Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 653995 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#452045 Jun 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But you still believe in a devil, so you must believe that he has employment under god ... right??? Or do now believe that "god" has laid him off for lack of work?
Theology is very silly.
Here's what the Church believes. It's a little long, but expalisn it properly.

Thanks

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...

How to read the account of the fall

390 The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man.264 Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.265

II. THE FALL OF THE ANGELS

391 Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy.266 Scripture and the Church's Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called "Satan" or the "devil".267 The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: "The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing."268

392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels.269 This "fall" consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. We find a reflection of that rebellion in the tempter's words to our first parents: "You will be like God."270 The devil "has sinned from the beginning"; he is "a liar and the father of lies".271

393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels' sin unforgivable. "There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death."272

394 Scripture witnesses to the disastrous influence of the one Jesus calls "a murderer from the beginning", who would even try to divert Jesus from the mission received from his Father.273 "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil."274 In its consequences the gravest of these works was the mendacious seduction that led man to disobey God.

395 The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God's reign. Although Satan may act in the world out of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his action may cause grave injuries - of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature- to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but "we know that in everything God works for good with those who love him."275
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#452046 Jun 14, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
"Sola scriptura" means "bible alone, right?
So this "sola scriptura" concept must be somewhere in the Bible, right?
Where is this teaching, then? What book, chapter, and verse?
Pro 30:5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
Pro 30:6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
Doesn't say "Bible alone." Doesn't come close.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#452047 Jun 14, 2013
What we perceive as upheavals in nature, if perceived from another point of view is simply nature taking it's own course.

If there is another magnetic pole-shift in the making, there is no common-sense reason for humans to take it as a personal vendetta from a creator.

That would be silly indeed, as many forms of life, or many all forms of life will be faced with probably extinction.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#452048 Jun 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But you still believe in a devil, so you must believe that he has employment under god ... right??? Or do now believe that "god" has laid him off for lack of work?
Theology is very silly.
Short form, I believe there's a God and a devil, a Heaven and a Hell.

I don't decide who goes to either place.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#452049 Jun 14, 2013
atemcowboy wrote:
<quoted text>look, that is abeleif hat ALL Christians have. we eleive the Bible is ALL TELLING, ALL KNOWING. IF YOU CATHOLICS DONT, THEN YOU FAIL TO UNDRSTAND GOD PLAN TO GIVE IT TO US.
AND PLEASE, WE ARE NOT STUPID ENOUGH TO THANK THAT THE RCC GAVE IT TO U. YOU CAME ALONG MUCH LATER WWHEN YOU CHOSE TO DISBELIEVE IN GOD AND HIS WORD.
So now the Bible is Omniscient? I thought that was a capacity only God had.

Prince George, Canada

#452050 Jun 14, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
If we cannot trust in His WORD what do we have ???
We have our own self-worth, without interference of any religion.
truth

Huntingdale, Australia

#452051 Jun 14, 2013
Do you liked pamuk.pa muka mi je znas=muka=sorrofull getsemani guarden..

muka=bread
solomone kolomone masti slasti salamasi
posto vase salo
salo
o to se ti salis..pa salimo se..
jesi li gladan
na najidni se..o kako si mi debeo..imas sala..
evo sjedi ovdje meko je meca neka neka jastuk od lana
mr lama..o did you..you can lose salo kad se okipi od vrucine za chips..o yes sve je chipo sve je jeftino
where in nase kinge konge tange longe as language and llaungage..lipo lipo lezecke mrtve pare dzabe dzabe..nema dzabe ni u stare babe..grijes grijes..ma hajde jadan nebio koga ces ti ugrijati griji=error grijota je o jorte grijote je secret reci drugome
who betray in secret=how you call that
marge

Leesburg, GA

#452052 Jun 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. You two really do think Jesus passed out Bibles.
Warnings from Israel's Past

1Moreover, brethren, I would not that ye should be ignorant, how that all our fathers were under the cloud, and all passed through the sea; 2And were all baptized unto Moses in the cloud and in the sea; 3And did all eat the same spiritual meat; 4And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ. 5But with many of them God was not well pleased: for they were overthrown in the wilderness.

6Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. 7Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. 8Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand. 9Neither let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed of serpents. 10Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer.

11Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: >and they are written for our admonition,< upon whom the ends of the world are come.
Pad

Rockford, IL

#452053 Jun 14, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
And YOU deny Jesus Christs clearly "expressed, spoken and stated words" in the gospel of Matthew 16:13-21 regarding His One True (universal-Catholic) Church....And...YOU also deny HIS own spoken words in John 6:47-59 regarding HIS TRUE BODY AND TRUE BLOOD "For unless you eat MY BODY which is "real food" and drink MY BLOOD which is "real drink" you CANNOT have ETERNAL LIFE. "These" are the "Scriptures that JESUS HIMSELF opened up to HIS apostles. Your own (modernistic-editorialized) bible interpretations of
Sacred Scripture are the REAL CONJECTURE and false teaching of bible only Protestant "relative truth" half-truth Christianity!!!
There is nothing half truth about Christianity in general,either you beleive that JESUS Christ is Lord or you do not. You were a Lutheran hojo,there is much to be said how similar in traditions and ways the Lutherans are to the Catholics.The Lutherans I have known for years are typically much like the Catholics,they have a liturgy,and the mindset of how they view Scripture is also quite the same.Most Lutherans believe in the Eucharist as well,although of course they might reject transubstantiation.

Some Lutherans are evangelical,many are not,some are even quite liberal,and much like the liberal Catholics.With most Lutherans the child song "Jesus loves me this I know for the Bible tells me so" is as far as that goes,childhood and good bye.Many are immersed in their Churchy activities,and I'm a Lutheran.It is funny how even Martin Luther did not want his people to call themselves Lutherans.

Lutheranism in Scandinavia has become state religions,cold,and mechanical like all religions become when they are politicized.

You claim you know what evangelicals believe and so on,but I doubt you really do.All that we believe is the standard and common dogmas of the holy faith which is from the first century church.Jesus Christ is God Incarnate,and Man from the holy mother Mary. We believe in the Trinity,Communion,Confession,b aptism and in the Writ of Holy Scripture.

All Christians born of the Spirit of Christ are the C h u r c h,if you do not believe that than you are denying Scripture.We are made ONE in Christ through the Spirit, not an organization or institution of religious formation. I am not saying that Catholics are not part of the Body of Christ,they are not the only Body of Christ as they claim to be. AND guess what hojo,we Christians who are not RC,are not separated brethren,because in the Spirit of Christ we are automatically grafted into the main vine who is Christ,it has nothing to do with church affiliation,membership,but that which is born of Christ.

The Church is not an organization although many organizations are formed into its framework,but the church is a living breathing organism of men,women and children born of the SAME Spirit of God,through the Holy Spirit,and in Christ Jesus,who suffered,died and rose again from the dead.

Christ is not divided,we are divided by our own pride and forms of ideology.

But Christ is still the same"YESTERDAY,TODAY and FOREVER." I do not believe He is different to me,than He would be to you.If you are not getting closer to the Father through Jesus,than there is something amiss in your relationship with Christ.Christ is the only path,door,channel,or guide to the Father.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#452054 Jun 14, 2013
RoSesz wrote:
<quoted text>
So lets see it is someone other than Jesus in the scriptures who saves.
I am trusting in His Word..Not making it up.
If I conjecture any thing I say so..But nit on the Word,itself.
As written and told to the Apostles and Nicodemus by Jesus Himself.
Are you saying that The Church was,mistaken in those scriptures??
They git it wrong or exaggerated.
If we cannot trust in His WORD what do we have ???
What I'm saying is that you and marge hold yourself less accountable to scripture than you hold the Apostles.

Both of you spent an entire day trying to explain to me that the Apostles' teachings (with Christ's direct authority) just HAD to be transcribed so "believers" such as yourselves could make sure the Apostles were correct. So you could check their work. So you could approve it as correct.

You two? Walk up to the front of your congregation, say "I believe and I'm saved" and that's it. All good. The Apostles require your audit, but you two slide.

