Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646788 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Clay

Garden City, MI

#442802 May 19, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Iraeneus: "The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric..... To this Clement there succeeded Evaristus. Alexander followed Evaristus; then, sixth from the apostles, Sixtus was appointed; after him, Telephorus, who was gloriously martyred; then Hyginus; after him, Pius; then after him, Anicetus. Sorer having succeeded Anicetus, Eleutherius does now, in the twelfth place from the apostles, hold the inheritance of the episcopate. In this order, and by this succession, the ecclesiastical tradition from the apostles, and the preaching of the truth, have come down to us. And this is most abundant proof that there is one and the same vivifying faith, which has been preserved in the Church from the apostles until now, and handed down in truth.(SOURCE: Iraeneus Against Heresies, Volume I, Book III, Para 3)
Note that Iraeneus clearly states that Linus was first bishop of Rome - not Peter. Iraeneus then gives us the identity of the first twelve Bishops of Rome:
1. Linus
2. Anacletus
3. Clement
4. Evaristus
5. Alexander
6. Sixtus
7. Ignatius (Telephorus)
8. Huginus
9. Pius
10. Anicetus
11. Sorer
12. Eleutherius
Notice that Peter's name is not found in the above list. Notice also that according to Iraeneus, it was Paul, not Peter, who appointed Linus the first bishop of Rome. So much for early papal authority.
Boy you really don't like Peter do you? Do you consider his writings inspired; are Peters writings Biblical?
What say the Deacon oldjg, of some church started by some dude, in Illinois, USA??
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#442803 May 19, 2013
Paul mentions many people in Rome but NEVER mentions Peter. NEVER! Why? BECAUSE PETER NEVER WAS IN ROME! NEVER!

Romans 16

1 I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant a of the church at Cenchreae, 2 that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well.

3 Greet Prisca and Aquila, my fellow workers in Christ Jesus, 4 who risked their necks for my life, to whom not only I give thanks but all the churches of the Gentiles give thanks as well. 5 Greet also the church in their house. Greet my beloved Epaenetus, who was the first convert[b] to Christ in Asia. 6 Greet Mary, who has worked hard for you. 7 Greet Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen and my fellow prisoners. They are well known to the apostles, and they were in Christ before me. 8 Greet Ampliatus, my beloved in the Lord. 9 Greet Urbanus, our fellow worker in Christ, and my beloved Stachys. 10 Greet Apelles, who is approved in Christ. Greet those who belong to the family of Aristobulus. 11 Greet my kinsman Herodion. Greet those in the Lord who belong to the family of Narcissus. 12 Greet those workers in the Lord, Tryphaena and Tryphosa. Greet the beloved Persis, who has worked hard in the Lord. 13 Greet Rufus, chosen in the Lord; also his mother, who has been a mother to me as well. 14 Greet Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermes, Patrobas, Hermas, and the brothers[e] who are with them. 15 Greet Philologus, Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them. 16 Greet one another with a holy kiss. All the churches of Christ greet you.

17 I appeal to you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause divisions and create obstacles contrary to the doctrine that you have been taught; avoid them. 18 For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites,[f] and by smooth talk and flattery they deceive the hearts of the naive. 19 For your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you, but I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil. 20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

21 Timothy, my fellow worker, greets you; so do Lucius and Jason and Sosipater, my kinsmen.

22 I Tertius, who wrote this letter, greet you in the Lord.

23 Gaius, who is host to me and to the whole church, greets you. Erastus, the city treasurer, and our brother Quartus, greet you.

25 Now to him who is able to strengthen you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery that was kept secret for long ages 26 but has now been disclosed and through the prophetic writings has been made known to all nations, according to the command of the eternal God, to bring about the obedience of faith— 27 to the only wise God be glory forevermore through Jesus Christ! Amen.
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442804 May 19, 2013

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#442805 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus Christ is still in control whether you heathens believe it or not!
Frankly, the atheists and heathens of this world have caused more chaos and evil than any entity.
The truth prevails:
Atheist/Communist Murders through the 17th-20th Centuries
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =nhCyDG1CsDIXX
It doesn't look like he is in control at all to me, as you have just shown...and let us not forget the atrocities of your very own institution....which you would rather deny and/or justify.
That is, in and of itself, "hypocrisy".
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442806 May 19, 2013
Protestant South Becoming a New Catholic Stronghold

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/protesta...
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442807 May 19, 2013
Which Church Father Are You?

