Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
438,001 - 438,020 of 533,459 Comments Last updated 3 min ago

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 1:28 is the passage.
Romans 3:23 deals with personal sin. Jesus Christ was without personal sin, I hope you'd admit.
Mary was conceived without sin as to be a stainless vessel for the New Covenant.
Why are you refusing to answer my question??

Quote: What does this mean to you: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....
Dan

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Tiger Lily wrote:
The Jesuits owned slaves in Maryland up until the 1850s, and did not liberate them. They justified slavery, sold these human beings and used the money to set Georgetown University on a firm financial ground."
- National Catholic Reporter, by John Dear SJ on Jan. 08, 2008
Interesting.
Lots of people owned slaves in the US up through the 1860's.

Can you cite the article you've excerpted here?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
DO YO NOT UNDERSTAND THAT GOD'S PLAN OF SALVATION WAS SPOKEN FORTH BEFORE THE WORLDS WERE FRAMED.. AND THAT... TIME ..TO HIM ..........HAS NO ESSENCE
Do you not comprehend that..WHATEVER God spoke it forth IS AS GOOD as accomplished.
Have you not read in Genesis (ABOUT THE CREATION) that WHEN GOD SAID LET
THERE BE...
THERE WAS...
IT WAS ACCOMPLISHED..
FULFILLED...
DONE.
.MATERIALIZED...
----
GOD CANNOT LIE...
WHAT HE PLANS,
SPEAKS FORTH
IS AS GOOD AS ACCOMPLISHED
WHEN HE VERBALIZES IT.
GOD SAID IN
Isa_55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth:
it shall not return unto me void,
but it shall accomplish that which I please, and
it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
You are not meeting my needs...

Re 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.

I fail to see how that verse "fills the bill" of: Show me Scripture that teaches Christ lived on earth for some 33 years as the incarnate Son of God, was crucified, died, buried, and ascended into Heaven, before the NT...Please elucidate...

And, in the time period "before the foundation of the world" all I see is a vast space of nothing...a vacuum...no life of any sort...except God....so whom slew Him before the foundation of the world?

Where is my answer: so whom slew Him before the foundation of the world?
Dan

Wilmington, DE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you refusing to answer my question??
Quote: What does this mean to you: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....
It means what it says. Men are sinners.

Christ was an exception. I assume that you don't argue with me on that. Scripture teaches that Mary was an exception. Again, Luke 1:28.

Thanks

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, the KJV was WRITTEN by the "dead men...dubbed "Saint" from the "tradition" handed them beginning with the Apostles.
Your Bible may well have been so written...mine was written by men, who at the time were alive, and were inspired by the Holy Spirit of God....and did so write...

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
........and John 3:5 squares me with it.
Thanks!
Let us EXAMINE the DEFINITION of the words BORN AGAIN

BORN OF WATER..BORN OF THE FLESH

BORN OF THE SPIRIT....as used in JOHN 3:3-6

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee,
Except a man be BORN AGAIN,

G1080
&#947;&#949;&#957; &#957;&#945;&#769; &#969;
gennao&#772;
ghen-nah'-o
From a variation of G1085; to procreate (properly of the father, but by extension of the mother); figuratively to regenerate:- bear, beget, be born, bring forth, conceive, be delivered of, gender, make, spring.

he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man

be BORN OF WATER

G1080
gennao&#772;
ghen-nah'-o
From a variation of G1085; to procreate (properly of the father, but by extension of the mother); figuratively to regenerate:- bear, beget, be born, bring forth, conceive, be delivered of, gender, make, spring.

and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Joh 3:6

That which is BORN OF THE FLESH

G1080
gennao&#772;
ghen-nah'-o

is flesh; and

that which is BORN OF THE SPIRIT

G1080
gennao&#772;
ghen-nah'-o

is spirit.

Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee,

Ye must be BORN AGAIN

G1080
gennao&#772;
ghen-nah'-o

NOTE THE DEFINITIONS OF BEING BORN OF THE FLESH WATER AND OF THE

SPIRIT ARE THE SAME...

THERE IS NOT THE SLIGHTEST HINT ...HERE...THAT IT ALLUDES TO WATER

BAPTISM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

who="Dan"
I'll use the KJV to be fair.
"16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
.....in the passage, "perfect" isn't ascribed to "scripture". It describes the man of God.
Scripture is helpful to make the man of God perfect, thoroughly equipped, et. al.
It doesn't say that scripture is "sufficient" in Greek nor English.
2 Timothy is replete with citations where he tells that the message of the Gospel was taught by people. He didn't throw Bibles at people; he taught.
The fact that one relies on a 2 Tim. to tell how "profitable" the Bible is indicates that a teacher with authority is necessary.

