Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
436,641 - 436,660 of 538,995 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#452678 Jun 16, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, the Church never taught selling indulgences or torture of the Jews. Those things were done by bad guys contrary to Church teachings.
World History Timelines
Din Timelines

may 00 - Before embarking on the First Crusade Count Emich von Leiningen and his army swept through their own German homeland, murdering thousands of Jews, whom they had declared "murderers of Christ." When Emich arrived in the town of Worms, the town's Roman Catholic Bishop tried to protect the Jewish population, but the Crusaders overran his palace and slaughtered some 500 people who had taken shelter there. Another 300 were killed over the next two days. The graves of the massacre victims can still be seen at the Jewish Cemetery at Worms.

mar 16 - The Crusades began the massacre of Jews in York, England.The Jewish population of York fled to Clifford's Tower overlooking the rivers Ouse and Foss during an anti-Jewish riot. A crazed friar set fire to the tower and rather than be captured, the inhabitants committed mass suicide.

mar 17 - Crusades complete massacre of Jews of York England.

mar 18 - Crusaders kill 57 Jews in Bury St Edmonds England.

jul 15 - Pope Innocent III states Jews are doomed to perpetual servitude & subjugation due to crucifixion of Jesus.

1348x –
Accused of being a cause of the plague, the Jews in France were dragged from their houses and burned.Pogroms occurred throughout Europe. When the plague subsided, few Jews were left in Germany ? or the Low Countries.

Prince George, Canada

#452679 Jun 16, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I will take that stand with you also...
Good! If each person would say I will test the idea of the existence of a creator and ask to be struck dead this moment for lack of belief in the supposed creator, they would soon understand that no creator exists TO strike them dead, and that what we have been fed is all superstitious nonsense preached to hold followers in the bondage of fear.

Prince George, Canada

#452680 Jun 16, 2013
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>Put aside your games for another five minutes and answer this question: You're not here to "enlighten" anyone. That's obvious because your posts are hardly ever even polite, and they NEVER contain even a single kind or pleasant word. So then: Why are you such a vindictive bitter harpy?
Are you and your bible enlightening people to treat each other as equals?

Your religion teaches that we must all follow your beliefs or end up on the short end of the stick, in hell.

I have no use for such nonsense. Superstitious religion creates the disturbances on earth that it professes to CURE.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#452681 Jun 16, 2013
Whom is coming back????!!!!!

Second Coming of Jesus

Jesus promised His disciples He would come again. It's in the Bible, John 14:1-3, "Let not your heart be troubled. You are trusting God, now trust in Me. There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, then I will come and get you, so that you can always be with Me where I am. If this weren't so, I would tell you plainly. And you know where I am going and how to get there."

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#452682 Jun 16, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, the Church never taught selling indulgences or torture of the Jews. Those things were done by bad guys contrary to Church teachings.
Bl. John Paul II apologized for those bad guys.
Is that not who you take your instruction from?
It has been shown that their actions and teachings were and are incorrect, yet you follow them anyway.
Your organization is imperfect, so also must their doctrine be also.

To follow such an organizations edicts would require one to be insane...or hypocritical-in the very least, dishonest and careless.
Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#452683 Jun 16, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Anyone with half an ounce of brain....and it does not take any sort of Spirituality to see the trashing of the Bible you people are guilty of..
God's Word says: For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.
Catholics says.."God got it wrong..again...Mary was sinless...
None of which can be verified or proven.

The evidence for both sides is made up. There is no provable foundation upon which to build an agreement.

Therefore, this debate is 100% predictable. There will be no end, until the god goes out of fashion, or until one side is able to annihilate the other.

Prince George, Canada

#452684 Jun 16, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
All scripture is given by inspiration of God,
So that must mean that the Muslims, Jews, Protestants and Catholics all received their messages from the same one and only god, and that the god is nuttier than a fruitcake.

If you are honest with your self ... you will see the games you play with your own mind which in turn allows you to believe you are "special."

