Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 667738 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Oberlin, LA

#441157 May 15, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the attempt of the human mind to "isolate" any mental character that is undesirable [in]to an entity that is removed from the psyche, and therefor the individual is not held responsible for that thought or action.
There is your "satan" It is an integral part of each and every one of you---that you would like to remove yourselves from...and "religion" does that for you.
Black Thunder 42:

What you are describing is pride and hypocrisy.

If you think they are only human inventions and there are no spiritual beings capable of pride and hypocrisy, then that is another issue.

Since: Sep 09

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441158 May 15, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
At which point the Catholics began systematically exterminating all forms of Christianity, murdering those who would not accept the authority of the Catholic Church and burning all scriptures other than their own.
The Catholics not only murdered other Christians. They murdered all those of other religions who would not conform to Catholicism.

And they wanted people to believe that a Jew named Jesus supported the killing.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#441159 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
In addition to Gnostic, Jewish, and Pauline Christianity, there were already many other versions of Christianity being taught. After the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD, the Jewish Christian movement was scattered. Pauline and Gnostic Christianity were left as the dominant groups.
The Roman Empire legally recognized Pauline Christianity as a valid religion in 313 AD. Later in that century, in 380 AD, Roman Catholicism became the official religion of the Roman Empire. During the following 1000 years, Catholics were the only people recognized as Christians.
http://christianity.about.com/od/denomination...
This is who your remind me of June,

Madalyn Murray O'Hair , your hatred for anything other then what you believe. Matches hers.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441160 May 15, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Why? Does it frustrate you that I do?
Always worrying about others. That is so nice and wonderful.
Has it paid off for you? You must get some thank you cards in the mail from all over the place showing gratitude, right?
I for one am thankful you are here to admonish me. I don't think there is anywhere I would rather have that applied to me.
Don't you agree?
BTW - all that was from my Self. Yes I do know it.
My point is, we are only as kind as circumstances allow, and that could change in one moment. Under different circumstances we become a new self ... one that we might not like, but that we now understand is of the selfish will that comes with the need to survive.

It's nice to have a good self-image ... but at the same time being aware that we could (for instance) be a serial killer ... if circumstances were to change.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441161 May 15, 2013
LTM wrote:
<quoted text>
This is who your remind me of June,
Madalyn Murray O'Hair , your hatred for anything other then what you believe. Matches hers.
When you realize why you believe all other religions are false, you will understand why I believe yours is false.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#441162 May 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you're making a HUGE assumption here, that if there were a god it has left us aimless.
i do NOT believe that, but have found the Bible to be an enormous help for navigating life, both now and into eternity.
"I AM not leaving you as orphans, but I will send the Holy Spirit and He shall guide you into all Truth" Jesus
Is that why you ask women about their vaginas and pubic hair on WINLAC ?

You are a pathetic joke.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#441163 May 15, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
prove it, or place your neck under my foot where it belongs;)
Just like a Christian, threat violence when you are proven wrong.

Such a POS religion.
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#441164 May 15, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction... this agnostic says while it's certainly possible a higher power exists, we currently have no evidence of any god.
All of mankind's gods throughout history have proven to be imaginary and imaginary gods are neither good nor evil.
I agree. God is not a vending machine, because vending machines are real. You don't have to make up stories in order to believe vending machines exist.
You reject 99% of all the gods in world history -- all except the god that was most likely drilled into your head since childhood.
You claim to have intimate knowledge of this god, with answers to some of the most profound questions in the Universe. Wow!
Here's the problem. You have no evidence beyond your imagination. If you did have factual evidence, then the world would beat a path to your door. You would also collect millions of dollars in reward money that various religious institutions have put up for real proof.
Good for you, because you'll soon be wealthy -- or you're simply delusional.
I was talking about atheists, not agnostics. There is a difference.
You claim that all of mankind's gods have been proven imaginary. Where is the proof, please?

Here's the problem, you have no evidence beyond your imagination that God does not exist.
When you keep insisting God does not exist, it just makes you look...well...delusional.
Thanks.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441165 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
I guessed you would answer in the way you did. And I was right.
I must have telepathy.
Thanks for responding.
Of course you choose the links that suit your religious beliefs.

It's the same with those who choose the scriptures that suit their own beliefs.

It doesn't take telepathy to know that we all choose to associate with those who have the same points of view as do we.

I am now an Atheist, so I relate to those who don't believe in the existence of any deities whatsoever.

