Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 590175 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#442230 May 18, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
There's not enough room to paste the rest here. It's obvious you don't know as much about Christianity as you think you do. Anthony was correct in suggesting you read the Early Church Fathers, for a start.JETHRO:READING THIS WILL MISLEAD HIM SINCE THERE IS NOTHING HOLY ABOUT THESE MEN.Origen Adamantius and Tertullian,were deemed heretics.they were influential Christian theologians, some of whom were eminent teachers and great bishops. The term is used of writers or teachers of the Church, not necessarily "saints", and not necessarily ordained.if they were none of the above how can their writings/teachings be devine/holy?
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#442231 May 18, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. I will provide you with a very personal example.
My wife, sister, and two small children were threatened with death by a gang. I was in another state at the time. My wife called me about the situation and said if I returned that they would kill me and them also. I came back to my home immediately. The gang tried to decapitate me with a chain when entering my drive, but I was just a little smarter than that. My bike was messed but I was prime.
I Destroyed 15 bad ass assholes(carrying knives guns and pipes) that night with nothing but two hands and the love for my people.
Did I worry if I was gonna die?---HELL NO!
AND THE COPS HAD THE NERVE TA WANT ME TA PAY FOR THE DAMAGE!
THAT'S LOVE!
Why didn't you just call the police in the first place??
If I believe your story

Since: Nov 08

usa

#442232 May 18, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
Is God a fair God? Believe it or not there are imbecilic Christians that actually believe that all those poor souls that died without ever even hearing the word of God at all in their lives,hence giving them the chance to after hearing the word to accept it or reject it, that God is gonna deposit their souls in this imaginary burning hell to be tormented for all eternity.
Is that fair of Him? You Christians are gonna have to apologize to God for all the lies you teach in His name and blame those lies on God. All because you can't """"" RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD OF TRUTH"""". Most Christians do not understand that there is gonna be a millenium, a thousand year time of teaching when Christ returns to establish His kingdom here on earth. All those souls that died having never heard Gods word and being held in the great gulf that separates the righteous from the lost will be resurrected and given a chance to hear Gods word andgiven a chance to acceot it or reject. Then the great white judgement will come and they will be judged according to their works,not according to their faith. Faith will no longer play a role because they will have seen God and will see that He exists therefore it will not ,longer be of faith but of works.
is there a god?? simple yes or no,then state your undeniable proof that can be corroborated.
truth

Perth, Australia

#442233 May 18, 2013
how you can be liar
i don't think so you are liar

then
who is man
who
i sit on bad my son
he told me i am going help you
yes it is my son help me
healing proces
no my son not giving critic to me
he is good boy
no he not going always talk as i talk
what is this i say
who
that man in light
he asked where
upon me just now..in white light
my son nice speak
yee
i say;'must be one of them as master mind'
my son smile
oh is that funny discover your masters
its not my masters=they are masters of themself not mine
i mean modern masters how i call that on ordinary way
you will say not right words of my expression
truth

Perth, Australia

#442234 May 18, 2013
who died
why police been upon my house
i don't asked who is been in trouble
but i tray tell you
who left message to me
about my mother
who do that to my mother
why they showing to me my mother

why they going tell my son

who is that girl who is that woman
sick or died

which message they want tell me
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#442235 May 18, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>he's not there,that is What is stopping God from beaming us up right now into His holy habitation.
I agree. So far in all of human history, no god has seen fit to leave us with physical or provable evidence. So there's conflict, like xians on this board.

Instead of arguing, here's a postive most ignore: I read the Bible recently and find 189 ways to be saved.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/save...

#189... "Love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God." -- 1 John 4:7

According to a true STUDY of the Bible, it seems many are saved, few are rejected.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#442236 May 18, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I have, you just refuse to accept it.
"to know yourself is to know the kingdom of God."
Once you get to this level of understanding Jesus, all others become very clear.
But since you reject this teaching by Jesus, it seems you will never reach that pinnacle of success.
Like I said, bummer for you.
I wonder what JohnfmNJ is doing now-a-days?
Again, deflecting.