Prince George, Canada

#452685 Jun 16, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
Notice Jesus' myopia!!!!!!!!
If you think about Jesus, you realize that his biggest problem is an incredible case of myopia. We can see this myopia quite clearly as we look back at Jesus' time on earth.
The obvious question that any intelligent person is forced to ask is this:
If Jesus is God, then why didn't Jesus use his omniscience and omnipotence to actually do something magnificent and beautiful on earth rather than squandering his "power" as he does in the Bible?
Think about all the problems that Jesus could have solved. At the very least, Jesus could have transcribed passages into the Bible that would have ended sexism, racism and slavery forever.
As the simplest example, think of all of the suffering that slavery has caused. Yet Jesus did nothing of the sort. Instead, Jesus endorsed slavery.
At a larger level, if Jesus were God, he could have performed so many real miracles. He could have, for example, eliminated smallpox and a host of other diseases that science is busy eliminating today. Jesus could have given the people of Israel the knowledge that they would need to start a technological society and raise themselves above the primitive living conditions of the day.
The argument could be made that Jesus did try to solve poverty when he said that you should sell everything you own and give it to the poor.
However, in saying this, Jesus showed a complete misunderstanding of human nature. Do you know of any Christians who have sold all their possessions and given the money to the poor? Since the earliest church fathers, there have been very few.
Instead, Jesus could have taught mankind to effectively share wealth so that the immense problem of global poverty that we see today would have been solved long ago.
Most importantly, Jesus could have made his message so clear, and the proof of his godliness so obvious, that all 7 billion people on the planet would have aligned with him, rather than fragmenting into dozens of bizarre and often warring religions.
By doing this, Jesus could have completely prevented the Crusades and 9/11, among many other things.
Instead, he did none of this.
To any rational person, these problems make it painfully obvious that Jesus was a normal human being. The fact that Jesus was a normal human being renders the entire New Testament of the Bible meaningless, and in the process shows us that the God of the Bible is completely imaginary.
Jesus never once uttered the words in the supposed "good book" ... "Just a minute now dad ... there's something wrong with me preaching about how people are supposed to love each other while you are busy allowing a devil to burn souls in hell."

The theology is ridiculous!
Anthony MN

Andover, MN

#452686 Jun 16, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Today the people know the Lord and would prompty show the bad guys with unsound doctrine the door.
They did. We call them Saints.

Location hidden

#452687 Jun 16, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Second Coming of Jesus
Jesus promised His disciples He would come again. It's in the Bible, John 14:1-3, "Let not your heart be troubled. You are trusting God, now trust in Me. There are many homes up there where my Father lives, and I am going to prepare them for your coming. When everything is ready, then I will come and get you, so that you can always be with Me where I am. If this weren't so, I would tell you plainly. And you know where I am going and how to get there."
Jim Jones told his followers the same thing...neither have showed up yet.

Prince George, Canada

#452688 Jun 16, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
Second Coming of Jesus
Again ... your lust for salvation blocks your ability to comprehend that many other theologians throughout history taught of other saviors coming to rescue human "souls," and that their blatherings never amounted to anything but hot air.

People have been awaiting the coming of Jesus since at least the second century.

Silly people and their silly notions that they are special will and have fallen for words of many fast talking theologians.
Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#452689 Jun 16, 2013
When it comes to denial, the catholics have it down pat.

Their "official" teachings are so convoluted, that no one knows exactly what they are.

Catholics claim....

"... indulgences were contrary to Church teachings."

Yet, it was money from the sale of indulgences that paid for the construction of the Vatican.

Any questions?

Prince George, Canada

#452690 Jun 16, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that not who you take your instruction from?
It has been shown that their actions and teachings were and are incorrect, yet you follow them anyway.
Your organization is imperfect, so also must their doctrine be also.
To follow such an organizations edicts would require one to be insane...or hypocritical-in the very least, dishonest and careless.
It's their lust for salvation that is their driving force.

If the word salvation was removed from their theology, they would have nothing left of which to dream. And THAT is the truth.

Prince George, Canada

#452691 Jun 16, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
When it comes to denial, the catholics have it down pat.
Their "official" teachings are so convoluted, that no one knows exactly what they are.
Catholics claim....
"... indulgences were contrary to Church teachings."
Yet, it was money from the sale of indulgences that paid for the construction of the Vatican.
Any questions?
Religious theology is based on one human-created contradiction after another.

