Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News 548,234
The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ. Full Story
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440184 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
The "determining crowd" has been affirming Christianity for 2000 years with no letup.
Thousands of christian denominations/sects each using the very same inspired words of God (bible) to confirm their own conflicting doctrines.

Wouldn't you believe if God intended the bible to be understood by all christian beliefs, theologens, language translators that he would have made the writings crystal clear to all, so there would be no dispute of the very same meanings of the sacred words?

Today theologens of all christian faiths argue over meanings in the bible. Highly educated language translators argue with each other over Hebrew and Greek terminology.

........2,000 years later and the battles continue.......

.....thats not good!

Since: Sep 09

Houston, Canada

#440185 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael's opinion (that location determines belief) is what wasn't factual.
The facts I presented don't require your approval of them to be facts.
Only you revolve around yourself.
The rest of us exist in a slightly larger context.
Your fact is that the bible exists. So WHAT??? All those in religions had their own stories in their own supposed holy books that the Christians by the way dissed as evil.

You people thrive on self-adulation and nothing more.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440186 May 13, 2013
Religion A Delusion wrote:
<quoted text>
These records of crucifixions would have been destroyed in the following centuries as the barbarians sacked & burned Rome, and the city fell into disrepair.
These records are known to us simply because they are referred to by other ancient Roman and Greek historians. If records of Jesus' death did exist, why wouldn't they have been referenced directly by any one of the early competing Christian sects?
Curious that the trinity had one of its own suffer so much in near anonymity to save us from ourselves -- and yet they left us with no eyewitness accounts.
I for one agree that a man named Jesus did in fact exist. There were many prophets and faith healers roaming the countryside in those days. This one was made into amyth, using prior myths.
More...
No historical record anywhere outside the Bible of Harrod's supposed killing of young Jewish males. No archaeological evidence either.
More...
No evidence that any Roman governor would ever "reluctantly" yield anything to a crowd of vocal natives -- especially Pontius Pilatus.
The story is so convoluted that you are still arguing about it today.
Hold on-you mentioned "meticulous Roma records".

Now, they don't exist. If they don't exist, how then can you claim them to have been "meticulous"?

If there aren't any records, how can you claim with certitude the circumstance of Pilate's handling of Jesus' case?

You can't.

I'm sorry, but your speculation is just that, and you lied to substantiate it.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

#440187 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael's opinion (that location determines belief) is what wasn't factual.
The facts I presented don't require your approval of them to be facts.
Only you revolve around yourself.
The rest of us exist in a slightly larger context.
...Michael's opinion (that location determines belief) is what wasn't factual.

What I said is by the most part true. In your neighborhood I am sure there are protestants, catholics, non believers etc.

Unless you believe you were chosen special yourself by God to be born catholic, in reality its just by chance which family each of us was born into.

By the most part our parents already determined our belief while we were still in the womb, that once we were born we would become the religion that our parents wanted us to follow to become..........just like them!

You didn't make the choice at your baptism/first communion/confirmation........ ..you and I did as we were told.

Dan

Omaha, NE

#440188 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Thousands of christian denominations/sects each using the very same inspired words of God (bible) to confirm their own conflicting doctrines.
Wouldn't you believe if God intended the bible to be understood by all christian beliefs, theologens, language translators that he would have made the writings crystal clear to all, so there would be no dispute of the very same meanings of the sacred words?
Today theologens of all christian faiths argue over meanings in the bible. Highly educated language translators argue with each other over Hebrew and Greek terminology.
........2,000 years later and the battles continue.......
.....thats not good!
..........and you get to the thread topic.

Congratulations.

Houston, Canada

#440189 May 13, 2013
It's plain to me why Pierre Berton, after being religious editor of a popular newspaper stated that these men of religion were arrogant while feigning humility.

They all believed they knew the truth, while they believed others were preaching lies.

