Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 589225 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#453058 Jun 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
To my knowledge, only Catholics look up the definitions of Greek words, of all places, in the English dictionary!!!!
ophelimos: helpful or serviceable, i.e. advantageous:--
OK.

In English or Greek, it doesn't say "sufficient".

Thanks for the assist.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453059 Jun 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
If your deity "knew" his experiment was destined to fail, and continued with it, knowing the result, he surely "missed the mark". That is the definition of "sin".= an attribute if imperfection.
If God knew the result aforehand, then it's not a "failure", is it, BT?

Thanks.

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453060 Jun 17, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't ignored your question. This thread moves so fast I couldn't begin to keep up with it, and I can't possibly answer any & all of the posts I'd like to, not even of the ones specifically addressed to me.
Anyhow, I'll try to answer now, although I'm sure you won't hesitate to split hairs on the meaning of every syllable.
The Jews are now, as they always have been, the Lord's special people, set apart by Himself to be His people.
Exodus 19:5 "Out of all nations you will be My treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you will be for Me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation."
But He gives the right to be His children to any & all people who call on Him as Lord and Savior.
John 1:12 Yet to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God.
That's my perspective.
I don't need to split hairs.

If the one god that exists favored the Jews, then all of the offshoots of Judaism (members of Catholicism, Islam, and Protestantism) were and are the ones splitting hairs. You are all trying in vain to steal the affections of the one god away FROM the Jews ... and that is not nice behavior.

Within the theology, if the god was faithful to his Jews, you should all be practicing Judaism ... period ... end of the one-god story!

And if the one-god is NOT faithful to his Jews, then he won't be faithful to either Catholics, Muslims, or Protestants, as fickle gods simply can't be trusted.

However ... religion is all silly stuff indeed, as fantasy travels wherever and whenever it pleases ... gathering nothing but fluff.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453061 Jun 17, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>And are you aware that if a Christian invokes the name of Christ,it can make a devil impotent? Now that's power.
Many people that needed mental help were exorcised again and again of supposed demons by superstitious members of religion.

To have mental problems to begin with and then to be told that the self is full of demons is cruel and inhumane.

People should be taught that mental illness is nothing of which to be ashamed ... that it is a normal disease that can be treated with medication.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453062 Jun 17, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>your incorrect
NO, I am not incorrect.

If you have faith that Jesus saves, and you believe in Jesus, then you will have complete faith that you are saved.

To say that you will have to wait until judgment day to find out if your investment in faith paid off, is to show doubt that just maybe it won't pay off.

You can't have it both ways.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453063 Jun 17, 2013
Jumper The Wise wrote:
The lost chapter to Alice in Wonderland.
The Hatter was very mad indeed Alice thought as she ran through the woods.
She was sooo,sooo,hungery as the tea party broke up so suddenly.
She smelled somthing so good,she stopped and saw a hollow tree! And inside it was a window.And inside the window was a nice elderly lady baking pies!
"Hello my dear! Do you want a slice of pie?" she asked.
"Why yes mam,my name is Alice." she replied
"Hello my dear I am the pie lady June The Loon!"
As she came closer Alice saw the vacant far away look in the crazy woman's eyes.
"No thank you mam,I must be going." Alice sputterd.
"No,no have some pie before you die! You have nowhere to go! Up or down there's no Heaven or hell to be found!"
And the old woman quickly gobbled down a whole pie in front of Alice!
Are you sure you are not a reincarnation of the same men that wrote scriptures???

:)

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453064 Jun 17, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Luther NEVER INTENDED "creating another church of his own."
Then he shouldn't have.

Luther wanted to get married, and the pope wouldn't allow it, so ex-Catholic Luther and his gang of thugs showed the pope that they could also tell the god of the Jews what to believe.

Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#453065 Jun 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Good comments! As a former Protestant (converting to the TRUE GOSPEL of Jesus Christ--in and through His One True Catholic Church), what I have discovered (for over 35 years as a bible only believer) that the entire emphasis of being a bible only Protestant is a total reliance on "attacking the TRUTH of over 1500 years of Catholic Apostolic Church History, particularly condemning and passing their personal opinionated judgement against Jesus Christ and His One True Universal Catholic Church. Protestantism cannot survive on its own without attacking the FULLNESS of the FAITH and the FULLNESS of the TRUTH of the Catholic Church, its TRUTH of doctrine, principles,and teachings that are grounded in Jesus Christ HIMSELF!!
I would love to hear your conversion story.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453066 Jun 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm nit even sure what you call fundamentalist..But to me I am one.
I believe in the Bible as,God's holy Spirit filled word.
I BELUEVE in Jesus Christ as my only Saviour.
I am pro life
And BELUEVE we should vote fir people who share our beliefs,if we can find any
I BELUEVE there is coming a time when we all should stand together as Christians. because it will please God and we may need to.
I am not a big joined if movement but I think Fundamentalists and Evangelicals,go to all churches
So, have you managed to convince yourself that the god of the Jews is aligned to your way of believing ... or are you still working on that project?

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#453067 Jun 17, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
We said the apostles creed all the time in the luthren church that was 30+ years ago, i haven't said it since but agree with it and read it on this board probably ten times.
The first t I me I heard it in my church. I thought. Hmm isn't that a,Catholic prayer. We have do few prayers by rote. The Our Father being the exception.
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#453068 Jun 17, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>try reading the Bible.
in the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word(Bible) was God.
So you fundies actually DO worship the Bible which you think is GOD.
It is as many Catholics have suspected. Thanks for your honesty. Most fundies would never admit to worshiping the Book.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON to Save us

#453069 Jun 17, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
You wrote..
The rest of the races here on earth were created before God "FORMED" Adam.
You must be posting about the DAYTONA 500 RACES...
There is as much said about it ...as there is about God creating a human race before Adam and Eve
So you must be Roman Catholic ...
You come up with assumptions that have no foundation in the Bible...
That's really an odd ONE..what happened after the floods if that theory is true..makes no sense.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453070 Jun 17, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL God loves His Son, Jesus, but He loves us MORE. Think about THAT, June :)
If he sent his son to earth to be murdered to save a lot of selfish heaven hogs, then he might just as easily and temperamentally send the selfish heaven hogs straight to hell for being so greedy.

That is ... if he existed, he might pull that stunt.

Who knows what a cruel and fickle god will be up to if he gets into one of his evil moods?

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453071 Jun 17, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. The Lord allows us the honor of working for Him,.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453072 Jun 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
His brain is affected by what he eats!!!!
Overdoses of scriptures???

Dan

Omaha, NE

#453073 Jun 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Then he shouldn't have.
Luther wanted to get married, and the pope wouldn't allow it, so ex-Catholic Luther and his gang of thugs showed the pope that they could also tell the god of the Jews what to believe.
Um, no, Luther wasn't hung up on getting married, thus his "reforms".

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453074 Jun 17, 2013
OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan is wiser than you "without" the Spirit of God. You do not have the Spirit of God if you believe the lie of the Serpent Seed Doctrine. You believe the Serpent.
The Woman’s Dictionary of Symbols and Sacred objects … by Barbara G. Walker.

Serpent

The Middle East used to regard the female serpent as the embodiment of enlightenment, or wisdom, because she understood the mysteries of life.
truth

Perth, Australia

#453075 Jun 17, 2013
Please tell me why don't you liked my 25..i dream ones more go my home.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#453076 Jun 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry that God and His Son Jesus are not acceptable to you,
You better join Judaism ... or you will not be favored by the one god. I'm warning you for your own good.

That god created good and evil, and he knows how to use both weapons for his own cause.

He allowed souls to wander knowing they would suffer if they did wander ... that was the good-"hearted" part of the god. Imagine what his evil side is capable of doing when he gets in an evil mood.

Join Judaism ... for your own good.

tongue in cheek
Just Sayin

Antioch, TN

#453077 Jun 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
lol. You sound like a man who privately realizes his teachings on scripture are false, but is to old and stubborn to ever admit it for fear of being wrong.
Hey Old Jay Gee, its over man. This has been the most lopsided debate I've ever seen. You guys have been proven to be ridiculous ignorants. You should have never tried to get into this. Seriously, this ain't funny. You guys can't possibly really believe what you're saying anymore .. There's no way.
Amazing, isn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 36 min Crazy 9,373
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) 6 hr pazuzu 57
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) 12 hr ELIAS IBARRA 9
News Francis expects short papacy 14 hr ELIAS IBARRA 12
News Pope finds popularity and dissent at 2-year mark 15 hr ELIAS IBARRA 10
News After a visit from the pope, Mr. Castro has muc... Thu L I G E R 2
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Wed barry 84,264
More from around the web