Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 20 comments on the Jul 10, 2007, CBC News story titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Since: Sep 09

Smithers, Canada

#441232 May 15, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>they are not my desires,like i said was making a point about a second coming,and it had to involve scripture.
If you put faith in a second coming, those "are" your desires.

Your bible would be worse than useless to you if you thought Jesus was not going to come to save you.

I don't believe any savior is necessary for animals, and whether humans want to face it or not ... we are ALL simply animals.

If there just happens to be an afterlife, my guess is, it will include all the same type of life that ever existed on earth ... even dinosaurs.

That would only be fair.

:)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#441233 May 15, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
I agree with much of your thinking.
I would add, that because we are bound by the flesh, and for the most part, overcome by the senses(including the intellect), our limits of seeing an individual and collective outcome for humanity past death are very confined.(Biblically," we see but in a mirror dimly.")
But also in Biblical Christianity salvation is not by works, but in accepting Truth( if that is a work, then so be it), and is expressed in loving God and neighbor, which allows Love to be the center of one's own self.
So there is a point of intersection through which we can commonly discuss, with perhaps different words with similar meanings.(At least I think so.)
We just need to get past the "menudo" we each express openly.

:o)

Love and honesty are key factors.

Albuquerque, NM

#441234 May 15, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
New Age Spiritual Leader:
Ah. Yet is it the Creature, that seeks its Creator?
Or is our attention drawn from imperfections in oneself, to a Perfect Creator, and that becomes religion?
I, personally, am not seeking any "Creator", because I beleive differently than you.

For June:

"I believe that - somewhere, something, somehow, caused something to happen, which has caused all of this to occur."

Vague? Yes it is, because that is how much information I have to make any conclusions, so I don't make a conclusion.

Unlike others, who think the information provided by men, provide the individual with a conclusion.

The only conclusion one should accept for this discussion, is to not make a conclusion, because they don't have all the answers to begin with.

"Or is our attention drawn from imperfections in oneself, to a Perfect Creator, and that becomes religion?"
- this thought is only based upon and within those who think the Bible is true. Those of us who find that teh Bible is not accurate and full of errors, will believe differently.
- Like I said, I don't look for a "Creator" at all, but I do look for answers to the paranormal.

Albuquerque, NM

#441235 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
And they wanted people to believe that a Jew named Jesus supported the killing.
Citation please.

Smithers, Canada

#441236 May 15, 2013
Maybe some day the word "miracle" ... brought to the language by nonsensical religion, will be a word of the archaic past.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

Today, by the lexicon of modern resuscitation science, death is in fact fully reversible. Death can no longer be considered an absolute moment but rather a process that can be reversed even many hours after it has taken place. How many hours? Well, we don't know precisely, but definitely long enough to say that many of the 1,514 lifeless bodies discovered in the water by the crew of the rescue ship RMS Carpathia two hours after the Titanic had sunk could have been brought back to life if the Titanic had sunk in 2012 instead of 1912. This is not a play on words; it is literal. A person can actually be brought back to life after the heart has stopped beating and the brain has flatlined. The reason? The discovery that it is only after a person actually dies that the cells in his body go through their own process of death, which can be manipulated through science.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-parnia-md-p...

Albuquerque, NM

#441237 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
And they wanted people to believe that a Jew named Jesus supported the killing.
To add - we both know that morality - in some sense - was a factor in these killings.

If we can utilize the "thou shall not kill" commandment as part of this speculation, then we can also surmise, since those people did kill, then they broke the commandment - thus, their morality is skewed, or only of their own.

That would also imply that if any of those folks were designated as "Saints" - in all fact, they were not "saintly" at all, and thus those folks - per Christianity - are in hell for going against "God".

Jesus didn't support killing, although certain men did.

Whether or not they used "in the name of Jesus", you'll have to provide some documentation that confirms your insertion.

Albuquerque, NM

#441238 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
To someone else, your honesty might be perceived as a lie.
True.

Smithers, Canada

#441239 May 15, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
We just need to get past the "menudo" we each express openly.
:o)
Love and honesty are key factors.
Whose concept of honesty do you value besides your own???

Having been in religion, I was totally honest when I stated that I believed a god existed and that the god was of the nature of only love.

Now, I am of the belief that no deity exists and that is my current honest opinion.

Honesty does not mean that what people believe is based on truth.

Whether they are mine or yours, concepts cannot honestly claim to know truth.

Albuquerque, NM

#441240 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Why NOT then? When I had a talk with my self that my religion was also based on fantasy, it made it clear to me that I shouldn't just judge other people's religion as being based on selfish motives, as my own was also simply what satiated my desires. That was when I decided to leave all religion ... "including" my own previously precious fantasies.
It seemed the only fair avenue to take.
And so what is "right" for you, must take precedence upon others.

You sound like "God".

Welcome to the forum!

;o)

Now about the "true church" business.....what's the dillio?

