Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
435,761 - 435,780 of 538,994 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#451782 Jun 13, 2013
So according to the Catholic theologians, Jesus stomped on the sinners in hell, yet while on earth Jesus supposedly taught, "Judge not lest ye be judged."

It seems that after he died and became a judge, Jesus' evil side gained control over him.

:)

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#451783 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
True (original) Catholics were comparable to bull-dozers.
:)
==========

Limerick for June

There once was a lady named June
Who likes to call Christians buffoon
With a turn of her words
She turned positives into turds
Cause to our Love her heart was immune

(thought youd laugh at this one)
marge

Ames, IA

#451784 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know you have the uncorrupted NT? Because you accept the authority of the Catholic Church who told you what it was.
Sorry Anthony, you added seven books to our canon.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#451785 Jun 13, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Black Thunder 42"
Your reasoning os based on fallacy.
If the basis for your belief is not based on reason and actuality, your action is unreconciled in that behalf, therefore conceived in fantasy rather than actuality. Anything attributed to such a basis is unfounded and untrustworthy concerning actuality and reality. It is classified as "delusion", and anyone who would espouse such behavior would not be trusted to be realistic or objective by any reasonable person or client. If you were to profess such "delusion" as a prospective hire to me, I would immediately dismiss you as a prospective employ.
You still don't get it. You begin studies in any subject, not knowing whether that knowledge is true, or whether it will be beneficial. When one begins to study a course in college, they are a 'greenhorn'...but, if they continue, they can gain knowledge and experience, and can graduate with a degree. They began in faith that the course would be beneficial.
I accepted Him by faith, but have gained much experience and knowledge, and now KNOW that I can trust Him.
KayMarie
Im sorry...I would absolutely reject you as a prospective client or employee = unresponsible to reality and respective action related to immediate action based on actuality and related responsibility and accountable situations....undependable in realistic situations.

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#451786 Jun 13, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
Some excommunications,
Aren't devout believers supposed to wait until they die to see who is supposed to be excommunicated from eternal bliss???

How is it that mortal men can make such a weighty (harmful) decision over the lives of others???
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#451787 Jun 13, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
Capitals letter are for emphases...for the blind such as you are..
WHAT YOU ARE TELLING EVERY ONE HERE IS THAT WHEN PAUL WRITE THE SCRIPTURES
(Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.)
HE WAS WRITING TO THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH..THAT HAD SPLINTERED OFF FROM THE REAL TRUE CHURCH .....
AND WAS ALREADY DEEP INTO IDOLATRY....RIGHT?
THEY DID NOT LISTEN TO HIM THEN... AND WONT LISTEN NOW...
You are (forever) "making up" your own 21st century bible only Protestant history book of legends from the "cafeteria style" listing of bible verses, carefully pyramiding them all together. There is "not one" reliable and authentic history author or writer from over 2000 years of the Church that agrees with (anything) you have said regarding the "so-called splintering" of the Church during the era of Pauls ministry. HOWEVER!! There is ONE exception, and that is the Protestant Reformation which was the (greatest) splintering, division and separation from Jesus Christs One True Church,(the Apostolic Catholic Church). And then of course (as usual) you add your own (ignoramus) "anti-catholic" opinion to fertilize your comments with "cow compose"!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#451788 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
No one is saying Jesus founded the "Roman" Catholic Church. He founded the Church. The Church was/is found throughout the world. Sts. Peter and Paul founded Jesus's Church in Rome. They started calling it Catholic a few years later to identify it as the universal and one, true Church.
church: a calling out, i.e.(concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly.

Christ founded Christianity....the Catholic denomination is just that...a denomination.

The National Council of Church’s report on church membership lists the following organizations as the top ten biggest religious denominations in the U.S.A.:

The Catholic Church: 68.5 million
Southern Baptist Convention: 16.1 million
The United Methodist Church: 7.8 million
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints: 6 million
The Church of God in Christ: 5.5 million
National Baptist Convention, USA: 5 million
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: 4.5 million
National Baptist Convention of America: 3.5 million
Assemblies of God: 2.9 million
Presbyterian Church (USA): 2.7 million

