Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Jul 10, 2007 Read more: CBC News 583,150
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Read more
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#442108 May 17, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree.
This form of Gnosticism may not be revived in the sense you express, but there is a global change approaching, rather fast IMO, that will expose many changes to the religious world.
It will be welcomed and it will allow humanity to become part of this world as it is destined to be. Your religious views will eventually be the minority.
Religion cannot stop knowledge, nor can it stop those individuals who express this knowledge through various forms of technology (i.e. internet) and/or media and its many forms.
Spiritual knowledge will be realized by many. And I'm happy to say this Regina, it will eventually come to you as well.
*hug*
I'm rooting for ya!
Far greater minds than yours or mine have determined that such an event is most UNwelcome. It's that 'self' which you're so fond of promoting. What you're describing has been tried before, sans the technology......and lost, thankfully.

It's not all good, Nasl. That attitude, that "spiritual knowledge" or "gnosis" is responsible for the deaths of millions of infants every year, for countless suicides when it's discovered that gratifying every whim, sexual or otherwise, doesn't bring the expected fulfillment, the destruction of society because I'm okay, you're okay, and no one's going to tell me I can't and get away with it, it's my "right". What foot-stomping childishness.

I don't agree that Christian beliefs will be in the minority. The people speak but too quietly, at least for now. The politicians have their own 'spiritual enlightenment' going on, so they follow the secularist money trail. But there are too many bright young things coming up through the Christian ranks. And an abundance of highly educated 'elders' to mentor them. Things are going your way for the moment, so enjoy it. It won't last.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#442109 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
...and symbolism - a simple way to explain something when you have illiterate peeps, or when you are trying to teach something.
It was very commonplace then and before that time.
Using symbols as a way to communicate has been found all over the world in forms of petroglyphs and hieroglyphs.
Jesus used parables to communicate.
Christianity takes it to another extreme by twisting the tales to its liking, instead of earnestly seeking out the true meanings.
Exactly.
Written word(especially english) is the absolute worst form of communication ever in it's multiple determination of meaning and intent. Egyptian-Greek is next in line....oh and then you have the church who obfuscates everything until it is totally indiscernible...and you had better believe it or we'll torture.burn and kill you!

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#442110 May 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT is in no meaning of the word, empirical evidence.
I already gave it to you before you made a complete fool of yourself.
Alright, lets duke it out on semantics.

According to "The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language" Empirical evidence "is a source of knowledge acquired by means of observation or experimentation."

I've given scriptures that say we should experiment on the word of God, live his teachings and he will give us signs for us to observe in return. If I am wrong in calling that empirical evidence, please correct my understanding.

The gospel is built on empirical evidence. The way I read it, it says "if this, you will see that." It gives us a verifiable statement we all can test individually.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#442111 May 17, 2013
who="LTM"
Why are you surprise, up till the time Jesus started to preach the Kingdom of God people thought He was just the son of a carpenter.
When He was born Mary and Joseph had to hid with Him people were trying to kill Him.
It was only after His baptism, and His 40 days and night in the wilderness, did His ministry start.
His brothers and sisters didn't even know He was the Messiah.
There was much written about Him before he was born, He fulfilled all prophecy about Him.
The 12 disciples , wrote much about Him in the N.T. as did Paul.
The is a book written about Him Its Called the Holy Bible.
You just choose to not believe what is written.
The Quran' believes in the virgin birth they honor Mary but to them Jesus is just a Prophet like Muhammad.

No, they do not believe that Jesus is a Prophet like Muhammad. They say that He is a good Prophet (just a man), but that Muhammad is THE Prophet (Messiah) prophesied.

