Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

Full story: CBC News

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.
Comments
423,821 - 423,840 of 533,887 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
<snip>

Remember Jesus was supposedly born a Jew. Jesus is suppose to be the son of God, yet Jews do not believe in sons of God. Why then would Jesus claim to be the son of God practice his faith as a jew, if jews do not believe in sons of God.
Only christians believe Jesus to be the son of God.........no one else from the entire mediteranean from 4 BCE to 30 AD every mention man/god jesus, or his family, miracles etc.
Isn't it Jesus' perogative to come as a Jew and practiced that faith?

I'm not sure that "no one else...ever mention man/god Jesus."
That would be very difficult to prove, yes?
OldJG

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

OldJG wrote:
<quoted text>
"Because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy." (Hebrews 10:14)
We are being made holy.....we are not holy. His sacrifice, Jesus, made us perfect in the eyes of God. Can we sin? In this fleshly body we will ALL continue to sin.
Now let me ask you a question. You seem to disagree with once saved always saved, correct? If a born again believer in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior can lose their salvation how can they lose it? If they lose their salvation how can they be saved again? When does a born again believer receive eternal life? Provide the name of one, just one, person who was indeed saved and then lost their salvation. The words "LOST THEIR SALVATION" need to be mentioned in any verse you might use from the Bible. LOST THEIR SALVATION.....who lost their salvation??????
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
By separating themselves from God through unrepentant sin.
Think I mentioned that.
You said, quote, "unrepentant sin". End quote.

So it is unrepentant sin that annuls salvation. Is this correct? You speak of sin as tho you are an expert on the subject. Let me ask, is it possible to sin and not know you have sinned?

Come on danny boy, you can do better than that. Your opinion is not enough evidence. Where is a name or a verse with a name in it stating this person LOST THEIR SALVATION? Where is your sting danny? It seems you are nothing more than a bee whose stinger has been removed. Or perhaps a toothless tiger? Take your pick.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>you should of added this"St. Luke's Episcopal parish in Bladensburg will come under the care of Washington Catholic Cardinal Donald Wuerl, who is forming a U.S. ordinariate. now who is paying who?? what you posted merely says "John Chane,"approved" St. Luke's decision and will allow the congregation to continue worshipping in their church,if the church is under catholic control how can st. luke be collecting anything?it doesn't say the catholic church will be buying/leasing the church.
The building is owned by a former Episcopal community. The occupants are staying in the building, have converted to the Catholic faith and are now "reporting" to the local Catholic archdiocese. I don't think the Episcopal bishop gave the bulding to the Catholic archdiocese, he's leasing it to them.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

chuck wrote:
<quoted text>
The words I am God...no you won't find it.
However, if you study scripture, even you can find verses Jesus proclaims to be God.
Want me to post those or do you think you can find them?
I'm very familiar with the texts that categorize this discussion.

It doesn't matter though, does it? You are going to believe men no matter what I say, huh?

You just don't want to believe anything else. I understand.

You've stopped seeking the truth.

Did I mention - all of this would be Self.

Why don't you believe Jesus?

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what your point is?
You want proof Jesus is the Son of God? Whose non biblical testimony would you believe, if someone back in the day wrote down somewhere that Jesus is the Son of God?
How much proof do you require to show that he isn't? One piece, two pieces?

How much does a so-called "Christian" require?

A: none - they have faith the men they have learned this from are beign factual, when in fact, there are no supporting facts outside the bible to support that the man ever lived, or had done the things we are told.

Your word against mine.

Self.
Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>they follow catholic teachings except one. and they're joining together,if you saw my news story.
Wow.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>are you implying i'm catholic or any other cult follower??? i do not follow any religious teachings,i follow reality/evolutionism.i do not believe in the one god theory,it can not be proven.
-
-
no, no. I quoted BOTH you and Dan ...
-
and I gave further things for Dan to consider - when stating point blank - that Peter had the "Keys" and so *therefore* the *church* could do no wrong.
-
The church has so strayed from what Christ laid down, that it absolutely cannot be the true church that Christ started.
-
Jesus didn't start the pedophile cover up HE WOULD HAVE EXPOSED IT!
Jesus didn't start the Inquisition, HE WOULD HAVE STOPPED IT!
Jesus didn't sanction torture! He would rather bear the torture of others upon himself.
THAT would be the absolute indication of the keys Jesus transferred to those who truly are doing his will.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure what your point is?
You want proof Jesus is the Son of God? Whose non biblical testimony would you believe, if someone back in the day wrote down somewhere that Jesus is the Son of God?