Smithers, Canada

#441241 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Citation please.
The popes that taught that killing "heretics" and "witches" was a holy venture would most certainly want the followers to believe that Jesus supported what they taught.

They would not say to the followers ... "God wants you to kill those who offend him, but, by the way, Jesus is against what god wants you to do."

Is that enough "citation" for you?

Albuquerque, NM

#441242 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you still believe you KNOW your self???
Yes June, I still do.

Nothing has changed in 5 minutes (when you last asked).

Are you trying to get some other answer? If so, it isn't working.
Human Being

Arnaudville, LA

#441243 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
I just watched a program called "truth seekers."
On the program it showed how the air-force was doing tests on pilots concerning what happened to them when they pass-out from the blood leaving their brains from extreme Gravitational-force.
When the pilots came back to conscious-awareness, some of them told of having the same experiences as those who claim to have had near-death experiences.
They saw relatives on earth and ones that were deceased. And they felt euphoric and saw bright lights, etc.
Scientists explained it as a natural state of what occurs when the brain is deprived of oxygen.
Many in religion are anxious to attach their theology to the issue ... but my guess is, the more scientists study the phenomena, the more they will conclude it has nothing in common with religion.
June VanDerMark:

You definitely bring up a good point.

My personal experience, while hiking through the High Sierras,(in my younger days), we gained to much altitude to quickly, and were oxygen starved. At 13,000 feet while in a small valley, I walked by a large boulder and saw myself sitting on that boulder taking a rest.

Since that time, I have been aware of the mind and how it can trick the body and itself.

Also, a Christian does not depend on physical stimuli as a basis of faith, although it may lead one by providence to making decisions.

The valley of decision.

Albuquerque, NM

#441244 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Having for seventy years been under the spell of religion, I can relate to both.
From the old school, huh?

The guise was strong, huh?

Bummer for you - you are now just beginning to learn.

Hopefully, you won't die before finding the answers you seek.

Smithers, Canada

#441245 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
And so what is "right" for you, must take precedence upon others.
You sound like "God".
Welcome to the forum!
;o)
Now about the "true church" business.....what's the dillio?
If I believed I was a god, I would have to believe that a god exists, and I don't. I believe I am a mortal animal, of the same worth as all other animals ... except to myself, who, being very selfish in my nature, just like any other animal, would fight to the death to defend my own life.

I suggest you stop being so silly.

Albuquerque, NM

#441246 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe all is goodness, then you must not believe that serial killers are evil, or for that matter, even selfish.
There is your self again.
You'll have to post my statement/post on where I had said or stated that.

You won't find one.

Which means - you really shouldn't make-up things about others.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#441247 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you believe all is goodness, then you must not believe that serial killers are evil, or for that matter, even selfish.
yep I am totally convince now that you are a fruit cake.
Seeing that you don't care what happens to you after you die, why don't we just sharpen your legs and plant you in a veggie garden, in Iraq.

Albuquerque, NM

#441248 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are angry with how and why religion affected you, maybe a therapist is the correct answer for your discourse and frustration with religion.

Albuquerque, NM

#441249 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
If you put faith in a second coming, those "are" your desires.
Your bible would be worse than useless to you if you thought Jesus was not going to come to save you.
I don't believe any savior is necessary for animals, and whether humans want to face it or not ... we are ALL simply animals.
If there just happens to be an afterlife, my guess is, it will include all the same type of life that ever existed on earth ... even dinosaurs.
That would only be fair.
*whispers* Psst - Jethro is sort of like you - but a Realist.
LTM

Fort Frances, Canada

#441250 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Having for seventy years been under the spell of religion, I can relate to both.
That's your problem, you perceive religions are from God.

You were brainwashed into believe in a religions instead of in Almighty God.
You must have been sitting in a church filled with dead mans bones.
to sit in a religion for 70 years and not learn that religion and God are not the same thing.
Jesus came preaching the Kingdom of God not a religion.

Smithers, Canada

#441251 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Yes June, I still do.
Nothing has changed in 5 minutes (when you last asked).
Are you trying to get some other answer? If so, it isn't working.
Just checking.

I know that I don't my self or what crimes I might be capable of committing.

For instance, if as occurred with Jeffry Dahmer, I was gay and was raised by Christian parents who taught me that being gay was evil, I might have grown up to be a serial killer.

And if I believed my parents, I might be full of hate of a god that I believed hated me for being gay. I might hate the people of society in general that picked on gays as being offensive to the god, and I might hate anything that resembled evil in others and most certainly my self.

From my perception, theologians taught more hate in the guise of love, than any other lot of criminals on earth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 6 hr Cultastic 9,185
News What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) Sat Jaimie 84,074
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... Sat Sherlayne 8
News Pope Francis visit to Cuba confirmed Sat W A Y L O N 2
News Extremists sought in possible plot against the ... Fri tomin cali 1
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Fri JJF 664
News Ion Mihai Pacepa 46 minutes ago History often r... Fri Tom Jones 1
More from around the web