Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 573,728
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#445780 May 28, 2013
rosesz wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your source for these supposed quotes??
They sound ludicrous
My Source? Martin Luther himself. Many scholarly works confirm he said these things.

D. Martin Luthers Werke, kritische Gesamtausgabe [Hermann Bohlau Verlag, 1893], vol. 2, no. 1472, April 7 - May 1, 1532, p. 33

"Lenz: Briefwechsel, Vol. 1. Pg. 373

"Number 29 in Luther’s long series of seventy-seven sermons on Exodus preached from October 2, 1524, to February 2, 1527" [LW 35:159] in Wittenberg.

Luther's Works, Jena ed., 1558, 2, 116; cited in P. F. O'Hare, "The Facts About Luther", Rockford, 1987

April, 1525, " Werke," Weim. ed., 18, p. 547 ; Erl. ed., 53, p. 342 " Briefwechsel," 5, p. 151)."

Since: Sep 09

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445781 May 28, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
This page might help;
http://biblehub.com/matthew/16-28.htm
Helps WHAT?
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#445782 May 28, 2013
The debate continues, even after many hundreds of years.

Why?

Your god is imaginary, selected to serve your needs.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445783 May 28, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called "relative truth" Christianity (what each person decides for themselves is the truth"!
:)
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

Brewer’s Dictionary of Phrase & Fable by Ivor H. Evans … First published 1817.

The naked truth. The plain, unvarnished truth; truth without trimmings. The fable says that Truth and Falsehood went bathing; Falsehood came first out of the water, and dressed herself in Truth’s garments. Truth, unwilling to take those of Falsehood, went naked.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#445784 May 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Clay"
thank you.
I gotta admit, your following quote is troubling:
"Clay, repent and receive Christ by faith, and stop trying to please God with keeping certain rules and doing good works...you'll never make it"
I don't get it. That doesn't seem like something the Apostles would tell people. If that is your motto, its not good. I believe that mentality ushered in the problems our society has today. Everyone seems to boast they're 'saved' while hustling money and pimping hoes.
If you were to tell your niece that, and she turns from the Eucharist, you are going to be held responsible for that. This teaching of yours is against Jesus Christ. Its new and strange, Chuck.
You don't understand him, Clay. Salvation is a GIFT from God. Jesus said that if we BELIEVE on Him, we SHALL be saved.(Greek word interpreted 'shall' actually means 'must' or 'will have to be'.
In other words, if you believe Him, you 'will have to' be given life. Someone on here said the other day, that one will not know until after death, whether they will enter heaven. John wrote that, "these things are written (so) that YOU MAY KNOW..."
Anyone can tell you ABOUT the gift...but ONLY He 'gives' it. No one else can do/afford it.
KayMarie
1John 5:13 - St. John is certain not that his readers will make it to heaven, but that they are filled with the living presence of Christ. His readers are assured that they *possess* Christ, not that they will persevere in His grace until the end. If you go on reading the rest of the chapter you will see that is what he is talking about. This is a prime example of the DANGERS of taking scripture out of context and forcing it to fit one's conclusion.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#445785 May 28, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
When an artist paints a picture, the last touches are often "brilliant", and very small but "absolutely" necessary. The New Age movement offers different views of a picture, but lacks in "absoluteness", and the picture is unfinished.
Many religious theologies that have been deemed as 'defined', are only defined for the actions of belief while alive, and only include speculation for all aspects of the belief when one dies.
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
There is harmony, contrast, color, may be more complex, or simple, informed, or uninformed, in New Age, and so it appeals to a broad spectrum of minds and spirits as one "enters" the picture.
Sorry if my opinion offends?
Contradiction within the Bible does not constitute harmony.

You've now moved into a different level of identifying the words with another concept, and even then, only part of the wording is harmonized.

Your opinion doesn't offend, but is an incomplete thought. It actually sounds biased toward only your belief. But in fact, there is at least one flaw to this thinking.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#445786 May 28, 2013
Diana La Strega Regina wrote:
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the oldest known religion in the world?
Answer:
Oldest Known Religion:
Religion goes back at least as far as human civilizations. Nobody knows what the first religion was. The Egyptians predate the Jews, The Mesopotamian predate them. The Chinese predate them...
Hinduism: Since Sanskrit is the oldest written language, as far as religion being written down, and as far as organized religion is concerned, it would be Hinduism.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_oldest_ ...
<quoted text>
Your opinion doesn't count.
I've searched multiple sites and the conclusion is Judaism:
Moses 1500-1350 BCE
Hinduism:
2000 BCE.....JETHRO: these dates are not written in stone (no pun intended),there could be something out there that has gone undiscovered,so picking one is not easy an not exact,plus as i said before the catholic church has to open it's archives so the world can find out what they are hiding,and try an find a clue as to what was in the books they burned.there actions dictate to me they don't want the truth known.because the catholic church is not the true church of jesus/god.Unless a passage is found where jesus states a name of his church (which he wouldn't)no one can claim with absolute certainty their church is the true church. and we still have the problem "does god truly exist?" can't prove that either with absolute certainty.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445787 May 28, 2013
If I trusted theology ... and the theology stated that the one and only god created good and evil ... and I decided to puff my self up as ONLY good ... I would tend to believe that the god would see me as greedy ... NOT holy.