I'll assume the point on this one.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#442237 May 18, 2013
Regina wrote:
Origen
"For we do not hold that which the heretics imagine: that some part of the being of God was converted into the Son, or that the Son was procreated by the Father from non-existent substances, that is, from a being outside himself, so that there was a time when he [the Son] did not exist" (The Fundamental Doctrines 4:4:1 [A.D. 225]).
"No, rejecting every suggestion of corporeality, we hold that the Word and the Wisdom was begotten out of the invisible and incorporeal God, without anything corporal being acted upon ... the expression which we employ, however that there was never a time when he did not exist is to be taken with a certain allowance. For these very words ‘when’ and ‘never’ are terms of temporal significance, while whatever is said of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, is to be understood as transcending all time, all ages" (ibid.).
"For it is the Trinity alone which exceeds every sense in which not only temporal but even eternal may be understood. It is all other things, indeed, which are outside the Trinity, which are to be measured by time and ages" (ibid.).
Hippolytus
"The Word alone of this God is from God himself, wherefore also the Word is God, being the being of God. Now the world was made from nothing, wherefore it is not God" (Refutation of All Heresies 10:29 [A.D. 228]).
Novatian
"For Scripture as much announces Christ as also God, as it announces God himself as man. It has as much described Jesus Christ to be man, as moreover it has also described Christ the Lord to be God. Because it does not set forth him to be the Son of God only, but also the son of man; nor does it only say, the son of man, but it has also been accustomed to speak of him as the Son of God. So that being of both, he is both, lest if he should be one only, he could not be the other. For as nature itself has prescribed that he must be believed to be a man who is of man, so the same nature prescribes also that he must be believed to be God who is of God.... Let them, therefore, who read that Jesus Christ the son of man is man, read also that this same Jesus is called also God and the Son of God" (Treatise on the Trinity 11 [A.D. 235]).
----------
There's more..........
Origen was a real Christian.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#442238 May 18, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>what your showing is catholic belief not world belief.can you back this with a non-catholic site?... Any Christian might be called on to seal with his blood his belief that there is but One God...gen.1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:JETHRO:who is god talking to?
Since the Bible, and the New Testament especially, presents God as a Trinity (three Persons but only one God), Genesis 1:26 and 3:22 can only represent a conversation within the Trinity. God the Father is having a "conversation" with God the Son and/or God the Holy Spirit. The Old Testament hints at the plurality of God, and the New Testament clarifies this plurality with the doctrine of the Trinity. Obviously, there is no way we can fully understand how this works – but God has given us enough information to know that He does exist in three Persons,- Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Clay

United States

#442239 May 18, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>yes i know,it's to bad,why can't they just sit quietly with their beliefs and wait to die and find out what they believed all those years was the truth or not,that is the only way people are going to know. after they die,which does not make sense,the only explanation for it, is it's the only way to keep the truth that a god does not exist.
You said:
"Why can't they just sit quietly with their beliefs"

That's like the poop telling the vomit he stinks; the pot calling the kettle black.

The most vocal evangelizing radicals today are not Christians. They are atheist. And they are everywhere spreading their belief of 'non-belief'.
hiya

Erie, PA

#442240 May 18, 2013
why does it matter?
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#442241 May 18, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you surprise, up till the time Jesus started to preach the Kingdom of God people thought He was just the son of a carpenter.
When He was born Mary and Joseph had to hid with Him people were trying to kill Him.
It was only after His baptism, and His 40 days and night in the wilderness, did His ministry start.
His brothers and sisters didn't even know He was the Messiah.
There was much written about Him before he was born, He fulfilled all prophecy about Him.
The 12 disciples , wrote much about Him in the N.T. as did Paul.
The is a book written about Him Its Called the Holy Bible.
You just choose to not believe what is written.
The Quran' believes in the virgin birth they honor Mary but to them Jesus is just a Prophet like Muhammad.
Thank you for that.

Yes, the Quran says Mary was a virgin. The books of Abraham have many similarities.
truth

Perth, Australia

#442242 May 18, 2013
see that numbers
its stay that people died on that numbers
check te.
please check up
id
its crime=stolen indetity from many many every chld every school every hospital every department on this world and much more

please understood
tel=evil game
please understood just 3 symbols and one diagram
its from 3x heaven
every soul every alive

you don't understood me
time to time as well time up many multiplay

i am going cry again

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#442243 May 18, 2013
who="Clay"
Then why is Catholicism strikingly similar to first century Christianity and yours is not?

