Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 667948 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#453247 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
....of people's statements, sure.
I'm not qualified to judge Islam. As I said, I don't know enough about it.
Spin, twist, spin.

Then you have judged. You have even judged their core beliefs.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#453248 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
OK.
In English or Greek, it doesn't say "sufficient".
Thanks for the assist.
Yes it does!!!

Message: Only Scripture is needed for the man of God to be perfect, thoroughly finished unto good works...

If he needs more, he is not the man of God, nor is he perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. Which includes all Catholics...because they need more than the Bible!!!!!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#453249 Jun 17, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Women administering the Eucharist is one in my opinion.
But what is a "major" doctrine anyhow. You don't know. There's no accessible list of major or minor doctrines.
Protestants can now go to Heaven maybe. Is that a major or minor change in doctrine?
Who knows?
Who cares, because it's all imaginary anyhow.
If it were not, you would want to know about the levels of doctrine.
(faints)A WOMEN ADMINISTERING THE EUCHARIST??? Say it isnt so!!!!
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#453250 Jun 17, 2013
Hello, Rose!
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#453252 Jun 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Women administering the Eucharist is one in my opinion.
But what is a "major" doctrine anyhow. You don't know. There's no accessible list of major or minor doctrines.
Protestants can now go to Heaven maybe. Is that a major or minor change in doctrine?
Who knows?
Who cares, because it's all imaginary anyhow.
If it were not, you would want to know about the levels of doctrine.
Women handing out the Eucharist is a practice, not doctrine.

Thanks.

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#453253 Jun 17, 2013
I find it curious that some here can reduce a 2 PAGES of examples and history to one example/one sentence, thereby feeling that have successfully challenged the argument and therefore can ridicule it
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453254 Jun 17, 2013
Seraphima wrote:
<quoted text>turn on the tv....read the newspapers...
Those are people who self-identify as adherents of Islam.

Bad actors abound everywhere.

Again, I have to personally withhold making judgments until I learn more about Islam.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#453256 Jun 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Message: Only Scripture is needed for the man of God to be perfect, thoroughly finished unto good works...
If he needs more, he is not the man of God, nor is he perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works. Which includes all Catholics...because they need more than the Bible!!!!!
The "Sola Scriptura" believer should see "only" expressed, vs. implying it or adding to scripture. That's bad, right? Adding to scripture?

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#453257 Jun 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose I could walk into any non-denominational gathering, say I'm a "bible believer" and I'd be accepted as a Christian. Pretty scary stuff.
sorry anthony. but a person has to possess what they profess. it wouldnt take long before someone knew that you werent a Christian. If you are a Christian(and you arent), One spirit will bear witness with another. God cant be fooled, He knows who is His. therefore He would not accept your spirit that you would bring into our churches.

I realize that you dont have a clue as to what we are discusssing nor would I expect you to, you arent Born Again.

Location hidden

#453258 Jun 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Fie! You protestants take the same Bible and one decides that baptism is necessary for salvation while the other one says "Nay,'tisn't!"
Is the Bible supposed to stand up, open it's mouth and declare which one is correct?
Sons of God are led to all truth by the Holy Spirit. If two claim to be so led and disagree on Scripture...one is lying...he ain't...or both are lying...you can't be 100% sure which is which, but by what they are saying as compared to Scripture, you can be 99.9% sure which is which...if you are led by the Holy Spirit...

A dime to a doughnut says you will deny being a son of God...if you say you are, I will make the same bet that you cannot prove your answer from Scripture.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453259 Jun 17, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it does!!!
You pasted the definition that said "advantageous" or similar.

That's not the same as "sufficient" in English OR Greek.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#453260 Jun 17, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
I find it curious that some here can reduce a 2 post of examples and history to one example/one sentence, thereby feeling that have successfully challenged the argument and therefore can ridicule it.
Oh thats easy, i do it all the time..........
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453261 Jun 17, 2013
ReginaM wrote:
<quoted text>
An honest attempt, yes. One cannot belong to XYZ church that says this is how our theology differs from that of the CC and then consider themselves informed. Like you, I would like to see specifics rather than the childish hit-and-run jabs we're being treated to. But, of course, that would take some actual thought.
Btw, I loved your post the other day about the priest you spoke to. He sounds like a real doll and I'm glad he told you some things that were difficult to hear. That means he's telling you the truth. Catholicism isn't always easy...the narrow path and all that. That's why we need prayers and support, lots of it!
You bet it's not easy. What some of what the priest told me made me weep because I didn't want it to be true, but it was. I couldn't deny it. He has given me some tall marching orders. There is no way for me to do it without the Sacraments.
As for the ex, all the priest said about him was (in no uncertain terms) that he was going to hell for the way he treated me.
During the prayer, he included the request that I might forgive the ex. That is only part of those marching orders.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#453262 Jun 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Luther added that word "alone" to his German Bible translation. This is common knowledge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luther_Bible
Luther added the word "alone" (allein in German) to Romans 3:28 controversially so that it read: "So now we hold, that man is justified without the help of the works of the law, alone through faith"[8] The word "alone" does not appear in the Greek texts,[9] but Luther defended his translation by maintaining that the adverb "alone" was required both by idiomatic German and the apostle Paul's intended meaning.[10]
In those Bible verses you posted (which I had to snip for room), the "works" they are talking about are the "works" of the Old Testament, the sacrificing of animals and the like. God had allowed hundreds of years of these practices in order to show that none of those sacrifices could remit their sins. Now in the NT, those verses were saying that we don't have to go by the ancient levitical works/practices since Jesus, the True Lamb, has fulfilled the Old Covenant. It doesn't mean that we can now sit on our butts, say the magic Jesus words, and wait for the bus to heaven.
And I like how you defend poor Luther like he a big misunderstood teddy bear. He was psychotic and delusional and obsessed with feces, his anus, and with satan. He is the cause of millions of souls being in jeapordy of eternal hell.
Let me ask you something. Does your church say masturbation is a sin?
Now that is the first I ever heard about Luther be obsessed with his poo poo, butt,and what ever else you catholics made up to justify the reformation....lol Rewriting history is fun isnt it...Luther was discusted with the catholic church and its evil ways..now thats the truth...
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453263 Jun 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Spin, twist, spin.
Then you have judged. You have even judged their core beliefs.
Yeah, if they supplied me with their core beliefs in context of a discussion, I judged those beliefs.

I said I judged their statements.
Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#453264 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
We know that women covering their head wasn't "infallible teaching".
Of course, we know what "infallible" actually means in this context. You appear not to.
Silly man...

How do you know that women covering their heads in church was never proclaimed an infallible teaching?

Show us a list, provide a link.

When you are explaining what "infallible teaching" means "within context," please show an examples of maybe 5 of these wonderful teachings.

They must be of great value to mankind.

From everything I read, the definition (and context) of "infallible teaching" keeps changing.

No matter -- I'll wait for the list of these amazing teachings and then we can discuss. Until then, I don't believe you or anyone else here knows which teachings are infallible and which are just very important.

I know it sounds silly. So prove me wrong please.

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#453265 Jun 17, 2013
Selene100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither Moses nor Abraham ever heard of the word "Christian" as well.
Are you saying that Mary is NOT Jesus' mother? Are you saying that Christ broke the commandment that says "honor thy mother and thy father?"

I question as to why Mary left her son alone in a large city for hours. shame on her. dont you agree?

reckon that is why He didnt care when she wasnt invited to one of His meeting, and He was more interested in those who were inside. those people He claimed, why would He do that?
ReginaM

Bloomfield, NJ

#453266 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Those are people who self-identify as adherents of Islam.
Bad actors abound everywhere.
Again, I have to personally withhold making judgments until I learn more about Islam.
Yes, there are a lot of self-identifying bad actors around.

Location hidden

#453267 Jun 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul was talking to Timothy, his successor, as one of the main leaders of the Church. AS Timothy was a part of the Church, it went without saying that Timothy would also benefit from Her teachings in his journey toward "perfection", along with Scripture.
There was no such thing as "Bible alone". That's been proven.
It was never "just me-n-Jesus" until very recently when fundies threw everything else about Christianity away.
You can babble until you are blue in the face..it will not change the truth from Scripture:

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#453268 Jun 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:

<quoted text>
The division of dogma follow the lines of the division s of faith. Dogmas can be (1) general or special; (2) material or formal; (3) pure or mixed; (4) symbolic or non-symbolic; (5) and they can differ according to their various degrees of necessity.
(1) General dogmas are a part of the revelation meant for mankind and transmitted from the Apostles; while special dogmas are the truths revealed in private revelations. Special dogmas, therefore, are not, strictly speaking, dogmas at all; they are not revealed truths transmitted from the Apostles; nor are they defined or proposed by the Church for the acceptance of the faithful generally.
(2) Dogmas are called material (or Divine, or dogmas in themselves, in se) when abstraction is made from their definition by the Church, when they are considered only as revealed; and they are called formal (or Catholic, or "in relation to us", quoad nos) when they are considered both as revealed and defined. Again, it is evident that material dogmas are not dogmas in the strict sense of the term.
(3) Pure dogmas are those which can be known only from revelation, as the Trinity, Incarnation, etc.; while mixed dogmas are truths which can be known from revelation or from philosophical reasoning as the existence and attributes of God. Both classes are dogmas in the strict sense, when considered as revealed and defined.
(4) Dogmas contained in the symbols or creeds of the Church are called symbolic; the remainder are non-symbolic. Hence all the articles of the Apostles' Creed are dogmas — but not all dogmas are called technically articles of faith, though an ordinary dogma is sometimes spoken of as an article of faith.
(5) Finally, there are dogmas belief in which is absolutely necessary as a means to salvation, while faith in others is rendered necessary only by Divine precept; and some dogmas must be explicitly known and believed, while with regard to others implicit belief is sufficient.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05089a.htm
It's little more to chew on than most proty religions have.

No disreapect but is all this elaborate legal labyrinth necessary to just say what you believe and stick with it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 7 hr Rainbow Kid 331
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 20 hr Married in 10,389
News Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Jan 14 Serah 14,364
News 7 reasons why Friday the 13th is considered an ... Jan 14 True Christian wi... 3
News Women should breastfeed in church, Pope Francis... Jan 11 Jeremy 3
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory (Jul '15) Dec 30 Dogen 508
News Preview: The Pope's Choir Dec '16 KenJr26 1
More from around the web