People don't want to see what Pierre saw, that finally ended his already shattered faith in the idea that any of those men knew truth.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440190 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Your fact is that the bible exists. So WHAT??? All those in religions had their own stories in their own supposed holy books that the Christians by the way dissed as evil.
You people thrive on self-adulation and nothing more.
No, my fact is that Jesus existed.

Please do try to keep up.

Houston, Canada

#440191 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I expect people who declare a historical figure to be a "myth" to inform their statement of same.
Do you believe that all the other savior-gods were myths, or do you believe they were also REAL, as you believe the Jesus-myth is real?

Try to be fair for a change, and not so self-indulgent.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440192 May 13, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
...Michael's opinion (that location determines belief) is what wasn't factual.
What I said is by the most part true. In your neighborhood I am sure there are protestants, catholics, non believers etc.
Unless you believe you were chosen special yourself by God to be born catholic, in reality its just by chance which family each of us was born into.
By the most part our parents already determined our belief while we were still in the womb, that once we were born we would become the religion that our parents wanted us to follow to become..........just like them!
You didn't make the choice at your baptism/first communion/confirmation........ ..you and I did as we were told.
..........as is true with children.

This is your revelation that you insist so strongly upon?

Yes, in general, children are brought up in the faith of their household.

The Nobel committee probably isn't going to come knocking on your door having read that one, Michael.
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#440193 May 13, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>it does sound familiar,i don't remember the whole thing,anyway according to one of my neighbors from back in the days of my youth, told me i'll live forever,because god doesn't want me and the devil is afraid of me,i was not a child that lied,stole,or anything like that,but i was a risk taker more than any kid in my neighbor hood,for instance i was the first in my neighbor hood to jump a bike over a ramp,i did things like that,and on a dare to everyone,there was a big swamp in the woods that use to be near my house(now it's a strip mall)everyone was afraid of crossing it because of water moccasins, leaches, snapping turtles,well i took up the dare,and i crossed the swamp,it was cold got stuck in the mud a few times but i made it across. guessing, i'd say it was about 20-30 yrds across . i did have a few leaches on me when i got out of the water along with a few scratches,that was about it.i loved that place, i felt at home in the woods and around lakes and rivers,swamps,seeing nature at it's finest. i learned a lot about the woods, and what was there,what to look out for and what was safe,don't know if you remember a naturist named yule gibbons? he wrote a few books about the woods and forests of north america,and wrote a book which i still have about edible/non-edible wild plants,and other books about the wonders of nature and the forests, that is "MY TRUE CHURCH",life at it's finest,better than believing in a UN-provable deity that cares more about church attendance than anything else.those were about about the only books I've read,i prefer newspapers,don't know why but i love reading newspapers,even more-so now, thanks to the internet,i get to read newspapers from around the country and parts of Europe and Asia where i can find them written in English.small home town newspapers are interesting like "the gopher gazette" was a small town paper from Colorado,unfortunately it closed down. I do read encyclopedias now and then when i have questions that i can't answer,or need an answer to.
jethro8

I remember Euell Gibbons. "Tastes like wild hickory nuts."

Dan

Omaha, NE

#440194 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you believe that all the other savior-gods were myths, or do you believe they were also REAL, as you believe the Jesus-myth is real?
Try to be fair for a change, and not so self-indulgent.
Deflection, June?

Unbecoming of you.

A short while back, you were trading bon mots with Michael over Jesus Himself being a "myth".

He wasn't a "myth".

Dan

Omaha, NE

#440195 May 13, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
jethro8
I remember Euell Gibbons. "Tastes like wild hickory nuts."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =6NT1HNuy3nAXX
I recall Gibbons' having been hospitalized years ago.

Apparently, a squirrel bit him on his wild hickory nu.....

Never mind.

Houston, Canada

#440196 May 13, 2013
Tony17 wrote:
<quoted text>There are many foods mentioned in scripture that are known by scientists as being good for the body.
http://www.examiner.com/article/30-ancient-bi...
The food of that era was all they knew. It kept them alive so it would follow that they believed it had to be good.

The silver in the water at Lourdes was of nature and had nothing in common with any spiritual nonsense.