Fun quiz for Catholics only!

http://www.fathersofthechurch.com/2007/04/03/...
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442808 May 19, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
It doesn't look like he is in control at all to me, as you have just shown...and let us not forget the atrocities of your very own institution....which you would rather deny and/or justify.
That is, in and of itself, "hypocrisy".
That's because Satan is in control of you!

You are so quick to point out atrocities of Christians, but you never look in the mirror do you thou hypocrite???

Being that I have never killed anyone, harmed a soul in my life, I am clear to tell you that YOU are in danger in Hell fire.

You are trying to lead others into the pit of Hell with you. Shame, shame, shame and double shame be upon you!
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442809 May 19, 2013
atheism is dead because of a lack of truth and knowledge.

Location hidden

#442810 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
To the atheist trolls:
"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them."
If the OT is an example of this, you have already lost that argument.
Who could possibly want a god above them and dictating to them by order and example such atrocity and reprehensible behavior- far surpassing their wildest imagination of evil? Further compound that with the behavior of the wonderful "Universal [catholic] Church" in the many Crusades and inquisitions, and then it's inclusion in the atrocities of the 3rd Reich.
Such an exemplary example of Jesus teachings! >>spits on ground<<

Location hidden

#442811 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
Hey, all you atheists, doesn't look too good for you:
"But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.” Our Lord and our God, Jesus Christ
Thank you for you most invaluable input satan!
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442812 May 19, 2013
[Even to non-believers, the argument that religion is a damaging parasite seems implausible. In their everyday lives people see that atheism does not explain the fundamental questions and a godless world doesn’t make us happier or even more questioning. The popularity of the Sunday Assembly, an “atheist church” in Islington, or Alain de Botton’s “10 commandments for atheists”, reflect the growing belief in secular Britain that religion is not just a beneficial thing but perhaps an essential one. Perhaps that is why New Atheism is as dead as Nietzsche.]

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/commentandblo...
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442813 May 19, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the OT is an example of this, you have already lost that argument.
Who could possibly want a god above them and dictating to them by order and example such atrocity and reprehensible behavior- far surpassing their wildest imagination of evil? Further compound that with the behavior of the wonderful "Universal [catholic] Church" in the many Crusades and inquisitions, and then it's inclusion in the atrocities of the 3rd Reich.
Such an exemplary example of Jesus teachings! >>spits on ground<<
What would you know of Jesus' teachings since you are a God denying atheist? What would you know of God?

You are nothing more than an ignorant tool of Satan trying to deceive the world as you did in the beginning:

"Surely you will not die!!"

Anyone who listens to your voice, listens to the lies of Satan!

Jesus said that His sheep listen to His voice and will not be fooled by the wiles of the wolf seeking to scatter the sheep!
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442814 May 19, 2013
Atheism belongs in the cult of death, or as we Catholics say, "The culture of death."

The culture of death includes abortion, euthanasia, suicide and atheism. Yes, atheism. Atheism seeks to destroy your soul by convincing you there is no God.

Problem is, they surely haven't convinced themselves lest they wouldn't be arguing with Christians that there is no God.
marge

Leesburg, GA

#442815 May 19, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I looked at both sides before I committed to Catholicism.
I see a colossal doctrinal mess throughout Protestantism. They all teach different things. I can plainly see the chaos.
Every single sect of yours was clearly started by some guy and not Jesus Christ. The Church Jesus started is the Catholic Church. I'm going all in with them because I have actual faith in Christ.(not to mention, you guys fail miserably trying to discredit Catholicism and you literally need to lie in order to try it. That's a fact LTM. Fact!)
Clay, you lie in fact, all us born-agains that post agree on the most important Christian principles.

We could go to church together and partake in communion together.

Didn't you see how God gave us His Word and that alone is sufficient?
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#442816 May 19, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Iraeneus: "The blessed apostles, then, having founded and built up the Church, committed into the hands of Linus the office of the episcopate. Of this Linus, Paul makes mention in the Epistles to Timothy. To him succeeded Anacletus; and after him, in the third place from the apostles, Clement was allotted the bishopric..... To this Clement there succeeded Evaristus. Alexander followed Evaristus; then, sixth from the apostles, Sixtus was appointed; after him, Telephorus, who was gloriously martyred; then Hyginus; after him, Pius; then after him, Anicetus. Sorer having succeeded Anicetus, Eleutherius does now, in the twelfth place from the apostles, hold the inheritance of the episcopate. In this order, and by this succession, the ecclesiastical tradition from the apostles, and the preaching of the truth, have come down to us. And this is most abundant proof that there is one and the same vivifying faith, which has been preserved in the Church from the apostles until now, and handed down in truth.(SOURCE: Iraeneus Against Heresies, Volume I, Book III, Para 3)
Note that Iraeneus clearly states that Linus was first bishop of Rome - not Peter. Iraeneus then gives us the identity of the first twelve Bishops of Rome:
1. Linus
2. Anacletus
3. Clement
4. Evaristus
5. Alexander
6. Sixtus
7. Ignatius (Telephorus)
8. Huginus
9. Pius
10. Anicetus
11. Sorer
12. Eleutherius
Notice that Peter's name is not found in the above list. Notice also that according to Iraeneus, it was Paul, not Peter, who appointed Linus the first bishop of Rome. So much for early papal authority.
Old JG: Your anti-catholic information is as "bogus and distorted" as always, which is about all we can expect from heretics like you!!!

St Peter-the first Bishop (Pope) of Rome
The Apostle St. Peter was the first Bishop of Rome, and thus the first Pope of the Catholic Church. Peter was chosen to become a Vicar of Christ by Jesus with Jesus as the Head of the Catholic church.
There are many references to this in the Bible. Just a few examples would include:
- "And I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church" (Matt. 16:18).(Note: the word for Peter and Rock is the same.)(Christ was acknowledging Peter's recognition of Christ and upon this recognition would Christ build his church. Christ did not appoint Peter as his successor rather he sent the 12 apostles to teach the people and build the Church.)
- Jesus entrusted Peter with his flock, making him too a Good Shepherd (John 21:15-17).
- After his conversion Paul went to see Peter, the chief apostle (Gal. 1:18).
Also, before Peter went on to establish the Roman church (the Catholic Church), he was the Patriarch of Antioch.
Many denominations, not just Catholic, recognize that indeed Peter was the first Pope.*
13 ¶ When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say aye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442817 May 19, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. That is what it does.
Now you may understand why I almost NEVER say "GOD"...but rather the ALL. You words are always misconstrued to mean a "limited to human attribute deity".
Seems no matter what word I use, it gets misconstrued. LOL

I used to use Tao. The Taoist religion screwed that up. LOL

Since: Sep 09

Terrace, Canada

#442818 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
And Peter said to them,“Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
I suggest you choose after you die, one of the Buddhist hells. There, if you are "lucky" they will give you the choice of hot OR cold hell.

Now that is a bargain you just don't get every day.

:)
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442819 May 19, 2013
marge wrote:
<quoted text>
Clay, you lie in fact, all us born-agains that post agree on the most important Christian principles.
We could go to church together and partake in communion together.
Didn't you see how God gave us His Word and that alone is sufficient?
That is not true. Baptists have closed Communion and will only give it to the members of their church.

Closed Communion:
The Baptist Position Stated and Defended

http://www.baptistpillar.com/article_621.html
Regina

Lakewood, NJ

#442820 May 19, 2013
truthprevails wrote:
Which Church Father Are You?
Fun quiz for Catholics only!
http://www.fathersofthechurch.com/2007/04/03/...
This was great, thanks!! Lots of fun!
truthprevails

Alpharetta, GA

#442821 May 19, 2013
Marge, how about this factoid?

"For everyone to be admitted to the Lord’s Supper, without distinction or selection, is a sign of contempt that the Lord cannot endure. The Lord himself distributed the supper to his disciples only. Therefore anyone not instructed in the doctrine of the gospel ought not to approach what the Lord has instituted. No one should be distressed when his Christianity is examined even down to the finest point when he is to be admitted to the Lord’s Supper. It should be established as part of the total state and system of discipline that ought to flourish in the church that those who are judged unworthy should not be admitted." - John Calvin, "Letter on Various Subjects" in the book Calvin’s Ecclesiastical Advice."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from ga... 21 hr sharona 5
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Tue Mr Sir 10,166
News Nation-Now 57 mins ago 10:35 a.m.Pope Francis s... Jun 27 Rev Cash Dollar 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Jun 20 tine 673
News Milwaukee Rising: Looking for the city's most u... Jun 20 Tom 2
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Jun 1 Michael 7
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) May '16 Gods r Delusions ... 4
More from around the web