Prince George, Canada

#452055 Jun 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's what the Church believes. It's a little long, but expalisn it properly.
Thanks
http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive...
How to read the account of the fall
390 The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man.264 Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.265
II. THE FALL OF THE ANGELS
391 Behind the disobedient choice of our first parents lurks a seductive voice, opposed to God, which makes them fall into death out of envy.266 Scripture and the Church's Tradition see in this being a fallen angel, called "Satan" or the "devil".267 The Church teaches that Satan was at first a good angel, made by God: "The devil and the other demons were indeed created naturally good by God, but they became evil by their own doing."268
392 Scripture speaks of a sin of these angels.269 This "fall" consists in the free choice of these created spirits, who radically and irrevocably rejected God and his reign. We find a reflection of that rebellion in the tempter's words to our first parents: "You will be like God."270 The devil "has sinned from the beginning"; he is "a liar and the father of lies".271
393 It is the irrevocable character of their choice, and not a defect in the infinite divine mercy, that makes the angels' sin unforgivable. "There is no repentance for the angels after their fall, just as there is no repentance for men after death."272
394 Scripture witnesses to the disastrous influence of the one Jesus calls "a murderer from the beginning", who would even try to divert Jesus from the mission received from his Father.273 "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil."274 In its consequences the gravest of these works was the mendacious seduction that led man to disobey God.
395 The power of Satan is, nonetheless, not infinite. He is only a creature, powerful from the fact that he is pure spirit, but still a creature. He cannot prevent the building up of God's reign. Although Satan may act in the world out of hatred for God and his kingdom in Christ Jesus, and although his action may cause grave injuries - of a spiritual nature and, indirectly, even of a physical nature- to each man and to society, the action is permitted by divine providence which with strength and gentleness guides human and cosmic history. It is a great mystery that providence should permit diabolical activity, but "we know that in everything God works for good with those who love him."275
But I asked you a simple question. What purpose is there now for a devil, if from your opinion, he does not burn "souls" in hell for eternity?

And why do you suppose a god that supposedly "hates" evil would allow a devil to tempt humans to perform wicked deeds?

You shouldn't need to rely on scriptures to answer common-sense questions.
truth

Huntingdale, Australia

#452056 Jun 14, 2013

Prince George, Canada

#452057 Jun 14, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Short form, I believe there's a God and a devil, a Heaven and a Hell.
I don't decide who goes to either place.
But if you are honest, you believe that you are worthy of bliss in heaven and others are worthy of the punishment of hell.

From my perspective, that is not a positive belief, as what you are certain will occur in the lives of others could easily flip and have the opposite effect of what you expected.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#452058 Jun 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But I asked you a simple question. What purpose is there now for a devil, if from your opinion, he does not burn "souls" in hell for eternity?
And why do you suppose a god that supposedly "hates" evil would allow a devil to tempt humans to perform wicked deeds?
Asking me what purpose is there "now" for a devil implies that there once was a purpose for a devil.

The devil/Satan is a personification of evil/sin/the loss of God. Estrangement from God is a bad thing now as it always has been.

Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

#452059 Jun 14, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished to all good works.
"given by inspiration" and "profitable" do not mean sufficient.

Definition of SUFFICIENT
1a : enough to meet the needs of a situation or a proposed end

Merriam-Webster

example -
The Bible by itself is not sufficient to provide the fullness of the Christian Faith.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#452060 Jun 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't say "Bible alone." Doesn't come close.
Psalm 119:65
You have dealt well with your servant, O LORD, according unto your word.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#452061 Jun 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
.....and the "God hates evil, why does he allow the devil..." question is the same rhetorical device we see from atheists who ask us to explain why God didn't stop a hurricane or tornado from harming people.

I can't tell you why God does things. I'm not Him.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#452062 Jun 14, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
But if you are honest, you believe that you are worthy of bliss in heaven and others are worthy of the punishment of hell.
From my perspective, that is not a positive belief, as what you are certain will occur in the lives of others could easily flip and have the opposite effect of what you expected.
I certainly do not believe that I'm "worthy of bliss in Heaven" and that others should be damned.

Straw man, June. I never claimed nor inferred that.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#452063 Jun 14, 2013
Jeremiah 15:16

When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, LORD God Almighty.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#452064 Jun 14, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
"given by inspiration" and "profitable" do not mean sufficient.
Definition of SUFFICIENT
1a : enough to meet the needs of a situation or a proposed end
Merriam-Webster
example -
The Bible by itself is not sufficient to provide the fullness of the Christian Faith.
prof·it·a·ble

/&#712;präfit&#601;b &#601;l/

Adjective
1.(of a business or activity) Yielding profit or financial gain.
2.Beneficial; useful.

The Bible assuredly IS useful and beneficial. It isn't "sufficient".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 4 hr I recently left 10,207
News Pope Francis wades into transgender debate, lam... Wed South Knox Hombre 2
News Pope Francis' Remarks Disappoint Gay and Transg... Aug 4 Leon 2
News The Pope s War Aug 2 The Proclaimer 1
News Franklin Graham rebuts pope on Islam: - This is... Aug 1 Bob 1
News Pope Francis: 'Trump is not Christian' (Feb '16) Jul '16 make Donald Drump... 47
News Holding the left responsible (Sep '15) Jul '16 Crusader 4
More from around the web