Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
439,641 - 439,660 of 532,629 Comments Last updated 50 min ago

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

OldJG wrote:
Roman Catholic Dogma.....?????
One lie after another. Where do the lies end and the truth begin?
Are only the religious myths that others value based on lies ... or to be fair, could it be that all myths in all religions (including yours) are based on lies???

:)
Human Being

Welsh, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe I should have been clearer.
One does not need "organized religion"?
Do you always allow men to decide what you are to believe?
If the answer is "no", then Self has interjected.
New Age Spiritual Leader

But how much poorer in our understanding would we be, for lack of perspective through time if we did not have organized religion?

Being self/Self aware, and forgetting everything else is sort of a mind game, and lends oneself to be easily manipulated. There is a sense of isolation, when in fact Creation has a sort of flow. If you don't know where you came from, then how will you get to where you want to go?

So without organized religion, there is a lack of dimension in our lives.

But also I would agree with you that one can be distracted by organized religion from seeking a goal, and be in a sense "content" without moving toward a goal. Of course I call that being "at one" with God. You may call it..., Self. I call it worship, you may call it enlightenment.

So we beg to differ. Its fine with me.

Fraser Lake, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
The SBC does not teach that baptism is necessary for Salvation....regeneration..... .but Catholics do....both cannot possibly be right...
WAIT! My hand is up. Let me guess. Your belief is the only right one.

Did I get the right answer???

Human Being

Welsh, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Today's Gospel (luke 9:18-24) was read throughout the world at all Catholic Masses. The Priest at the Cathedral of Saint Paul where I attend, delivered a beautiful homily about 'picking up our crosses and following Christ'. He talked about the new and vibrant evangelization and how the Catholic Church is on the verge of something big. He sees things today that he hasn't seen in his 20 yrs as a Priest. During the day, strangers walk thru the doors of the Cathedral and quietly walk around. Of course, its a beautiful Church and a tourist attraction, so thats not necessarily uncommon. But he is seeing a different 'type' coming thru the doors. Mothers with children; Grandmothers with grandchildren asking about the Catholic faith! They are not admiring the artwork. They are seeking God. Many were raised in the Protestant communities and were led to believe negative stuff their whole lives about the Church.
A Grandmother walked in the the Church with her Grandaughter.(She wanted to introduce her to Christianity because her daughter wouldn't to do it.) The 7 or 8 yr old was able to see Our Lord thru the icons, statues and other artwork throughout the Church. Thru a child's eyes, Christianity can be revealed by paintings. In an hour, this child was able to grasp Christianity without ever picking up a Bible. She could see the birth, the Apostles, the passion and crucifixion; the weeping of Mary at the foot of the cross; the Michaelangelo Pieta of Mary holding the crucified Lord in her arms; she saw how Christ came back from the dead and showed himself to His Mother and other Apostles. This is profound thru a kids eyes.
I rambled on too long. But I do think the Holy Spirit is starting to call people back to their home. Perhaps that's a sign of Christ's imminent return.
Clay

Very nice story.

Our priest does a very, very good job of bringing all three scripture readings together, every Sunday, including this week.

And somewhere in the homily he makes the case for the new evangelization as well. And this week did an excellent job as well.

For some unknown reason, today we had about 1/3 more people at Mass, than general. And for as small town, that is impressive.

Fraser Lake, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
But how much poorer in our understanding would we be, for lack of perspective through time if we did not have organized religion?
Why don't you be honest and say ... "But how much poorer in our understanding would we be, for lack of perspective through time if we did not have MY Catholic religion?"

You don't give a rat's ass about those in other religions, OR those who go to hell in your own religion. It's all about your Catholic religion and your own concept of your own salvation.

And that Is the truth ... or you would not BE a Catholic.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
OH ... so then your "newly revised" story IS that everybody that disagrees on the meanings of scriptures can be right ... according to you???
June

In deference to another, I would prefer to be wrong. But since this forum allows us to discuss things, it would be wrong for me to not explain my beliefs, I most instances.

In explaining what I understand, I can do it in a gracious and loving manner, or not. It is my preference to do so, as I believe it is what I am, a Christian.