Your faith/belief comes from the bible.

Thats why it is called a belief and not a fact. In order to be a fact it is no longer just a belief. Every religion has their books/stories that indicate to them that they are right and you are not, just as you believe your way is right and they are not.

No one has the smoking gun of truth or facts. If they did, it wouldn't be long before everyone joined that one religion....

Catholicism today is about 18% of the world population. Comparable to what it was 50 years ago.

Most people of belief are so because of family indoctrination. You became what your parents wanted you to become........just like them, as they became what your grandparents probably were......the same.

Religious belief is more about hand-me-down family tradition than the actually belief itself.

Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
My mistake. There are no references by pilate about anything that I know of found to date. I think there was something a few years ago that was found but wasn't legible.
Yes there are people and places mentioned, but even today there is much contraversy about Nazareth being a city/town/village that according many sources never existed in the first century.
Shouldn't christians know more about Jesus? No one knows his date of birth, what he looked like, what he did for a iving, the most important event on the christian calendar the date he died is not recorded.
We know much about Julius Cesaer who lived around 100 BCE. We know his date of birth, his date of death, all what he did throughout his life, from many sources, and we even have coins today that show his facial appearance that were made back in his era.
Jesus we have nothing.
Jesus came into this world as a little baby, born in an obscure cave outside an obscure little village, grew up in an humble household and submitted to the authorities; his parents, the Law, and to God the Father.
He did not arrive in a big fancy blaze of glory like the Jews thought He would, like satan thought He would, like you think He should have.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>i've read/heard that many times,it makes churches obsolete,if all you have to do is gather in threes for Jesus to be there,what do you need a church for??
To recieve the Sacraments.
Dan

Omaha, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Philo the jewish philospher during the era that Jesus would have lived, wrote extensive apologetics on the Jewish religion and commentaries on contemporary politics. About thirty manuscripts and at least 850,000 words are extant. Philo offers commentary on all the major characters of the Pentateuch and, as we might expect, mentions Moses more than a thousand times.
....Yet Philo says not a word about Jesus, Christianity nor any of the events described in the New Testament. In all this work, Philo makes not a single reference to his alleged contemporary "Jesus Christ", the godman who supposedly was perambulating up and down the Levant, exorcising demons, raising the dead and causing earthquake and darkness at his death.
.....With Philo's close connection to the house of Herod, one might reasonably expect that the miraculous escape from a royal prison of a gang of apostles (Acts 5.18,40), or the second, angel-assisted, flight of Peter, even though chained between soldiers and guarded by four squads of troops (Acts 12.2,7) might have occasioned the odd footnote. But not a murmur. Nothing of Agrippa "vexing certain of the church" or killing "James brother of John" with the sword (Acts 12.1,2). "
....It simply makes no sense that Philo would not have recorded something about Jesus, vis-a-vis the Jesus described in the book of Mark. Those who argue that Philo would have merely ignored a crowd drawing, miracle working godman because he could not have conceived of the 'logos' in human form merely beg the question that Philo's position would never change, even in the face of negating evidence!
.....Philo never reports ever seeing the godman represented in the Gospels. His silence is glaring. And Philo may well have even provided us with a positive rule out for a real Jesus Christ:
.....devastating!
Why would Philo report extensively on whom the Jews of the time believed to be a heretic or crackpot?
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it Jesus' perogative to come as a Jew and practiced that faith?
I'm not sure that "no one else...ever mention man/god Jesus."
That would be very difficult to prove, yes?
Why practice that faith, if that faith does not believe who you claim to be.

Jews do not believe in the trinity, yet throughout the Jesus story all the characters were jews not following what the jewish faith actually teaches. Holy spirit, jesus son of God, none of which the jews believed in, yet jesus practiced that belief.

Wouldn't it had been easier if God just appeared to everyone on earth at the same time, then today we would all probably been on the same page and living in harmony instead of hatred towards each other over relgious issues?.

Instead christians believe the son of God appeared to a tiny number of people, in a tiny part of the world excluding everyone else.

.....makes no common sense.
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would Philo report extensively on whom the Jews of the time believed to be a heretic or crackpot?
Extensively you say!

.... Philo wrote over 850,000 words in 30 manuscripts about the jews from the entire era and NEVER mentions Jesus once!

Bible claims jesus had throngs of people following him around, thousands miraclized and witnessed by thousands more, shortly after everyone turns against him and he is crucified. BIG STORY! philo recorded........ZERO!

....devastating!
Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
DAN says........Why would Philo report extensively (he reported nothing) on whom the Jews of the time believed to be a heretic or crackpot?

MICHAEL says.........then why did the gospel writers (whoever they actually were) write about the heretic or crackpot? Why?

During the era 4BCE to 30 AD there were dozens of Jewish/Roman writers who recorded daily events, extra ordinary events in and around Jerusulem. Not one writer, scribe, philosopher, government official, miraclized person, John Baptist, jesus family, or witnesses ever record or hand down any story about this man?

No one else from the entire mediteranean ever wrote or handed down such a story and back in the day word of mouth was their media outlet.

Michael

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a believer because at an adult age you did research and decided this was the belief you follow, OR are you just the product of what religion your parents are, who wanted you to become just like them, and your parents became what their parents wanted them to believe to become just like them?

The Kennedys. To stay a Kennedy in good standing you MUST remaim roman catholic and be a card carrying Democrat..........like it or not! that is the definition of indoctrination.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
How much proof do you require to show that he isn't? One piece, two pieces?
How much does a so-called "Christian" require?
A: none - they have faith the men they have learned this from are beign factual, when in fact, there are no supporting facts outside the bible to support that the man ever lived, or had done the things we are told.
Your word against mine.
Self.
You may think there is no evidence of Jesus having lived and done the things recorded in the Bible. That's your choice.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

guest wrote:
<quoted text>
-
-
-
and I gave further things for Dan to consider - when stating point blank - that Peter had the "Keys" and so *therefore* the *church* could do no wrong.
-
The church has so strayed from what Christ laid down, that it absolutely cannot be the true church that Christ started.
-
Jesus didn't sanction torture! He would rather bear the torture of others upon himself.
THAT would be the absolute indication of the keys Jesus transferred to those who truly are doing his will.
Nobody ever said the Church could do no wrong.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Your faith/belief comes from the bible.
Thats why it is called a belief and not a fact. In order to be a fact it is no longer just a belief. Every religion has their books/stories that indicate to them that they are right and you are not, just as you believe your way is right and they are not.
No one has the smoking gun of truth or facts. If they did, it wouldn't be long before everyone joined that one religion....
Catholicism today is about 18% of the world population. Comparable to what it was 50 years ago.
Most people of belief are so because of family indoctrination. You became what your parents wanted you to become........just like them, as they became what your grandparents probably were......the same.
Religious belief is more about hand-me-down family tradition than the actually belief itself.
I rejected the Insta-Heaven Once Saved Always Saved religion that I grew up in.
I spent over a decade as an agnostic before being shown Catholic teachings.
I studied them and after many months, chose to accept them, not without losing friends and family over my conversion.

If my Faith is a hand-me-down, it's a hand-me-down from the Apostles.
Just Sayin

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
Why practice that faith, if that faith does not believe who you claim to be.
Jews do not believe in the trinity, yet throughout the Jesus story all the characters were jews not following what the jewish faith actually teaches. Holy spirit, jesus son of God, none of which the jews believed in, yet jesus practiced that belief.
Wouldn't it had been easier if God just appeared to everyone on earth at the same time, then today we would all probably been on the same page and living in harmony instead of hatred towards each other over relgious issues?.
Instead christians believe the son of God appeared to a tiny number of people, in a tiny part of the world excluding everyone else.
.....makes no common sense.
Jesus came as a Jew because the Jews were God's chosen people. He came to fulfill the Old Covenant and to reveal the New Covenant.
Before His ministry, He obeyed the Jewish Law. Why would He command His people to do things which He Himself would not do?

.......makes no common sense.

How can you honestly think that if God appeared to everyone around the globe simultaneously then everyone would all be in harmony and not have hate, ignorance, selfish pride, and fear?

........makes no common sense.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

Judged:

guest wrote:
-
-
-
-
-
Just Sayin wrote:
Nobody ever said the Church could do no wrong.
-
-
well if they did they would be proven complete and total liars before the words were even fully formed, now, wouldn't they?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Search the Pope Benedict XVI Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 1 hr Gee-Tee 8,204
Vatican releases schedule for Pope's trip to Al... Thu Barbarian 5
If Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin dona t like th... (Nov '13) Thu Finish this sentence 894
Pope's Turkish tour a surprising success (Dec '06) Thu fener 20
Filipino Catholics hails new saints Thu INC - Iglesia ni Coitus 36
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... Jul 30 psycho 4
Philippines and Vatican release Pope Francis po... Jul 29 ELIAS IBARRA 60
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••