Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#445499 May 27, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
Ridiculous?
THEN WHAT MOTIVATES YOU?
My conscience motivates me to believe that when devout believers fight over who knows that the god loves them and will punish others ... something is very wrong with the religion itself.

In that regard I listened to my conscience even as a small child, and that is why theologians could not lure me into their divisive cults by emphasizing that they all knew the truth straight from "god."

You SO MUCH desire to believe that YOU are special, you are willing to believe that the same god that loves you, will punish others.

And you are PROUD of your belief!!!
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445500 May 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What a pile of slop in that supposed explanation.
Why are you SO intent on the idea that you will accept the part of the scripture that states Jehovah create "good" ... yet you dismiss the part of the scripture that states that he created "evil?"
Your problem IS, you only digest what you find digestible and pleasing to your own belief ... and nothing else is allowed entry.
June VanDerMark:

In the first place you are trying to make me explain something that does not exist in the scripture, Is 45:7 does not say God creates evil....the critical part of the verse to which you refer goes something like this in our language:(God) makes completeness, soundness, welfare, peace (and God) shapes/creates evil, distress, misery, injury, calamity.

Our definition of evil in modern language, came from older English carried forward, but means something more like "rottenness", as in the rotting away of a log from within.

You just can't look superficially at an "eye-catching" phrase and think you solved the mysteries of the Bible.(Most who begin their studies of the Bible fall prey to this, I know I have been guilty of doing it, and probably will continue to do so. I have fortunately got a little Greek and Hebrew in my brain, so I just relate easier to the meanings now than in my earlier years.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#445501 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
ADAM AND EVE OPENED UP ALL HUMANITY TO/IN WHAT THE BIBLE CALLS GOOD AND EVIL...
You overlook that within the theology it was the god who created Adam and Eve KNOWING they would sin and drag the people of the world into depravation.

Had he not created them ... we would still all be half good and half evil ... as Jehovah created us.

It's very silly stuff indeed ... but you wanted that salvation ... and so you ended up where you are today ... stuck in mental bondage to human-created words ... but ONLY to the words that reflect to you that YOU are special.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#445502 May 27, 2013
If you observe the words of all preachers of religion that believe in good and evil ... not one of them will say "I am part good and part evil."

They all claim they are good and others are evil.

Those claims are totally based on arrogance.
marge

Ames, IA

#445503 May 27, 2013
Anthony MN wrote:
<quoted text>
You deny Jesus's own words. That's on you confrinting.
The Great Commission

16Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18Then Jesus came to them and said,“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

where do you see Peter above the other disciples?
marge

Ames, IA

#445504 May 27, 2013
"All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445505 May 27, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Human, did you pray today's Office of Readings yet? It's related to human suffering (Job). I found it so helpful that I printed it out. Have to get that Breviary, although I'm looking at the one-volume with the red cover which doesn't have the Office of Readings.
Regina:
Yes. I start with both Morning and Office, everyday. We just started the Book of Job yesterday.

I went to Amazon for you to see, and make sure you are getting the correct volume which does have the Office readings. I am not sure of which one you were looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Liturgy-Hours-Ordinary-...

I try to sing, meditate, and pray the Hours. One should be open to being moved. God loves it when one sings the Bible back to Him.(Kind of a secret....)
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#445506 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
YOU MEAN I DENY WHAT YOU ROMAN CATHOLICS READ INTO THE WORDS
OF JESUS...
YOU edit them to make them say what you want them to...
IT TAKES TWO OR MORE SCRIPTURES FROM THE BIBLE
TO SUBSTANTIATE A DOCTRINE...
There are no other scriptures to..
co-relate
cross-reference or
validate
what you claim ...even if it said what you claim it does...
Start with the Gospel of St. Matthew:

Matt. 10:2; Mark 1:36; 3:16; Luke 6:14-16; Acts 1:3; 2:37; 5:29 - these are some of many examples where Peter is mentioned first among the apostles.

Matt. 14:28-29 - only Peter has the faith to walk on water. No other man in Scripture is said to have the faith to walk on water. This faith ultimately did not fail.

Matt. 16:16, Mark 8:29; John 6:69 - Peter is first among the apostles to confess the divinity of Christ.

Matt. 16:17 - Peter alone is told he has received divine knowledge by a special revelation from God the Father.

Matt. 16:18 - Jesus builds the Church only on Peter, the rock, with the other apostles as the foundation and Jesus as the Head.

Matt. 16:19 - only Peter receives the keys, which represent authority over the Church and facilitate dynastic succession to his authority.

Matt. 17:24-25 - the tax collector approaches Peter for Jesus' tax. Peter is the spokesman for Jesus. He is the Vicar of Christ.