That is WHY people continue to argue over the meanings of scriptures.
Religion A Delusion

Orlando, FL

#452692 Jun 16, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Jim Jones told his followers the same thing...neither have showed up yet.
It's been 2000 years for JC. Let's give Jim a little more time.

Maybe JC would return if more so-called believers walked their talk by giving everything away, or through self-castration.

With modern medicine, there's no reason anyone today shouldn't be able, as JC taught.

It looks to me like deep inside, the "believers" don't believe all that much.

Prince George, Canada

#452693 Jun 16, 2013
Forest G. Wood is the author of “The Arrogance of Faith.”

The Catholic slaveholder could always argue that he was only doing what his church allowed. An organization that claims ultimate power must also accept ultimate responsibility.

Location hidden

#452694 Jun 16, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
They did. We call them Saints.
Many of which were once deemed "heretics".
Talk about a confused religion!

Prince George, Canada

#452695 Jun 16, 2013
To claim that a creator ordained slavery was common practice by the faithful. They were certain they knew truth.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book,“Narrative of the life of Frederic Douglass,” an American Slave…..written by himself … comes the following poem from Lynn, Mass, April, 1845.

A Parody

“Come saint and sinner, hear me tell
How pious priests whip Jack and Nell,
And women buy and children sell,
And preach all sinners down to hell
And sing of heavenly union.

“They’ll bleat and baa, dona like goats,
Gorge down black sheep, and strain at motes,
Array their backs in fine black coats,
Then seize their Negroes by their throats,
And choke in heavenly union.

“They’ll church you if you sip a dram,
And damn you if you steal a lamb;
Yet rob old Tony, Doll, and Sam,
Of human rights, and bread and ham;
Kidnapper’s heavenly union.

“They’ll loudly talk of Christ’s reward,
And bind his image with a cord,
And scold, and swing the lash abhorred
And sell their brother in the Lord,
To handcuffed heavenly union.

“They’ll read and sing a sacred song,
And make a prayer both loud and long,
And teach the right and do the wrong,
Hailing the brother, sister throng,
With words of heavenly union.

“We wonder how such saints can sing,
Or praise the Lord upon the wing,
Who roar, and scold, and whip and sting,
And to their slaves and mammon cling,
In guilty conscience union.

“They’ll raise tobacco, corn, and rye,
And drive and thieve, and cheat, and lie,
And lay up treasures in the sky,
By making switch and cowskin fly,
In hope of heavenly union.

“They’ll crack old Tony on the skull,
And preach and roar like Bashan bull,
Or braying ass, or mischief full,
Then seize old Jacob by the wool,
And pull for heavenly union.

“A roaring, ranting, sleek man-thief,
Who lived on mutton, veal, and beef,
Yet never would afford relief,
To needy, sable sons of grief,
Was big with heavenly union.

“’Love not the world,’ the preacher said,
And winked his eye, and shook his head;
He seized on Tom, and Dick, and Ned,
Cut short their meat, and clothes, and bread,
Yet still loved heavenly union.

“Another preacher whining spoke
Of one whose heart for sinners broke:
He tied old Nellie to an oak,
And drew the blood at every stroke,
And prayed for heavenly union.

“Two others oped their iron jaws,
And waved their children-stealing paws;
There sat their children in gewgaws;
By stinting Negroes’ backs and maws,
They keep up heavenly union.

“All good from Jack another takes,
And entertains their flirts and rakes,
Who dress as sleek as glossy snakes,
And cram their mouths with sweetened cakes;
And this goes down for union.”
rosesz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#452696 Jun 16, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Bl. John Paul II apologized for those bad guys.
Yes he did and God bless him for it.

In the middle ages much wrong was done. Imo. GOD allowed theme Reformation to spread His Word because of that..and to hasten the settlement of the New World by Christians.

We will know for sure when we can ask Him.

My point is I sm glad that finally a pope told of blemishes do people know that anything run by man may err.
That way no one is shocked when they learn history..

Prince George, Canada

#452697 Jun 16, 2013
If people of religion are rewarded for such horrors as have been committed, the creator is indeed a vile representative of all that is stained with blood!

There is no question about that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Thu Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Aug 27 Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Aug 23 ELIAS IBARRA 46
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••