Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 603433 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442825 May 19, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
This was great, thanks!! Lots of fun!
You're welcome! I like that one a lot too.

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442826 May 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you see how God gave us His Word and that alone is sufficient?
I see it. When are you going to start stoning people to death?

:)
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442827 May 19, 2013
More on the Protestant idea of Communion Marge:

"Although ignorant and wicked men receive the outward elements in this sacrament; yet, they receive not the thing signified thereby; but, by their unworthy coming thereunto, are guilty of the body and blood of the Lord, to their own damnation. Wherefore, all ignorant and ungodly persons, as they are unfit to enjoy communion with Him, so are they unworthy of the Lord's table; and cannot, without great sin against Christ, while they remain such, partake of these holy mysteries, or be admitted thereunto." - Westminster Confession of Faith, "Of the Lord Supper," Chapter 29:8, 1647, Original Edition.

"... lay people who refuse to learn (the catechism—ed.) should not be admitted to the Sacrament, and fathers must insist that children learn to recite these basics" - Martin Luther, Oxford Encyclopedia of the Reformation, Vol. 1, p. 276.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442828 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you on another thread that Buddhists are as atheistic as you and gave you a link proving that. Enough said sweetheart.
Buddhism came on the scene long before Christianity, so don't be pushing others our of the heavenly realm. It's not nice to be so greedy.

truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442829 May 19, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....Marge, you can't agree on what time of day it is and everybody knows it. Stop lying.
Toss out once saved always saved among them and see what happens.
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#442830 May 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy you really don't like Peter do you? Do you consider his writings inspired; are Peters writings Biblical?
What say the Deacon oldjg, of some church started by some dude, in Illinois, USA??
Almost all of the references below can be verified in Edward Giles Documents Illustrating Papal Authority AD 96-454 (London: SPCK, 1952 reprinted by Hyperion Press, 1979) or Jesus, Peter, and the Keys: A Scriptural Handbook on the Papacy edited by Scott Butler, Norm Dahlgren, David Hess (Queenship, 1996). Mark is responding to a critic (hereafter, "our critic") on the early Papacy which will be quoted in smaller font.
by Mark Bonocore

The author of an anti-Papal essay starts off by asserting:
<< Of immense importance to the question of leadership of the church today is the issue of the Apostle Peter and doctrine of apostolic succession. It has already been demonstrated that Peter was not the first bishop of the first church. >>

Has it now? Well, certainly not according to the witness of our ancient Christian forefathers:
(1) Tertullian (c. AD 197) speaks of Peter apart from Paul as ordaining Clement as his episcopal successor (De Praescrip Haer 32).
(2) The Poem Against Marcion (c. 200 AD) states how "Peter bad Linus to take his place and sit on the chair whereon he himself had sat" (III, 80). The word "chair" (cathedra) in ecclesiastical language always means one's episcopal throne (i.e. the bishop's chair).
(3) Caius of Rome (214 AD) calls Pope Victor the thirteenth bishop of Rome after Peter (Euseb HE V, 28).
(4) Hippolytus (225 AD) counts Peter as the first Bishop of Rome (Dict Christian Biog I, 577).
(5) Cyprian (in 250) speaks of Rome as "the place of Peter" (Ep ad Anton), and as "the Chair of Peter" (Ep ad Pope Cornelius).
(6) Firmilian (257) speaks of Pope Stephen's claim to the "succession of Peter" and to the "Chair of Peter" (Ep ad Cyprian).
(7) Eusebius (314) says that Peter was "the bishop of Rome for twenty-five years" (Chron an 44), and calls Linus "first after Peter to obtain the episcopate" (Chron an 66). He also says that Victor was "the thirteenth bishop of Rome after Peter" (HE III, 4).
(8) The Council of Sardica "honors the memory of the Apostle Peter" in granting Pope Julius I the right to judge cases involving other episcopal sees under imperial Roman law (Sardica Canon IV, and Ep ad Pope Julius).
(9) Athanasius (340's) calls Rome the "Apostolic Throne" -- a reference to the Apostle Peter as the first bishop to occupy that throne (Hist Arian ad Monarch 35).
(10) Optatus (370) says that the episcopal chair of Rome was first established by Peter, "in which chair sat Peter himself." He also says how "Peter first filled the pre-eminent chair," which "is the first of the marks of the Church." (Schism Donat II, 2 and II, 3).
(11) Pope Damasus (370) speaks of the "Apostolic chair" in which "the holy Apostle sitting, taught his successors how to guide the helm of the Church" (Ep ix ad Synod, Orient ap Theodoret V, 10). Damasus also states how "The first See is that of Peter the Apostle, that of the Roman church" and says how Rome received primacy not by the conciliar decisions of the other churches, but from the evangelic voice of the Lord, when He says, "Thou art Peter..." (Decree of Damasus 382).
( http://www.philvaz.com/apologetics/a87.htm

