Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
425,481 - 425,500 of 538,950 Comments Last updated 38 min ago

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

#441321 May 15, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Anticipation is the driving force for those of faith.
Its more exciting to think or believe what is going to happen then when it actually happens.
When we die the very same thing will happen to all of us. Whatever that may be, being born by chance into a particular belief claiming that way is the right way is utter nonsense.
If there is a God, he has no religion, because religious beliefs are all man made.
I totally agree.

I just do the best I can to be kind to others and leave theology of all religions out of my picture.

Being selfish by nature, I can't do any better than my best.

Smithers, Canada

#441322 May 15, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Others like the Amazing Randi have standing rewards for anyone who can prove the supernatural.
So too do religious organizations seeking proof of God.
Any of the Xians claiming proof here stand to rake in millions, as soon as they produce the proof they claim to have.
Both so far, no takers. We call this phenomena "REALITY."
Theologians were very cunning when they created invisible gods. Then they instilled in followers to keep the faith IN the invisible gods.

There is no way to prove something invisible does not exist, and all the theologians knew that issue to be fact. It's comparable to trying to drag a ghost out of a closet just because someone claims it lives in the closet. It's not possible.

Religion is popular because it gives people HOPE in many varying ways. And if that was all it did, I would have no problem with it. But it has been used for horrible purposes of torture, killing and persecuting those such as homosexuals, and all in the guise of supposed goodness.

I believe it's time to set the nonsense free, but I doubt that others will see it as I see it.

Having been under the spell of such nonsense for so many years, I want no more of it in my life. I will take my chances that if there is a deity, that deity will know why I left religion behind to put faith in the idea that if I treat my neighbors as I want to be treated in spite of my selfish nature, I can't do better than my best. I will now let the chips fall where they may and hopefully die at peace with myself and those around me.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#441324 May 15, 2013
Before I do answer these questions - if on-topic, you had stated you were involved with religion for 70 yrs (exactly how you were involved with is yet to be disclosed). But besides that point - okay - that is a very long time. May I ask,*how long ago* did you take that step to just "depart" from religion and become an Atheist?

Now on to your questions.....
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever consider that all people who read the bible take from the words what pleases them, and in turn are certain that they took the ONLY right meanings from the words?
Yes I did, many, many years ago. Why? If you are just learning this, then I seem to be a bit further in understanding religion than you are.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>You seem to think that your interpretation of the words from the bible are carved in stone, but words are used by you just the same as they are used by all others, and that is to match human desires.
Very true. I am honest enough to say that what I say and post is purely my belief in those things, but to support my position, I can also state that my beliefs are the same as many men and women before me throughout history. Some of my beliefs actually go back to the days of Plato and what he philosophized.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>From some of what I have studied ... the popes believed they were doing others a favor by burning the devil out of them on earth, so they could escape burning in hell for "eternity" ... which would have been perceived by the popes as a "kindness" to the GOD-offenders.
Okay.
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>They tortured others to try to make them follow Catholicism, because just as did Mother Teresa who baptized as many Hindus and others as she could to Catholicism ... they also believed that if they didn't save others, the others would burn in hell for ever and ever. They were afraid for others, as I believe these Catholics and Protestants on the forum are afraid for others.
There are many ways of perceiving.
Bad "Catholics", bad. Wanna know something June? If you had researched the religion you practiced, BEFORE joining up, you would have found out alllllll about them.

Here is one that they like to keep from its followers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Council_o...

Described in a little more detail here:
http://books.google.com/books...
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#441325 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Theologians were very cunning when they created invisible gods. Then they instilled in followers to keep the faith IN the invisible gods.
There is no way to prove something invisible does not exist, and all the theologians knew that issue to be fact. It's comparable to trying to drag a ghost out of a closet just because someone claims it lives in the closet. It's not possible.
Religion is popular because it gives people HOPE in many varying ways. And if that was all it did, I would have no problem with it. But it has been used for horrible purposes of torture, killing and persecuting those such as homosexuals, and all in the guise of supposed goodness.
I believe it's time to set the nonsense free, but I doubt that others will see it as I see it.
Having been under the spell of such nonsense for so many years, I want no more of it in my life. I will take my chances that if there is a deity, that deity will know why I left religion behind to put faith in the idea that if I treat my neighbors as I want to be treated in spite of my selfish nature, I can't do better than my best. I will now let the chips fall where they may and hopefully die at peace with myself and those around me.
10-4 on that.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#441327 May 15, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Black Thunder 42:
Communicating on a computer we use words, and expressions.
Typically they express our thoughts and sometimes deeper concepts.
But in the end, words fail.
Why? Because we are overwhelmed by our own minds for now.
...and even in the best intent, more often than not, those words are misinterpreted.