If healings occurred, it would be more about the hypnotic effect of belief plus the silver in the water that had and has healing power of its own.
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#440197 May 13, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>well next time you talk to him ask him to heal me i'm tired of being operated on every 3 months.and the pills are no fun either.
jethro8

I shall keep you in my prayers.

I know.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 55:11--"MATT 10:27"

#440198 May 13, 2013
who="Michael"
Outside the christian ONLY bible can you give me evidence that 12 apostles even existed? Can you show me that the 4 gospels were written by the names attached to them?
Outside the bible can you give me evidence that King Herod attempted to kill baby Jesus and killed dozens of other male infants instead?
Outside the bible can you give me evidence of a miraculous virgin birth?
Outside the bible can you give evidence of the crucifixion?
Outside the bible can you give evidence of miracles performed by this man.
Outside the bible can you give evidence this man Jesus the son of God actually lived.
..........you have only one source of information regarding dozens and hundreds of claims by the bible that no other group or writers says happened.
......thats not good....

You really don't understand the battle between good and evil, do you?
There are countless crosses in America...on churches, on graves, on the roadside where lives have been lost. Our government buildings in D.C. are covered with scripture verses. Our founding fathers had church services in the Capital building; some even preached.
It is nearly impossible to remove all of the 'signs' of Christianity in this nation...but atheists are working HARD and spending millions$ to try to do it. They hope to ERASE the truth. They are already declaring that America is not/was never a Christian nation. But the Bible remains, they haven't been able to erase that. They/you just declare that there is no other proof!
If all the 'proofs' that are in America could be removed, the HEAVENS WILL STILL DECLARE HIS GLORY.
KayMarie

Houston, Canada

#440199 May 13, 2013
hojo wrote:
<quoted text>
He may have been chosen by God as many other "self-appointed" ministers, also claim, but if what you say is true then why did Joseph Smith, begin "re-writing" the bible and (conveniently) inserting his name throughout the bible beginning with the book of Genesis?? Anyone can purchase a copy at most Mormon bookstores.
Joseph Smith wanted a following as did the Catholics who came up with their own flamboyant story of a Jew coming back to earth to save only those of the Catholic faith.

Unbelievable stupidity ... yet people keep the faith IN the stupidity.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440200 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
The food of that era was all they knew. It kept them alive so it would follow that they believed it had to be good.
The silver in the water at Lourdes was of nature and had nothing in common with any spiritual nonsense.
If healings occurred, it would be more about the hypnotic effect of belief plus the silver in the water that had and has healing power of its own.
What "healing power" does silver possess?

I'm unaware of them and the linked article made no mention fo silver.

Houston, Canada

#440201 May 13, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>it does sound familiar,i don't remember the whole thing,anyway according to one of my neighbors from back in the days of my youth, told me i'll live forever,because god doesn't want me and the devil is afraid of me,i was not a child that lied,stole,or anything like that,but i was a risk taker more than any kid in my neighbor hood,for instance i was the first in my neighbor hood to jump a bike over a ramp,i did things like that,and on a dare to everyone,there was a big swamp in the woods that use to be near my house(now it's a strip mall)everyone was afraid of crossing it because of water moccasins, leaches, snapping turtles,well i took up the dare,and i crossed the swamp,it was cold got stuck in the mud a few times but i made it across. guessing, i'd say it was about 20-30 yrds across . i did have a few leaches on me when i got out of the water along with a few scratches,that was about it.i loved that place, i felt at home in the woods and around lakes and rivers,swamps,seeing nature at it's finest. i learned a lot about the woods, and what was there,what to look out for and what was safe,don't know if you remember a naturist named yule gibbons? he wrote a few books about the woods and forests of north america,and wrote a book which i still have about edible/non-edible wild plants,and other books about the wonders of nature and the forests, that is "MY TRUE CHURCH",life at it's finest,better than believing in a UN-provable deity that cares more about church attendance than anything else.those were about about the only books I've read,i prefer newspapers,don't know why but i love reading newspapers,even more-so now, thanks to the internet,i get to read newspapers from around the country and parts of Europe and Asia where i can find them written in English.small home town newspapers are interesting like "the gopher gazette" was a small town paper from Colorado,unfortunately it closed down. I do read encyclopedias now and then when i have questions that i can't answer,or need an answer to.
Thanks for sharing.