The man of God is 'made perfect' by scripture. He is 'fully equipped' by scripture.

This man is the one who is authorized (by God and scripture) to teach the gospel.

KayMarie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

who="Dan"
Here.
I was baptized, which remitted my original sin and joined me to the Kingdom of God.
Good one, huh?

Not really, Dan. People are baptized BECAUSE and AFTER they have believed on JESUS...not a church program.

You obviously trust the CC; I would that your love were as obvious for Jesus and His people.

I can treat you...or any other person, of ANY creed, as 'worthy'...because of the love of God. You believe that Jesus is Lord because you've been told that, not because you have been moved to KNOW that He is YOUR Lord.

You are trusting in your CC baptism...not in HIM...

Blessings...
KayMarie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

who="Dan"
Nope.
He told me I could indeed bring about my own salvation.

Then you misunderstand. God has indeed provided salvation for you. You cannot 'bring it about', but, as a gift, you can accept it. Once you do that, you heart will know the joy of forgiveness. You will know the joy and peace that He gives.(That 'move' is not against any church...and it is personal/private.)

Jesus said, "He that believes AND is baptized, shall be saved."

Dan: Do you believe that Jesus Christ gave His life for YOU (as well as every man), so that you might be saved?

KayMarie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

who="Oxbow"
It is 13:8.....
I will need some help.
Re 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
I fail to see how that verse "fills the bill" of: Show me Scripture that teaches Christ lived on earth for some 33 years as the incarnate Son of God, was crucified, died, buried, and ascended into Heaven, before the NT...Please elucidate...
And, in the time period "before the foundation of the world" all I see is a vast space of nothing...a vacuum...no life of any sort...except God....so whom slew Him before the foundation of the world?

None of us were there 'before the foundation of the world', and none of us is God. So we will have to wait until that is revealed. Scripture tells us that they things that are revealed are ours, but the things that are NOT revealed are His.

God does do things by pattern, though. He showed Moses exactly how He wanted the tabernacle in the wilderness to be made. The temple in Jerusalem was designed the same way. Looking down on it from above, its pieces form a cross. Then, reading Revelations, we see that heaven's tabernacle is the pattern that God has used.

So you see, the CROSS was there in the O.T. tabernacle.(We were always on His mind.)

KayMarie

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

i WILL NOW ATTEMPT TO DEFINE

born ....1..AGAIN

born of...2. Water

born of ..3.FLESH

born of..4.SPIRIT

AS DEFINED IN GREEK FROM JOHN 3:3-6

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee,

Except a man be born 1.->AGAIN<- DEFINED IN GREEK

G509
&#945;&#787;&#769; &#957;&#969;&#952; &#949;&#957;
ano&#772;then
an'-o-then
From G507; from above; by analogy from the first; by implication anew:- from above, again, from the beginning (very first), the top.

Joh 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of

2.-->WATER<--... DEFINED IN GREEK

G5204
&#965;&#788;&#769; &#948;&#969;&#961; , &#965;&#788;&#769; &#948;&#945;&#964; &#959;&#962;
hudo&#772;r hudatos
hoo'-dor, hoo'-dat-os, etc.
From the base of G5205; water (as if rainy) literally or figuratively:- water.

and of the

3.-->SPIRIT <--...DEFINED IN GREEK

G4151
&#960;&#957;&#949; &#965;&#834;&#956; &#945;
pneuma
pnyoo'-mah
From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is,(human) the rational soul,(by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy spirit:- ghost, life, spirit (-ual,-ually), mind. Compare G5590.

he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

___

Joh 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is

4.-->FLESH DEFINED IN GREEK;

G4561
&#963;&#945;&#769; &#961;&#958;
sarx
sarx
Probably from the base of G4563; flesh (as stripped of the skin), that is,(strictly) the meat of an animal (as food), or (by extension) the body (as opposed to the soul (or spirit), or as the symbol of what is external, or as the means of kindred, or (by implication) human nature (with its frailties (physically or morally) and passions), or (specifically) a human being (as such):- carnal (-ly,+-ly minded), flesh ([-ly]).

and that which is born of the Spirit is

-->SPIRIT <--DEFINED IN GREEK

G4151
&#960;&#957;&#949; &#965;&#834;&#956; &#945;
pneuma
pnyoo'-mah
From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is,(human) the rational soul,(by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy spirit:- ghost, life, spirit (-ual,-ually), mind. Compare G5590.

he cannot see the kingdom of God.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

who="Oxbow"]919

What does this mean to you: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....
The following is the only "full of grace" I find in the NT and it is said regarding Christ... what Scripture are you reading that it is used regarding Mary???
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
BTW...John 1:14 clearly says Christ is not God...but is the only begotten Son of God..