Location hidden

#441328 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
To know that from being kind one moment, I could just as easily(for instance) be a killer the next moment.
Today I am quite pleased that I've never been to prison, but that could change in a flash. And then I would have to learn to survive among some very brutal women.
I would either be a new self, or maybe die at the hands of others who really didn't value my life as they value their own.
I am only as kind as circumstances allow, and my circumstances can't balance me one way or the other.
Situations change and the self either changes ... or not.
A man who came home from a concentration camp after the last war stated something to the effect ... "The best ones didn't survive."
Those are not standards. They are examples of possibilities of actions and outcome and emotion.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#441329 May 15, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are dismissing "God's Plan" because "He" only participates 'part-time'?
Unless you accept it exists, and everything I say is part of it.
Do you?
How did you come to speculate this? That is what you are doing. I guess you'll leave your "faith" - in this regard - outside the discussion, huh?
God does things on God's time as He sees fit.

Location hidden

#441330 May 15, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you have direct contact with Peter who interprets scripture for you?
HE'S BEEN DEAD FOR A LONG TIME!
The Catholics have his bones.
That was their ridiculous basis that they were the rightful head of the "universal church"...and apostolic succession...and the "creation" of saints(and their control of it).
The obelisk in St. Peters square is the "exterior" symbol of their "superiority" over all religions for all to see. There are others in the buildings floors that are "walked on".
Dan

Omaha, NE

#441331 May 15, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Then "He" is not omnipresent either, huh? Or "all-powerful", or some other concoction to make "Him" the 'greatest'.
Your argument is dwindling rather quickly.
Omnipresence, as with omniscience, doesn't dictate action on Gods' part.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#441332 May 15, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
That was their ridiculous basis that they were the rightful head of the "universal church"...and apostolic succession...and the "creation" of saints(and their control of it).
The obelisk in St. Peters square is the "exterior" symbol of their "superiority" over all religions for all to see. There are others in the buildings floors that are "walked on".
Actually, no. To all of the above.

But never mind all that. Have you ever seen the scavi? You can take a virtual tour, it's very cool.

http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necro...

Some background info:
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/rel...

Location hidden

#441333 May 15, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no. To all of the above.
But never mind all that. Have you ever seen the scavi? You can take a virtual tour, it's very cool.
http://www.vatican.va/various/basiliche/necro...
Some background info:
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/rel...
The link you provided shows "literally" what I stated.
Religion A Delusion

Titusville, FL

#441334 May 15, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
God does things on God's time as He sees fit.
Does time flow by for a God as it does for us?

The omnipotence paradox?
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#441335 May 15, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
They THINK they have his bones. Probably not. They thought they had his chair too until a Muslim pointed out some Islamic carvings on it. LOL.
The obelisk in St. Peters is of pagan origin. SILLY PEOPLE.
The statues have been renamed. Mary and Jesus is Isis and Horus - predating Christ by centuries.

Yet they still believe they are the only ones who can interpret scriture and only they have the truth.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#441336 May 15, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
The link you provided shows "literally" what I stated.
Yes, we do have St. Peter's remains. That was a mistake on my part. But we don't base our faith on that fact. It would still be the Catholic faith, with or without his remains.
Regina

Long Branch, NJ

#441337 May 15, 2013
A large pink granite obelisk can be admired in the center of the square. It was hewn from a single block and stands 25.31 m. high on a base 8.25 m. wide. The obelisk which comes from Heliopolis, Egypt, where it was built by the Pharaoh Mencares in 1835 BC in honor of the sun, was brought to Rome in 37 BC by the Emperor Caligula (37-41) and erected in the circus he built. Here it was silent witness of the martyrdom of St. Peter and of many other Christians. In 1586 Sixtus V had it moved to the center of St. Peter's Square.

Originally inscribed to "Divine Augustus" and "Divine Tiberius" and now dedicated to the Holy Cross - "Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat. Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat." It is topped by a bronze cross containing a fragment of the true Cross.
http://saintpetersbasilica.org/Exterior/Obeli...

Smithers, Canada

#441338 May 15, 2013
Regina wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we do have St. Peter's remains.
:)

Smithers, Canada

#441339 May 15, 2013
It's too bad that the supposed savior Jesus is not in his supposed tomb.

My guess is if they had a body in that tomb, they would find out that the father's DNA is not of a spirit, but rather of a mortal man of earth.