Matt. 17:26-27 - Jesus pays the half-shekel tax with one shekel, for both Jesus and Peter. Peter is Christ's representative on earth.

Matt. 18:21 - in the presence of the disciples, Peter asks Jesus about the rule of forgiveness. One of many examples where Peter takes a leadership role among the apostles in understanding Jesus' teachings.

Matt. 19:27 - Peter speaks on behalf of the apostles by telling Jesus that they have left everything to follow Him.
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445507 May 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Observe how the Jews, Catholics, Protestants and Muslims fight over the attention of the one supposed god ... and surely you can see the stupidity of it all.
It's nothing but envy and jealousy over who god loves and who god will punish.
Ridiculous!
June VanDerMark:

That would be a stupid way of relating to God, I agree.

Much better it is to serve God, than imagine one can order Him around.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#445508 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
OF JESUS...
co-relate
cross-reference or
validate
Now Sts. Mark and Luke:

Mark 10:28 - here also, Peter speaks on behalf of the disciples by declaring that they have left everything to follow Him.

Mark 11:21 - Peter speaks on behalf of the disciples in remembering Jesus' curse on the fig tree.

Mark 14:37 - at Gethsemane, Jesus asks Peter, and no one else, why he was asleep. Peter is accountable to Jesus for his actions on behalf of the apostles because he has been appointed by Jesus as their leader.

Mark 16:7 - Peter is specified by an angel as the leader of the apostles as the angel confirms the resurrection of Christ.

Luke 5:3 – Jesus teaches from Peter’s boat which is metaphor for the Church. Jesus guides Peter and the Church into all truth.

Luke 5:4,10 - Jesus instructs Peter to let down the nets for a catch, and the miraculous catch follows. Peter, the Pope, is the "fisher of men."

Luke 7:40-50- Jesus addresses Peter regarding the rule of forgiveness and Peter answers on behalf of the disciples. Jesus also singles Peter out and judges his conduct vis-à-vis the conduct of the woman who anointed Him.

Luke 8:45 - when Jesus asked who touched His garment, it is Peter who answers on behalf of the disciples.

Luke 8:51; 9:28; 22:8; Acts 1:13; 3:1,3,11; 4:13,19; 8:14 - Peter is always mentioned before John, the disciple whom Jesus loved.

Luke 9:28;33 - Peter is mentioned first as going to mountain of transfiguration and the only one to speak at the transfiguration.

Luke 12:41 - Peter seeks clarification of a parable on behalf on the disciples. This is part of Peter's formation as the chief shepherd of the flock after Jesus ascended into heaven.

Luke 22:31-32 - Jesus prays for Peter alone, that his faith may not fail, and charges him to strengthen the rest of the apostles.

Luke 24:12, John 20:4-6 - John arrived at the tomb first but stopped and waited for Peter. Peter then arrived and entered the tomb first.

Luke 24:34 - the two disciples distinguish Peter even though they both had seen the risen Jesus the previous hour. See Luke 24:33.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#445509 May 27, 2013
WHY DON'T YOU READ YOUR BIBLEW
JESUS GAVE AUTHORITY TO ALL HIS APOSTLES
AND APOSTLES EXIST TODAY...
John 20:21-23 Then said Jesus to THEM again,
"Peace be unto you.
As My Father has sent Me, so send I you".
And when He had said this,
He breathed on THEM, and said unto THEM,
"Receive the Holy Ghost.
Whose soever sins you remit,
they are remitted unto them; and whose soever
sins you retain, they are retained."
WHY DO YOU SELFISHLY LIMIT THE POWER OF GOD JUST
TO ONE MAN?
AND CLAIM HE IS GOD ONLY REPRESENTATIVE ON EARTH..
I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT...
IF YOU FOLLOWED THE TRUTH OF THE BIBLE...YOUR
CHURCH WOULD PROVE IT SELF TO BE THE FARCE THAT IT REALLY IS.
THERE ARE APOSTLES TODAY...

The Apostle Paul wrote...

Eph 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

Eph 4:2 With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

NOTE

Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Eph 4:11 And he gave

some,apostles; and

some, prophets; and

some, evangelists; and

some, pastors and

teachers;

THEIR PURPOSE

Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints,

for the work of the ministry,

for the edifying of the body of Christ:

TIL WE MATURE IN CHRIST...

Eph 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God,

unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

THAT WE WONT BE LEAD AWAY TO CONJECTURE SUCH AS CATHOLICISM...

