Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 658720 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Prince George, Canada

#451763 Jun 13, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Black Thunder 42"
I would reckon that your basis is "faith", which has no need for accounts of actuality.
That, in itself, negates responsibility for factual evidence and actuality, and is worthless in the pursuit of "truth", accountability and reason.
You don't understand 'faith'...
KM
You have complete faith in your own sermons.

Any person with spaghetti for brains can have that type of faith.

Prince George, Canada

#451764 Jun 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
I'm sorry - not "should" - just a suggestion. My post meant that....I can't make anyone do anything through just posting.....*smiles*.....
But you "should" stay positive!
:o)
A happy mind will heal the body quicker.
Is it positive to lay claim to a belief that self will go to heaven and others will go to hell???

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#451765 Jun 13, 2013
I'm sorry - not "should" - just a suggestion. My post meant that....I can't make anyone do anything through just posting.....*smiles*.....
But you "should" stay positive!
A happy mind will heal the body quicker.
And sometimes a punch in the nose can make the "mind" act in a quicker more reasonable manner.
Just so you know...

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#451766 Jun 13, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
Curious on how the Orthodox came about from the disciples
==

Rosesz-Your answer is in the next post: Apostolic Fathers. Hope this is helpful.

The early Church Fathers fall into categories: "APOSTOLIC FATHERS" "APOLOGISTS" ANTE-NICENE FATHERS POST-NICENE CHURCH FATHERS

The Apostolic Fathers are a small number of Early Christian authors who lived and wrote in the second half of the 1st century and the first half of the 2nd century.
The Apostolic Church Fathers were contemporaries of the apostles and were taught by them, carrying on the tradition and teaching of the apostles themselves as their direct successors.

The label "APOSTOLIC FATHERS" has been applied to them since the 17th century to indicate that they were thought of as being of the generation that had personal contact with the Twelve Apostles. Thus they provide a link between the Apostles—who had personal contact with Jesus—and the later generations of Church Fathers, which includes the Christian apologists, defenders of orthodoxy, and developers of doctrine.

THE "APOLOGISTS" , in the second century and afterwards, They defended Christianity that was being persecuted for a number of reasons. They defended the faith and destroyed prejudice. In the second century a new kind of literature grew up which shows the struggles of Christians against enemies from inside and outside the Church. The defence of the faith against heresy gave rise to a good number of anti-heretical writings The main objective of the 'Apologists' was to indicate Christian truth, and their writings were directed at readers outside the Church

Unlike the APOSTOLIC FATHERS who were generally simple, uncultivated men, the ANTE-NICENE FATHERS from 150-325ad included the first great CHRISTIAN intellectuals who sought a synthesis between BIBLICAL TRUTH and the best of classical wisdom.
Employing the rigorous intellectual tools OF GREEK philosophy in their reflection on the mysteries of the faith, these writers contributed to the clarification and development of CATHOLIC doctrine as well as to its faithful transmission.

Some of these were Justin Martyr (cir. 100-165) Irenaeus of Lyons (cir. 135-202) Tertullian (cir. 155–230) Clement of Alexandria (cir. 150-215) and Origen (ca AD 185-254) The final significant second century apologist is Clement of Alexandria

The ANTE-NICENE FATHERS were those who came after the apostolic fathers and before the Council of Nicea in A.D. 325. Such individuals as Irenaeus, Athanasius the Great 293 CE- 373 CE and Justin Martyr are ante-Nicene fathers.

The POST-NICENE CHURCH FATHERS are such noted men as Augustine, John Chrysostom, Gregory of Nanzianzus, Gregory of Nyssa, Basil, Jerome, and Eusebius The post-Nicene church fathers are those who came after the Council of Nicea in A.D. 325. Other post-Nicene fathers were Jerome, who translated the Greek New Testament into the Latin Vulgate, and Ambrose

Location hidden

#451767 Jun 13, 2013
APOSTOLIC FATHERS

The earliest Church Fathers,(within two generations of the Twelve Apostles of Christ) are usually called the Apostolic Fathers since tradition describes them as having been taught by the twelve. Important Apostolic Fathers include Clement of Rome,[5] Ignatius of Antioch and Polycarp of Smyrna. In addition, the Didache and Shepherd of Hermas are usually placed among the writings of the Apostolic Fathers although their authors are unknown;

Clement of Rome Clement wasa associated with Peter and with Paul (as the Clement Paul wrote about in Philippians 4:3),•Clement of Rome, "had seen the blessed Apostles (Peter and Paul) and had been conversant with them" (Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses, III, iii, 3). Little is known about Clement, though it is said that he was a disciple of Peter and Paul (1 Clement 5:1-7), and that he was the third or fourth bishop of Rome. This Clement is often associated with the Clement mentioned by Paul in his letter to the Philippians (4:3), though we cannot be sure.
His epistle, 1 Clement (c.96),[5] was copied and widely read in the Early Church.[6] Clement calls on the Christians of Corinth to maintain harmony and order.[5] It is the earliest Christian epistle outside the New Testament.

