Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 600083 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#454667 Jun 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Clay The last many many posts were all on theology. I talked about abuse long ago in terms of the hierarchy needed to change, so why are you using that. I guess even theological, historical and philosophical arguments get met with "you don't want the truth"
" you are picking on the church" "you are prejudice". Regina by the way Thomas was opposite of apophatic. If you guys cant run legitimately with the big dogs, just be yourselves and speak from the heart.None of you have ventured far out of the Catholic bubble of info.
No, Thomas was not the opposite of apophatic. Not sure where you picked that up from, but it's incorrect.

From Question 3 of the Summa: Since we cannot know concerning God what He is, but what He is not, we cannot consider about God in what way He is, but rather in what way He is not. First therefor it is to be considered in what way He is not; secondly in what way He is known by us; thirdly, in what way He is named

St. Thomas's approach is therefore apophatic. But there is an element lost on those who overemphasize this. St. Thomas, following the Fathers, particularly St. John Damascene, lays out a threefold manner in which we speak of God and apply
words to Him.

The "big dogs"? LOl...okay, Herme, whatever you say.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#454668 Jun 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you switch nics? do you think everyone is that stupid? You are a dissembler.
If you knew how to read you would have seen that I said I was kidding around with someone which is why I changed names. But now that you mention it, yeah you are that stupid.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#454669 Jun 20, 2013
who=" Anthony MN"
Preston said his bible is God. I assume he worships it. That is certainly closer to idol worship than venerating an icon or statue.

Do you mean that you would choose an icon or statue rather than the Bible???

KayMarie

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454670 Jun 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I can easily prove my Diety exists. That's why I'm Christian. Grant it, I can't prove it in a science lab... but I can't prove love in a science lab either.
I can prove that you're an idiot for stressing about somethin that supposedly doesn't exist! You do really believe God doesn't exist... right?
You can not "prove" your deity exists, but you still boast about its attributes. That is the problem, and why I call you on it.
I do not believe "YOUR" deity exists. The evidence is unsurmountably against the supposition or posit.

You don't seem to be able to "prove" anything, That's why I don't believe anything you say.

When you people stop threatening me with the wrath of your invisible deity, I will stop calling you on it.

Just who the hell do you arrogant derps think you are that you can get away with such nonsense anyway?
If you threaten me with something(anything) you had damn well be able to PROVE it or I will drag you through the mud with your accusation.
Have your deity strike me dead this very minute if it has one ounce of actuality attached to it, or shut up with the accusations and inuendos.
I am sick and tired of you and others BS in this respect.

Location hidden

#454671 Jun 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe you can offer an alternative scenario on our existence? Was it an alien lifeform that planted DNA on this planet and they'll be returning again someday to gather their data??
Face it Black dude, you guys offer equally bizarre scenarios on the origin of human beings. In fact, you guys basically deny the spirit and love as we believers understand it. To me, thats you failure.
Your reply is nothing more than deflection in answering the reality of the situation.
Grow up.
You are not talking to sunday school children here, we are rational adults. We will surely make fools of you if you proceed with such nonsensical rhetoric.
"Black dude"?
Are you attempting racial defamation with your slur?
It surely wouldn't surprise me any. Just look at your character and extremely limited capability of rational thinking.
You are dispicable

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#454672 Jun 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
Will someone please tell her the word is "ACCEPTING", not "expecting".
Sheesh, it figures. All brawn, no brain.
and whats in your little pea brain?..you know what I meant and if I misspelled a word BIG DEAL...you are FAR FROM PERFECT....

