Roman Catholic church only true churc...

Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican

There are 646307 comments on the CBC News story from Jul 10, 2007, titled Roman Catholic church only true church, says Vatican. In it, CBC News reports that:

The VaticanA issued a document Tuesday restatingA its belief that the Roman Catholic Church is the only true church of Jesus Christ.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBC News.

Anthony MN

Minneapolis, MN

#439877 May 11, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>how can it be a protestant church when it follows catholocism,except for the pope being universal,big deal,and if you read the news article episcopal will be catholic apparently,attendance is getting so low they have to merge with another church,and since the episcopal follows all their rules except one,it's the perfect choice of churches. wouldn't you agree?
Wrong. The Episcopalians are PROTESTANT, not "almost Catholic".

The Episcopalian community in DC is just one community, out of thousands across the country, that decided to leave the Episcopalian denomination and join the Catholic Church. The one in California that you cited is not joining the Catholic Church.

Just say you made a mistake and move on.
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439878 May 11, 2013
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
What religion is God? God has no religion..........religions are all man made.
Michael:

If you as a person chooses not to relate to God, then there is no religion.

Those who choose to make religion their god, are putting the system in the place of God, and that is idolatry.

If religions are all man made, then you as an atheist should be very enthusiastic for religion.

You are making contrary statements, and that is for you to straighten them out.

Since: Sep 09

Dawson Creek, Canada

#439879 May 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June:
Gnosticism has been around a long time, just as T-Tauri type stars. Just because English hasn't been around doesn't negate Gnosticism's existence.
You are correct. Whatever word they used wouldn't matter, as people in all religions have always bragged that they could tell the future and that they were full of "knowledge."
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439880 May 11, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>If so many people saw him how come no one wrote about him? why is there only one set of incomplete scriptures? there should be more written than that,and more complete.
Jethro I hope this comes through I love this Kid.
Its on face book if it doesn't

Student Stands Up To Lazy Teacher
www.mindopenerz.com
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439882 May 11, 2013
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
But the Bible doesn't say we should not drink alcohol. You are sayin it!
Why don't you just say, "I think people should not drink alcohol, its not good for the liver and can lead to alcoholism". That would be more respectful of you.
Instead, you manipulate sacred scriptures for your own personal beef. That's a sin LTM.
Look, don't drink if you think it'll lead to drunkenness. But how dare you imply Catholics are sinning for having a glass of wine.
oh I am so done with you all Clay. God said it; God did.
God warned us not to drink ferment wine, and He gave very clear reasons why.
So yeah the Bible does say not to.
To much ferment wine got you too I see.
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439883 May 11, 2013
jethro8 wrote:
<quoted text>If so many people saw him how come no one wrote about him? why is there only one set of incomplete scriptures? there should be more written than that,and more complete.
jethro8:

Living in a small town, the local talk, was about all the mass media of his(Jesus') time.

Even in the big city(Jerusalem), how much historical records do we have from the time of Jesus? Just a fragment here and there.

Sometimes, we put our expectations of seeing Jesus in this state of magnificent glory, but in reading the Bible carefully, he was quite to opposite, a very humble person.

Now some are attracted to people of grandiose reputations, and others to humility. One needs to pay attention to the quieter side, of the gospel to find Jesus. Have you?
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439884 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm used to them using my daughter's suicide as leverage.
It gives them the same type of high as they get from believing others will burn in hell while a supposed savior gives them eternal love and well-deserved pampering.
June VanDerMark:

In this life, the closer one is to Jesus, the more one shares suffering and pain.

I can only write to you and say I authentically feel pain and suffering.