Ignatius of Antioch Ignatius of Antioch (also known as Theophorus)(c.35-110)[7] was the third bishop or Patriarch of Antioch and a student of the Apostle John.

Polycarp of Smyrna (c.69–c.155) was a Christian bishop of Smyrna (now &#304;zmir in Turkey). It is recorded that he had been a disciple of John. Traditional advocates follow Eusebius in insisting that the apostolic connection of Polycarp was with John the Evangelist, and that this John, the author of the Gospel of John, was the same as the Apostle John.

Papias (70-155)- Papias was a friend of Polycarp, and along with Polycarp had the opportunity to sit at the feet of the apostle John and others who had seen and heard Jesus during His earthly ministry. Later in his life he became the bishop of the church in Hierapolis (just north of Laodicea) during the first part of the second century. Through his acquaintance with those who had known Jesus and His apostles, Papias gathered many of the sayings of the words of Christ together, along with other historical information, and compiled them into five books entitled,“Explanations of the Sayings of the Lord.” Very little of this work has been preserved to our day.

The Didache (the teaching of the twelve)- This document is a two part manual of church instruction. The first part, known as “The Way” dates to the time of Christ, and lays out the principles of Christian conduct and was used in the early church as an instruction for young children. The second part, called “The Teaching,” dates to the early part of the second century and offers instructions on Christian worship, baptism, fasting, the Lord’s Supper, true and false teachers, worship on Sunday, and offices of bishops and deacons

APOSTOLIC CONNECTION
The early Church relied on apostolic authority in separating orthodox from unorthodox works, teachings, and practices. The four Gospels were each assigned, directly or indirectly to an apostle,as were certain other New Testament books. Earlier church fathers were also associated with apostles: Clement with Peter (associated closely with Rome) and with Paul (as the Clement Paul wrote about in Philippians 4:3), Papias and Polycarp with John (associated with Asia Minor).

Location hidden

#451768 Jun 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Hi Herme - good to see ya posting and I hope your mind is only on the positives.
You should take a couple of weeks and read this book. It is engaging, with footnotes, and very informative.
"The Jesus Dynasty", by Dr. James Tabor
http://www.amazon.com/The-Jesus-Dynasty-Histo...
http://jesusdynasty.com/
Best regards,
Thanks Will do. Great seeing you.

Prince George, Canada

#451769 Jun 13, 2013
Those who are certain they are saved lord it over those they believe will be fodder for hell.

They often have the attitude, "I pity you for not believing as I believe."

Even as a child no preacher could encourage me to buy into that nonsense.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>>

Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Last Judgment

Often other angels hover near Christ, bearing the instruments of His passion. At His right hand, the elect are rising to their reward in Heaven; and at His left hand, the damned are being cast down to Hell.

Location hidden

#451770 Jun 13, 2013
<quoted text>
"probabilities and not certainties"
Agreed . You are totally correct

Location hidden

#451771 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your opinion. I respect it.
Catholics also respect your Church. We even capitalize Orthodox Church.
Anthony you are a gentleman, a Christian, and a True Catholic.

Location hidden

#451773 Jun 13, 2013
who="Black Thunder 42"
Actually, I do.
It is belief based on unfounded account, rather than proven actuality. It has no basis in actuality since it has no ground in reality or actuality.
It appears YOU are the one who does nit understand the meaning of "faith" in this instance.
Quite to the contrary. While we cannot 'see' God, and while we do not have all knowledge...Faith is a process of acknowledging that God DOES know everything.
When one accepts Him...without seeing...as they walk by faith, they 'know' God, for they learn that all that He says is true/comes to pass. So where I have not seen Him...I can continue to trust His Word, knowing that IT DOES NOT FAIL.
He is not 'unproven' to those who trust Him...
KayMarie
Your reasoning os based on fallacy.
If the basis for your belief is not based on reason and actuality, your action is unreconciled in that behalf, therefore conceived in fantasy rather than actuality. Anything attributed to such a basis is unfounded and untrustworthy concerning actuality and reality. It is classified as "delusion", and anyone who would espouse such behavior would not be trusted to be realistic or objective by any reasonable person or client. If you were to profess such "delusion" as a prospective hire to me, I would immediately dismiss you as a prospective employ.