You know, you are right. I always just accepted that because we hear it repeated so much.
Truth is, the most it says about 'grace' is when it tells how much of it is bestowed on US...

KayMarie

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
All I said was that they had a fish fry.
I didn't take a position as to whether the Orthodox ate the fish or not.
Why wouldn't an Orthodox eat fish during Lent?
I posted two links in past posts....look them up. And you implied that Orthodox did eat fish by posting the fish fry.No Orthodox eat fish during Lent.
Dust Storm

Pipestone, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>I posted two links in past posts....look them up. And you implied that Orthodox did eat fish by posting the fish fry.No Orthodox eat fish during Lent.
Fasting in the Orthodox Church

General Guidelines for Fasting 2011

The guiding rule of the Fathers - never eat to the point of feeling full but rise from the table knowing that more could be taken and one is ready for prayer.

Fasting is never required when there are health issues that require the eating of certain foods.

Parents decide what age to begin a child fasting from foods. More importantly is teaching the fasting from behaviors not pleasing to God.

Foods allowed during Lent - this is considered Strict Fast
A vegetarian diet including but not limited to bread, grains, vegetables, soup, tofu, fruits, nuts, beans, shellfish, octopus, squid, juice, coffee, tea or water.

Foods not allowed during Great Lent:
All meat, poultry, fish, olive oil (vegetable oil is allowed), dairy products, cheese, milk, butter, eggs, and alcoholic beverages. Fish & olive oil are allowed on March 25 (Feast of the Annunciation) and Palm Sunday, April 17, 2011.

Days on which the number of meals is limited:
It is customary to limit the number of strict fast meals on Clean Monday (the first day of Lent, March 7, 2011), and on any day that you are preparing to receive Communion at a Presanctified liturgy.

Preparing for Presanctified Liturgies in the late afternoon:
There are three ways to prepare depending upon your personal abilities.
• If you are able - keep complete fast the entire day and have a meal after the Liturgy
• Or have a fast worthy breakfast, no lunch followed by a meal after the Liturgy
• Or have a fast worthy breakfast followed by a light lunch and a meal after the Liturgy.

Fasting Recommendation for Assumption Parishioners
Level I is recommended for those who never or rarely keep the fast throughout the year on Wednesdays and Fridays.
• Start by not eating any meat the first week of Lent and during Holy Week.
• Do not eat meat every Wednesday and Friday during Lent.
• Attempt to continue the Wednesday, Friday fast throughout the rest of the year and graduate next year to Level II.

Level II is recommended for those who keep the fast on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year but rarely follow a strict fast including dairy products and fish.
• 40 days no meat, plus all of Holy Week
• Dairy products & fish are allowed but not on Wednesdays and Fridays.

Level III is the ideal for those who fast throughout the year.
• 40 days of Lent and Holy Week are kept as a strict fast.

You may create your own guidelines that may be a combination of the above recommendations, please consult your priest if you have questions.

http://www.assumptionaz.org/studies_in_orthod...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

who="Dan"
Here.
I was baptized, which remitted my original sin and joined me to the Kingdom of God.
Good one, huh?
Not really, Dan. People are baptized BECAUSE and AFTER they have believed on JESUS...not a church program.
You obviously trust the CC; I would that your love were as obvious for Jesus and His people.
I can treat you...or any other person, of ANY creed, as 'worthy'...because of the love of God. You believe that Jesus is Lord because you've been told that, not because you have been moved to KNOW that He is YOUR Lord.
You are trusting in your CC baptism...not in HIM...
Blessings...
KayMarie
And all Christians said Amen!!!!

Catholics said BS...the pope told us the truth....we are saved by water!!! If Christ had known this...He could have stayed Home!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

who="Oxbow"]919
What does this mean to you: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....
The following is the only "full of grace" I find in the NT and it is said regarding Christ... what Scripture are you reading that it is used regarding Mary???
Joh 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
BTW...John 1:14 clearly says Christ is not God...but is the only begotten Son of God..
You know, you are right. I always just accepted that because we hear it repeated so much.
Truth is, the most it says about 'grace' is when it tells how much of it is bestowed on US...
KayMarie
Amen!!!