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#439885 May 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
June VanDerMark:
I was praying on this subject yesterday.
And to me it is more a choice between exercising the desires of the mind, or exercising the desires of the heart.
The mind exercises itself to exhaustion to hide the heart which has been hurt.
So a balance is a more prudent course.
~~~

The true Christian way is to follow the leadership of the Spirit...

AS OPPOSED TO... the five senses (LIVE BY FAITH)...

Rom_8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

EXAMPLES...JESUS
Luk_4:1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,

PETER AND JOHN WERE LED BY THE SPIRIT ...

Act 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.

Act 3:2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
Act 3:3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
Act 3:4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
Act 3:5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
Act 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
Act 3:7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.

Act 3:8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.

Act 3:9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God:

Act 3:10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.

Act 3:11 And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering.

Act 3:12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?

Act 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.

Act 3:14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;

Act 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.

NOTE--->
Act 3:16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#439886 May 11, 2013
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439887 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. Whatever word they used wouldn't matter, as people in all religions have always bragged that they could tell the future and that they were full of "knowledge."
June VanDerMark:

It had rained yesterday morning, and early evening the dappled sunlight on the leaves of a tree caused me to watch the changing light for an hour.

If that could be a moment in the future, it is well worth it for me to remember it.
Clay

Lawrence, MA

#439889 May 11, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Why does OldG think he's a Deacon??

“" THE WORD WAS MADE FLESH!"”

Since: Jun 10

"ISA 53:1.--6 "MATT 10:27"

#439890 May 11, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm used to them using my daughter's suicide as leverage.
It gives them the same type of high as they get from believing others will burn in hell while a supposed savior gives them eternal love and well-deserved pampering.

~~~~

LOOK ... YOU DO NOT HAVE A MONOPOLY AND PATENT TO SORROW ..OUR SON WAS FOUND HANGED...WITH A CLOTHES LINE AROUND HIS NECK AND A WASH RAG STUFFED IN HIS MOUTH

EVIDENTLY YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT HAS EXPERIENCE SORROW..

.SO YOU BECOME BITTER AGAINST GOD?

AND WHAT WAS GOD DOING WHEN OUR SON AND YOU DAUGHTER DIED?...

GOD WAS DOING THE SAME THING THAT HE WAS...DOING

WHEN THEY ATTEMPTED TO DESTROY HIS SON BY CRUCIFYING HIM...

HE WAS LOVING HIM....OUR SON...AND HE WAS LOVING YOU DAUGHTER...

WHY BLAME GOD...AND COMMIT SPIRITUAL SUICIDE?

GOD DIDN'T MAKE THE CHOICES THAT ENDED THEIR LIVES...

ARE OUR KIDS FOREVER lOST...

ONLY GOD CAN ANSWER THAT...

WOULD IT NOT BE A TERRIBLE MISTAKE FOR EITHER OF US TO GO TO HELL...BECAUSE OF OUR BITTERNESS AGAINST GOD..

AND THEN FIND OUT THAT OUR LOVED ONES FOUND MERCY AND WERE SAVED?

AND WE WERE NOT THERE WITH THEM...

I AM STRAIGHT FORWARD AND HONEST WITH YOU...

I HAVE BEEN THERE....

OUR SON'S DEATH WAS NOT EVEN INVESTIGATED BY THE POLICE

THERE HAS BEEN NO CLOSURE FOR MY WIFE AND I...

IF I HAVE ANY VENGEANCE TO TAKE I WILL WRECK VENGEANCE UPON THE DEVIL THE STRATEGIST OF THE WHOLE EVENT.

I CERTAINLY WILL NOT JOIN UP WITH THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY
AND BLAME GOD....
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439891 May 11, 2013
confrinting with the word wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~
The true Christian way is to follow the leadership of the Spirit...
AS OPPOSED TO... the five senses (LIVE BY FAITH)...
Rom_8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
EXAMPLES...JESUS
Luk_4:1 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
PETER AND JOHN WERE LED BY THE SPIRIT ...
Act 3:1 Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.
Act 3:2 And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple;
Act 3:3 Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.
Act 3:4 And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.
Act 3:5 And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.
Act 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
Act 3:7 And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
Act 3:8 And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God.
Act 3:9 And all the people saw him walking and praising God:
Act 3:10 And they knew that it was he which sat for alms at the Beautiful gate of the temple: and they were filled with wonder and amazement at that which had happened unto him.
Act 3:11 And as the lame man which was healed held Peter and John, all the people ran together unto them in the porch that is called Solomon's, greatly wondering.
Act 3:12 And when Peter saw it, he answered unto the people, Ye men of Israel, why marvel ye at this? or why look ye so earnestly on us, as though by our own power or holiness we had made this man to walk?
Act 3:13 The God of Abraham, and of Isaac, and of Jacob, the God of our fathers, hath glorified his Son Jesus; whom ye delivered up, and denied him in the presence of Pilate, when he was determined to let him go.
Act 3:14 But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you;
Act 3:15 And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses.
NOTE--->
Act 3:16 And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all.
confrinting with the word:

It is nice of you to reference both Paul's letter, and Jesus being led into the wilderness.

I have been working on committing to memory Chapter 8 of Romans, and am about 3/4 done. It has much to contemplate on.

Jesus didn't say not to use the senses, but rather use them prudently and with temperance. Being in the wilderness, the reference to being without food, also extends to not just the physical, but in self-denial of comforts. His rebuking Satan, shows his dependence on God(scripture) to provide all.

This is something the Christian should keep in mind and heart in the love of Christ, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.(I try to do so.)
Human Being

Breaux Bridge, LA

#439892 May 11, 2013
OldJG wrote:
OldJG:

"Athletic Cone: I have learned much from watching the Garthok battle. It has weaknesses. I believe I can take it.
Beldar Conehead: Uh-huh. And let me know when Elvis gets here."
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#439893 May 11, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Why did the pope resign?
http://itccs.org/2013/02/13/pope-benedict-res ...
Clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Why does OldG think he's a Deacon??
Hey, everybody Cly is here. Golly Cly, we see you still suffer from the effects of your lobotomy. Take care Cly. Now be sure you go to muss tomorrow and watch the abracadabra of the priest. He turns Jesus into a cracker, right? Then, hocus pocus, the preist turns the wine into the blood of Jesus. Do you sell tickets to this event each week? Yes you do. You take up a collection and away you go. Good job Cly. Does this happen every week?
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439894 May 11, 2013
What about Jesus turning water to wine? Many are mistaken to assume that Jesus turned water into intoxicating wine at the wedding in Cana (John 2). One must assume this “wine”, oinos, was alcoholic since oinos means grape juice. It seems strange that some would imply that Jesus would have aided a wedding to be a drinking party, when His Spirit teaches against drinking parties in 1 Peter 4:3. The person making this case would have to believe that the wedding ran out of a lot of supposed intoxicating wine, and then supposedly Jesus made between 120 to 150 gallons of “the good”(more) intoxicating wine. If there were 300 people there to drink 150 gallons, these would have already each had about half-a-gallon of alcoholic wine being that “the guests have well drunk”, then Jesus would have doubled that what they had “well drunk”. According to CDC, 16-24 oz. of today’s wine would intoxicate anyone, and intoxicating wine back then would have taken more of the substance. If each person had only 16oz of 20 proof wine for 150 gallons, and if there were 1200 people there, the guests would have all had 3 drinks each and most everyone would have been intoxicated before Jesus made more wine, but then Jesus would have been pushing their limit toward alcohol poisoning with more. If Jesus made intoxicating wine, would He not be encouraging drunkenness, excessive drinking, and a drinking party, which are all condemned as a sin? To assume that Jesus made intoxicating drinks is to assume that after everyone had drunk all the other intoxicating wine, then they needed more of the better intoxicating wine and Jesus was the man to do it.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#439895 May 11, 2013
OldJG wrote:
Why did the pope resign?
http://itccs.org/2013/02/13/pope-benedict-res ...
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
OldJG:
"Athletic Cone: I have learned much from watching the Garthok battle. It has weaknesses. I believe I can take it.
Beldar Conehead: Uh-huh. And let me know when Elvis gets here."
Somebody said you were Elvis. Yeah, I think it was the poop.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439896 May 11, 2013
In the Bible, alcoholic wine was limited in content and is not like wine today. The sugar of grape juice can only ferment to 3% alcohol, which is essentially nothing to the use of a drinker. For grape juice to exceed 3% alcohol, then yeast must be added. The yeast added to ancient wines produced between 4-10% alcohol. Alcohol often kills yeast cells and prevents levels going over 10%. Today, wines average 12-15% alcohol due to distilling that was invented centuries after the Bible was completed (International Biblical Encyclopedia, Wine Makers Magazines, and Alcohol in Moderation Digest). Today’s wine is not Biblical wine in regards to alcohol content. Due to distilling, strong drinks like liquor go over 20%. When we read the word “wine” in the Bible, it may be simply grape juice or intoxicating wine up to 10%, but certainly not like wine today.
OldJG