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#454673 Jun 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Thomas was not the opposite of apophatic. Not sure where you picked that up from, but it's incorrect.
From Question 3 of the Summa: Since we cannot know concerning God what He is, but what He is not, we cannot consider about God in what way He is, but rather in what way He is not. First therefor it is to be considered in what way He is not; secondly in what way He is known by us; thirdly, in what way He is named
St. Thomas's approach is therefore apophatic. But there is an element lost on those who overemphasize this. St. Thomas, following the Fathers, particularly St. John Damascene, lays out a threefold manner in which we speak of God and apply
words to Him.
The "big dogs"? LOl...okay, Herme, whatever you say.
In Orthodox theology, apophatic theology is taught as superior to cataphatic theology. While Aquinas felt positive and negative theology should be seen as dialetical correctives to each other, like thesis and antithesis producing a synthesis, Lossky argues, based on his reading of Dionysius and Maximus Confessor, that positive theology is always inferior to negative theology, a step along the way to the superior knowledge attained by negation.This is expressed in the idea that mysticism is the expression of dogmatic theology par excellence.

Catholicism was/is apophatic? LOL You missed a whole movement of the Cath Church that in the end failed called Scholasticism.

Location hidden

#454674 Jun 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
June, is that you?? I was wondering why you haven't been posting lately.
I am not June.
You obviously have gender issues.
Try some other form of deflection or defamation...this one isn't working very well...it makes you appear ignorant and irrational.

Location hidden

#454675 Jun 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
If you knew how to read you would have seen that I said I was kidding around with someone which is why I changed names. But now that you mention it, yeah you are that stupid.
you switched names so you could attack hermi and I under differant names..you sneaky little catholic...
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#454676 Jun 20, 2013
Selene100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the people of Antioch were the first to be called Christians. That is in the Bible. And the Bishop of Antioch (Ignatius) was the first person to use the word "Catholic". That is found in a first century historical document. So, history and archaeology is on our side.
Ignatius did not use the words Roman Catholic. He may have used the word.....catholic.....universa l. But never Roman Catholic. NEVER!

You have history and archaeology on your side? Really? Real Christians trust the Bible. Real Christians not Roman Catholics. Do you understand FINALLY!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#454677 Jun 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Preston said his bible is God. I assume he worships it. That is certainly closer to idol worship than venerating an icon or statue.
So you do admit Catholics venerate icons and statues..

venerate - worship - show devotion to (a deity); "Many Hindus worship Shiva"

Location hidden

#454678 Jun 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you switch nics? do you think everyone is that stupid? You are a dissembler.
she switches nics so she can do her dirty work and then come back as the good little catholic.Hermi and I are her targets since we wont side up with the catholic church...now isnt that stupid...lol....
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#454679 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus proclaims the necessity of Baptism:
John 3:5
Jesus instructs the Apostles to baptize:
Matthew 28:18-20
New International Version (NIV)
18 Then Jesus came to them and said,“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Fish in a barrel.
You are revealing your lack of understanding again. What did I ask of you? Here it is again. Maybe if you read it slow you would understand it better. Missed the mark again hey Danny boy. Did Jesus ever tell the apostles to baptize anyone for the salvation of the person being baptized was the other part of the question.

Dan said, quote, "Jesus said it's necessary and instructed the Apostles to baptize." End quote.

Chapter and verse where Jesus mandated baptism as salvanic and instructed the apostles to baptize? Oh, that's right. You will invoke your "tradition" card verses Biblical truth. LOL LOL

Location hidden

#454680 Jun 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you Regina. I think you're telling the truth.
Although I admire the Orthodox faith and I think Herm and Sera are passionate Orthodox... I thought it was ' interesting' they'd bring up the abuse scandal- implying its not equally a problem in their religion as ours. I guess that was red flag that they may not be as interested in truth as we all hoped.
Did you know that the rate of HIV infection is 4 times higher in the cathaholic church organization than the national average?
Something any parent of children molested and raped by the pedophile priests should be extremely concerned about.
Yes! The abuse scandal is owned by your church, and your church only, and is a MAJOR problem to society.
It is NOT just something to be swept under the rug.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#454681 Jun 20, 2013
Danny boy this is for you. Please answer ALL of the questions.

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus was baptized.
We are to emulate Him.
Jesus said it's necessary and instructed the Apostles to baptize.
We are to obey His teaching.
Do you have other questions?

You are a slippery little mackerel snapper aren't you? Try answering the questions and not side stepping the questions little Roman boy. Here they are again so you can answer each question one by one. OK?