It's obvious that others disagree.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#445788 May 28, 2013
CHRIST taught:“Not every one who says to me,'Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”[6]

LUTHER teaches: "...with regard to God, and in all that bears on salvation or damnation,(man) has no 'free-will', but is a captive, prisoner and bond slave, either to the will of God, or to the will of Satan."[7]

"...we do everything of necessity and nothing by 'free-will'; for the power of 'free-will' is nil..."
'Bondage of the Will,''Martin Luther: Selections From His Writings, ed. by Dillenberger, Anchor Books, 1962 p. 190.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#445789 May 28, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
who="Clay"
thank you.
I gotta admit, your following quote is troubling:
"Clay, repent and receive Christ by faith, and stop trying to please God with keeping certain rules and doing good works...you'll never make it"
I don't get it. That doesn't seem like something the Apostles would tell people. If that is your motto, its not good. I believe that mentality ushered in the problems our society has today. Everyone seems to boast they're 'saved' while hustling money and pimping hoes.
If you were to tell your niece that, and she turns from the Eucharist, you are going to be held responsible for that. This teaching of yours is against Jesus Christ. Its new and strange, Chuck.
You don't understand him, Clay. Salvation is a GIFT from God. Jesus said that if we BELIEVE on Him, we SHALL be saved.(Greek word interpreted 'shall' actually means 'must' or 'will have to be'.
In other words, if you believe Him, you 'will have to' be given life. Someone on here said the other day, that one will not know until after death, whether they will enter heaven. John wrote that, "these things are written (so) that YOU MAY KNOW..."
Anyone can tell you ABOUT the gift...but ONLY He 'gives' it. No one else can do/afford it.
KayMarie
What is "believing"?

Does belief to you mean a simple mental acknowledgment that He is who He says He is?

Or is it possible that truly believing in Him, as Jesus Himself said (and the apostles), means hearing Him and actually DOING what He says?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#445790 May 28, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:

What are being "thrown out"?
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
When an artist paints a picture, the last touches are often "brilliant", and very small but "absolutely" necessary. The New Age movement offers different views of a picture, but lacks in "absoluteness", and the picture is unfinished.
There is harmony, contrast, color, may be more complex, or simple, informed, or uninformed, in New Age, and so it appeals to a broad spectrum of minds and spirits as one "enters" the picture.
Sorry if my opinion offends?
BTW - you never specifically stated what is being thrown out of any "New Age" philosophies.

You claim there is, but only gave a metaphoric analogy of something.

Please provide specific subjects that New Age philosophy "throws out".

Thanks!

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445791 May 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Your opinion doesn't offend, but is an incomplete thought. It actually sounds biased toward only your belief. But in fact, there is at least one flaw to this thinking.
If we were not all biased to our own beliefs, we wouldn't BE on a forum defending our own beliefs.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#445792 May 28, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
I went yesterday to Memorial Day Services. I am a bit ambivalent on the occasion. It is sad to remember so much suffering and death from war, while at the same time honoring the memory of those who died, and their survivors.
get rid of organized religion and you won't have so many wars.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#445793 May 28, 2013
Oxbow wrote:
<quoted text>
He is denying God,not because he sees no proof of, but because he can't see him.
The same applies to air-wind-electricity.....
Tell me...what was there before our universe came into existence...
Are you stupid or just mentally ill?

There is no proof for your deity.

There is plenty of proof of wind, electricity, etc.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445794 May 28, 2013
From my perception the "naked" truth is that I don't know even if absolute truth exists.

Maybe we all exist in a holographic universe of our own mental creation ... or not.
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#445795 May 28, 2013
<quoted text>
Repeat...repeat....repeat....b reathe....AAAAHHHH!
Repeat...repeat....repeat....b reathe....AAAAHHHH!
*sighs*
YES!!!! It is the same "repeated TRUTH" over and over and over again! For us Catholic and Jesus Christs One True Church, The TRUTH doesn't change!......... It has, is and will continue to remain the same TRUTH as it has for over 2000 years!!..... For "bible only Protestants"(since the Reformation)---"relative truth" editorializing the interpretation of the bible with each persons opinion" is what keeps you "fundies" bickering, arguing, and fighting among yourselves!!..... Each one "has their own (relative truth) where each person decides for themselves is the truth)....... That is why for Catholics, there is nothing to discuss, nothing to debate, nothing to deliberate! The TRUTH for us Catholics (never changes) Daily Mass, the bible (OT & NT) readings, the eucharist, the 7 Sacraments,(baptism), Confession, the Adoration Prayer Chapel and the PROVEN HISTORICAL AND BIBLICAL TRUTH of Jesus Christ and His One (and only one) TRUE Apostolic Catholic Church (the bride of Christ)

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445796 May 28, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>get rid of organized religion and you won't have so many wars.
You are still a very devout Christian, and from my perception, you are here to defend your specialized version of Christianity.

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445797 May 28, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>get rid of organized religion and you won't have so many wars.
From what you glean from biblical words, do you believe that the god that serves Christian appetites, is offended by homosexuality?

Vanderhoof, Canada

#445798 May 28, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you stupid or just mentally ill?
There is no proof for your deity.
There is plenty of proof of wind, electricity, etc.
Heavily indoctrinated.

Having been there, I recognize the symptoms.
marge

Ames, IA

#445799 May 28, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
1John 5:13 - St. John is certain not that his readers will make it to heaven, but that they are filled with the living presence of Christ. His readers are assured that they *possess* Christ, not that they will persevere in His grace until the end. If you go on reading the rest of the chapter you will see that is what he is talking about. This is a prime example of the DANGERS of taking scripture out of context and forcing it to fit one's conclusion.
1Cor
8He will keep you strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns. 9God will do this, for he is faithful to do what he says, and he has invited you into partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was Obama right about the Crusades and Islamic ... 9 hr barefoot2626 2,007
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 18 hr Mr Sir 8,910
Saudi effort to promote open society abroad in ... Feb 23 jinxi 3
9 Historical Events That Occurred on Christmas Day Feb 21 cupcake 1
Pope says Catholics must practice a responsible... Feb 20 amc 4
Episcopal parish to join Catholic Church (Jun '11) Feb 19 how g 4
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Feb 19 Jaimie 83,954
More from around the web