We are getting our train back on track!!!! All we need to do now is get that right rear wheel of the caboose back on...it keeps bumping up and down and wobbles a lot!!!!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Fasting in the Orthodox Church
General Guidelines for Fasting 2011
The guiding rule of the Fathers - never eat to the point of feeling full but rise from the table knowing that more could be taken and one is ready for prayer.
Fasting is never required when there are health issues that require the eating of certain foods.
Parents decide what age to begin a child fasting from foods. More importantly is teaching the fasting from behaviors not pleasing to God.
Foods allowed during Lent - this is considered Strict Fast
A vegetarian diet including but not limited to bread, grains, vegetables, soup, tofu, fruits, nuts, beans, shellfish, octopus, squid, juice, coffee, tea or water.
Foods not allowed during Great Lent:
All meat, poultry, fish, olive oil (vegetable oil is allowed), dairy products, cheese, milk, butter, eggs, and alcoholic beverages. Fish & olive oil are allowed on March 25 (Feast of the Annunciation) and Palm Sunday, April 17, 2011.
Days on which the number of meals is limited:
It is customary to limit the number of strict fast meals on Clean Monday (the first day of Lent, March 7, 2011), and on any day that you are preparing to receive Communion at a Presanctified liturgy.
Preparing for Presanctified Liturgies in the late afternoon:
There are three ways to prepare depending upon your personal abilities.
• If you are able - keep complete fast the entire day and have a meal after the Liturgy
• Or have a fast worthy breakfast, no lunch followed by a meal after the Liturgy
• Or have a fast worthy breakfast followed by a light lunch and a meal after the Liturgy.
Fasting Recommendation for Assumption Parishioners
Level I is recommended for those who never or rarely keep the fast throughout the year on Wednesdays and Fridays.
• Start by not eating any meat the first week of Lent and during Holy Week.
• Do not eat meat every Wednesday and Friday during Lent.
• Attempt to continue the Wednesday, Friday fast throughout the rest of the year and graduate next year to Level II.
Level II is recommended for those who keep the fast on Wednesdays and Fridays throughout the year but rarely follow a strict fast including dairy products and fish.
• 40 days no meat, plus all of Holy Week
• Dairy products & fish are allowed but not on Wednesdays and Fridays.
Level III is the ideal for those who fast throughout the year.
• 40 days of Lent and Holy Week are kept as a strict fast.
You may create your own guidelines that may be a combination of the above recommendations, please consult your priest if you have questions.
http://www.assumptionaz.org/studies_in_orthod...
http://www.abbamoses.com/fasti ng.html

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It means what it says. Men are sinners.
Christ was an exception. I assume that you don't argue with me on that. Scripture teaches that Mary was an exception. Again, Luke 1:28.
Thanks
Where do you see the word "men" in: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....

Since: Nov 08

usa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

Clay wrote:

<quoted text>
Bologna with whip cream on top??? That's gross man.
The Priest is supposed to proclaim the truth no matter what.
The Catholic Church proclaims the truth in spite of popular opinion and cultural influence.
When you guys marry gay people and promote condoms and other contraceptives, you're are doing so because that's what the folks in your congregation want.
The Catholic Church doesn't take a vote on what they should teach. So even if the Priest has feelings otherwise, he will not (or should not) go against his Bishop. And since Christ is the founder of the Catholic Church, we are assured that they will not error on any teachings.
So far, everything checks out too. You've failed to provide any evidence of the Church in error. In fact, you need to use deception - like when you falsely accused them of changing the 10 commandments - to promote your religion. JETHRO: this is a load of bologna, Christ did not build your church he has nothing to do with it, he is not a pagan or Christian so why would he build a church based on those two religions? in a country that came close to wiping out his people, stealing everything they own, including a church, and every date involving Jesus just happens to match every pagan holiday date? what are odds, they worship the sun on Dec. 25,just so happens Jesus is born on the same day? please who's kidding who? as far as the commandments go they changed them to make idolatry ok so they can make money selling idols/statues, and as I posted not to long ago they broke every REAL commandment at one time or another.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
~~~
THE STUPID ONE ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURE IS
Psa_14:1 A Psalm of David.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psa_53:1 A Psalm of David.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good.
If the Jewish god Jehovah falls for grand-stand performances, he's a hopeless romantic with no more sense than a screw driver.

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Lorenzo 8,194
Filipino Catholics hails new saints 8 hr INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 31
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... 12 hr psycho 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... 17 hr ELIAS IBARRA 60
Greek Orthodox church in Gaza shelters Muslims ... Jul 26 Link Forrester 3
More Jul 24 True Christian witness 2
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Jul 24 ELIAS IBARRA 41
•••
•••