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#442831 May 19, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Despite his house arrest Galileo publishes Discorsi e dimostrazioni mathematiche intorno a due nuove scienze attenenti alla meccanica (Dialogue Concerning Two New Sciences, a work about the principles of mechanics.
Galileo makes the discovery, months before he went completely blind, that the moon makes monthly wobbles on its axis, called liberations.
Do the Math Genius on when he was put under house arrest and publishing and finding of these discoveries. Yep he was eating bread and water and in solitary confinement. Geesh. Mocking the Pope who had given him a way to not upset his protractors. Holding a theory and mocking the hand that feeds you not a good idea. Sorry but Galileo is far from the mark of proving science was stifled or the pitiful argument that science flourished after Luther. lol
It appears YOU need to revisit when the "solar" theory was made. I already stated that.
Now you want to move the goalpost to "lunar" motion!

You are dancing in a contest you WILL NOT win.
History is quite accurate on these points, and all the apologetics you want to spew will not change that.
Like I said, all you can do now is attempt to move the goalposts, obfuscate, or outright lie...and even then I have proved you wrong with historical fact time and again.

Originally, the question was- exactly when and where did the catholic church(papacy) contribute to Galileo's research.
All you have done is dance around the entire question by deflection and obfuscation of the intended query...You know why, and so do I. You have absolutely no proof of your lie to begin with... and it was pure rhetoric and baseless rhetoric.

Your effort to conceal the fact that you are lying has cost you even more embarrassment attempting to cover the original lie.

I already warned you that you were going to go down this path, but your arrogance in ignorance has caused you to make a complete fool of yourself.

You are shooting yourself in the foot...your credibility is sinking like the Titanic...by your own arrogance, and your inability to even answer the actual query.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442832 May 19, 2013
Whether people of religion go up or down after death is comparable to playing "pop goes the weasel."

With all those hells, it's going to be tough to avoid all of them and try to climb a ladder that might not exist.

truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442833 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
What have you got against death? It is god's will that we all die, isn't it?
It says right in your bible that we should stone each other to death. Now that is god's will, so I suggest you stop complaining.
June, you are so woefully ignorant of Sacred Scripture. It was not God's original plan for us to die, but punishment exacted upon us for not trusting God and listening to Satan.

That's why I don't listen to you. You are the voice of the underworld trying to drag souls down to Hell with you.

I have a Savior that has delivered me from eternal death and you have a one way ticket to Hell for listening to the number one demon.

I suggest you trade that in for a ticket to Paradise.
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442834 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I see it. When are you going to start stoning people to death?
We leave that to the Muslims which you so happily defend.
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442835 May 19, 2013
"Faith is higher than reason. Reason is useless.... unless you believe." St. Francis of Assisi
marge

Ames, IA

#442836 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not true. Baptists have closed Communion and will only give it to the members of their church.
Closed Communion:
The Baptist Position Stated and Defended
http://www.baptistpillar.com/article_621.html
I'm talking about if just us, the born-agains that post here got together, we could partake in communion together.

We already know as far as each others words go who has been Saved. And for sure believe the same about the Last Supper.