You need not do so, as you claim you are not a Christian. I am sorry if this is a source of frustration for you. But things are what they often seem to be.
Human Being

Welsh, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you be honest and say ... "But how much poorer in our understanding would we be, for lack of perspective through time if we did not have MY Catholic religion?"
You don't give a rat's ass about those in other religions, OR those who go to hell in your own religion. It's all about your Catholic religion and your own concept of your own salvation.
And that Is the truth ... or you would not BE a Catholic.
June:

I care about each person equally, which is difficult to convey in words without action.

I can generally communicate with greater ease with someone with whom I am acquainted, and know, to enter a conversation, not to take it over, but to find commonalities on which to build.

What is your purpose? It seems you care enough to give your opinion, but are unwilling to receive opinions, especially when you disagree.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

Catholic quote Matt 28:18-19 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:{teach...: or, make disciples, or, Christians of all nations}

And teach:Theologians distinguish a twofold necessity, which they call a necessity of means (medii) and a necessity of precept (prścepti). The first (medii) indicates a thing to be so necessary that, if lacking (though inculpably), salvation can not be attained.

baptizo, to immerse, submerge; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism:--Baptist, baptize, wash.

Would some one show me, from the definition of water...its saving power!!!!

Plus....they conveniently omit verse 20: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Which, per verse 19, teaching comes first, then baptizing. So, the act of baptizing, as the SBC teaches, in and of itself has no saving power....none...zilch...
LTM

Sudbury, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

June VanDerMark wrote:
Is this an example of being "godly?"
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>
Sex Lives of the Popes Ö by Nigel Cawthorne Ö first published in Great Britain in 1996.ĎAn irreverent exposeíóThe Sunday Times.
Clement VI began a period of unbridled luxury. He bought in forty different types of gold cloth from Syria, silk from Tuscany and fine linen from Rheims, Paris and Flanders. Fur was considered a luxury and was restricted to knights, pages, squires, gentlemen of the bedchamber and ladies of the court. Nevertheless Clement VI used up 1080 ermine pelts Ė 68 for a hood, 430 for a cape, 310 for a mantle, 150 more for two more hoods, 64 for yet another hood, 30 for a hat, 80 for a large hood and 88 for birettas or papal capes.
You have no life outside this thread you poor dear.
so you lot in life is to try and bring people in to the man made hell you have created for yourself.
I guess misery really does like company.

“Greatest Love”

Since: Aug 08

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
So, believing that a god of the Jews loves your style of Christianity dies nit come naturally???
No June and you are too intelligent to think.I said that.

Wanting to.be RIGHT in an argument is natural fir humans.

You insist your way is right all the time..Is a natural human thing..though you seem to have it as full time occupation

Allowing God to prompt us to be calm and stop arguing is unnatural .
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

Dangers of donating to the Roman Catholic church:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/ar...

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
Catholic quote Matt 28:18-19 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:{teach...: or, make disciples, or, Christians of all nations}
And teach:Theologians distinguish a twofold necessity, which they call a necessity of means (medii) and a necessity of precept (prścepti). The first (medii) indicates a thing to be so necessary that, if lacking (though inculpably), salvation can not be attained.
baptizo, to immerse, submerge; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism:--Baptist, baptize, wash.
Would some one show me, from the definition of water...its saving power!!!!
Plus....they conveniently omit verse 20: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Which, per verse 19, teaching comes first, then baptizing. So, the act of baptizing, as the SBC teaches, in and of itself has no saving power....none...zilch...
If I understand you adult Baptism after being saved has no power in and of itself. It's a symbol.of obedience and rebirth.
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

The most wicked and dreadful society ever assembled.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
If I understand you adult Baptism after being saved has no power in and of itself. It's a symbol.of obedience and rebirth.
Before you are baptized you must come to believe that you are a sinner in need of a Savior.(Romans 3:23). You must also believe that Christ died on the cross to atone for your sins, that He was buried, and that He was resurrected to assure your place in heaven (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). You then turn to Jesus, asking Him to forgive your sins and to be your Lord and Savior, and the moment you do that you are born again, your eternal salvation is guaranteed, and you begin to die to yourself and live for Christ (1 Peter 1:3-5). At this time you are qualified to be Biblically baptized.

Baptism illustrates a believerís identification with Christís death, burial, and resurrection.

Romans 6:3-4, 3 "Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."