Location hidden

#451774 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you know you have the uncorrupted NT? Because you accept the authority of the Catholic Church who told you what it was.
And that based upon a propensity of liars.

Prince George, Canada

#451775 Jun 13, 2013
I wonder how many devout believers gawk at such works of art, and always imagine their selves as being members of the "elect?"

Religion is BUNK!
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>

Signs & Symbols in Christian Art

The Last Judgment

Christ with a radiance about Him, is usually seated upon a throne or rainbow. He shows His wounds, the mantle He wears leaving His right side uncovered. His appearance is expressive of His role as Judge. He may turn away from the damned; His right hand, with palm upward, extends welcome to the elect; His left hand, with palm downward, rejects the damned.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#451776 Jun 13, 2013
who="Black Thunder 42"
Your reasoning os based on fallacy.
If the basis for your belief is not based on reason and actuality, your action is unreconciled in that behalf, therefore conceived in fantasy rather than actuality. Anything attributed to such a basis is unfounded and untrustworthy concerning actuality and reality. It is classified as "delusion", and anyone who would espouse such behavior would not be trusted to be realistic or objective by any reasonable person or client. If you were to profess such "delusion" as a prospective hire to me, I would immediately dismiss you as a prospective employ.
You still don't get it. You begin studies in any subject, not knowing whether that knowledge is true, or whether it will be beneficial. When one begins to study a course in college, they are a 'greenhorn'...but, if they continue, they can gain knowledge and experience, and can graduate with a degree. They began in faith that the course would be beneficial.

I accepted Him by faith, but have gained much experience and knowledge, and now KNOW that I can trust Him.

KayMarie

Prince George, Canada

#451777 Jun 13, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
<quoted text>Anthony you are a gentleman, a Christian, and a True Catholic.
True (original) Catholics were comparable to bull-dozers.

:)
truth

Huntingdale, Australia

#451778 Jun 13, 2013
Look your log in your eyes.
usually every building nobody see when they passing trough street..each of them have shape and symbol full of deference love =as magnet
pool just tiny things to make celebrity for someone who is so smart..not who is with delusion.

Real Creator created you that you can created too..smart humans have building today as colony of ants somewhere in desert..no deference as sense of smart who liked be called smart.

Prince George, Canada

#451779 Jun 13, 2013
Hermeneutics Smutics wrote:
APOSTOLIC FATHERS
The earliest Church Fathers,(within two generations of the Twelve Apostles of Christ) are usually called the Apostolic Fathers since tradition describes them as having been taught by the twelve.
So twelve Jews taught the Catholic fathers.

How very ODD!!!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#451780 Jun 13, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
Breaking the sixth and ninth commandments do not incur automatic excommunication. Have someone explain to you what "Sacramental absolution of an accomplice in sin against the Sixth and Ninth Commandments" means.
Have some one tell you what this means:

Some excommunications, however, are automatic (effective at the moment the act is committed) and without the intervention of the Church. Catholics are automatically excommunicated for committing these offenses:

The breaking of the 6th Commandment is listed as one of those acts!!!!!

Prince George, Canada

#451781 Jun 13, 2013
I accepted Him by faith, but have gained much experience and knowledge, and now KNOW that I can trust Him.
KayMarie
You have faith that you KNOW absolute truth ... period!

No question about it!

Prince George, Canada

#451782 Jun 13, 2013
So according to the Catholic theologians, Jesus stomped on the sinners in hell, yet while on earth Jesus supposedly taught, "Judge not lest ye be judged."

It seems that after he died and became a judge, Jesus' evil side gained control over him.

Location hidden

#451783 Jun 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
True (original) Catholics were comparable to bull-dozers.
==========

Limerick for June

There once was a lady named June
Who likes to call Christians buffoon
With a turn of her words
She turned positives into turds
Cause to our Love her heart was immune

(thought youd laugh at this one)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 23 hr Proud2Goson 10,242
News The untold story of Queen Elizabeth I and Islam Sep 25 Full Muslim stupid 13
News Cardinal tipped to be the next Pope warns of an... Sep 20 Looking down our ... 25
News Catholic schools being closed at alarming rate (Apr '08) Sep 11 Jeremy 158
News The Latest: Walesa misses papal Mass, blames la... Sep 10 Ste 1
News Mother Teresa declared saint by Pope Francis Sep 8 South Knox Hombre 6
News 'Unlikely that Pope Francis will go to Pristina' Sep 8 CCCC 1
More from around the web