as well out too..
byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Location hidden

#456383 Jun 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 24:13-35
Jesus approached the two men who were talking about him. they did not recognize him OR the scriptures until Christ sat down and took out some bread, blessed it, broke it and gave it to them.
The two men explained that Christ was not known to them UNTIL the breaking of the Bread (Eucharist). luke 24:35
No wonder you guys cant understand the scriptures... you don't partake in the Eucharist!
"Eucharist" is an invention of Catholics......

Recalling these words of Jesus, the Catholic Church professes that, in the celebration of the Eucharist, bread and wine become the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit and the instrumentality of the priest.

The truth is:
The Lord's Supper is a symbolic act of obedience whereby members of the church, through partaking of the bread and the fruit of the vine, memorialize the death of the Redeemer and anticipate His second coming.
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#456384 Jun 25, 2013
[QUOTE who="Human Being
People approach the Truth on different levels.
[/QUOTE]

Surely you jest!

From your perception, is Catholicism simply a different "level" than Islam or Judaism or Hinduism, et cetera?
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#456385 Jun 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
We live in the same world, our definitions are different because our world-views are different.
Precisely. We have "concepts" of truth, which could be way OFF the mark of truth ... if such a thing as absolute truth even exists, which is anybody's guess, or concept.

It's all about ifs, and ifs are not necessarily facts.

Location hidden

#456386 Jun 25, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 24:13-35
Jesus approached the two men who were talking about him. they did not recognize him OR the scriptures until Christ sat down and took out some bread, blessed it, broke it and gave it to them.
The two men explained that Christ was not known to them UNTIL the breaking of the Bread (Eucharist). luke 24:35
No wonder you guys cant understand the scriptures... you don't partake in the Eucharist!
by Archbishop Michael J. Sheehan

Recently, a Gallup poll was taken on Catholic attitudes toward Holy Communion. The poll showed serious confusion among Catholics about one of the most basic beliefs of the Church.

Only 30 percent of those surveyed believe they are actually receiving the Body and Blood, soul and divinity of the Lord Jesus Christ under the appearance of bread and wine.

29 percent think they are receiving bread and wine which symbolize the spirit and teachings of Jesus and, in so doing, are expressing their attachment to His person and words.

10 percent understand their action to be receiving bread and wine in which Jesus is present.

and 23 percent hold that they are receiving what has become the Body and Blood of Christ because of their personal belief.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#456387 Jun 25, 2013
[QUOTE who="Human BeingSo I had to start with the presupposition that God is omniscient, and you did not.[/QUOTE]

You didn't HAVE to. You CHOSE to.

People created god-myths long before the Christian myth ever came on the scene ... and they were also certain that they were favorites of their gods.

Religion is nothing new. It is just repetitive.
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#456388 Jun 25, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
confrinting-KayMarie
Very well said.
Amen. Amen.
So if you agree that things in Catholicism need correcting ... what parts do you believe are true???

Would it by chance be the part about you being saved and rewarded with eternal bliss and others going to spend eternity in hell???

:)
June VanDerMark

Prince George, Canada

#456389 Jun 25, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
"Eucharist" is an invention of Catholics......
Some Catholics claim it came from Judaism.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

From Jewish Passover to Christian Eucharist: The Story of the Todah

Todah and Jesus

The importance of the todah as a backdrop for Jesus and the Last Supper comes into sharp focus when we realize that in Jesus' day the Greek word that would best translate the Hebrew todah was eucharistia, which also means "thanksgiving."

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/apo...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Married in 10,772
News What Pope Francis and Obama may talk about (Sep '15) May 8 Serial deserters 54
News Alfie Evans' dad meets POPE to plead for asylum... Apr 24 C Kersey 1
News Pope writes Chile's bishops after receiving sex... Apr '18 Wisdom of Ages 1
News Vatican nixes former Irish president from Women... Apr '18 dubiecatholicarch... 3
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Apr '18 helpful links 40
News 'Hell does not exist,' says Pope Francis Apr '18 thepopeonthetwit 3