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things,

which is the head, even Christ:

Location hidden

#445510 May 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth is, the Church doesn't teach that. If you're a Christian, why are you trying to tell people we do?
The post quoted several popes or credible Catholic sources...and that is the truth....
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#445511 May 27, 2013
<quoted text>
~~~
OF JESUS...
co-relate
cross-reference or
validate
Here's St. John and Acts:

John 6:68 - after the disciples leave, Peter is the first to speak and confess his belief in Christ after the Eucharistic discourse.

John 13:6-9 - Peter speaks out to the Lord in front of the apostles concerning the washing of feet.

John 13:36; 21:18 - Jesus predicts Peter's death. Peter was martyred at Rome in 67 A.D. Several hundred years of papal successors were also martyred.

John 21:2-3,11 - Peter leads the fishing and his net does not break. The boat (the "barque of Peter") is a metaphor for the Church.

John 21:7 - only Peter got out of the boat and ran to the shore to meet Jesus. Peter is the earthly shepherd leading us to God.

John 21:15 - in front of the apostles, Jesus asks Peter if he loves Jesus "more than these," which refers to the other apostles. Peter is the head of the apostolic see.

John 21:15-17 - Jesus charges Peter to "feed my lambs," "tend my sheep," "feed my sheep." Sheep means all people, even the apostles.

Acts 1:13 - Peter is first when entering upper room after our Lord's ascension. The first Eucharist and Pentecost were given in this room.

Acts 1:15 - Peter initiates the selection of a successor to Judas right after Jesus ascended into heaven, and no one questions him. Further, if the Church needed a successor to Judas, wouldn't it need one to Peter? Of course.

Acts 2:14 - Peter is first to speak for the apostles after the Holy Spirit descended upon them at Pentecost. Peter is the first to preach the Gospel.

Acts 2:38 - Peter gives first preaching in the early Church on repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Acts 3:1,3,4 - Peter is mentioned first as going to the Temple to pray.

Acts 3:6-7 - Peter works the first healing of the apostles.

Acts 3:12-26, 4:8-12 - Peter teaches the early Church the healing through Jesus and that there is no salvation other than Christ.

Acts 5:3 - Peter declares the first anathema of Ananias and Sapphira which is ratified by God, and brings about their death. Peter exercises his binding authority.

Acts 5:15 - Peter's shadow has healing power. No other apostle is said to have this power.

Acts 8:14 - Peter is mentioned first in conferring the sacrament of confirmation.

Acts 8:20-23 - Peter casts judgment on Simon's quest for gaining authority through the laying on of hands. Peter exercises his binding and loosing authority.

Acts 9:32-34 - Peter is mentioned first among the apostles and works the healing of Aeneas.

Acts 9:38-40 - Peter is mentioned first among the apostles and raises Tabitha from the dead.

Acts 10:5 - Cornelius is told by an angel to call upon Peter. Angels are messengers of God. Peter was granted this divine vision.

Acts 10:34-48, 11:1-18 - Peter is first to teach about salvation for all (Jews and Gentiles).

Acts 12:5 - this verse implies that the "whole Church" offered "earnest prayers" for Peter, their leader, during his imprisonment.

Acts 12:6-11 - Peter is freed from jail by an angel. He is the first object of divine intervention in the early Church.

Acts 15:7-12 - Peter resolves the first doctrinal issue on circumcision at the Church's first council at Jerusalem, and no one questions him. After Peter the Papa spoke, all were kept silent.

Acts 15:12 - only after Peter (the Pope) speaks do Paul and Barnabas (bishops) speak in support of Peter's definitive teaching.

Acts 15:13-14 - then James speaks to further acknowledge Peter's definitive teaching. "Simeon (Peter) has related how God first visited..."
youtube

AOL

#445512 May 27, 2013

100% PROOF Pope Francis is ANTICHRIST_______

Location hidden

#445513 May 27, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>or a blast of wind
And...just like God...you can't see neither...so in your world, since there is no God cause you can't see Him,there is mo wind and no air!!!!!
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#445514 May 27, 2013
WHY DON'T YOU READ YOUR BIBLE
WHY DO YOU SELFISHLY LIMIT THE POWER OF GOD JUST
TO ONE MAN?
AND CLAIM HE IS GOD ONLY REPRESENTATIVE ON EARTH..
I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT...
IF YOU FOLLOWED THE TRUTH OF THE BIBLE...YOUR
CHURCH WOULD PROVE IT SELF TO BE THE FARCE THAT IT REALLY IS.
I,we as Catholics DO READ THE BIBLE (every day). We hear it, proclaim it, comprehend it, absorb it, believe it "ONLY the TRUE INTERPRETATION" and we live it (each and every day at daily Mass.