KayMarie

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#442112 May 17, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Your quote sums up every aspect of Protestantism. This would INCLUDE the Pentecostal movement that began about a hundred yrs ago. You see, you're not in the Church Confrint. Your outside dictating your own Christian theology. That's the only thing you seem concerned about. I don't think you were called by God to interpret the scriptures because you don't teach the same as the Apostolic fathers, the Apostles and Jesus Christ.
Also, you falsely accuse we Catholics almost every day. That reeks of something wicked.
~~~

You are the one that reeks of wickedness...

Evidently you think God is stupid...that He did not care when your religion was paganized over the years... in the minds of your many ungodly papal successors...

Each one added his own personal opinion or deleted something from the word of God until it has become the modern fables and conjecture that it is today....

To many cooks spoil the broth...

In your case to many papal additions to the

word of God...has destroyed the truth of God's word....It has been

convoluted and changed and deluded beyond any recognition or semblance

to

God's original plan of salvation/redemption.

God's plan of redemption was planned before the worlds were framed.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Heb 11:2 For by it the elders obtained a good report.

Heb 11:3 ===> Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Location hidden

#442113 May 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Mistake,
That is not funding. It is paying for services rendered.
Ok, are you some kind of financial advisor or accountant? Again, lets duke it out on semantics.

If you fund something...you are expecting those funds to produce some kind of asset or service. The creation of that asset or service is a service rendered, even if it isn't rendered to you directly. Therefore, funding is paying for services rendered.

You can keep playing with words, or we can get down to the meat of the topic.

Location hidden

#442114 May 17, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
You bring up some good points. However, how do you quantify how much "faith" is required? That is between you and God,and we can't hold up a "faith meter" to measure how "Christian" some one is.
As far as the Spirit, that was implied in my definition. If you profess faith and act on it, you will follow Christ and repent, be baptized, receive the Holy Ghost from authorized ministers of Christ's gospel, and you will continue to follow Christ by following what the Holy Spirit tells you.
Basically five major steps:
-Faith
-Repentance
-Baptism
-Receive the Holy Ghost
-Endure
I'd consider some one a Christian no matter where they are on "steps" I listed...as long as they have faith and are progressing towards the later steps, which will happen in they are acting on true faith.
5steps??????????
That's YOUR prerequisites to? Salvation"

You really shouldn't "try" to apply that to everyone else.
That is YOUR arrogance!
Walk your OWN walk...DON"T try to tell someone else how ta do it...Ya jist might git yer ass busted fer it!
I mean who the hell are YOU? GOD?

NOPE!
jist another arrogant azzhole!
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#442115 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
I disagree.
This form of Gnosticism may not be revived in the sense you express, but there is a global change approaching, rather fast IMO, that will expose many changes to the religious world.
It will be welcomed and it will allow humanity to become part of this world as it is destined to be. Your religious views will eventually be the minority.
Religion cannot stop knowledge, nor can it stop those individuals who express this knowledge through various forms of technology (i.e. internet) and/or media and its many forms.
Spiritual knowledge will be realized by many. And I'm happy to say this Regina, it will eventually come to you as well.
*hug*
I'm rooting for ya!
I think this pretty much sums it up:

A just verdict on the Gnostics is that of O. Gruppe (Ausführungen, p. 162); the circumstances of the period gave them a certain importance. But a living force they never were, either in general history or in the history of Christendom. Gnosticism deserves attention as showing what mention dispositions Christianity found in existence, what obstacles it had to overcome to maintain its own life; but "means of mental progress it never was".
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/06592a.htm

Location hidden

#442116 May 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then ---why the hell didn't you say so? and give example of implication of the action?
Then it wouldn't have appeared so ludicrous and ridiculous..
"Action," as explained to New Age:

-Faith
-Repentance
-Baptism
-Reception of the Holy Ghost
-Enduring (keeping God's commandments, obeying what the Holy Ghost prompts you to do)