When I was under the spell of religion, I related to those who had the same beliefs as the ones that pleased me.

It's just the way it goes.
Human Being

Oberlin, LA

#441166 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is, we are only as kind as circumstances allow, and that could change in one moment. Under different circumstances we become a new self ... one that we might not like, but that we now understand is of the selfish will that comes with the need to survive.
It's nice to have a good self-image ... but at the same time being aware that we could (for instance) be a serial killer ... if circumstances were to change.
June VanDerMark:

If what you say is correct then it is because of selfishness, and the desire to seek and maintain one's own comfort.

You then deny self-sacrifice, and love.

Definitely, we all fall short of perfection, but if free-will exists, then circumstances do not dictate one's course, though the ride may be rough.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441167 May 15, 2013
<quoted text>
Nah - I normally don't get involved with "evil" things.
If you believe that evil exists, then rest assured that others might see YOU as evil.

I don't cotton to the word evil. I use the word selfishness in place of the word evil, and if we look at the self "in balance," we will see the same selfishness there as we see in others.

For instance ... if I had been one of the early popes, I would have ordered the killing of supposed heretics and witches ... and I have no doubt I would have believed I was cleansing the earth of evil to please my very one and only REAL GOD.

We are programmed by those around us, and there is often nothing we can do to be better than our programming allows.
Human Being

Oberlin, LA

#441168 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you choose the links that suit your religious beliefs.
It's the same with those who choose the scriptures that suit their own beliefs.
It doesn't take telepathy to know that we all choose to associate with those who have the same points of view as do we.
I am now an Atheist, so I relate to those who don't believe in the existence of any deities whatsoever.
When I was under the spell of religion, I related to those who had the same beliefs as the ones that pleased me.
It's just the way it goes.
June VanDerMark:

So for you its all relative.

But if all is relative, then there are no absolutes. And then all cannot be relative.

Within a finite world, can there exist an infinite world? Experientially we perceive limits, yet if we conceive of infinity, such a perception exists as well.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441169 May 15, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
If what you say is correct then it is because of selfishness, and the desire to seek and maintain one's own comfort.
Of course it's all about our own comforts.

Your religion teaches you that if you follow what your theologians taught as truth, you will achieve salvation and others will go to hell.

You cling to your religion in hopes that you will be saved.

That is all about your own comfort.

As a child I would not accept that a god would send his own "children" to hell.

My comfort was to listen to my conscience.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441170 May 15, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
So for you its all relative.
But if all is relative, then there are no absolutes. And then all cannot be relative.
Within a finite world, can there exist an infinite world? Experientially we perceive limits, yet if we conceive of infinity, such a perception exists as well.
You will believe whatever serves your comfort the best.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441171 May 15, 2013
Some people believe that previous civilizations on earth were far advanced ahead of ours, and they take from that idea, that the humans were far more brilliant than humans of today.

I believe it's possible that human civilizations knew of scientific advancement far superior to our scientific advancements. But I don't believe the humans were more brilliant than are the humans of today.

Scientists simply learn from the successes and failures of previous scientists, and maybe the scientists of earlier civilizations advanced beyond where science has taken us today, before they destroyed everything and had to once again ... start over again.

But I doubt that humans ever were more intelligent, as humans all suffer from tunnel vision, and that is not likely to change.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

I do not know how the Third World War will be fought, but I can tell you what they will use in the Fourth — rocks!

Albert Einstein
hojo

Minneapolis, MN

#441172 May 15, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
From the book,“A History of Christianity”… volume 2 Clyde L. Manschreck, Editor, comes the following………
Christianity’s oldest confession of faith, the Apostle’s Creed, originally known as the Old Roman Symbol, was also developed about 150 in reaction to Gnosticism and the need for identifying statement.
More quotes from Clyde L. Manschreck, a psychiatric "quack" who is nothing but a "church historian (wanna be). Lies, heresy and distorting of the TRUTH OF TRUE APOSTOLIC CHURCH HISTORY are the "entire basis" of bible only Protestantism,along with atheists and agnostics, like you June (whichever you are). Manschreck and other anti-catholics, such as him, rely upon their "own editorializing personal opinions" to arrive at some distorted "fantasy" Disneyland conclusion.---You, June, have become an "expert" at trashing (any and all religion), debunking Almighty God Himself,(writing off) Jesus Christ and condemning and passing your personal opinionated judgment against the Catholic Church.---THEN you proceed to elevate "pretentious" so-alled authors and writers such as Karlheinz Deschner, Uta Ranke-Heineman, G.W.Foot, J.M wheel, Helen Ellede and especially Clyde Manschreck, who is (devout) anti-catholic psychiatric bias Protestant who vindictively claims to "refute" NATURAL LAW!... Even one of his former Baptist minister, writer and author that he (at one time) supported and referenced, Steve Ray,(and his entire family) has converted to the Catholic faith. I CHALLENGE YOU to read his conversion story to Jesus Christ and HIS (biblically and historically) PROVEN One True Apostolic Catholic Church----(if you dare!) June---you have become a "deserted and defiant" Island unto yourself---JUST LIKE the Prodigal Son was in Luke 15:11 --rebelliously drifting around in a "sea of distortion, chaos and spiritual confusion. The difference is that the Prodigal Son--(EVENTUALLY)-----"Ca me to his senses"!!!!

Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#441173 May 15, 2013
I think everyone would find this book interesting, even if they didn't believe in God.

"The God Shaped Brain"
by Timothy Jennings, MD

http://www.amazon.com/The-God-Shaped-Brain-Ch...

"What you believe about God actually changes your brain. Brain research has found that our thoughts and beliefs affect our physical, mental and spiritual health. Mind and body are interrelated, and we are designed for healthy relationships of love and trust. When we understand God as good and loving, we flourish. Unfortunately, many of us have distorted images of God and mostly think of him in fearful, punitive ways. This leads us into unhealthy patterns of self-defeating behaviors and toxic relationships. But our lives can change when God renews our minds with a truer picture of him. Psychiatrist Tim Jennings unveils how our brains and bodies thrive when we have a healthy understanding of who God is. He dispels common misconceptions about God and shows how different God concepts affect the brain differently. Our brains can adapt, change and rewire with redeemed thinking that frees us from unnecessary pain and suffering. Discover how science and Scripture come together to bring healing and transformation to our lives."

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#441174 May 15, 2013
Pierre Berton … Starting Out 1920-1947
We shared a common hatred of church parade, which some of us managed to skip. It was offensive to me to be forced to take part in any religious service against my will – especially as these parades had nothing to do with turning me into an efficient soldier. In this instance the chore was especially demeaning because the padre was a confirmed British Israelite. This insufferable man did his best to convince us that the lost tribes of Israel had somehow made their way to the British Isles – a piece of fantasy no more difficult to swallow than the burning bush or the parting of the Red Sea but so patently spurious that it caused our gorges to rise, whether we had any religion or not. The hatred of church parade was one of the elements that united us, slowly transforming us from a rabble into the beginnings of a disciplined military formation.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#441175 May 15, 2013
Why does the Pope believe his religion is superior to others?Pride,Self-rightousness , control,Human nature is to feel superior! Nothing about the Popes statement corrolates with the words of our savior! We are to demonstrate humility, kindness, love, peace, rightousness! This alone should show you were the popes heart lies! He is walking in the flesh not the spirit! He is unpleasing to God or father and he should repent and correct his arrogant ways! You are not the one true church you are simply self rightous in nature and misguided! May God show you the error of your ways and bring about peace between his people where you Mr. Pope have created tension!

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#441176 May 15, 2013
New Age asked:

What catalyst caused you to believe only the canon and not the non-canon?
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do I accept the canon of scripture? Because the Church compiled them and I am a member of the Church.
Btw, have you read the Book of Enoch? Enoch was the father of Methusalah, the dude that lived over 900 years.
I didn't ask why you accept the canon, I laready know that reason, you believe those men in 325 CE to have given you the correct belief. That's not the question though.

"What >>catalyst<< caused you to believe only the canon and not the non-canon?

As you can see - it is a little bit more pointed than your version.

Thanks again for responding!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 1 hr Pardon Me 284
News Dr Zakir Naik invites Pope Benedict XVI for ope... (Oct '06) Jan 14 Serah 14,364
News 7 reasons why Friday the 13th is considered an ... Jan 14 True Christian wi... 3
News Women should breastfeed in church, Pope Francis... Jan 11 Jeremy 3
News Pope Francis Affirms Evolution and Big Bang Theory (Jul '15) Dec 30 Dogen 508
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 20 Married in 10,385
News Preview: The Pope's Choir Dec 20 KenJr26 1
More from around the web