The power of God is not limited to just one man. It has been given, manifested and directed to every one. CLEARLY in Matthew 16 Jesus is appointing Peter as His "earthly representative" to lead His One (and only one) True (Universal)Catholic Church). Peter has been given this authority by JESUS HIMSELF to guide and direct His Church until (Jesus Himself) returns for the second time, in glory!! "To you Peter, I give the keys to the kingdom of heaven........etc......Matthew s gospel demonstrates that Jesus has given Peter a divine appointment, to be the chief shepherd of the Church after Christ was no longer with them, Jesus only speaks about His death after appointing Peter the Chief Shepherd. When Jesus give Peter the keys to the kingdom, Jesus is establishing Peter as the authority over His Church and also facilitates apostolic succession to the chair. See Isaiah 22:15, 19-33 which is the only other place where "keys" as used to describe dynasic succession to the Davidic Kingdom, which Jesus came to fulfill in his Holy Catholic Church. Catholics have the greatest love for Scripture as we hear, read and proclaim it daily. The Bible directs us to an authority outside of itself to insure that it is properly interpret and not abused with false, heretical and contradicting interpetations that continue to divide the body of Christ--that Paul speaks of in I Cor 1:10. That is why Paul "further confirms" the Church that Jesus established, formed and initiated, in I Timothy 3:15 when calls "The CHURCH (not the bible alone) as the pillar,pinnacle and foundation of the TRUTH.
rosesz

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#445515 May 27, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Bad typo on my part. I meant *own* Christianity, not one Christianity.
I like this forum ..learned a lot used to post Here a few years ago.

Would you believe that there is such confusion with our division that one person asked me in an email about Holy Communion..did it taste like meat and blood. She was serious..And confused on it.

We need imo to follow John Paul's lead on this. NON CATHOLIC Christians know our Saviour if He is their heart and soul.
Salvation is to ALL those who believe His death and Resurrection settled it all.

Do we have unadorned crosses. Theirs had the image of Christ.

Do you honestly think He cares except in loving all of our praise.

How can Both camps be so exclusive. It's human foolishness imo.

(JUST a tidbit to take this to the extreme. In Darfur not only are the Arab Muslims ..the horrid regime running things who this country appeased despite lip service ..in order to make nice with other countries who support that tyrant..those Arab Muslims kill non Arab Muslims..now that is division among people who should agree if this was really a HOLY WAR) imo
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445516 May 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not.
I was showing by physical example the workings of the ALL. How it all works together as a comprised unit from the very top to the very minute bottom, and how we are beginning to understand the big picture. Then I tried to explain the spiritual and essence connection, and the teachings of Jesus to that effect. The "belly and the heart" are ancient metaphors, and also used in the teachings of the bible.
I guess you just can't understand.
If or when you do, you will know what Jesus was talking about. Your church doesn't seem to have done a very good job of teaching you the most important lessons.
I tried.
Black Thunder 42:

I do understand what you are saying. I just don't know how real it is, what you are describing.

When I worked, in part,I had to deal with cryogenic temps, and the problem of hydrogen diffusion across membranes. We had to battle a "constant" unknown factor on the quantum level with hydrogen.

I got your metaphors as well.

I see you are trying to put it all together.

Localized and non-localized phenomena, synchronicity, paranormal experiences. And of course it is a sort of New Age Christianity.

There are definite points of convergence, some parallels, some harmony, but the whole picture is different in the New Age Movement. It throws out those last touches of white and black on the canvas that makes the painting a masterpiece.
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445517 May 27, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
It's folly to believe that people know the thoughts of a supposed creator ... when they don't even know if the creator exists.
But, so arrogant ARE the right-fighters ... they keep on keeping on.
June VanDerMark:

In reasoning, one always starts with an assumption/presumption.

With faith, one starts with the unseen.

That is why a reasoned faith is important, and blind faith leads one to the ditch.
Human Being

Basile, LA

#445518 May 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand what you are saying about "concept".
What I am stating is that the very writing of genesis is incorrect by it's own words...and the concept of "fallen" angels shows that "heaven" is also corrupt in it's essence.
It was written by men who had no concept of "perfection", nor of the essence of creation. It is misleading and erroneous.
Black Thunder 42:

Putting new data in, may refine, or distort results. It goes to bias.

Modern views of the world, to me, are very sloppy. Observers think they view without prejudice, when that is not the case. So views get more extreme with time.

Scientists have only theories, they support, because of prejudice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pinoys in NY prepare for Calungsod's sainthood (Aug '12) 2 hr untilthelighttak ... 209
News Pope Holds Meeting to Encourage Adoption of U.N... 2 hr untilthelighttak ... 7
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 2 hr untilthelighttak ... 84,125
News Pope on free speech: What about turning the oth... 12 hr KristoFMYsagun 11
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Sat Married in 9,204
News Cuban bishop says news of papal visit brings 'h... Fri the AWSOME Cowboy 1
News Woman excommunicated from Catholic Church calls... Thu untilthelighttak ... 2
More from around the web