The action of being immersed in the water pictures dying and being buried with Christ. The action of coming out of the water illustrates Christís resurrection. As a result, baptism by immersion is the only method of baptism which illustrates being buried with Christ and being raised with Him. Baptism by sprinkling and/or pouring came into practice as a result of the unbiblical practice of infant baptism.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
The Word of God forbids me to give to you what is Holy...
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
You can shove your defamation up your ass where it belongs bigot.
Make sure you swallow real hard so you will be able to talk after you do.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I reckon those of us who study history are more often than not also re-lying on words written by other liars.
Stories are usually embellished by the tellers of the tales.
As one Native-Indian chief stated many years ago ... "The white man wrote all the stories, and the white man told many lies."
In religion we read or hear that the deities worshipped by the ancients were false, but this new model of a god is real.
How funny is THAT???
It's really not funny at all...it is sick.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Judged:

RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So, the act of baptizing, as the SBC teaches, in and of itself has no saving power....none...zilch...

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Before you are baptized you must come to believe that you are a sinner in need of a Savior.(Romans 3:23). You must also believe that Christ died on the cross to atone for your sins, that He was buried, and that He was resurrected to assure your place in heaven (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). You then turn to Jesus, asking Him to forgive your sins and to be your Lord and Savior, and the moment you do that you are born again, your eternal salvation is guaranteed, and you begin to die to yourself and live for Christ (1 Peter 1:3-5). At this time you are qualified to be Biblically baptized.
Baptism illustrates a believerís identification with Christís death, burial, and resurrection.
Romans 6:3-4, 3 "Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."
The action of being immersed in the water pictures dying and being buried with Christ. The action of coming out of the water illustrates Christís resurrection. As a result, baptism by immersion is the only method of baptism which illustrates being buried with Christ and being raised with Him. Baptism by sprinkling and/or pouring came into practice as a result of the unbiblical practice of infant baptism.
Yes Jg..I know all of that.was trying to find out what he believed
BAPTISTS believe.

We do not get saved by BAPTISM..

Baptism comes after the born again experience you described.if one dies before one is baptized..one is still saved.
If one does not get immersed.He is saved

The immersion is as you say symbolic of the new life as A Christian..and in obedience.We do it..

For myself I can honestly say I was in no way pressured into it.

We took a few classes before..religious instruction.

We professed faith..But never were told the Baptism was a vehicle for salvation

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

And Catholics say they don't worship Mary!!!! Da pope he be pray to her!!!! Not to God...Not to Jesus...but to God's self professed handmaiden!!!!

Da pope he do pray:
Mother of the silence that preserves the mystery of God, deliver us from the idolatry of the present, to which those who forget are condemned. Purify the eyes of pastors with the balm of memory:that we might return to the freshness of the beginning, for a praying and penitent Church.
Mother of the beauty that blossoms from fidelity to daily work, remove us from the torpor of laziness, of pettiness, and defeatism. Cloak Pastors with that compassion that unifies and integrates: that we might discover the joy of a humble and fraternal servant Church.
Mother of the tenderness which enfolds in patience and mercy, help us burn away the sadness, impatience, and rigidity of those who have not known what it means to belong.
Intercede with your Son that our hands, our feet and our hearts may be swift: that we may build the Church with the truth in charity.
Mother, we will be the People of God, on pilgrimage towards the Kingdom. Amen.

“Greatest Love”

For His Creation

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
004<quoted text>
So, the act of baptizing, as the SBC teaches, in and of itself has no saving power....none...zilch...
Nope ..not what I was taught in my Baptist church .

Having been raised Catholic I had all sorts of misconceptions on Baptists..But I could not have found a more Christ like congregation.

The longer I went there...the more I spoke with the pastor..the mire I learned.

And it was over a year till I asked to be Baptized.

They accepted me a a Christian long before that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr Ecko 8,126
More 22 hr True Christian witness 2
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... 22 hr Abdurratln 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes 23 hr ELIAS IBARRA 41
In Manila, Catholics pray for smooth succession (Mar '13) Jul 21 Anonymous 102
Serbian patriarch reportedly opposed to canoniz... Jul 21 Marko 3
Newlywed El Pasoan meets Pope Francis Jul 18 Imperial Chicano 6
•••
•••