Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 681754 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#453148 Jun 17, 2013
Correction:

Not Catholic Church doublespeak, religious doublespeak.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453149 Jun 17, 2013
Selene100 wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither Moses nor Abraham ever heard of the word "Christian" as well.
Are you saying that Mary is NOT Jesus' mother? Are you saying that Christ broke the commandment that says "honor thy mother and thy father?"
He has no idea what he's saying.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453150 Jun 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Those in religion idolize only their own myths.
That is what made it so easy for theologians who hated each other to divide and conquer the minds of gullible believers.
You seem very disposed to "idolizing your own myth" about the Reformation being predicated upon Martin Luther's desire to be married.

No evidence for that. but I know that isn't typically a concern of yours. It DOES make one wary of you throwing around accusations of other people relying on their own myths, however.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#453151 Jun 17, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this like the child abuse scandal. It just grew and grew and the CC was late addressing it from a moral perspective.
"With the permission of the Church, indulgences also became a way for Catholic rulers to fund expensive projects... "
"Indulgences grew to extraordinary magnitude, in terms of longevity and breadth of forgiveness."
Like most Popes have explained:
"We didn't know."
"Yes, it's against Catholic teaching,"
"OK, and we did make a lot of money with it over many centuries."
"It was so hard to say no. In fact, we built the Vatican with some of the dough. We were not guided by morals, but by self-interest. So sorry."
Sound familiar?
That shows us that sometimes even the Catholic Church realizes that god is imaginary.
"VanDerMarkian" logic, RAD.

"Bad acts were committed in the name of God, so, God is imaginary".

Doesn't it really mean that people commit bad acts?
Anthony MN

Eden Prairie, MN

#453152 Jun 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a baptist, they never recited a creed at their services. They in fact officially shy away from "creedalism".
Their website says:
"In some groups, statements of belief have the same authority as Scripture. We call this creedalism. Baptists also make statements of belief, but all of them are revisable in light of Scripture. "
In other words, their statements of belief can be revised according to a different interpretation of Scripture.
I suppose I could walk into any non-denominational gathering, say I'm a "bible believer" and I'd be accepted as a Christian. Pretty scary stuff.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#453153 Jun 17, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
Uta Ranke Heinemann is one persons "opinion" just like thousands of others! My brother-in-law has been a priest for 18 years as a rector in the seminary for new vocations to the priesthood. The seminary has grown from 36 when he was appointed to over 200 today. These young men are all dedicated to the teachings of the Catholic Church, the bible, the Magisterium and the Vatican with Pope Francis...... Emancipated nuns and priests are in the minority and are a "dying breed" of older liberals that are still desperately hanging on to their "outdated" rebellious (do it my way) myths.....They chose to remain "on the outside" (just like you June) continously looking in at the TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One True Apostolic Catholic Church.
Your church is NOT THE ONE TRUE APOSTOLIC CHURCH THAT CHRIST FOUNDED.Brag all you want but HISTORY of YOUR church starting in 1054 tells the story.YOU think that CHRIST would approve of such a church and its NASTY PAST.It is from YOUR church that the protestants came from which you now debate.IF your church was the church of Christ and kept its nose cleaned they may never have been a Reformation.
Anthony MN

Eden Prairie, MN

#453154 Jun 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Is this like the child abuse scandal. It just grew and grew and the CC was late addressing it from a moral perspective.
"With the permission of the Church, indulgences also became a way for Catholic rulers to fund expensive projects... "
"Indulgences grew to extraordinary magnitude, in terms of longevity and breadth of forgiveness."
Like most Popes have explained:
"We didn't know."
"Yes, it's against Catholic teaching,"
"OK, and we did make a lot of money with it over many centuries."
"It was so hard to say no. In fact, we built the Vatican with some of the dough. We were not guided by morals, but by self-interest. So sorry."
Sound familiar?
That shows us that sometimes even the Catholic Church realizes that god is imaginary.
How were they supposed to build the Vatican without cash?
Michael

Canada

#453155 Jun 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I think you give religion too much credit. A theory is a rational type of abstract or generalizing thinking, usually put forth for the purpose of further measuring and testing.
Religion is based on myth, with no rational, real world evidence required. Few believers seek to test or measure a religious myth.
If evidence appears to refute a theory, then that theory is reworked or dismissed as refuted.
No amount of real-world, real-life evidence will cause true believers to dismiss their chosen myth.
Evidence doesn't matter. MOST people of religion are so because by "CHANCE" they were born into their faith to become what their parents were and to become what their parents want them to become..........just like them!