First century Christianity is described in the Bible. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you shall be saved." "The Word is near you, even in your heart, and in your mouth (so) that, if you BELIEVE IN YOUR HEART that God raised Him from the dead, and CONFESS WITH YOUR MOUTH, you shall be saved."
This is what we believe.

On the other hand, you believe that you are saved by:
(1)Baptism (someone else does this when you are a child.
(2)Confirmation (someone else does this, too)
(3)The Eucharist (served to you by a man)
None of it is by your choice, but you believe that because those things were done TO you, you are saved if you continue to partake the Eucharist.

Your faith is in what someone else does to you...not in HIS SAVING BLOOD.
Clay

United States

#442244 May 18, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. So far in all of human history, no god has seen fit to leave us with physical or provable evidence. So there's conflict, like xians on this board.
Instead of arguing, here's a postive most ignore: I read the Bible recently and find 189 ways to be saved.
http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/save...
#189... "Love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God." -- 1 John 4:7
According to a true STUDY of the Bible, it seems many are saved, few are rejected.
Wikipedia.org/Wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun

Everytime He does, people quickly forget about it or dismiss it.
If I was God, I wouldn't physically manifest myself or verbally communicate with anyone here. You all don't want God or any god. He requires you to obey some rules. I can't imagine you or June following any rules dictated by a Judeo-Christian God.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#442245 May 18, 2013
Disciple wrote:
<quoted text>
Which is to promote plant growth not global warming.
Who's in denial? Who is imagining things?
I say you.
I live in an open democracy in the Information Age.

I don't need delusions. I don't believe they are healthy for me or society.

Question: should America stop relying on the collective wisdom of the National Academy of Sciences 100%, or only stop listening to our top scientific organizations when reality conflicts with the faith of delusional fundies?

Sorry, your God is imaginary and you are proof.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#442246 May 18, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wikipedia.org/Wiki/Miracle_of_the_Sun
Everytime He does, people quickly forget about it or dismiss it.
If I was God, I wouldn't physically manifest myself or verbally communicate with anyone here. You all don't want God or any god. He requires you to obey some rules. I can't imagine you or June following any rules dictated by a Judeo-Christian God.
Trust me. You don't want to start dissecting miracles that even your own church has played down in recent years.

What "rules" does he require me to obey? Are they the words of Jesus? Please post a list.
Clay

United States

#442247 May 18, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me. You don't want to start dissecting miracles that even your own church has played down in recent years.
What "rules" does he require me to obey? Are they the words of Jesus? Please post a list.
Miracles are God revealing Himself in a supernatural way.
No, I am not talking about an image of Jesus Christ in a cookie.
The Catholic Church exhausts all scientific reasoning BEFORE they officially declare something worthy of belief.

The main 'rule' I guess, is for you to believe in Him...

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442248 May 18, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry to hear you say this.
I've known people like you. Always holding in the bitterness of "something". In ways, I don't blame you, because we are human.
I don't even empathize with you, if it is of any interest to you.
But I do hope you enjoy your life. Better yet.....
I hope your day goes as well as the person you are.
Much better.
Please ... rather than a sermon, give me an example of what you believe explains the meaning of the word "love."

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#442249 May 18, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>UFO'S do indeed exist and Ezekiel described seeing one in the first chapter of Ezekiel. Read the following....
http://www.theseason.org/ezekiel/ezekiel1.htm
UFO'S are indeed used by the spiritual realm. Gods technology is far greater than the technology that man uses hense hense the UFO'S.
There is much I could say on this topic but it would only having you guys shaking your heads.
When you can prove scientifically that UFOs exist and god and angels etc., exist, I will believe you.

There is also much BEEN said on the topic that makes me shake my head ... but that doesn't mean that I know answers. And it doesn't mean that because you read some words somewhere that other people wrote the YOU know answers either.

Under hypnosis, people believe they saw many things that weren't real.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 2 hr Gee Tee 9,395
News Ireland's gay marriage vote was 'a defeat': Vat... 9 hr Rainbow Kid 4
Stealing the Keys to Heaven (Aug '09) Mon QUITTNER May 25 2015 6
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) May 23 pazuzu 61
News Pope Francis endorses Catholic climate petition May 23 Passing thru 8
News Philippines cardinal worked for peace with Muslims (Apr '14) May 22 KristoFMYsagun 10
News Francis expects short papacy May 21 ELIAS IBARRA 12
More from around the web