Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 701335 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#454576 Jun 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is some of the kind of thing I was referring to, Herme. We also hold in awe the mysteries of God and don't try to analyze every little thing. As well, we view the Church as a type of hospital for the illness of sin, Christ as the Divine Physician, and most certainly aim for closer union with God as opposed to being "adept" at dogma/theology. This is an error on your part; it's actually a prejudice. I'm not sure where you got it from but it's incorrect. Yes, we argue theology here as it is our doctrines which are being attacked, e.g. the Real Presence, the ever virginity of the Blessed Virgin. But legalism is actually a protestant construct. And those "serious" differences aren't quite so serious if one really takes a close look. That's also another prejudice, an attempt at distancing, but it's not quite accurate. I know there's only so much one can read, but there's quite a lot that proves you wrong. If a reunion doesn't happen, that's fine, too. So that's not where I'm coming from.
*sighs*

Always thinking you are superior to others.....

"we view the Church as a type of hospital for the illness of sin"

"we argue theology here as it is our doctrines which are being attacked"
- sounds like an insecurity toward faith....hmmmmm....but you will double talk your way out this or divert from it altogether. Ah the comforts of Catholicism.....

"but there's quite a lot that proves you wrong."
- I've proven you wrong much more than you have proven anything right.

Ego. It really will be your organization's downfall.

It will be interesting if Catholicism goes underground.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454577 Jun 20, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
You've COME TO LATE TO FEED YOUR FICTION TO ANY ON ON THIS FORUM...
You just do not want to accept the actuality.
Most cathaholics don't.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#454578 Jun 20, 2013
739
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Mary was a virgin
.when Jesus was conceived..
Are all Catholics like that???

Squint your eyes...that helps some time..

I stated what the definition (which is the meaning of a word or words) of "highly favoured" does not mean...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454579 Jun 20, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it fiction? It's Jews interpreting their own texts.
Or do Christians suppose that they know the Hebrew texts better than the authors themselves?
Well, yes, their pastards know more than the people who actually wrote the darn things.
Why can't you understand that?

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#454580 Jun 20, 2013
938 939
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus said "Take and eat, this IS My body." He did NOT say "Take and eat, this SYMBOLIZES My body. "
I believe it because JESUS said it, not because the Pope did.
cannibal: A person who eats the flesh of other humans.

Only Catholics and their ilk, believe Christ taught cannibalism....

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454581 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
The Orthodox Church does not need the catholic church.The catholic church needs the Orthodox Church.Thats why the catholic church is changing some of their beliefs back to the Orthodox beliefs.ie..Mary may or may not have died before the Assumption,(Orthodox believe she did die)purgatory is not a specific place,(Orthodox does not believe in purgatory)etc.
I bet she just floated off into the sky with her kids hanging into her ankles. They fell off and died from the fall,...that's why you never heard if them again, I bet ya...
Some of this stuff I am reading is just plain ridiculous and insane thinking!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#454582 Jun 20, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is some of the kind of thing I was referring to, Herme. We also hold in awe the mysteries of God and don't try to analyze every little thing. As well, we view the Church as a type of hospital for the illness of sin, Christ as the Divine Physician, and most certainly aim for closer union with God as opposed to being "adept" at dogma/theology. This is an error on your part; it's actually a prejudice. I'm not sure where you got it from but it's incorrect. Yes, we argue theology here as it is our doctrines which are being attacked, e.g. the Real Presence, the ever virginity of the Blessed Virgin. But legalism is actually a protestant construct. And those "serious" differences aren't quite so serious if one really takes a close look. That's also another prejudice, an attempt at distancing, but it's not quite accurate. I know there's only so much one can read, but there's quite a lot that proves you wrong. If a reunion doesn't happen, that's fine, too. So that's not where I'm coming from.
Perhaps an error but not prejudice. I can stiff that kind of stuff out in anything I read and quickly toss it out. I read diversified material from different sources-some theological, some historical etc. This did not just appear overnight but started with the advent od scholasticism- with the Cappadicians going the more mystical way and the westerns discovering Plato and Aristotle and trying to use philosophy to explain theology. The Greeks went with the apophatic way of thinking. I have never heard any of the western theologians write about this concept. Mysticism, theosis, and deification never really captivated the west as it did in the east, although they did also have their mystics. My position regarding the east as a hospital goes back to the west adopting Aquinas' version of sin (Original Sin)and sin as a violation verses the East going with sin as a separation from God (Ancestral Sin)- not stressed as much by the West. As a result you have the west using the concept of penances, temporal punishments, indulgences etc. with confession. The east used the Priest helping to advise the person spiritually for God to heal them.I do not say one way is better than the other. I say they are different and say which one is a good fit for me.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454583 Jun 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The bible doesn't say the bible is sufficient.
The bible doesn't even say bible.
The bible doesn't have an insipred table of contents.
The Catholic Church decided what books made up the bible.
St. Paul was referring to the OT when he said this to St. Timothy because the NT wasn't written yet.
St. Paul says oral traditions are just as important.
The bible doesn't say all oral traditons were later recorded in the bible.
sola scriptura debunked.
Prove your deity exists...oh, that's right you can't...christianity debunked!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454584 Jun 20, 2013
alessandro alfieri wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! You're going to have to do better than that, little girl. "Because I said so" isn't a valid argument. Besides I think your mother is calling you, something about homework.
While you are busy defaming, prove to us all that your deity exists. LOL!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454585 Jun 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wrong.
"Following the announcement of Benedict XVI’s retirement, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, the chief hierarch of the Eastern Orthodox Churches, issued a statement expressing his profound respect and friendship to Benedict. Bartholomew honored Pope Benedict as an eminent theologian and reaffirmed his desire to keep dialogue open between Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christians “for the union of all.” Benedict and Bartholomew’s friendship has been marked by their common mission to restore Christian culture to Europe. The Russian Orthodox Church issued a similar statement thanking Benedict for his efforts to restore relations between the Vatican and the Moscow patriarchate.
Benedict XVI played an important role in modern efforts to heal the schism between the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Churches. Dialogue began in 1964 when Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I went together as pilgrims to Jerusalem. The work of restoring communion was renewed by Pope John Paul II and Patriarch Dimitrios I during the 1980s. Between 1980 and 2000 the Mixed Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church worked to find common ground that would lead to further unity. After a period of interruption, Benedict and Bartholomew reopened the work of the commission in 2007. Pope Benedict signed a joint statement with Patriarch Bartholomew in 2006 that renewed their commitment to building Christian unity and working together for the common good of humanity. Admittedly, progress has been slow—too slow for some critics, but then long histories of contention between alienated peoples take a lot of time to heal, Christian or not. Hasty reconciliation attempts between Rome and the Eastern Orthodox in the past did not prove successful. "
.......
" There is nothing like a common enemy to renew old alliances. Perhaps the best way forward for Catholics is to follow Benedict’s example and to befriend and cooperate with Orthodox Christians. United for the common good of defending Christian culture, this kind of ecumenism cannot fail to bear fruit and reestablish our fraternal bond. For all their differences, Catholics have much more in common with Orthodox believers than with Protestants. Orthodox and Catholics, alone, participate in the full sacramental life of the Church because of their common apostolic origins and traditions. Ut unum sint. "
About the Author
Christopher B. Warner
Christopher B. Warner, a former Marine Corps officer and veteran, is a graduate student of Orthodox theology at the Antiochian House of Studies. Christopher has a BA in Catholic theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio. He has worshipped with the Eastern Christian community since 2001, and currently serves as a cantor for his parish of St. George in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Christopher and his wife, Katy, are both teachers at Trinity Academy.
http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/2037/...
If you can't prove your deity exists, you are wrong about all your statements also... GET REAL!
Aretha 456

Bloomfield, NJ

#454586 Jun 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
*sighs*
Always thinking you are superior to others.....
"we view the Church as a type of hospital for the illness of sin"
"we argue theology here as it is our doctrines which are being attacked"
- sounds like an insecurity toward faith....hmmmmm....but you will double talk your way out this or divert from it altogether. Ah the comforts of Catholicism.....
"but there's quite a lot that proves you wrong."
- I've proven you wrong much more than you have proven anything right.
Ego. It really will be your organization's downfall.
It will be interesting if Catholicism goes underground.
On the contrary, my friend. I was merely agreeing with the points Herme made about his church. You see he said they also view their church as a hospital for the illness of sin. Isn't that nice? I love that analogy. So what do you think about that?? Or will you cease to make offensive comments now that you know it's not only a Catholic view? I suspect you will follow the crowd in that way.

It appears you didn't read the post I was responding to. I was referring to the writings of the Saints, the early Fathers, et al. Never said it was I who proved him wrong. You really shouldn't jump to conclusions that way. Another crowd pleaser.

Accusing Jesus of being egotistical won't help your case. He founded the Catholic Church, it's a simple fact, nothing egotistical or prideful about it. It's there for all, even you.
And, of course, he promised that the gates of hell would not prevail so there won't be any "downfall". Bummer for you.

Oh, and you might want to inform your birdie friend that not all posters on this forum are Catholic, and the Orthodox Church believes in water baptism. Yes, with real water. That is, of course, if you don't think doing so would reek too much of superiority. Wouldn't want to offend your sensibilities. Ahem....!
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#454587 Jun 20, 2013
Sorry nasl, I was fooling around with Herme and the name came back up again. This post should take care of it, I hope.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454588 Jun 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Making false claims again?
Unless you think many of these are accurate depictions of what should be done to people.
*sighs*
Why do you hate and want to kill people?
That's the way religionist indoctrinates are taught to think.
At that rate they are a danger to themselves and others, and need to be controled.
It depends upon the degree of insanity,

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454589 Jun 20, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>...leave the personal attacks out and defend with facts not insults..if you can,try
Good luch with that. There is no facts in their induced delusion.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454590 Jun 20, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
The Thessalonians were like the sola scriptura folks, "if I don't see it in black and white in the bible it ain't true!!!", the Bereans (the early Catholics/Orthodox), seeing that Jesus was not explicitly mentioned in the OT, belived St. Paul's ORAL preaching.
It's hard to believe that a fellow who fell off his ass, onto his ass, and had an epiphany(which I think might have meant he wet himself), could be believable...even to ignorant fools of the era, but you silly folks can fantasize all you want.
I think it was the invention of Roman theocractic elites as an effort to convert as many Pagan and fence sitting cristers as possible to control all the trouble caused by them in the failing empire at the time.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#454591 Jun 20, 2013
Aretha 456 wrote:
<quoted text>
On the contrary, my friend. I was merely agreeing with the points Herme made about his church. You see he said they also view their church as a hospital for the illness of sin. Isn't that nice? I love that analogy. So what do you think about that?? Or will you cease to make offensive comments now that you know it's not only a Catholic view? I suspect you will follow the crowd in that way.
It appears you didn't read the post I was responding to. I was referring to the writings of the Saints, the early Fathers, et al. Never said it was I who proved him wrong. You really shouldn't jump to conclusions that way. Another crowd pleaser.
Accusing Jesus of being egotistical won't help your case. He founded the Catholic Church, it's a simple fact, nothing egotistical or prideful about it. It's there for all, even you.
And, of course, he promised that the gates of hell would not prevail so there won't be any "downfall". Bummer for you.
Oh, and you might want to inform your birdie friend that not all posters on this forum are Catholic, and the Orthodox Church believes in water baptism. Yes, with real water. That is, of course, if you don't think doing so would reek too much of superiority. Wouldn't want to offend your sensibilities. Ahem....!
you loved that analogy so much you stole it from Hermi...last time we talked on the phone.You said so your self.I guess you forgot where you stole that from...lol...That was always the Orthodox churches point of view and never the catholics...who's ill now..lol

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#454592 Jun 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good luch with that. There is no facts in their induced delusion.
whats a luch?..lol....Ramen!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454593 Jun 20, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one who made the statement, the onus is on you, kid. I don't need to defend the Catholic Church, Christ has taken care of all of that and if you don't think your attacks on His Church aren't personal, you're even more clueless than you appear. YOu sound like a child, are you old enough to be on here?
Are you?
Can you prove your deity exists?
Who acts like a child here?
The one who believes in fantasy, or the one who believes in reality and proof of it?

Which one are you?
Clay

Brooklyn, NY

#454594 Jun 20, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove your deity exists...oh, that's right you can't...christianity debunked!
I can easily prove my Diety exists. That's why I'm Christian. Grant it, I can't prove it in a science lab... but I can't prove love in a science lab either.

I can prove that you're an idiot for stressing about somethin that supposedly doesn't exist! You do really believe God doesn't exist... right?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#454595 Jun 20, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Move past the words and understand their meanings.
Being canibals, cathaholics won't understand anything you are saying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 13 hr Married in 10,772
News What Pope Francis and Obama may talk about (Sep '15) May 8 Serial deserters 54
News Alfie Evans' dad meets POPE to plead for asylum... Apr 24 C Kersey 1
News Pope writes Chile's bishops after receiving sex... Apr '18 Wisdom of Ages 1
News Vatican nixes former Irish president from Women... Apr '18 dubiecatholicarch... 3
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Apr '18 helpful links 40
News 'Hell does not exist,' says Pope Francis Apr '18 thepopeonthetwit 3