I am sure if all the catholics on this forum were by CHANCE born into loving Muslim families ALLAH would be who they worship, Jesus would be just a good-deed-doer from the past.

Organized religion is the great divider of our world. If there is a God out there I doubt his intentions would be lets create hatred towards others..........with the attitude "I am right and you are wrong"

Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453156 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Ox's pasted post:
"Scripture alone (from the Reformation slogan Sola Scriptura) is the teaching that Scripture is the Church's only infallible and sufficient rule for deciding issues of faith and practices that involve doctrines. While the Bible does not contain all knowledge, it does contain that which is necessary for salvation. Indeed, if something is not found in Scripture, it is not binding upon the believer. This view does not deny that the Church has the authority to teach God's Word. Furthermore, while tradition is valuable, it but must be tested by the higher authority of the Scriptures. "
This paragraph is replete with contradiction.
It admits that the Bible does not contain all knowledge, declares despite this that the Bible contains that which is necessary for Salvation, and then concludes that any teaching not expressed in scripture is subordinate to Scripture.
The conclusion presented isn't IN scripture-it's a statement to ratify the belief, but it isn't scriptural that there's a stratification, by medium, of the authoritative teaching of God's Word.
Yes, and since "the Church" here refers to no specific Church whatsoever, "the Church" should really be replaced with "the individual".
Michael

Canada

#453157 Jun 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
How were they supposed to build the Vatican without cash?
The vatican has lots of ready $$CASH$$ Anthony, pays no property taxes and every week asks for more MONEY!!!!

Imagine your life like that? Having billions in investments and still have the nerve every week, "we need more money"!!

I am sure there are many catholics who will their estates to their church hoping to better their chances in heaven. Money gets swallowed up by the billions..........but we still need more they scream!

UNBELIEVABLE!
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453158 Jun 17, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Scripture alone (from the Reformation slogan Sola Scriptura) is the teaching that Scripture is the Church's only infallible and sufficient rule for deciding issues of faith and practices that involve doctrines. While the Bible does not contain all knowledge, it does contain that which is necessary for salvation. Indeed, if something is not found in Scripture, it is not binding upon the believer. This view does not deny that the Church has the authority to teach God's Word. Furthermore, while tradition is valuable, it but must be tested by the higher authority of the Scriptures.
<quoted text>
Let's ask this question as well. Did the Bible stand up, open it's mouth and declare which of your popes was correct in their interpretation? Please do not lie and tell us your theology has never changed. We can and have presented the fallacy of that argument over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Comprende'
The Church wrote the Bible. It did not fall from the sky.
And, unlike your religion, we don't leave interpretation up to the individual. It is up to the teaching arm of the Church, the Magesterium, which is made up of more than just the pope.
If you claim our theology has "changed", then state specifically how you think it has.

“GOD SO LOVED US”

Since: Aug 08

He Gave His SON,JESUS Christ

#453159 Jun 17, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You can keep lying if it so pleases you ... but if there is a god that serves only Jews ... you are in over your head with lies upon lies.
I suggest you keep THAT in mind.
You can manipulate other people, but you can't manipulate a god ... if that god just HAPPENS to exist.
<quoted text>
Of course, you have NOT told June any lies respective to Luther.
Luther posted his 95 THESES in 1517 in Wittenberg, Germany, and the Pope of the day excommunicated him in 1520. Meanwhile, his teachings had spread like wildfire throughout Germany.
In 1523, a group of 12 nuns, inspired by Luther's teachings, escaped their cloister ("escaped" because they would never have been PERMITTED to leave) with the help of a respected merchant and leading citizen, one Leonard Kopp, and Luther himself.
Once they had escaped, what was to be done with them? Three of them returned to their own homes, while the remaining nine waited for arranged marriages. Naturally, since Luther was single, his friends repeatedly suggested that he marry one of the ex-nuns himself. He rejected the idea, "not because he was a sexless stone, nor because he was hostile to marriage, but because he expected daily the death of a heretic."--"HERE I STAND: A LIFE OF MARTIN LUTHER, Roland H. Bainton
By 1525, all the nuns had been married except one, a 26 year old woman named Katherina von Bora. In the 16th century, 26 was considered a bit long in the tooth for a first marriage :) so her position was delicate. Although two or three matches had been attempted for Katherina, all had fallen through for one reason or another. The latest suggestion was one Dr. Glatz, whom she couldn't stand :) Finally, she asked the help of a visitor to Wittenberg, a Dr. Magdeberg, who conveyed a message to Luther. She would accept either Magdeberg himself or Luther.
Luther had never had any intention of marrying. His father, however, had other ideas. He was a very successful merchant who had been deeply displeased when his son Luther chose the Church as his career instead of becoming a merchant like his father. When Luther told him about the idea of his marrying Katherina, he meant it as a joke, but his father took it seriously :) He wanted to pass on the family name. And Luther began to see the idea in a different light. He fully expected to be burned at the stake within a year, so starting a family THEN could only be seen as defiance at anything that might happen to him. Also, he would rescue Katherina from her dilemma.
"He summed up by giving three reasons for his marriage: to please his father, to spite the Pope and the Devil, and to seal his witness before martyrdom." --"HERE I STAND: A LIFE OF MARTIN LUTHER, Roland H. Bainton
In short, Luther's reasons for marrying were practical in nature, not for love. But he and Katie (whom he called "my rib"!) fell genuinely and deeply in love after they were married. Katherina was an excellent housekeeper, which as Luther's household was continually expanding through the years (many students, etc. lived with the Luthers), having a well-run domestic life was in itself a considerable contribution to Luther's work.
The Luthers had six children together. And by the way, Katherina was no doormat. She fully supported her husband's work, but she was never afraid to speak her mind to him.
I absolutely LOVE their story! Always have :)
Never knew any of that ..thanks.