I know there is a lot implied in these words, so if you want me to drill down on any of these, just ask.

-God bless ya

Location hidden

#442117 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh BT, I'm not disputing you, I just find in interesting.
It just goes to show what is seen through a child's eye, versus what we adults live. I sometimes wish I was a child again, but many times, I don't. So I compromised. I now collect action figures, comic books, and Hot wheels!
- "the one with the most toys wins!"
:o)
I sometimes dream of being able to sit with animals in their homes, but after having and raising ferrets for 10 yrs, I chose not to anymore.
:o)
I'd love ta go back there. But ya know what? The world is right here stopping all that greatness.

Location hidden

#442118 May 17, 2013
Sambrotherofnephi wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but the Church facilitated a lot. People still would have had imaginations without the church. However, would some of the great composers and artists and architects been able to devote as much time to refine their talent if they were not supported by the Church?
We can only guess.
Who knows what might have happened if the church hadn't confiscated everyones' property.
Maybe the "dark Ages" would have never happened...in fact I'm sure of it!

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#442119 May 17, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>and her name is oprah.
LOL,LOL,LOL.

Location hidden

#442120 May 17, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
The attempt to picture Gnosticism as a mighty movement of the human mind towards the noblest and highest truth, a movement in some way parallel to that of Christianity, has completely failed. It has been abandoned by recent unprejudiced scholars such as W. Bousset and O. Gruppe, and it is to be regretted that it should have been renewed by an English writer, G.R.S. Mead, in "Fragments of a Faith Forgotten", an unscholarly and misleading work, which in English-speaking countries may retard the sober and true appreciation of Gnosticism as it was in historical fact.
Gnosticism was not an advance, it was a retrogression. It was born amidst the last throes of expiring cults and civilizations in Western Asia and Egypt. Though hellenized, these countries remained Oriental and Semitic to the core. This Oriental spirit — Attis of Asia Minor, Istar of Babylonia, Isis of Egypt, with the astrological and cosmogonic lore of the Asiatic world — first sore beset by Ahuramazda in the East, and then overwhelmed by the Divine greatness of Jesus Christ in the West, called a truce by the fusion of both Parseeism and Christianity with itself. It tried to do for the East what Neo-Platonism tried to do for the West. During at least two centuries it was a real danger to Christianity, though not so great as some modern writers would make us believe, as if the merest breath might have changed the fortunes of Gnostic, as against orthodox, Christianity.
Similar things are said of Mithraism and neo-Platonism as against the religion of Jesus Christ. But these sayings have more piquancy than objective truth. Christianity survived, and not Gnosticism, because the former was the fittest — immeasurably, nay infinitely, so. Gnosticism died not by chance, but because it lacked vital power within itself; and no amount of theosophistic literature, flooding English and German markets, can give life to that which perished from intrinsic and essential defects.(I concur.)
Ya know what?
Yer so full of shit yer eyes are brown.
How about answering the questions sister, rather than dancing the holey pokey!

Everything you posted here is totally out of touch with anything I asked....and I mean EVERYTHING!

YOU know WHY.

YOU WILL LOSE ON EVERY COUNT!
Would you like me to "REPOST" the post?

Location hidden

#442121 May 17, 2013
<quoted text>
YEAH TEAM CATHOLIC!! GOOOOOO TEAM!!!
I guess I am not as nice as you when I am being "played".
You do it your way, and I will do it mine.

“YESHUA IS LORD”

Since: Apr 07

GAWGIA (GEORGIA)

#442122 May 17, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Philo was born in 20 BCE died 50 AD. Jesus supposedly born 4-7 BCE died 27 AD.
Philo was one of the great philosophers of his time and would have been around and writing during the entire era that Jesus supposedly lived in the same area. Philo wrote over 30 manuscripts and 850,000 words about the jews during that era, yet he mentions not one word about a miracle man Jesus.
According to scriptures ONLY, Jesus was as popular then as the Beatles were in the 60s and supposedly loved by all..........yet a very short time later everyone is screamng for his death! Makes no common sense. What is missing between being loved and being hated so much people want you dead?

Even the so called High priest Caiaphas was an impostor and held a position that God did not give him. The high priest was suppoosed to be appointed by God but this impostor Caiaphas was appointed by the Roman Government,not by God.
......makes no common sense.