When the Catholic denomination made the scene, it was some 100 years after Christ made His announcement...Peter...the supposed first pope was dead and gone.....years before!!!!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#451789 Jun 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Peter was not the exclusive recipient of the Keys...
all the disciples ( students of Jesus) with the apostles received THE
SAME KEYS..
WHY IS IT THAT ONLY PETER... HAS BEEN SINGLED OUT...
BY THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH .
DID JESUS LIE WHEN SAID TO ALL HIS DISCIPLES?
Joh 20:20 And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
Joh 20:21 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
NOTE
Joh 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.
This is just more of your anti-catholic BS that you "throw around" on this forum. Please tell us all WHERE in these verses that you list does it say that Jesus "gave keys to every one of the Apostles"??? You are 'MAKING THIS UP" making it mean ONLY WHAT YOU WANT IT TO MEAN!!! Jesus gave the keys ONLY to Peter and it is "clearly and concisely" spoken by Jesus HIMSELF in Matthew 16:19 ---"To YOU Peter, I give the keys to the kingdom of heaven". It is the ONLY place "specifically" where Jesus spoke the word "keys"!!!
marge

Ames, IA

#451790 Jun 13, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
APOSTOLIC FATHERS
The earliest Church Fathers,(within two generations of the Twelve Apostles of Christ) are usually called the Apostolic Fathers since tradition describes them as having been taught by the twelve. Important Apostolic Fathers include Clement of Rome,[5] Ignatius of Antioch and Polycarp of Smyrna. In addition, the Didache and Shepherd of Hermas are usually placed among the writings of the Apostolic Fathers although their authors are unknown;
Clement of Rome Clement wasa associated with Peter and with Paul (as the Clement Paul wrote about in Philippians 4:3),•Clement of Rome, "had seen the blessed Apostles (Peter and Paul) and had been conversant with them" (Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses, III, iii, 3). Little is known about Clement, though it is said that he was a disciple of Peter and Paul (1 Clement 5:1-7), and that he was the third or fourth bishop of Rome. This Clement is often associated with the Clement mentioned by Paul in his letter to the Philippians (4:3), though we cannot be sure.
His epistle, 1 Clement (c.96),[5] was copied and widely read in the Early Church.[6] Clement calls on the Christians of Corinth to maintain harmony and order.[5] It is the earliest Christian epistle outside the New Testament.
Ignatius of Antioch Ignatius of Antioch (also known as Theophorus)(c.35-110)[7] was the third bishop or Patriarch of Antioch and a student of the Apostle John.
Polycarp of Smyrna (c.69–c.155) was a Christian bishop of Smyrna (now &#304;zmir in Turkey). It is recorded that he had been a disciple of John. Traditional advocates follow Eusebius in insisting that the apostolic connection of Polycarp was with John the Evangelist, and that this John, the author of the Gospel of John, was the same as the Apostle John.
Papias (70-155)- Papias was a friend of Polycarp, and along with Polycarp had the opportunity to sit at the feet of the apostle John and others who had seen and heard Jesus during His earthly ministry. Later in his life he became the bishop of the church in Hierapolis (just north of Laodicea) during the first part of the second century. Through his acquaintance with those who had known Jesus and His apostles, Papias gathered many of the sayings of the words of Christ together, along with other historical information, and compiled them into five books entitled,“Explanations of the Sayings of the Lord.” Very little of this work has been preserved to our day.
The Didache (the teaching of the twelve)- This document is a two part manual of church instruction. The first part, known as “The Way” dates to the time of Christ, and lays out the principles of Christian conduct and was used in the early church as an instruction for young children. The second part, called “The Teaching,” dates to the early part of the second century and offers instructions on Christian worship, baptism, fasting, the Lord’s Supper, true and false teachers, worship on Sunday, and offices of bishops and deacons
APOSTOLIC CONNECTION
The early Church relied on apostolic authority in separating orthodox from unorthodox works, teachings, and practices. The four Gospels were each assigned, directly or indirectly to an apostle,as were certain other New Testament books. Earlier church fathers were also associated with apostles: Clement with Peter (associated closely with Rome) and with Paul (as the Clement Paul wrote about in Philippians 4:3), Papias and Polycarp with John (associated with Asia Minor).
Hey Hermi, I'm not trying to change you or anything but most that read the Bible as the Word of God would, call no man Father,period.,...
so if you eliminated that term from your commentaries they might be taken more seriously,...or read.

Location hidden

#451791 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You give meaning to the phrase "there's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people..."
You are getting better at dodging!!!!

Location hidden

#451792 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
St. Peter founded the Church in Rome probably in the 40's AD. St. Paul ended up there as well. They were both martyred there In the late 60's AD. Some years later, probably before the death of St. John they started calling it the Catholic Church, as in "universal". It's still called that today.
Catholic Church (Christianity / Roman Catholic Church) short for Roman Catholic Church

It is called a "dictionary"

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#451793 Jun 13, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Hermi, I'm not trying to change you or anything but most that read the Bible as the Word of God would, call no man Father,period.,...
so if you eliminated that term from your commentaries they might be taken more seriously,...or read.
Marge, Thanks for the
helpful advice. Luv Ya

Location hidden

#451794 Jun 13, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
You are (forever) "making up" your own 21st century bible only Protestant history book of legends from the "cafeteria style" listing of bible verses, carefully pyramiding them all together. There is "not one" reliable and authentic history author or writer from over 2000 years of the Church that agrees with (anything) you have said regarding the "so-called splintering" of the Church during the era of Pauls ministry. HOWEVER!! There is ONE exception, and that is the Protestant Reformation which was the (greatest) splintering, division and separation from Jesus Christs One True Church,(the Apostolic Catholic Church). And then of course (as usual) you add your own (ignoramus) "anti-catholic" opinion to fertilize your comments with "cow compose"!!!
AYE!
And so do you!
Where the hell IS your deity?
Talk about "compose"!
Your rhetoric is all compost!

All I have seen here is semantics based on fantasy...such pure nonsensical rhetoric.
It is like watching the Lilliputions' argue their ridiculous nonsense. It is comical...
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#451795 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I wonder how many devout believers gawk at such works of art, and always imagine their selves as being members of the "elect?"
Religion is BUNK!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>
Signs & Symbols in Christian Art
The Last Judgment
Christ with a radiance about Him, is usually seated upon a throne or rainbow. He shows His wounds, the mantle He wears leaving His right side uncovered. His appearance is expressive of His role as Judge. He may turn away from the damned; His right hand, with palm upward, extends welcome to the elect; His left hand, with palm downward, rejects the damned.
Don't you have to go to the bathroom June?
Disciple

San Diego, CA

#451796 Jun 13, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just more of your anti-catholic BS that you "throw around" on this forum. Please tell us all WHERE in these verses that you list does it say that Jesus "gave keys to every one of the Apostles"??? You are 'MAKING THIS UP" making it mean ONLY WHAT YOU WANT IT TO MEAN!!! Jesus gave the keys ONLY to Peter and it is "clearly and concisely" spoken by Jesus HIMSELF in Matthew 16:19 ---"To YOU Peter, I give the keys to the kingdom of heaven". It is the ONLY place "specifically" where Jesus spoke the word "keys"!!!
Yea but if Peter has them then the pope doesn't.
That's the bs you throw around.

Location hidden

#451797 Jun 13, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
And the "keys" are found in the old Egyptian teachings of THOTH if you have any understanding of what Jesus was saying "specifically" at all.
You people are so lost about your own religion and it's beginnings it isn't even funny anymore. Your ignorance is astounding.
rosesz

Ashburn, VA

#451798 Jun 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
This seems to be an "Jewish" (unsure) website that tries to capture all the possibilities on "if Peter was in Rome".
Interesting read, but sometimes quite confusing in ways, if you have no prior history study. But it does place both sides of the coin out there....I'm still on the fence.
http://www.hope-of-israel.org/petrome.htm
I will read it but what's weird is I have never read it heard anything other than that Peter was in Rome..however when they persecuted the Jews there for a while ..they left. Not sure when ..if they went back..But Then they persecuted the Christian s there also ..

I learned as a child he died there.
rosesz

San Jose, CA

#451799 Jun 13, 2013
Actually on this forum is the first time I ever heard that Peter was nit in Rome. And that He died in the prosecutions there.

I still do not believe that had he lived a really really long time He woukd have become enmeshed with emperors and kings. Not gathered great riches or worn a crown or call it tiara.

In Peters time they gathered earthly goods,in order to distribute them to the poorer believers and to help the disciples travelling to other places to spread the Word.

Location hidden

#451800 Jun 13, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Imo..We Gentiles,are adopted into the descendants if Abraham
I still believe God has a special plan for His Chosen. He is not going to leave out true believers believers Yahweh God. I don't know what the plan is..But He does
There are Messianic Jews.now.
There will be those Jews in the tribulation who are marked by the Spirit to spread the word to His people.
Christ said: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Show me were this excludes Jews whom are still waiting for their Messiah....

Jews do not accept Jesus as the messiah because:

Jesus did not fulfill the messianic prophecies.
Jesus did not embody the personal qualifications of the Messiah.
Biblical verses "referring" to Jesus are mistranslations.
Jewish belief is based on national revelation.
truth

Perth, Australia

#451801 Jun 13, 2013
Please say always ..thanks to Father for his creation.
Ones when you realise Father send but used His Son..turn over everyone against each other.

Please say Thanks to Father for his Creation.
Thanks to Holy Spirit as Protector united with Son Jesus Christ.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Thu Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Aug 27 Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Aug 23 ELIAS IBARRA 46
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••