Peter was married. Just saying. Nit sure why or when the CC DECIDED clergy and nuns shoukdnt
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453160 Jun 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church wrote the Bible. It did not fall from the sky.
And, unlike your religion, we don't leave interpretation up to the individual. It is up to the teaching arm of the Church, the Magesterium, which is made up of more than just the pope.
If you claim our theology has "changed", then state specifically how you think it has.
Gosh, JS, women used to have to wear hats at Mass, now they don't.

Doctrinal sea change there.

:)
Dan

Omaha, NE

#453161 Jun 17, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Never knew any of that ..thanks.
Peter was married. Just saying. Nit sure why or when the CC DECIDED clergy and nuns shoukdnt
It's a discipline.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453162 Jun 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Sure, accidents happen. Silly me.
Thank you for calling that to my attention. This allows me to correct my beliefs.
No one has died because of my God, except through accidents.
Ramen
Interesting also, in the Gospel of FSM, more than emperical science is to be considered in developing the FSM doctrines.
Have you read the book yet?
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#453163 Jun 17, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure that the Reformation was anchored in the desire for clerical marriage.
Can you cite evidence to support this claim you're making?
Concerning his desire to get married, you will believe whatever pleases you.

One issue that is not discussed, is that Luther condemned the Catholics for selling indulgences ... but Luther also sold the granddaddy of all indulgences. He gave his followers the promise that they would be saved by Jesus the Jew for Christian heaven, if only they would adhere to HIS perception of what the biblical words meant to HIM.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453164 Jun 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Luther wanted to get married ... so he ordered the god of the Jews in the sky to ordain Luther's command.
Religion was always FUN for the theologians that changed the dogmas to suit their own pleasures.
Maybe you are thinking of Henry the VIII? He was the one that unpoped himself to get remarried and started the Anglican religion.
Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#453165 Jun 17, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and since "the Church" here refers to no specific Church whatsoever, "the Church" should really be replaced with "the individual".
Good point. How many times did Jesus say we could all have his powers?

That means whatever you want.

On behalf of all Pastafarians, sorry about the flood accident. I cannot find the FSM Gospel online. Do you still have the link?

I hope I don't have too many more apologies to give.
Anthony MN

Eden Prairie, MN

#453166 Jun 17, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
The vatican has lots of ready $$CASH$$ Anthony, pays no property taxes and every week asks for more MONEY!!!!
Imagine your life like that? Having billions in investments and still have the nerve every week, "we need more money"!!
I am sure there are many catholics who will their estates to their church hoping to better their chances in heaven. Money gets swallowed up by the billions..........but we still need more they scream!
UNBELIEVABLE!
About $8 billion. That's about $6.67 per Catholic.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#453167 Jun 17, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose I could walk into any non-denominational gathering, say I'm a "bible believer" and I'd be accepted as a Christian. Pretty scary stuff.
Yup.
Sure is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Jun 19 Dementia mental c... 36
News Gregory: Bishops - can never say we are sorry e... Jun 18 Listen to the Word 1
News Pat Robertson Is Birth Control (Nov '14) Jun 13 Donald Scampi 2
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Jun 12 Married in 10,558
News Why Melania Trump covers her head one day and n... Jun 8 lavon affair 10
News How the war-of-words between Trump and Pope Fra... Jun 8 USS LIBERTY 9
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Jun 7 princess_noochie 84,749
More from around the web