I read every word, unlike when people on the forum start quoting scriptures. As soon as I see scriptures, I tune out and go on to the next person posting.

I don't like being preached at from any religious dogmas whatsoever. I had more than enough of that when I was under the spell of religion.

Since: Nov 08

usa

#440202 May 13, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what I'm talking about Jethro. We've provided a substantial amount of links about the Inquisition, Crusades, and other supposed 'mass killings', torture and pedophiles in the clergy. We let y'all read for yourselves from independent sources to show your exaggeration is inexcusable. But you don't care. And I don't care that you don't care. I know what you guys are about, and it has nothing to do with truth. I must belong to the true Church because you and the others can't counter argue without recycling age old - long debunked- protestant propaganda. The only way you can refute the Catholic Church is by posting slander and lies.
My hope is that normal people will look at both sides and make a decision. If they can't see the obvious truth then they belong on your team with the Ideologues and conspiracy Christian fundies. Its that simple.
are you denying the inquisitions and crusades took place?it's undeniable fact,they were sanctioned by the pope of the day of your church,which is well known for imprisoning people who speak out or refuse to join the church or write something that goes against catholic teaching, Galileo being the most famous one.you going to deny that the church never imprisoned him because he taught the earth circles the sun,which went against catholic teaching of the opposite happening? i don't know anything about protestant propaganda because i know very little about the church. I came here because of the headline of this forum "Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican" this is a lie,nowhere in scripture can you find any truth to this,if it exists show it to me.The only one who believes this is the church itself,i bet there are a lot of Catholics out there shaking their heads in shame of the church making such an unprovable statement.you can not link any man made church to the church Jesus speaks of in Mathew,again i say prove it.your substantial amount of links are catholic websites,naturally they are not going to tell of the dark side of the church. The First Crusade.

In 1095, Byzantine Emperor Alexios I requested Urban’s aid in fighting off the Turks, who had conquered most of Anatolia. Urban responded favorably by using his remarkable rhetorical skills to preach “Just War”– a holy, God-ordained crusade to liberate the eastern churches and the Holy Land from Muslim rule. By appealing to Catholic anger over the rumored (and often unfairly trumped-up) atrocities committed by the invading Turks, and by guaranteeing remission of sins to those who would participate in the fight, Urban was able to organize a large-scale uprising of piously outraged soldiers of Christ.

The religiously-sanctioned First Crusade, while successful in defeating Muslim forces in Anatolia and the Holy Land, was very costly in terms of casualties. Not only was there a huge loss of lives on both sides, but the horrible offenses committed by enraged Christians against Jews, Muslims, and even members of the “schismatic” Eastern church will always be a bloody stain on the pages of church history.

jethro you think your going to find this truth on a catholic web site? it's in the book of world history,which i have and is probably on here,they must have a web site

Houston, Canada

#440203 May 13, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>you do a lot of reading don't you?
Yes, and I take all of it as being based on opinion, knowing that as new information comes to the fore, opinions can and often do change.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 22 min Married in 8,507
Pope Francis leaves the beatification ceremony ... 10 hr Miss New Thing 3
Selfies with Pope Francis cardboard cutouts pop... Sat ELIAS IBARRA 6
Catholic bishops take first step toward accepta... Oct 16 Mychihuahuawillbite 2
Pope Francis shows strong, unique leadership fo... Oct 15 Gremlin 2
Gradualism and Holiness Oct 15 RevKen 1
The Pope's Criticism Of Capitalism Has One Weal... (Jan '14) Oct 10 QUITTNER Oct 10 2014 8

Pope Benedict XVI People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE