Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 692145 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Human Being

Sunset, LA

#440395 May 13, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wonderful.
Since you are intializing prayers, would you like to participate in my "prayer experiment"?
This will be a sure sign to let us all know if you are successful and sincere. AND Jethro is cured - if it works.
Would you like ot participate?
New Age Spiritual Leader:

Are you asking or tempting me?

It couldn't be that you think you have some "superior" knowledge.

I am just reminded of the Book of Job in this situation.

I am not so much interested in putting God to a test concerning prayer. But I prefer to keep my will within/subordinated to God's Will.

True, that may sound a bit timid in faith, yet I find my prayers are answered, and I try and spend as much time in them as possible.(The results are; not as important as God's Will, often unseen.)

So you may ask.
Just Sayin

Mount Juliet, TN

#440396 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They all teach that the god is beyond human awareness, and then they go on to teach that they KNOW what the god expects of humans.
Silly people like to believe they hold such power in their own control.
That's crazy. None of those religions teach that God is beyond human awareness.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440397 May 13, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
They all teach that the god is beyond human awareness, and then they go on to teach that they KNOW what the god expects of humans.
Silly people like to believe they hold such power in their own control.
To be correct, they teach that they know what God teaches in scripture, not what God "knows".

No priest I ever met told me what God knows or doesn't know.

Only Michael and Religion A Delusion do that.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#440398 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Please cite where the Church teaches "natural immortality".
Thanks.
The "church" doesn't. Jesus gave insight how one learned to be one with the ALL.---those teachings were rejected by the theocracy(imperialist church).

Location hidden

#440399 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming we put that issue to bed, you adhere to the Real Presence in the Eucharist, auricular confession and infant baptism? All taught by the Apostles, as you correctly point out as authoritative to genuine Christian belief and practice.
Thanks
Correction-"Roman Christian" belief and practice.
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#440400 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
IMO - people living today have more knowledge, are more literate, and have more intellect than those peeps from 2000 years ago.
In essence, I think we have a much better grasp on what is true and what is not.
Christianity has failed to provide the truth.

I agree there is more knowledge, and literacy.

I think humanity peaked around the Upper Middle Ages in intellect.

Fear is the main motivation in today's world. I can't say that has changed. But the greater amount of knowledge is putting stress upon all aspects the individual, society, and ecology of the world.

So the direction of humanity in the world is not correct. A lot of people out of despair are dropping out as a result. But Christianity is not the blame.

Just a personal view, I think Europe/N. America is used-up/sterile, China has almost peaked, Middle East is a mess, but Africa, and S. America still have potentials not met. Of course after a few thousand years these things will change.

Location hidden

#440401 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Who had the authority to declare that Christ's commission to the Apostles (thus, their ministerial authority) had expired?
Who made that judgement?
The papacy--400 years after he died.(namely Flavius Theodosius Augustus) From that point on the "pope"(by law) was god's representative on earth. Anyone who disputed it was killed.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#440402 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming we put that issue to bed, you adhere to the Real Presence in the Eucharist, auricular confession and infant baptism? All taught by the Apostles, as you correctly point out as authoritative to genuine Christian belief and practice.
Thanks
ALL False doctrines.
NONE taught by the Apostles.
Only in "Early Fathers'" writings or by false assumption.

Praying repetitive words using Rosary beads is forbidden.

FACT: Catholics pray repetitive words with Rosary Beads that were first invented in 1090 AD, by "Peter the Hermit" and made popular by St. Dominic in 1208 AD. Catholics believe that Mary appeared to St. Dominic in 1208 AD, at the church of Prouille and revealed the Rosary Beads to him. From this time, Catholics prayed 15 sets of 10 consecutive "hail Marys" in a row (150 times), in the Rosary. However, in 2003 AD, Pope John Paul added a new set of Mysteries, so now it is 20 sets of 10 "Hail Marys",(200 times in the Rosary, in total.) Catholics will vainly appeal to Psalm 136 that alternates the same phrase 26 times with 26 different blessings God gives us. It is not 26 in a row as with the rosary! This is also a song, not a prayer. Revelation 4:8 has "angels singing" not "men praying".
Historical note: Roman Catholics borrowed the idea of praying with beads from the pagan religions who were already using them hundreds of years before: In 456 AD, Hindus are thought to have introduced the concept of praying with beads to the world. The earliest reference to a rosary (boberkhas) is in their "Jain Canon" (456 AD) These boberkhas had various numbers of beads 6,9,12,18,36 (any sub-multiple of 108) Islam (610 AD) uses a rosary of 99 beads, one for each of the names of God. Buddhists have 108 prayer beads on the string. The Rosary is of pagan origin and no Christian prior to 1000 AD used beads to pray.

Please explain to me where the Apostles used pagan rosary beads.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#440403 May 13, 2013
Latin Mass forbidden
FACT: For over 1000 years, the Roman Catholic Church often conducts their mass services entirely in the Latin language, when no one sitting in the pews understands the Latin language.

Most Roman Catholics who have sat through such a Latin Mass service have wondered what is going on. It was not until 1965 AD that the Pope finally understood 1 Cor 14:19 and allowed masses to conducted in the same vernacular language of the local people.(English in North America)

Question #1: Is Latin Mass forbidden in the Bible when no one in the pews understands Latin?

Consider what Paul wrote: "in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue." 1 Corinthians 14:19

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440404 May 13, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe?
Are you saying that if all writing by "supposed" Apostles, are the transmitted Christian message, then you are probable correct, and I would agree with you.(That there are not billions of Gnostic Christians.)
The question comes down to how "open-minded" someone is, and their ability to discern concerning the "supposed" existence of other writings.
I am not saying it is not worth considering. Rather that it may not be for everyone to. I consider that there are different paths that end up on the "spiritual" highway to heaven.
So I may not be locked into orthodoxy, nor locked into progressive views as well. So I try to approach all on their own level, and share a little, and maybe grow a little.
Wonderful post HB.

Thanks for being honest.

Good feeling, huh - to actually speak what you think - without someone telling you, "heathen", or "heretic"...huh?

Actually, "God" has never stated any religious belief is heresy, only men have, so you CAN believe anyway you choose.

And approaching any religion with an open mind, an understanding, and a comparison of other similar beliefs is always encouraged, just to prove to the world that they are in essence - very similar with the same goal in mind.

I haven't a clue why some individuals think that they are more special than another human. They aren't. But they will go on believing men, that they are.

*sighs*

Keep your mind open, and you too will see the astonishments I have spoken of. It will come.

Thanks for responding!
June VanDerMark

Since: Sep 09

Quesnel, Canada

#440405 May 13, 2013
Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
That's crazy. None of those religions teach that God is beyond human awareness.
Do YOU know profess to know the mind of any god? Are so brazen as to make such a claim???
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#440406 May 13, 2013
Clay wrote:
Who are you to say what the Bible teaches? What sorta credentials made you an authority on sacred scripture?
Where did I say I was an authority?
Is the Bible only for scholars such as yourself?
I have studied for over 55 years what the scriptures teach.
If I studied piano for that long, I would be Liberace.

Location hidden

#440407 May 13, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
- you can stop pretending to be a Christian now.
-if you are going to interpret sacred scripture like that, you might want to prove that Christ instructed us to do so.
- can you provide a verse where Christ teaches that the Bible is the sole source and provider of teachings on His Ministry?
- if I'm understanding your mindset correctly... you are taking the NT scriptures away from the Church that gathered, labeled and safeguarded em for 1600 + yrs and designing your own religion based on what you see from your eyes, and ignoring what was actually taught by the Apostles when they ALREADY explained their writings???
- how can you walk with balls the size of watermelons??
Nothing in your book was actually "written" by the apostles themselves...except possibly, the Gospel of Thomas, which was rejected by the "bishops" for canon.
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#440408 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
Actually, "God" has never stated any religious belief is heresy,
You KNOW that ... do you?

:)

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#440409 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall Christ teaching that we were to become God.
....and I didn't slander anyone. Regardless of why they don't believe Christ is the Messiah, Jews don't believe He was the Messiah.
Because you don't believe in what Jesus says:

(61)

(1) Jesus said: "Two will rest on a bed. The one will die, the other will live."
(2) Salome said: "(So) who are you, man?
You have gotten a place on my couch as a <stranger> and you have eaten from my table."
(3) Jesus said to her: "I am he who comes from the one who is (always) the same.
I was given some of that which is my Fatherís."
(4) "I am your disciple!"
(5) "Therefore I say: If someone becomes <like> (God), he will become full of light.
But if he becomes one, separated (from God), he will become full of darkness."

http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/gth_pat_rob.htm
Human Being

Sunset, LA

#440410 May 13, 2013
<quoted text>
That isn't what I stated or posted. You are reading waaaaay to much into my posts than what is needed in understanding them, which is causing you to be confused.
I have no clue on whether or not Jesus was real. Do I care, not really, because I think the morals and teachings used are interesting and can change a person's life.
It's the same as if I were reading the Bhagavata Purana and being Hindu.
<quoted text>
No. Many folks throughout the ages have ventured into some new radical way of thinking.
Jesus so happens, seems to be one of them.
Radical man, just radical.
If he was preaching the ways of Judaism as he knew them to be, but decided that they weren't true, as I express as well, it doesn't necessarily mean he is still a Jew.
I was a Catholic at birth, but renounced that religion, because I believe something different.
Jesus seems to have beent he same way.

To the best of my knowledge Jesus never denied being a Jew.

Renouncing(repenting) of one's religion, to go seek greater truth, whether within and/or outside of oneself is a particular calling for some.

Consider that Paul(a highly educated man of his day) urged people to remain where they were at, yet he journeyed far and wide and evangelized. Some are called.

Location hidden

#440411 May 13, 2013
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
So, now "translation" means giving something a new name entirely?
I thought it meant the process of translating words or text from one language into another, as you cited.
No, that would be "redaction".
June VanDerMark

Quesnel, Canada

#440412 May 13, 2013
Tiger Lily wrote:
<quoted text>
ALL False doctrines.
I'll bet you don't believe the "false" doctrines are yours.

:)
Dan

Omaha, NE

#440413 May 13, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction-"Roman Christian" belief and practice.
Christian belief and practice until the Reformation.
Tiger Lily

Auckland, New Zealand

#440414 May 13, 2013
Worshipping idols, icons and images violates the 2nd commandment.

FACT: Catholics regularly bow down to idols, icons and images of Jesus, Mary and the apostles, kissing the feet of the statues and praying to them.

Historical note: The Pope deleted the 2nd of the 10 commandments so they could use statues & images in worship.

They split the 10th commandment on coveting into two commandments so they could still have 10 in number.

Donít believe this? Look at the list of 10 commandments published by the Roman Catholic Church! The issue here is not how the Ten Commandments are numbered, rather the issue is that most published lists of the 10 commandments do not include the words, "you shall not make for yourself an idol". Open your Catholic Bible and look for yourself!

Question #1: Does the 2nd commandment approve of bowing down and kissing idols?
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them." Exodus 20:4-5

Baptism is full immersion in water, not sprinkling.
FACT: The Catholic Church baptizes babies by sprinkling a little water on them.
Historical note: Greek work for baptism literally means immersion. There are separate words in Greek for sprinkling, pouring and immersion. Only the Greek word for immersion is ever used for Baptism in the Bible. The first recorded case of sprinkling was in 257 AD to someone on a sick-bed. It was then an exception to the rule and brought about fierce opposition from the whole church. Not until 757 AD did the church accept sprinkling in such sick-bed cases of necessity. It wasnít until 1311 AD, when the Catholic council of Ravenna, declared that sprinkling was and acceptable substitute for immersion and from that time forward sprinkling replaced immersion in the Roman Catholic church. The Orthodox church refused sprinkling and still immerses to this day.

Question #1: Was Jesus baptized by full immersion in the Jordan River?
"After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove and lighting on Him" Matthew 3:16

Question #2: When Philip baptized the Eunuch, did both of them go into the water?
And he ordered the chariot to stop; and they both went down into the water, Philip as well as the eunuch, and he baptized him. When they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away." Acts 8:38-39

Question #3: Can babies be baptized since they do not first believe?
He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned. Mark 16:16
"As they went along the road they came to some water; and the eunuch said, "Look! Water! What prevents me from being baptized?" And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." Acts 8:36-37

Question #4: Can babies be baptized since they do not first repent?
"Brethren, what must we do?" Peter said to them, "Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. Acts 2:37-38

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pope urges compassion from politicians who fan ... Dec 12 Frindly 4
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) Dec 4 Mr Sir 10,694
News Pope Francis is greeted by young children in tr... Nov 27 TRUE CATHOLIC her... 1
News John Paul I Closer to Sainthood as Book Debunks... Nov '17 South Knox Hombre 1
News Vatican backs Obama as Nobel Peace Prize Winner (Oct '09) Nov '17 Feeling Abandoned 37
News Pope Francis to stop off in Cuba on way to Unit... (Apr '15) Nov '17 whirlignmerc 11
News War, religion and tolerance Oct '17 The Bible Student 1
More from around the web