Rockford, IL

#439897 May 11, 2013
Human Being wrote:
<quoted text>
confrinting with the word:
It is nice of you to reference both Paul's letter, and Jesus being led into the wilderness.
I have been working on committing to memory Chapter 8 of Romans, and am about 3/4 done. It has much to contemplate on.
Jesus didn't say not to use the senses, but rather use them prudently and with temperance. Being in the wilderness, the reference to being without food, also extends to not just the physical, but in self-denial of comforts. His rebuking Satan, shows his dependence on God(scripture) to provide all.
This is something the Christian should keep in mind and heart in the love of Christ, under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.(I try to do so.)
Actually Chapter 7 from Romans fits you much better.

Romans 7:15-24, 15 "For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh. For I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me. 21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. 22 For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, 23 but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?

Yes, yes, I am certain of it.
LTM

Marathon, Canada

#439898 May 11, 2013
Did Jesus use alcoholic wine in the Lord’s Supper? Many have justified excessive drinking and drunkenness by how many denominations have made alcoholic wine a part of the “Eucharist”, the Lord’s Supper. Did Jesus use wine when He instituted the Lord’s Supper? No, He did not. Actually, wine has nothing to do with the Lord’s Supper. The word “wine” is never used in reference to the Lord’s Supper. People have invented the idea that Jesus used wine in the Lord’s Supper. Jesus mentions the specific content of the cup to drink being “the fruit of the vine” or an even better translation “the fruit of the grapevine”. On top of all of this, Jesus used unleavened bread because it was the time of the Passover when all leaven was thrown out. This also included the throwing out of leavened grape-juice, intoxicating wine. Since “fruit of the grapevine” was unleavened in the Lord’s Supper, then the only fermentation would be between 0-3%. If with bias one asserted this “wine” to be alcohol, then this could only be 3%, which is useless to drinkers since gallons would have to be drunk to intake enough to intoxicate, but even then the wine would be so deluded and quickly released from the body. When Jesus used “wine”, then it would have been nonalcoholic up to maybe 3% alcohol.

The wine that Jesus drank cannot be assumed to be intoxicating or any more than grape juice with no more than 3% alcohol. Jesus neither encouraged drunkenness nor is recorded to have used intoxicating wine. Many need to reconsider their position on drinking alcohol. If you’ve been using Jesus to justify excessive drinking, drunkenness, and drinking places, then please reexamine your views to the the words and life of Christ. The reality is that the Bible does not support the drinking of intoxicants.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pope Benedict XVI Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News United House of Prayer for All People: Bishop's... (Apr '08) 13 hr Crazy 10,159
News John Paul II College of Davao (Dec '07) Jun 20 tine 673
News Milwaukee Rising: Looking for the city's most u... Jun 20 Tom 2
News Pope names new papal nuncio to the United States Jun 1 Michael 7
News Pope's zero tolerance for pedophiles faces test... (Mar '15) May 27 Gods r Delusions ... 4
News Pope Francis eases way for divorced Catholics w... May 27 truth 54
News Pope Francis meets top Sunni cleric May '16 Bullet Proof Pope 1
More from around the web