Everyone was NOT screaming for His death but only those fake,impostor Pharisees that were calling themselves Jews. Those impostors were NOT from the tribe of Judah hense they were IMPOSTORS....(REVELATION 2:9 AND 3:9).
Those sons of Cain condemned themselves as well as their children when they shouted for the blood of Chriast and stated let His blood be on them and on their children. Guess what? IT IS. Christ even condemned them to hell when He asked How can they escape the damnation of hell?

Location hidden

#442123 May 17, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
The attempt to picture Gnosticism as a mighty movement of the human mind towards the noblest and highest truth, a movement in some way parallel to that of Christianity, has completely failed. It has been abandoned by recent unprejudiced scholars such as W. Bousset and O. Gruppe, and it is to be regretted that it should have been renewed by an English writer, G.R.S. Mead, in "Fragments of a Faith Forgotten", an unscholarly and misleading work, which in English-speaking countries may retard the sober and true appreciation of Gnosticism as it was in historical fact.
Gnosticism was not an advance, it was a retrogression. It was born amidst the last throes of expiring cults and civilizations in Western Asia and Egypt. Though hellenized, these countries remained Oriental and Semitic to the core. This Oriental spirit — Attis of Asia Minor, Istar of Babylonia, Isis of Egypt, with the astrological and cosmogonic lore of the Asiatic world — first sore beset by Ahuramazda in the East, and then overwhelmed by the Divine greatness of Jesus Christ in the West, called a truce by the fusion of both Parseeism and Christianity with itself. It tried to do for the East what Neo-Platonism tried to do for the West. During at least two centuries it was a real danger to Christianity, though not so great as some modern writers would make us believe, as if the merest breath might have changed the fortunes of Gnostic, as against orthodox, Christianity.
Similar things are said of Mithraism and neo-Platonism as against the religion of Jesus Christ. But these sayings have more piquancy than objective truth. Christianity survived, and not Gnosticism, because the former was the fittest — immeasurably, nay infinitely, so. Gnosticism died not by chance, but because it lacked vital power within itself; and no amount of theosophistic literature, flooding English and German markets, can give life to that which perished from intrinsic and essential defects.(I concur.)
OH BTW- Where in hell did you EVER get the idea that I was a gnostic?
IT SURE DIDN'T COME FROM ME!

Yer bark'n up the wrong tree baby!

Location hidden

#442124 May 17, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
There's not enough room to paste the rest here. It's obvious you don't know as much about Christianity as you think you do. Anthony was correct in suggesting you read the Early Church Fathers, for a start.
I'll match wits with you anytime sis!

Have at it!

Location hidden

#442125 May 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm content to know that I don't have answers, and won't get them from the likes of you or any other self-indulged religious preacher.
I will wait, and if I am aware after the death of my physical body, I will be ... and if not, I won't be.
Your fortune telling has no power over what will be.
I don't particularly remember him ever saying he was a fortune teller.
Are you bearing false witness?
That is dishonest Y'know?

Location hidden

#442126 May 17, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and when humans call it spirit they usually mean that a spirit of a god is in them.
I never hear people of religion say that non-human forms of life are "spiritual."
How the fluck are you the judge of what someone calls "spirituality?
Are you playing god now?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#442127 May 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
One questoin...Does it say anywhere in Matthew..."Jesus of Nazareth"?
BTW "waters" was the "abyss"(nun) spoken of in the "Old Kingdom" of Egypt.
BTW- If "lineage" was determined by "male" succession(as was everyone preceding), then Jesus born of "Mary" was totally out of the picture of succession of lineage.
I'm not sure if you ever read James Tabor's "The Jesus Dynasty", but he posits that Jesus was of two prominent lineages - one of "Joseph's" as a holy one and of "Mary's" - a kingship lineage (David's).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 51 min Cultastic 9,179
News A most reluctant crusader 3 hr Polaris 11
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 7 hr fedupwiththemess 84,042
News Armenian Genocide: Turkey To Convert Hagia Sofi... 12 hr SpaceBlues 6
News Turkey disappointed with Pope's Armenian 'genoc... Sat Erkek Turk 19
News Turkish Leaders Invoke Crusades, Inquisition in... Apr 18 Chuck 22
News St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes (Apr '14) Apr 16 ELIAS IBARRA 51
More from around the web