I would even give Preston a great big hug!:)
marge

Ames, IA

#442837 May 19, 2013
I have really big Love for my brothers and sisters in Jesus!
Dust Storm

Pennock, MN

#442838 May 19, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
lol....Marge, you can't agree on what time of day it is and everybody knows it. Stop lying.
Should we have grapejuice or wine? Lunch must be quite a great controversy unless they have the munchies like Marge. Its in the bible. Of course everyone is still sleeping right Marge? You said you smoked weed Marge then you didnt. Then it was was for medical purposes. Medical weed in Iowa? Then you said you didnt smoke it then you did. Then you were buying it illegally and distributing to friends? Yeah, Marge the only thing that comes out of your mouth is lies. That is one thing you share with your brothers and sisters. LTM couldnt go a day without telling a lie. You really ought to try to seek some truth for a change. We know its hard for you.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442839 May 19, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
Whether people of religion go up or down after death is comparable to playing "pop goes the weasel."
With all those hells, it's going to be tough to avoid all of them and try to climb a ladder that might not exist.
I find it interesting that "Hell" is the Pagan Teutonic "abode of the Dead". In the Greek of the NT "Tartarus and Hades" are the Pagan Greek 'abodes of the dead'. The NT never uses "Sheol" the Hebrew 'Abode of the Dead'. Further, "Gehenna" is not a place of torture at all. None of these are anything like the Christian invention of "Hell" which is based more on Dante and Milton than anything in the Bible.

Must be based on "Tradition" LOL
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442840 May 19, 2013
I depart for the evening with this simple but powerful quote from a Catholic Saint:

""Apart from the cross, there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven."
-St. Rose of Lima

Peace to all in Christ!
truthprevails

Duluth, GA

#442841 May 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm talking about if just us, the born-agains that post here got together, we could partake in communion together.
We already know as far as each others words go who has been Saved. And for sure believe the same about the Last Supper.
I would even give Preston a great big hug!:)
Marge, the Baptists consider themselves born agains as well as you do, but they would not give you Communion unless you were a member of their church.

Anyways.. goodnight. I must get some rest to go to work in the morning. Sleep well and peace to all who love the Lord.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#442842 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because Satan is in control of you!
You are so quick to point out atrocities of Christians, but you never look in the mirror do you thou hypocrite???
Being that I have never killed anyone, harmed a soul in my life, I am clear to tell you that YOU are in danger in Hell fire.
You are trying to lead others into the pit of Hell with you. Shame, shame, shame and double shame be upon you!
I appropriate your atrocities equally. YOU do not. Who is the "hypocrite here?
So I have killed. Do you "know the circumstance" NO Who the hell are you to set yourself as the "judge" or the accuser. THAT is NOT your place, but you have already usurped both your satan and your god.

Maybe you should try walking in the shoes of those you so easily accuse, and see how you fare in the process.
I may have very well experienced more hell than you ever will, at least until you die.
You are contemptuous by your own words.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#442843 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
I depart for the evening with this simple but powerful quote from a Catholic Saint:
""Apart from the cross, there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven."
-St. Rose of Lima
Peace to all in Christ!
Amen! Beautiful!

St. Rose of Lima, pray for us.
marge

Ames, IA

#442844 May 19, 2013
Dust Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Should we have grapejuice or wine? Lunch must be quite a great controversy unless they have the munchies like Marge. Its in the bible. Of course everyone is still sleeping right Marge? You said you smoked weed Marge then you didnt. Then it was was for medical purposes. Medical weed in Iowa? Then you said you didnt smoke it then you did. Then you were buying it illegally and distributing to friends? Yeah, Marge the only thing that comes out of your mouth is lies. That is one thing you share with your brothers and sisters. LTM couldnt go a day without telling a lie. You really ought to try to seek some truth for a change. We know its hard for you.
We would have grapejuice!

Will see if one of them disagrees with me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 22 min barry 84,421
News Pope eases church rule on abortion forgiveness 48 min Redeemed 13
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Mon 3Way4me 9,681
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory Aug 30 Paul Porter1 421
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 26 Belle Sexton 3
News Ahead of pope's visit to US, some friction over... Aug 25 Abrahamanic Relig... 1
News Pope Benedict is living out old age calmly (Aug '08) Aug 24 The Oracle 73
More from around the web