If Jesus is our example, and He is, please answer these questions for all on this forum.
1. How was Jesus baptized
2. At what age was Jesus baptized
3. Did Mary have Jesus baptized as a baby
4. Was Jesus baptized by sprinkling or immersion
5. Was the baptism of Jesus the same as your baptism
6. Why was Jesus baptized

Matthew 3:13-17, 13 "Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him. 14 John would have prevented him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?" 15 But Jesus answered him, "Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness." Then he consented. 16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him; 17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, "This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased."

You said, quote, "Jesus said it's necessary and instructed the Apostles to baptize." End quote.

Chapter and verse where Jesus mandated baptism as salvanic and instructed the apostles to baptize? Oh, that's right. You will invoke your "tradition" card verses Biblical truth. LOL LOL

Location hidden

#454682 Jun 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not June.
You obviously have gender issues.
Try some other form of deflection or defamation...this one isn't working very well...it makes you appear ignorant and irrational.
BINGO!!!! lol...
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#454683 Jun 20, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
No thinking person believes that Constantine founded the Catholic church.
He simply recognized it and decriminalized it in Rome.
No thinking person denies the Judaic roots of Christianity.
Danny boy said, quote, "No thinking person believes that Constantine founded the Catholic church." End quote.

Constantine was not the founder of the catholic church. Constantine was the founder of your cult, the ROMAN CATHOLIC church. Comprende'

Danny boy said, quote, "No thinking person denies the Judaic roots of Christianity." End quote.

Christianity has its roots in Judaism. The Roman Catholic church does not.

Location hidden

#454684 Jun 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so you're a fundie! You should have said so from the start. No wonder!
You can assume anything you wish, It is what you do when you believe in a deity that you can not even prove exists, so you should be great at making incorrect assumptions.
I already told you I do not believe in your deity.
You must be incompetent or completely stupid to think I could be a fundamentalist crister.
How's that for arrogance? That is what you called me isn't it? Arrogant and rude? I will now give you what you ask for.
Just remember--you asked for it.
ReginaM

Toms River, NJ

#454685 Jun 20, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>In Orthodox theology, apophatic theology is taught as superior to cataphatic theology. While Aquinas felt positive and negative theology should be seen as dialetical correctives to each other, like thesis and antithesis producing a synthesis, Lossky argues, based on his reading of Dionysius and Maximus Confessor, that positive theology is always inferior to negative theology, a step along the way to the superior knowledge attained by negation.This is expressed in the idea that mysticism is the expression of dogmatic theology par excellence.
Catholicism was/is apophatic? LOL You missed a whole movement of the Cath Church that in the end failed called Scholasticism.
Yes, particularly those of the Thomist stripe, as I said. Also as I said, but not as radically as the Orthodox who overemphasize it and thereby lose something. What some people lack is the idea of analogy, which is a type of equivocation by reason. What analogy allows us to do is to understand that the terms as understood by us are limits on what they describe, and we can place no limits on God but at the same time recognize a real similarity of being.

Sorry, Herme, but yes, you are prejudiced. That's okay, we get it.

Glad to hear you're doing better.

Location hidden

#454686 Jun 20, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
What sorta proof do you demand? Lol. If the Judeo-Christian God went on CNN Tonight and proved He was the one that created life, you'd reject Him anyway!!! No?
I bet you my life savings, your free will would reject the God of Abraham because He does not share your ideology.
(hypothetically if He exists that is)
Pray to tour deity to strike me dead tonight.
If I am here after, your deity is BS.

How is that for proof.
I will stake my life on it...what do you have to lose?
If you don't take me up on it, you are a coward...I am not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Drudge Report asks: Is Pope Francis the Antichr... 7 min Edithbunker 1
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 22 min Mr Sir 9,602
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory 4 hr GTID62 289
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 11 hr Catholic24 84,332
News Hispanics energized by Argentinian pope's first... Jul 27 tomin cali 1
News Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... (Mar '14) Jul 26 pazuzu 91
News Pope previews long-awaited climate letter Jul 25 pazuzu 14
More from around the web