The Catholic-theologians struck it lucky when they made up the story that he rose from the dead and disappeared into the wild blue yonder.

With no body to be found ... no DNA sample can be tested to prove that the father was of earth, NOT of spirit.

:)
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#441340 May 15, 2013
Regina wrote:
A large pink granite obelisk can be admired in the center of the square. It was hewn from a single block and stands 25.31 m. high on a base 8.25 m. wide. The obelisk which comes from Heliopolis, Egypt, where it was built by the Pharaoh Mencares in 1835 BC in honor of the sun, was brought to Rome in 37 BC by the Emperor Caligula (37-41) and erected in the circus he built. Here it was silent witness of the martyrdom of St. Peter and of many other Christians. In 1586 Sixtus V had it moved to the center of St. Peter's Square.
Originally inscribed to "Divine Augustus" and "Divine Tiberius" and now dedicated to the Holy Cross - "Christus Vincit, Christus Regnat, Christus Imperat. Christus ab omni malo plebem suam defendat." It is topped by a bronze cross containing a fragment of the true Cross.
Jer. 43:13 He shall break also the images of Bethshemesh, that is in the land of Egypt; and the houses of the gods of the Egyptians shall he burn with fire.

Micah 5:13 Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.
Pictures of John Paul II, dressed in scarlet, celebrating Palm Sunday in St. Peter's square on April 16th, 2000, with a "grove" of potted palms and hundred-year-old olive trees placed around the standing solar pillar (matstsebah) or obelisk, in the centre of the Vatican's large pagan solar wheel symbolizing Baal and Ishtar.

Deu 16:21 Thou shalt not plant thee a grove (asherah) of any trees near unto the altar of the LORD thy God, which thou shalt make thee.
Deu 16:22 Neither shalt thou set thee up any image (matstsebah / pillar); which the LORD thy God hateth.

Why on Earth would a church claiming to be apostolic and the pillar of truth set up a pagan obelisk in the centre of St. Peter's square?
Tiger Lily

New Zealand

#441341 May 15, 2013
The word matstsebah in Hebrew means standing images or obelisk and it can be found in many places of the Bible. Here is Strong's definition of the Hebrew word matstsebah-

H4676. matstsebah, mats-tsay-baw'; fem.(causat.) part. of H5324; something stationed, i.e. a column or (memorial stone); by anal. an idol:--garrison,(standing) image, pillar.

In the following verses matstsebah has been translated as image(s)-

Exodus 23:24 Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images.

Exodus 34:13 But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves:

Lev 26:1 Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

Deuteronomy 7:5 But thus shall ye deal with them; ye shall destroy their altars, and break down their images, and cut down their groves, and burn their graven images with fire.

Deuteronomy 12:3 And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their groves with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.

1 Kings 14:23 For they also built them high places, and images, and groves, on every high hill, and under every green tree.

2 Kings 3:2 And he wrought evil in the sight of the LORD; but not like his father, and like his mother: for he put away the image of Baal that his father had made.

2 Kings 10:26 And they brought forth the images out of the house of Baal, and burned them.

2 Kings 10:27 And they brake down the image of Baal, and brake down the house of Baal, and made it a draught house unto this day.

2 Chronicles 14:3 For he took away the altars of the strange gods, and the high places, and brake down the images, and cut down the groves:

2 Chronicles 31:1 Now when all this was finished, all Israel that were present went out to the cities of Judah, and brake the images in pieces, and cut down the groves, and threw down the high places and the altars out of all Judah and Benjamin, in Ephraim also and Manasseh, until they had utterly destroyed them all. Then all the children of Israel returned, every man to his possession, into their own cities.

Jer. 43:13 He shall break also the images of Bethshemesh, that is in the land of Egypt; and the houses of the gods of the Egyptians shall he burn with fire.

Micah 5:13 Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.

Seems to me these words fall on deaf ears in the Papacy.

Smithers, Canada

#441342 May 15, 2013
Regina wrote:
The Catholic theologians were very busy with their pens and their imaginations ... as were all theologians before and after the Catholics.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Thu Maverick 8,274
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu ELIAS IBARRA 45
Agenda for Pope's apostolic visit to Sri Lanka ... Aug 27 Ponniah 1
Allah is great.... (Jul '13) Aug 26 christ 170
Cuba to build first Catholic church in decades Aug 25 WE JUST DONT CARE 37
Pope Aims At Revival of Holy Roman Empire Aug 23 Patriot 1
St. Peter's overflows for historic day of 4 popes Aug 23 ELIAS IBARRA 46
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••